Anonymous
Years ago

Expect a dedicated basketball commentary team: loeliger

Loeliger said today we won't be seeing channel 9 talent this year obviously and that we should expect a more dedicated basketball commentary team. I assume that means a few of the footy commentators who were used due to the Fox link won't be there too.

But just who are the dedicated basketball commentators?

Matt McQuade?

Topic #45602 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

I expect most of the colour guys will stick around, with Garlepp the only one that immediately springs to mind as primarily a Fox guy. What's John Casey's affiliation outside of NBL coverage?

Reply #753441 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Didn't they say this last year?

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/commentary-team-for-nbl19-revealed

Reply #753442 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Casey seems to be more freelance than anything, contracted for events ie SANFL and Olympic for 7, NBL for Fox and Nine.

If I was to guess names we will see:

Casey
Carfino
Heal
Gaze
Reid
Rosen
Williams
Santamaria
Trigger
Kerle
Worthington
Redhage

Reply #753451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please not Kerle

Reply #753452 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Didn't they say this last year?

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/commentary-team-for-nbl19-revealed
No?

Reply #753453 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Kerle is great! No Rosen pls kthxbai.

Reply #753454 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

You can't put McQuade on the box - that melon won't fit. Not to mention, his love of Bogut reaching into another galaxy. My personal favourite was during the blitz last season when he started rabbling about Boguts ability to shoot the three....brilliant stuff.

As much as I also dislike Rucker he's the best of the bunch. Dare say we won't be seeing him though.

Reply #753462 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's not so much his love of Bogut as it is his love of the Kings. He's an admittedly staunch one-eyed Kings fan and you can't really have that on supposedly neutral games. It's bad enough with Lachy Reid in Perth but even then he saves costs in having to fly a host over and isn't quite as one-eyed as McQuade is.

Reply #753463 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Will homicide be back? Personally I don't think he is professional and not a good look for a code trying to get into the international stage? Never heard a commentator bar him at the way he disrepcts player's and club's.

Reply #753464 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell commentated a few years back and was better than most others I have heard since. Will ESPN have anyone in mind

Reply #753466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously with McQuade? Sure he's well known as a Kings man, but I’ve never heard any bias from him. He’s always talking up the Wildcats as one notable example. He did a great job last year at the Blitz so I’d love to see him get a go, but can’t see it happening. I think we’ll see a lot more of Santamaria based on what he’s done over the past year or so, and maybe Cam Luke will get a shot as well.

Reply #753467 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Cam Luke is pretty solid. He and Liam have been great.

Reply #753469 | Report this post

Dwayne Russell  
Years ago

OH BABY!!

DOES THIS MEAN I DONT GET TO WELECOME YOU TO THE TELECAST IF YOU'RE JUST TUNING IN FROM WHERE EVER YOU ARE WATCHING FROM IN THE COUNTRY?. AND YOU DONT GET TO HEAR ME CALL A BIT OF A SHAKE AND BAKE FROM GOULLL-DINNGGG. WHO ELSE IS GOING TO TRY HYPE UP 18 POINT MARGINS WITH 2MIN LEFT AS CLOSE GAMES??

SHA BANG!!

Reply #753470 | Report this post

CU  
Years ago

Homicide is a poor example for the league.

He fits more into an after and pre-game show role, where he can spout his shit.

Reply #753471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with McQuade, good insight, Gaze, Wortho, Carfino, Trigger, yes please.

Reply #753472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no heal. Rosen and trigger yes pls. Love those 2

Reply #753474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NBL has been employing the commentators for a while now, although Fox would have wanted some say on the main voice, while Nine wanted a 'host' from their stables. I can't imagine there'll be much change, but could be a couple disappear that were forced on them.

Reply #753476 | Report this post

36er fan  
Years ago

I would like to see Brett Maher back. Do love Rosen and Carfino as well

Reply #753483 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood was very green and would go silent for long stretches, he could do with more practice if he gets another gig.

I'd love to see Rucker and James Harvey get back on our screens. I know people say that Rucker was naughty with his money and you can't pay money back unless you get more money!

I think Homicide would be best as pre/post game special comments.

Are there any sideline reporters that others would like to see?
We regularly see eye candy in this role but my favourite was Mel Marsh and I'd love to see her and other ex WNBL players can get a role

Reply #753486 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

do agree proud

didn't really like some of the new breed. Greenwood, Forman and Kerle just didn't do it for me at all

Reply #753487 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I thought Marsh was awful as a sideline reporter to be honest, she did much better in the colour role.

Reply #753488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see dennis cometti, even if he just did Perth home games. Loves his basketball (is/was the Wildcats #1 ticket holder I believe), is at most Cats games and also some some of their radio promos.

Still calls some footy on the radio and is a popular person in the sports world. Would be a pretty big coup for the NBL.

Reply #753489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greenwood turned his back on basketball, doesn't deserve a spot plus was no good anyway.

Reply #753495 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Get rid of Homicide? Are you serious? Yeah, let's get rid of the entertainment factor of homicide for the polite bore of Brad Rosen...

Reply #753496 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer was the GOAT NBL colour commentator who seems to have been forgotten about by the masses. He lives in Brisbane coaching but not at a high level anymore. Perfect candidate if LK era finally takes commentary seriously. Bring him back!

Reply #753500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yeah, let's get rid of the entertainment factor of homicide"

entertainment
/ɛntəˈteɪnm(ə)nt/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: entertainment

the action of providing or being provided with amusement or enjoyment.

Just FYI as you clearly don't know what that word means.

Reply #753501 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I know they won't replace Redhage but I enjoyed Mike Ellis more (if you don't mind).

Yeah Bruce Palmer was fantastic and I'm sure he still is.

Bruce Bolden hasn't been on NBL.tv but I didn't mind his work alongside McQuade.

Reply #753519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Greenwood turned his back on basketball, doesn't deserve a spot plus was no good anyway."
Man there are some haters on there.
Greenwood graduated from the University of New Mexico and was a key player with that team. Also picked by the Wildcats. Yeah no good anyway. Fuckwit.
No being chased by 7 AFL clubs as he is about to come out of contract.
We know who the loser is here and it ain't Greenwood.

Reply #753521 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer was very very good.

Sounds like he's semi-retired. Perhaps he could be approached for Brisbane home games, thereby not having to travel.

Reply #753525 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754