Senator11
Years ago

Wildcats sign Dario Hunt

Email just sent out by Wildcats.

Topic #45618 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats are excited to introduce the final addition to its 2019/20 playing roster, Dario Hunt.

Standing at 206cm with a seven-foot wingspan and weighing in at 104kg, Hunt is a versatile centre with tremendous athleticism.

Reply #753706 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

From the footage I've seen he looks very mobile, doesn't look anything special, but pretty typical really of Wildcats C's, hopefully he can contribute on both ends.

Reply #753707 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

He'd want to be a beast, that FT percentage is woeful. Makes Andre Drummond look like Curry from the line.

Reply #753708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can he stop Bogut and Shawn Long?

Reply #753709 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/wildcats-finalise-roster-signing-american-dario-hunt

He played with Cotton in 2018 and Wildcats are high on his defence it seems.

Reply #753710 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Interesting to see a few "veteran" centres being signed to the NBL this upcoming season.

Reply #753712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can still see a next star coming

Reply #753716 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hmmm...
This is exactly what we anticipated from the Cats.
An undersized but athletic Centre, with the emphasis on defence and speed.

Now on the one hand this is a great addition, gives good balance, and for once is what we predicted.

But my concern is that the Wildcats have not improved their roster.
People laughed at my predictions for the Cats last season, but fact was they improved across the squad.
This season, MU and Sydney have gone to the next level, NZ & Hawks are going to be very competitive, and even SEM is looking good.

Even assuming Kay continues his great form, he's going to carry a lot of the frontcourt scoring burden. If oppositions can contain him, we're going to struggle.

Reply #753718 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Tough to say we haven't improved, I think Terrico will be even better this season after having a season to adapt, Norton still has a tonne of upside. Kay and Cotton will still be very solid. As long as the rest play their roles then we should compete. Either way, it's going to be tough to win the title this year for everyone.

Reply #753720 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Looks like he's got pretty good ball skills for a center too

Reply #753721 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Here's the squad:

Martin / Norton
*Cotton / Steindl
*White / Swaka Lo Buluk
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
*Hunt / Majok

Reply #753722 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

He looks like an interesting fit for the Cats, seems to be confident and good at putting the ball on the floor which is something you dont normally see from a player in his position.

Reply #753723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin / Norton / (dp)
*Cotton / NS / Travers(dp)
*White / Steindl / Buluk
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
*Hunt / Majok / (dp)

Reply #753724 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Tough to say we haven't improved"

It's a great squad. On paper it would still have won the championship last year, and years preceding. I'd say that in many ways its better balanced that last year. Adding Wani in place of Hire gives us a bit more speed, and another outside option. Given that Tommy struggled for so much of the season, I think that Hunt & Majok will be a better combo.
And keeping the core together will certainly have its benefits, especially early.

And fair enough, can't expect to be gunning for the ring every year.

But I just feel that we haven't matched the improvement in the league.

Still going to be a good season, and have to wait and see how the other teams come together.

Reply #753726 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I think Steidl will see a fair bit of time at the 2 and 3 with Buluk & Travers seeing very limited minutes

Reply #753727 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I guess if you failed to win the title you prob are going to make a bigger effort to improve than if you had won the title. Definitely agree that the talent across the board has increased this year. Most imports have come back which has been very rare in recent years, and some of the new ones look pretty good.

I look at a team like United, who are stacked, Long and Trimble are super talents, however will they fit like the way Ware and Boone did? Too many cooks?

Reply #753730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guessing re signing White cost a lot

Reply #753736 | Report this post

Ganymede 24  
Years ago

Wani a upgrade on Hire?!?!?! Haha ok... yeah Hire's shit but this is a 18 year old kid

Reply #753737 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Who said he was an upgrade?
He's a different type of player is all. Cats over past seasons have tended to be overly tall, notwithstanding the youth factor, Wani gives us another option.

As mentioned elsewhere, we will miss Hire's toughness on D, and rebounding. Hopefully Majok & Hunt can replace that.

Reply #753739 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I guessing re signing White cost a lot"

Hard to say.
We're probably not matching MU or Sydney, but we certainly haven't gone cheap.
And whilst Hunt presumably isn't on superstar money, he looks exactly like what we expected. (Similar to McKay but hopefully better.)

On the one hand I was somewhat surprised we re-signed White. But he did do a good job, especially in the finals.
and whilst he didn't fit the "Ennis-Prather Hybrid" mould touted publicly, he is the Wing player that Trev had supposedly been searching for.

Reply #753740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hunt looks like a mobile 4 with limited range. Seems to have better ball handling than McKay, and better fundamentals than Cooke. I think they will miss Brandt though. He might be a bit small to defend some of the centres in the league now. I suspect Majok will have to take more responsibility than in previous seasons. Will be interesting to watch for development there.

Reply #753743 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

The guy can play, but the biggest question is can he handle and adjust to our refs... :/

Reply #753748 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

Don't focus on height so much would be my advise to those saying he is undersized. He has a 7 foot wingspan and genuinely plays above rim. Was most recently featured in TBT but got eliminated early.

