Anonymous
Years ago

Bogut vs China

I'm trying to decipher what's going on between Bogut and Chinese fans on Twitter? Anyone got the TLDR?

Topic #45575 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All to do with the Sun Yang drama going

Reply #752508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Bogut Twitter

Swimmers who medal vs Sun Yang should break the podiums with hammers.

From what I can see that's what started it off.

Reply #752511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Break the podiums with hammers"? Why hammers?

Reply #752520 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The sickle and hammer is a communist symbol. The Chinese are communists. I think he was trying to be metaphorical.

Reply #752521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sun Yang: Leaked FINA Doping Panel report reveals new details of contentious drug test

His security guard smashed a vile of blood with hammer that was going to be drug tested.

Reply #752526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of the comments left on his Twitter are borderline threats for when he goes to China for the World Cup.
Most of the comments relate him to being a dog with pictures of his head on dogs body's and most of the comments are about him or his family eating shit.

Reply #752528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Bandits
@perthbandits
·
Jul 25
The Perth Bandits congratulate
@andrewbogut
on his new role as ambassador to China

Reply #752529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being against drug cheats: "talks shit"
Well done perth world.

Reply #752534 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It was obviously a joke that referenced the hammer that Sun Yang's team used to destroy his vials of blood. It was actually a good topical joke, but the joke must have been picked up somewhere in China and been used to rile up the ever growing Chinese nationalist outrage. Chinese people (and robots) went full psycho.

Twitter is blocked in China and there is a popular alternative, yet suddenly there are thousand of replies in a couple hours to Bogut's Twitter posts? It's the equivalent of a DoS attack, flooding his Twitter with bizarre insults.

It didn't help that Sun Yang claimed that Horton disrespected China and that Bogut is also Australian, but I believe that Sun Yang's unfounded "disrespecting China" statement is a symptom of a rising Chinese mentality. There is a history of a collectivist mentality in mainland China, but now it is being harnessed like never before, especially as China becomes more powerful. It is a movement to combine anything Chinese -- whether that is the people, traditions, the CCP, or even foreign-born Chinese -- into a monolithic category, China. Combine this with the already mature nationalism movement, and it means that when one is challenged or insulted by a foreigner, it generates a widespread reaction as an insult to China as a whole. Don't like a Chinese athlete? You are anti-China. Don't like a CCP policy? You are anti-China.

Then you have the CCP employing people, nicknamed the 50 cent army, and their robots, to stir up support for China online and fight against any online anti-China sentiment.

This may be hard for some people to hear, especially among the most PC people here, but mainland Chinese culture has some very worrying features. You would see them as having a classic bully mentality. As their power grows, they feel entitled, rules don't apply to them, others are now below them, they have trouble managing emotions and aggression, they try to pressure and manipulate others to do what they want, they are unprincipled and selfish, and they abuse any power that they have. But this isn't a personality, it is a culture of the most populous country in the world.

Although I wouldn't be so concerned about all the death threats, because the Chinese online bullies are weak and pathetic individually, Bogut is still likely to receive a bad response from fans as a collective. Bogut could stop this, to some extent, with a grovelling apology, but I can't see that happening.

Reply #752539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From Bogut Twitter

Andrew Bogut
@andrewbogut
·
1h
Nmsl

(Nmsl)

Is Chinese slang for

亲(qīn) is an abbreviated form of the Chinese term of endearment "亲爱的 (qīn ài de)," which literally means “dear” or “dearest.” The term is most often used as a greeting on the internet in order to create a warm and affectionate tone. You can think of it as a Chinese equivalent of “bae.” Example: “亲! 我想你了!”Apr 15, 2016

Reply #752543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Bogut is just getting his jollies from stirring the pot. He knows exactly how the imbeciles are going to respond. It's been hilarious watching his timeline.

Reply #752545 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It's entertaining to read through, but to me it becomes disturbing. There are no Chinese that try to quell the most outrageous, vile and idiotic posts. There is no moderating influence. There is no Chinese-vs-Chinese debate within, it is all a one-way discussion. If the comment comes from a pro-China position, it is considered acceptable without contest, no matter how extreme it may be.

This backlash against Bogut is amusing now, but transpose this nationalist herd mentality into the realm of geopolitics and it becomes quite scary.

Reply #752548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut is coping it atm For very little. I wonder what Mack Horton is coping

Reply #752550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rjd I think you're right about pretty much everything, except the assertion that "PC people here" would have a problem with the assertion that "mainland Chinese culture has some very worrying features."

The reluctance to speak out against China and/or the Chinese government comes not from political correctness but from fear of reprisal. The worrying features you refer to, are, I believe, associated with totalitarianism, and not, say, yellow skin or slanty eyes. It's possible to be opposed to generalised anti-Asian sentiment (in that horrible PC way) and still extremely concerned about the monolithic 'China' to which you refer.

