anonanon
Years ago

Ranking Australias Basketball Leagues

just thinking of this last night when the conversation came up at the local club, but what would be the ranking of each of the state leagues in order from strongest to weakest? the leagues in question are

NBL1
QBL
Premier League
BIG V
Warratah League
SBL

also side question, which leagues would spend the most on rosters, most to least? (approximately)

Topic #45548 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've seen sbl imports make them better than Waratah.

Reply #751873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That seems about right

Reply #751875 | Report this post

anonanon  
Years ago

my understanding is the rankings are

NBL 1
BIG V
Premier League
QBL
Waratah League
SBL

am I wrong? if so please correct me, I also have no idea surrounding the salary for each league

Reply #751876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is NZNBL above all of those?

Reply #751880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZNBL
NBL1
QBL
SBL
Big V
Premier League
Waratah League

Reply #751882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we going by best teams or worst teams of each league?

Biggest example being PL, best teams are elite, worst teams are horsecrap

Reply #751883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Are any other leagues playing 6 players in a game?

Reply #751884 | Report this post

anonanon  
Years ago

its a hard topic to answer, espeically premier league with the top 4 teams being elite, and the bottom 5-6 competetive but hopeful at best.

judging the leagues on overall strength throughout the entire league, not just best vs best from each league

Reply #751885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZNBL
NBL1
QBL
SA Premier League
WA SBL
Big V
Waratah

Reply #751887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is SBL really stronger then big V?

Reply #751889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sbl is very average, even with Waratah league. The rest of lists pretty good.

Nznbl
Nbl1
Qbl
Premier league
Waratah and sbl

Reply #751892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

having played in 3 of the state leagues I can honestly say that it changes every season.
without question the Victoria's main league is the best .

I would rank the waratah league and premier league similary , with perhaps premier league better adding more quality imports in recent seasons.

I would rate SBL and QBL similar as well , I think the QBL overall talent pool is better individually but too many teams makes the overall competition less competitive.

also you need to rate both mens and womens competions differently as well.

I think its a discussion that pops its head up every know and then and gets no-where.

have an Australian title with the top 2 teams from each comp playing off for cash.
disregard NBL1 and NZBL.

Reply #751894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time I checked the NZBL was a Kiwi competition with an Aussie team in it.

Reply #751899 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Respondents need to post which state they reside in as it tends to cloud their response. Seeing a post from someone who's actually played in the various leagues carries more weight than the standard "I'm from (insert state here) so every other state is crap"

Reply #751905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the Mens Comp, Its obvious NBL1 and NZNBL are the strongest, Im from SA, but I feel as though with comparing athelte and such and where players cme from, that Premier League basketball (mainly the top 5 teams) are much stronger then the other interstate leagues bar the Big V, and only a tad stronger than QBL

If I were to rank them I feel itwould be

NZNBL
NBL1
BIG V/Premier League
QBL/ Waratah
SBL

as for the saleries im unsure, alot of money under the table and such.

Reply #751924 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I would agree,NSW Waratah should be at the bottom as it really is not great and only has 6 imports playing who are not the best.

Three teams have 2 imports on each team and one team has a current NBL Player in it.

This league has not been good for sometime.

Reply #751932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QBL is on par with NBL1 - anyone ranking it below Big V, Premier League and SBL are misguided. Rosters are littered with current and former NBL players such as Jason Cadee AJ Ogilvy, Shaun Bruce, Adam Gibson, Will Magnay, Fabijan Krslovic, Michael and Chris Cedar, Mitch Young, Peter Crawford, Izzy Tueta, Rhys Martin, Anthony Petrie, Alex Loughton as well as a stack of DPs AND well paid imports.

Last year's champions had Harry Froling, Josh Wilcher, Jordair Jett, Peter Crawford and another great import.

Reply #751934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

934, wasnt aware of this, but NBL1 Standard??

Reply #751937 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL1
QBL
Big V
SBL
SA Premier League
Waratah

Reply #751951 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

As a former benchwarmer in the Waratah League I conclusively disagree with everyone's opinion that it is unanimously and non-arguably the crappest of all.

Reply #751970 | Report this post

CU  
Years ago

Why is the NSW league considered so poor? The state is not lacking in talent and good pro players so why does the top-level league "suck" so much in some people's opinions?

Reply #751984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the ACT league the same one as the warahtah league?

Reply #752216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA SBL is way above Waratah and SA PL

Reply #753514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been involved with SEABL, Big V, SBL and Waratah league and I would rank SBL well above Waratah, Premier League and Big V. QBL maybe slightly ahead.

Reply #760345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754