Anonymous
Years ago

SBS Viceland to cover remaining NBL games live on FTA

Further to the ESPN news of earlier today, it now seems like SBS Viceland will pick up the remainder of the games and broadcast them live and in HD.

Good news, or not?

On one hand, that would be the most games the NBL has had on FTA for a while, right?

On the other hand, not a great sign that the NBL wasn't able to progress its relationship with a big commercial network.

NBL still facing the problem that bigger crowds and online interest isn't really translating into ratings.

Topic #45593 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think it will constitute the most games the NBL has ever had on FTA to my knowledge.

As for progressing the relationship with a bigger FTA network, that was always going to be hard once Fox Sports dropped off. And to be fair, Fox Sports doing that is a sign of a much bigger internal issue with Fox Sports moreso than it is the NBL.

Basically, the NBL needed a FTA channel to take a whole lot of games - 67 to be precise. And Channel Nine sure as hell was not going to be able to do it - and if it did, they'd be splattered over some back up channel, not in HD. For all we know Channel Nine may have been willing to expand their coverage, but 67 games was always going to be beyond their scope.

9Go vs SBS Viceland? I don't think there is too much difference between the two, but at least Viceland is in HD, and in sport, that matters.

A League has made a successful home on SBS before so I think the NBL can make it work.

All things considered I think the ESPN/SBS deal is a 20-30 percent upgrade on the Fox Sports and 9Go deal due to the fact that ESPN can cross-promote the leagues, all basketball fans pretty much watch ESPN, it has global reach, and as for SBS, it is in HD and there are going to be far more games on FTA.

Getting coverage on ESPN is no small feat. There are no other Australian shows on the channel. Larry has basically made ESPN do something they don't do, and that is take Australian content. The closest they come to doing that is the adds which tell you what time in Sydney a game will be broadcast. This indicates that despite not being a ratings winner, the NBL has impressed. ESPN didn't have to take it up. In fact, no one was obliged to. The fact that he has maintained All games Live in HD across two entirely new channels given the circumstances of his main broadcaster dropping out is something to admire.

What will be interesting to see is how coverage will change with ESPN. How different will the league 'look'? Who will replace some of the terrible Fox Sports footy commentators?

Reply #753293 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Nine network dumped the NBL a year in?

Reply #753295 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

SBS has better rural and remote coverage. Saves me when internet drops out

Reply #753298 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The deal with Nine Entertainment was originally set to run for three years; however, NBL owner Larry Kestelman said a 2:30pm time slot for games on Saturday was the main issue.

"Nine Entertainment accepted that if we could find a better home for the NBL, they would make it work," Mr Kestelman said. "This agreement is much better for us."

Reply #753299 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

"Getting coverage on ESPN is no small feat. There are no other Australian shows on the channel. Larry has basically made ESPN do something they don't do, and that is take Australian content."

ESPN does do limited Australian content - have seen an Australian-tailored edition of SportsCenter on there and they occasionally show specials for the Australian viewers (the Ben Simmons Year One doco comes to mind).

Reply #753300 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I gotta say, well done to LK for accepting that the "landmark" 9 deal was actually a turd all along. This deal is much better.

The league needs games on FTA and having half of them live on FTA tv is good. But the league also needs games at times that fans want to attend, so having the other half of games in prime time slots (assuming mostly Friday and Saturday nights) is a great move.

I obviously don't know how the economics of this deal works (I assume the league will continue to take a loss) but this deal should see more people have access to games both on TV and in person. That has to be a good move.

Reply #753303 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

" "Getting coverage on ESPN is no small feat. There are no other Australian shows on the channel. Larry has basically made ESPN do something they don't do, and that is take Australian content."

ESPN does do limited Australian content - have seen an Australian-tailored edition of SportsCenter on there and they occasionally show specials for the Australian viewers (the Ben Simmons Year One doco comes to mind). "

Pretty sure there was also Aussie versions of ESPN shows like PTI at some point and they...er...weren't good. That said I think getting on ESPN is a good thing.

Reply #753304 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I think the ESPN deal might revolve specifically about a lack of live sports for that prime time slot on ESPN due to the fact that its predominantly american content. The deal is a win for me.

Reply #753305 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

So what happens to the live coverage of the World Cup?

I thought Fox Sports had exclusive coverage of all Boomers games for the Cup?

Reply #753309 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

SBS On Demand to broadcast every game live and free replacing NBL.tv

Reply #753312 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Pretty sure Fox Sports are definitely covering the Boomers games at the cup. I expect there'll be a further announcement soon of what happens with the other games. Would be disappointing if there were no way for Australians to (legally) watch the other games.

Reply #753313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on whether say Adelaide are playing at home, that this game will always be streamed live into Adelaide? It could potentially cost fans at games.

Reply #753314 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The whingeing about this and the ESPN news has been deafening. Anyone remember when there were just highlights of a game once a week? It wasn't that long ago. Foxtel is going down the drain so having ESPN jump on board is actually good. Also look how many games are on FTA, who cares if it's not being hosted by Larry Emdur.

Reply #753316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having thought about it, this is great news. Basically between SBS viceland and SBS streaming platform, the whole season can be viewed for free.

Great opportunity to pick up some more fans

Anyone used SBS on demand before?

Reply #753320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be nice if we get some decent commentators as part of the deal.

Reply #753321 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree with you Curtley.
Of course we'd all love to have every game live in HD with nice production and all in the one place (which even the AFL does not get), but at some point the financial realities probably need to be acknowledged.
Not a lot of people are tuning in to watch NBL games and until they do, we're not going to get sustained premium coverage.

Reply #753322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone used SBS on demand before?

Yes, constantly. it's fantastic, far better service quality than nbl.tv (which I subscribed to in previous years). I'll be chromecasting everything to my TV, can't wait.

Best thing about sbs and sbs on demand is the low ad content and far fewer crappy idents for shows I couldn't care less about. I hate being reminded about big bang theory and ice road truckers while I'm trying to enjoy a game of basketball.

sbs have done an outstanding job with the soccer in the past few years and I have no doubt they'll do a fantastic job with this too.

Reply #753323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of whingers in here. As per Larry's instagram post:

Viceland 67 games live and free in HD
ESPN 59 games live in HD
SBS on demand all games live and fre in HD
Viceland all finals simulcast
Viceland and SBS on demand international games live and free

Reply #753325 | Report this post

Tdub  
Years ago

Is this why I have seen any new episodes of overtime recently? Are those boys employed by Fox or nbl?

Reply #753327 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL haha, they're back next week mate.

They only just returned from Vegas

Reply #753328 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Nine was pretty keen to show them the door!

Poor ratings, high cost of production....this appears a "good result" but its really a last resort!

main FTA will not touch the NBL as its a major loss maker and no one watches it!

Summer in Australia equal people being away and outside on the weekends!

Reply #753330 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

"Yes, constantly. it's fantastic, far better service quality than nbl.tv (which I subscribed to in previous years). I'll be chromecasting everything to my TV, can't wait."

Not to mention that SBS On Demand is pretty much available everywhere you can think of from mobile apps to being on some smart TVs so the NBL will be far more accessible than it has been

Reply #753428 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Nine was pretty keen to show them the door! Poor ratings, high cost of production"

Nine paid $0 for production.

Reply #753445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, to your knowledge did 9/fox pay a rights fee?

Reply #753459 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

No HD makes it look average on tv.

Reply #753465 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Nine deal was based on the NBL getting a revenue of broadcast and online advertising. I believe Fox was making a contribution to the production costs (call that a rights fee if you want), but there would be others who'd know more of the specifics or indeed if that's correct.

Reply #753478 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754