Anon
Years ago

Mitch Young Retires

According to NBL Twitter. Is this because he can't get a gig? He’s only 28 Years old. Could see him still making good coin in other Local Leagues.

Topic #45551 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another useless thread

Reply #751909 | Report this post

Norm  
Years ago

So young...

Reply #751911 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Kinda garbage player. Another one of those ones I'm glad to see out the door.

Reply #751916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all,the best with whatever he is doing or decides to do.

Reply #751917 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He took on GM role at Logan Thunder as a FT gig.

Reply #751919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was out for a season with glandular fever a few years ago, I'm not sure he ever really recovered from it.

I watched him last weekend playing for Logan Thunder and although he's still a dominant force in a league like the QBL he's definitely regressed from previous seasons and is unlikely get another gig in the NBL. He's always been big and strong enough to dominate as a 5 in the QBL but is to small to play the same position in a pro league so he gets pushed to the 4, and where he doesn't have the speed or skills to be effective.

Good luck to him.

Reply #751922 | Report this post

Perthsworld  
Years ago

So young pardon the pun.

Reply #751923 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He used to miss layups right under the basket. So frustrating.

Reply #751947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard he had offers that his agent turned down asking for more.
Then agent went back and begged for that initial offer and clubs had already filled final spots.

Not sure who his agent is but if I was managed by them and was still in NBL id be worried...

Reply #751954 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Was never NBL standard...lived off the Saint Mary's shine for a couple of seasons til everyone worked out he wasn't at the level.

Good luck to him on his future endeavors.

Reply #751964 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Was clearly NBL standard for a period of time but the league has moved on.

Reply #751982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is more to life than basketball.
Good luck in your future Mitch you have achieved more than us keyboard warriors.

Reply #751990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a team who offered him a contract? I'd be more concerned about that.

Reply #751997 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He was one of my favourite players and I was hoping he would get a training squad spot with the Wildcats, I loved him heart and hustle and you knew what you were getting from him. (The type of players you want in your squad to beat up at practise as he'd get up and soldier on some more).

Definitely frustrating watching him miss easy baskets after doing all the right things to get to the ball around the basket.

Good luck Mitch in everything you do in the future mate, I'm sure you'll be an asset for whatever organisations you work for in the future.

Reply #752004 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He was part of the Sait Mary's ESPN in Oz squad so they all got NBL gigs until everyone soon found out they are fringe NBL level guys at best.

Young, Allen, Stiendl from that group with the next lot including Pineau and Co being found out the same way.

Reply #752018 | Report this post

Joey's vest  
Years ago

The modern day Ben Allen

Reply #752052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who?

Reply #752055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhhhhh. The St Mary's Gaels basketball factory myth.

Off topic, but They have been fooling these lazy NBL scouts for nearly a decade now. Far better players in the NCAA at other schools. Players that have also taken themselves out of their comfort zone which is a great character trait in itself. Unlike the entire SMC crew

Surely someone has woken up to it.

Congrats to Mitch on a great overall career outside of the NBL .
Junior National championship, AIS, junior world champs, WCC title, NCAATournament appearances, solid NBL stint. Can’t be too unhappy with that

Reply #752065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

28 is young to retire these days. So those making comments about his age are living in the past. Also surprised to see how many rude comments have been made. There really are some keyboard warriors on here who need to let off steam to make themselves feel better.

All the best to him, and as someone else said - there is more to life than basketball.

Reply #752070 | Report this post

Trev  
Years ago

Congrats on your career Mitch. From what I saw a player who always gave all he had, was a great team man and showed passion and fight every time he hit the boards. Always there for the supporters as well. Possibly underused in the NBL at times. Wish you every success in your future endeavours.

I read the posts to hopefully find out what he was up to and hear some good wishes.
Unbelievable to hear some of the anonymous dismissive vitriol and one sentence summaries of a young man's honest endeavours of a life in sport.
Save your criticisms for drug cheats, match fixers, and those who don’t try, give up without a fight and disrespect their game.

Good to see some similar pushback from other posters with good wishes.

Hopefully Mitch would understand that anonymous negative appraisals wherever they come from have little relevance to his career and efforts.

Reply #752077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754