Anonymous
Years ago

The NBL Rookie thread

Probably a bit early but any thoughts on who might be 2019/20 Rookie of the year.

Noi
Glover
Wani Swaka Lo Buluk
Jordan Hunter
Others?

Are Ball, Hampton or other next star players eligible?

Thoughts...

Topic #45557 | Report this topic

Smith  
Years ago

Noi.

Reply #752150 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are Ball, Hampton or other next star players eligible?
Ball probably not as he's played professionally in Europe, the others are though.

Reply #752152 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Basically all comes down to who gets the most game time.

Reply #752159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi - will get oppportunity

Reply #752202 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's a bit ridiculous if the Next Stars in their first pro gig are eligible for ROTY. Imports coming straight from college were not eligible previously. International Next Star players are still restricted players. As far as I know, NBL teams can't field several Next Star players. They act more like an extra import, so I can't see why they should suddenly become eligible for awards that are traditionally for locals only. If the Next Star player came from the Asia region, then I can see a better argument for their eligibility.

Reply #752249 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

International Next Star players are still restricted players.
They literally aren't:
Next Stars are considered to be non-restricted players, no matter where they are from and the programme is intended to be agnostic with regards to a player's nationality.

Reply #752261 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

That shows how baffling the NBL's categorisation is. What does the label "restricted" mean to the NBL? I would've thought "restricted" comes from a limit in the number of players a team can sign from that category of player.

To make it more confusing, players from other Asian countries are labelled as "special restricted" players, yet they are treated as locals outside the salary cap. But somehow Next Stars are unrestricted? Does this also mean that there is technically no restriction in the number of Next Star players a team can sign? Obviously it would require the NBL's permission, along with their mysterious discretion, but it would be great for a poor team like Cairns to sign several Next Stars, effectively giving them several more imports paid for by the NBL.

I assume this confusing nomenclature is because "restricted player" was previously synonymous with "imports", so they didn't want to adapt the naming system too much to accommodate Next Star players. Easier just to say "hey, guys, these Next Stars are unrestricted because we couldn't be fucked re-wording the rules in a way that made it seem like teams are allowed up to 4 imports, or perhaps more if we suddenly decide to allow multiple Next Stars on one team".

If Asian players are considered restricted, then perhaps they are already not eligible for ROTY. It still seems ridiculous for Next Stars to be eligible for ROTY, while rookie imports are not.

Reply #752316 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't mind Next Stars players being eligible for rookie of the year but I don't want them winning it as it really puts over Sam Froling or whomever wins it and when others look back on his time in the NBL and we think it adds more to his career

Reply #752459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754