I am in some ways hopeful that China oversteps the mark sooner, rather than later, and forces an international response before it is too late.

Reply #752552 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

While I agree with you, rjd, based on the little I read in the newspapers, how is this very different from US sensitivity to criticism?

Isn't it amazingly coincidental that an Aussie swimmer has been busted for drugs so soon after the Horton protest? Does that sound like political influencing from the powerful Chinese association, or FINA showing a bit of sensitivity and backlash?

Reply #752573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from a select few cities, mainland china is an absolute shithole anyway

Reply #752581 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could people say the same about mainland Australia? Lots of miserable country towns or shoddy suburban areas. We have lots of natural beauty, but so does China.

Don't disagree with RJD about the lack of moderating influence. The West has the same outrage culture though so similarities there.

(Haven’t been following any of these topics for weeks - posting from the desert in Utah.)

Reply #752662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference being Isaac is you rarely see the amount of slander and death threats when it comes to outrage culture in the west (at least Australia)

Maybe jump on his page and read the comments left via China the last 5 days.
Racism, family threats, personal injury threats...the list goes on.
Oh, and its still going....

Reply #752677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In conclusion, people just like to be mad, so its whatever

Reply #752681 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"how is this very different from US sensitivity to criticism?"

I thought I went through some differences already. The differences include:
- the collectivist mentality (compared with the more individualist mindset of US)
- scale of abuse
- extremity of threats
- no moderating influence from within the same group
- viciousness of language
- ability to understand jokes
- lack of ability to handle criticism of other people or the country without taking it personally
- lack of emotional control
- lack of diverse opinions on offer in the media
- less exposure to a diversity of opinions, generally
- stronger state-stimulated nationalism
- a broader category of tribalism

Mainland Chinese culture has a much stronger us-vs-them mentality. Within their own culture, it manifests as a family (+"useful" friends)-vs-non-family divide, which explains the lack of social cooperation, lack of compassion and care for strangers, greater acceptability to cheat outsiders, and perhaps the dog-eat-dog mentality to some extent. Meanwhile, they have stronger extended family bonds. So imagine this same mentality applied on a national level where the divide is between China and non-China.

Reply #752688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'dog eat dog'

ha i see what you did there

Reply #752689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His security guard smashed a vile of blood with hammer that was going to be drug tested."

You might want to read the report itself before saying the sample was going to be tested. The whole reason for the FINA review was because they stuffed up the process for out of competition testing. As a result, the sample was deemed tainted and the Chinese refused to allow the testers to take it away. FINA was contacted and was unsure what to do. The sample test tube was then smashed by one of the Chinese association folks.

FINA conducted the review and concluded their testers stuffed it up and that Sun Yang had not violated the drug testing procedures. As a result, FINA cleared Sun Yang to compete at the Worlds.

WADA didn't like that outcome and so they decided to stir the pot by running a completely separate investigation, which is still ongoing. As a result, some folks feel like Sun Yang should not be competing at the Worlds. Sun Yang's past conviction for using performance enhancing drugs just makes people feel even more strongly about it.

My view is we'd have a lot less angst if there was a policy that anyone convicted of using performance enhancing drugs is banned for life from the relevant sport and from all Olympic events. It would get rid of the grey areas and remove most people competing with question marks over them, from the sports altogether.

Reply #752717 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^that was me

Reply #752718 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It annoys when people play the "we're all the same" card. We're not.
And yes, some are "better" than others.

I have worked extensively with and for the Chinese.
(Not people who look Chinese or happen to have Chinese ancestry, but the actual Chinese.)
The ideal that is drummed into their heads from birth, and that pervades their corporations and government from top to bottom, is firstly that "The Chinese Nation" comes first and foremost, and furthermore that it is China vs the world.
Their Xenophobia borders on hatred.
"We" may be far from perfect, but at least we collectively recognise that racism is wrong (even if many individuals fail to get the message.) For the Chinese, racism is mandatory.
And its not just the West they despise. They treat other Asians like dirt, and their hatred of the Japanese is pathological.
I've worked alongside some relatively westernised Chinese. (ie guys born, raised, and educated in China, but who have lived and worked extensively in the Western World.) Rather than being valued for their cross-cultural abilities, they are distrusted by the authorities and ostracised.
In the greatest of ironies, they send these guys to Australia, not because because they are well-suited, but as punishment.

Reply #752737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Summed up communism perfectly

Reply #752738 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

PeterJohn, without taking a side on the issue, the report did state that the recommendation was for Sun Yang to comply and then lodge a protest if his team had an issue with the procedures. Sun Yang team's autonomous decision to destroy the vials, when the testers had reached out for advice from senior officials, was stated to be "foolish" in the report. You can pick and choose details to support both sides in the report. So, yes, the argument can be made that the vials are likely to have never been tested, but they clearly were extracted for the purposes of testing, so your claim of ignorance only comes from semantics.

Reply #752740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754