Roofman
Years ago

Boomers preparation

In the lead up to the WC, there are obvious reasons why people have focused on other issues, but most analysis has focused on Ben Simmons (will he play/won't he play?) and the usual coach bad/players good debate. What has not been discussed, really anywhere AFAIK, is Australia's general lack of preparation games in the build up to the WC, in addition to the quality of these.

As we know, Australia play Canada twice in Perth, then whatever the USA can muster in Melbourne. To begin with, playing a team from your group is never a good idea (in football/soccer teams avoid that like the plague in the lead up to big tournaments) because you are trying to show as little of your hand as possible from a scouting perspective, something Brett Brown has openly stated he learned as an assistant to Barry Barnes in the 1990s. For those about to ridicule me, I am sure that teams WILL play as hard as possible in these games, but you can guarantee that both teams and coaching staffs will have sleepless nights after these games thinking did they lose the element of surprise for the real tournament. Lithuania, France and Greece (likely further round opponents if they reach that far), will no doubt be glued looking for clues to assist their preparation.

In comparison with Australia's four lead up games, consider the schedules for key opponents, who are much better prepared. Granted all of Australia's opponents are high quality, but playing a lesser team like perhaps NZ, Japan or China may be a good way to grease the wheels for bench players, while building form and confidence, especially if early in preparations. For example:

Lithuania: 9 games
02 August vs. Spain in Pamplona, Spain

10 August vs. Serbia in Belgrade

12 August vs. Serbia in Kaunas

14 August vs. Finland in Klaipeda

Friendly Tournament-Finland

16 August vs. Finland

17 August vs. Russia

KBA 4-Nations Tournament -South Korea- 24- 27 August

(SOUTH KOREA, LITHUANIA, CZECH REPUBLIC, ANGOLA)

Canada: 7 games
Aug 9: Canada vs Nigeria @ Winnipeg
Aug 11: Canada vs Nigeria @ Hamilton*
Aug 16: Australia vs CAN@ Perth
Aug 17: Australia vs CAN @ Perth
Aug 20: CAN vs NZ @ Sydney
Aug 21: CAN vs NZ @ Sydney
Aug 26: CAN vs USA @ Sydney

France (probably crossover opponent) 8 games:
5 August: v Turkey @ Pau
7 August: v Tunisia @ Pau
15 August: v Montenegro @ Lyon
16 August: v Brazil @ Lyon
17 August: v Argentina @ Lyon
24 August: v NZ @ Shenyang
25 August: v Italy @ Shenyang
27 August: v Serbia @ Shenyang

Even NZ: 7 games
August 5-14: Japan camp, inc games v Japan national team Aug 12 & 14.
August 15-21: Australian camp and games v Canada Aug 20 & 21 (both Sydney).
August 22-26: China tournament, v France (Shenyang, Aug 24), Serbia (Anshan, Aug 25) & Italy (Anshan, Aug 26).

I hate to say this, but I find it difficult for Australia to get out of the group, and if they do, the second round because of this lack of preparations. Also, international bookmakers have Australia fairly far down the list of favourites, as seen by these odds...

USA -400
Serbia +600
Spain +1600
Greece +2000
Canada +3300
France +3300
Australia +5000
Lithuania +5000
Argentina +8000

On Lemanis, I don't think he is the optimum coach for Australia (would have preferred Beveridge in 2013 or a very senior international coach with experience in this part of the world- eg Baldwin or Vucinic). Speaking seriously, I give him a report card of a solid B internationally for Rio, where neutral experts had Australia 5-8, the 2013 World Uni games silver medal, which is overlooked by all but resulted in Australia eliminating the US with NBA bound players at the group stage and a so-so performance first up in 2014. Yes, there were rough edges, can nit pick for many other coaches too. However, we are talking international coaching here, so I have discarded his club coaching and minor intl tournament results, and I am happy for him to continue (unlike some here) but people here will harp on about the coaches (decent on a world scale), players (decent to good on a world scale), but ignore the abysmal lack of preparation games, leaving very little room for incorporation of new concepts after returning with mostly the same players, three years older.

Topic #45591 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Apparently we have scrimmages lined up in China before the games as well which may bump our prep from 4 games to 6.

And Lemanis is good at playing cat and mouse with scouts before tournaments. The Australia of the warm up games looked nothing like the Australia of last Olympics. Lemanis wont be showing his hand. Probably get run into a lot of the bench and rotate guys. I wouldn't worry too much. Neither team has or loses an edge in this scenario.

The preparation isn't perfect and that's probably why we wont see Ben Simmons.

Reply #753248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, we are in big trouble.

Reply #753256 | Report this post

roofman  
Years ago

Another good example of an idiot... Thanks for wasting 2mins of my life having to read that

Reply #753273 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

" but ignore the abysmal lack of preparation games, leaving very little room for incorporation of new concepts after returning with mostly the same players, three years older."

Well, I disagree here. Our entire bench will be different bar (maybe) Goulding.

New players likely to play -

Sobey
Gliddon
Goulding or McCarron
Creek
Bolden
Adel
Landale

-

I am pretty sure BA has thought about all the concerns you've raised. I am pretty sure they have contingency plans for this. There are scrimmages arranged. I think they'll make the best of it.

Reply #753275 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

There is obviously always a risk of the team underperforming at any given tournament but the likely team compares pretty well to the 2016 Olympic team that missed bronze by one point, even with guys like Simmons maker Exum missing.

2016. World Cup 2019

Mills. Mills
Delly. Delly
Martin. Sobey *
Lisch. Adel*
Goulding. Goulding
Ingles. Ingles
Broekhoff Creek*
Motum. Motum
Bairstow Bolden*
Anderson. Landale*
Baynes. Baynes
Bogut Bogut

There is still a pretty strong core of the team that did so well in 2016, with ingles and Motum likely much better players and Bogut regressing a bit.
Sobey and Adel offer a lot more up tempo offence, size and shooting than Martin and Lisch whilst giving up a bit defensively (though Martin didn't play a lot)

Creek is likely in the shape and form of his life and gives up a bit shooting wise compared to Broekhoff ( which should be covered by Sobey and Adel) but gives us all the leadership, rebounding and hustle needed as a backup 3

I would argue bolden with his length athleticism and shooting is a big up grade on Bairstow

And Landale will never replace Anderson with his clutch shooting and leadership, but is also in the form of his life

I’m not ready to write the boomers off that’s for sure, I think most changes are a net positive from the 2016 team with a lot more athleticism and shooting added, they should be fun to watch even minus Simmons and still have the team to challenge for a medal imo.

Reply #753294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey
Gliddon
Goulding or McCarron
Creek
Bolden
Adel
Landale

The Serbians, Spanish, Canadians, Greeks, French and USA will be quaking in their boots

Reply #753310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, we fooked.

Got to be 5-6 teams clearly a level above us.

Only with simmons, Maker, broekhoff and Exum, we will have a shot at a medal.
And we desperately need some nba level sgs coming through.

Reply #753361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good analysis KR. Continuity of a core group of players, with some new additions firmly in their prime leave us in a good state I reckon.

Reply #753397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel for the kiwis.

No adams and have just lost vukona and te rangi to injury.

Reply #753573 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754