A A Ron
Years ago

Kevin Love withdraws from World Cup

Background music....

"Another one bites the dust, and another one down and another one down, another one bites the dust"

Topic #45554 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still stoked to be going to the exhibition games as I'm sure they will still be fun to watch but there's no doubt the World Cup is not panning out the way FIBA would have hoped. It still doesn't match the prestige of the soccer, rugby or cricket world cups and the level of talent these tournaments attract. Bit of a shame.

Reply #752075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love this knew game where i wake up in the morning and try guess which USA stars have withdrawn today

Reply #752076 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I new you would

Reply #752080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, at least we are going to win.

Reply #752088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On a world stage the rugby and cricket world cups barely rate a blip. Basketball world cup is still going to be huge worldwide and likely more interesy becuase the results are not so predictable

Reply #752090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket and rugby world cups, lmao, only in Australia would people think they rate. Ahhh the media in this country have blinded so many people.

Reply #752103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm. Anon, I'd hardly rate 2.6 billion viewers a blip. The Cricket World Cup was the most watched sporting event after multiple Summer Olympics and Soccer World Cups. It's then followed by the 2015 Cricket World Cup at 2.2 billion.

Reply #752134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting article here - https://clutchpoints.com/team-usa-will-face-reality-check-in-2019-world-cup-after-stars-withdraw/

It discusses the impact of NBA free agency on USA now not sending its best players to the World Cup. Not sure I agree with the author's conclusions but interesting points, nonetheless.

Reply #752137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cricket World Cup rates well in one country India, with there billions of people, tell me what it rated in America, China or South America or Europe for that matter.

Reply #752141 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When you consider that India's population is almost double the population of Europe, I'd say that makes them a big player, wouldn't you?

Cricket World Cup is indeed a huge event.

It's disappointing US players keep withdrawing, but I do tend to agree this makes the bball world cup more competitive, and potentially more interesting

Speaking of which, where/how can we watch the bball world cup? What are the best options?

Reply #752182 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Fox Sports or Kayo.

The debate is about how worldwide the World Cups are - the cricket version may have huge numbers but the point was it is pumped up by the sheer population of one country. It's nowhere near as big as FIFA or FIBA on a global scale.

Reply #752183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who?

Reply #752192 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I enjoy both basketball and cricket

Cricket is only popular in a handful of countries

To be fair, basketball is one of only two truly global sports in that it's played in basically every country. But, in how many countries is basketball the top spectator sport?

In how many countries is basketball even in the top 2?

In the US, NFL and Baseball rate above it, I believe?

Reply #752211 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

time to get free agents like Dwight Howard, Melo and Vince Carter on the blower.

Reply #752213 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Wow they might struggle to medal with the team they going to be putting out

Reply #752228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, I'm not sure but I'd be surprised if baseball overall outrates basketball. Football is definitely #1, but in terms of cultural significance, viewership, and participation, I am pretty sure hoops would have baseball covered.

The NBA is certainly putting the work into trying to expand basketball's reach internationally. The NBA academies are trying to increase the talent level in the NBA, but also deliberately doing so with players who may engage viewers/fans in enormous, previously untapped markets.

FIBA is just such an impotent organisation compared to FIFA and the ICC.

Reply #752233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The cricket world cup also took place over a month witb games lasting all day long. Would hope that they would get some people watching. China playing in China should boost viewer numbers. Baseball is in the slide in the usa. Football also. Basketball on the rise.

Reply #752255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those gloating they are going and spent the dollars to get great seats, flights, accomodation to see some super stars, we paupers are having the last laugh

Reply #752257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754