Reply #753750 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

My biggest concern would be his FT% consistently poor his entire playing career in that area.

Reply #753752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really keen to see how White goes this season considering the injuries he was carrying last year. hes an athlete with a 40" vertical which we didn't really see any of last season.

Reply #753754 | Report this post

Me  
Years ago

He is very mobile in the PnR so look out for the lobs from Bryce and T around the rim.

Reply #753757 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So it's cheeseburgers all round when Perth visits!

Reply #753758 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"So it's cheeseburgers all round when Perth visits!"

Never gonna happen

Before he can miss f/t's, you need the refs to call fouls against the home team

Reply #753761 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Don't focus on height so much would be my advise to those saying he is undersized. He has a 7 foot wingspan and genuinely plays above rim. Was most recently featured in TBT but got eliminated early."

Undersized is just a category. Import centres, around his height, but with a great leap, are common. He's about the same height as Long.

He averaged around 11 points and 7 boards in his Euro-Cup games, so that's not too shabby.

I think he's a good fit. Just have to wait and see how much other teams have improved.

Reply #753762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is about the same height, Perth always get under the radar, they are favourites by a long shot.

Reply #753764 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Boone is around 6'8? Seriously.

Reply #753768 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Dario Hunt 206cm 104kg
Shawn Long 208cm 116kg
Josh Boone 208cm 108kg

Reply #753769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is not 6'8.

Reply #753770 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Boon is 208cm which is just shy of 6ft 10in

Reply #753771 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Think I'll trust a coach that's won 4 chips than anyone on here analizing heights. Perth are team oriented and hardly go for the best player's more the best players that are team 1st.

Stuck with the core group and that's the advantage they have year in year out.

Reply #753774 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Really keen to see how White goes this season considering the injuries he was carrying last year. hes an athlete with a 40" vertical which we didn't really see any of last season."

Those hops were pre knee injury, you can already see he's changed his game to a more conservative approach, google some of his Pistons footage dunking in practice, that was before his knee issues. :'(

Reply #753775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Before he can miss f/t's, you need the refs to call fouls against the home team"

that won't be hard Dazz if considering Perth gets the better of the foul calls even when they are on the road

Reply #753777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy looks like a good team player, which is what the cats have used to compliment their big scorers. He doesnt need to get 20ppg to be successful in this lineup. Playing consistently in pro leagues tells me has some talent and his mobility will suit the NBL.

Looks to be a definite upgrade to Brandt, someone who can change opponent shots and get a few blocks will be solid addition.

Reply #753778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Belgian league looked pretty good.

Reply #753780 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Perth are team oriented and hardly go for the best player's more the best players that are team 1st."
Cotton is easily the best player in the league, and the best we have seen for a while.
Prather when he played for us was the best SF.
Kay easily the best Forward.

But yes, Trev excels at building a TEAM. And this is going to be a good one.

I think I will enjoy Hunt. I don't know if overall he's a step up, Brandt was very good for us, but I think we'll see more dunks and more rim protection.

Reply #753781 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"that won't be hard Dazz if considering Perth gets the better of the foul calls even when they are on the road"

Yeah, but Cotton is a gun shooter.
Big guys don't fare so well at the hands of the refs.

Maybe his poor F/T shooting is a tactic? He goes for his own rebounds and then the dunk?
He's about the same size as JC :-)

Reply #753782 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Just going on YouTube clips.

Seems like a great pick up.

Can handle the ball like Draymond Green.

I can see him grabbing the defensive rebound and then lead the break with Cotton and White on the wings with Kay trailing.

Reply #753785 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Looks like a really uniqu player. Heaps of his highlights involve leading the break, and making great plays/passes out of the post. Seems very poised yet fast and athletic. I can see him giving some of the slower big men some issues if they get dragged away from the ring.

Reply #753791 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I can see him grabbing the defensive rebound and then lead the break"

Yeah, over here that's called a travel

You want him on the end of the break, not leading it.

Reply #753808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao @wildcats this guy is undersized and looks weak AF. Bogut will destroy him. Wrong signing will not last the season bank on it. And to think the bowling ball head Lachy Reid claimed this as a "BIG" signing. Really surprised Lachy! Surprised how shit the wildcats will be this season.

Reply #753810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One more surprise to come

Reply #753811 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

Bogut will destroy most center's if he wants to, it's about playing your role on the team. Perth rearly let go of player's.

Reply #753827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao @wildcats this guy is undersized and looks weak AF. Bogut will destroy him. Wrong signing will not last the season bank on it. And to think the bowling ball head Lachy Reid claimed this as a "BIG" signing. Really surprised Lachy! Surprised how shit the wildcats will be this season.

Thanks Con.

Reply #753850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will challenge for title while Adelaide are in the bottom 3.

Reply #753858 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Long was the best centre in the league last season, and this guy is the same size. Not saying he'll be as good, but ya can't right him off.

Guys Bogut's size, that can actually play, are rare. That's why he made it big in the NBA. We also have Majok as a bigger option

Reply #753861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754