Anonymous
Years ago

Tom Jervis announces retirement from the NBL

For family reasons from the looks of it?

Topic #45621 | Report this topic

Senator11  
Years ago

Must have something to do with the au pair that scammed his family.

Reply #753822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad to lose a solid backup like Tim Jarvis from the league

Reply #753828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Must have something to do with the au pair that scammed his family."

No that was Tom Jervis

Reply #753830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis.

Reply #753832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/tom-jervis-announces-retirement

Reply #753833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL
@NBL
·
11m
The
@CairnsTaipans
have announced that Tom Jervis
(@tom13ervis) has made the difficult decision to retire from the NBL.

182 games
3 championships
2014 Rookie of the Year

Reply #753834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor bloke would rather retire then have have to play for cairns lol

In all seriousness though, sad to see him retire. Still had a couple of solid seasons left in him imo. Was inconsistent during his career but had some huge performances when it mattered for the Cats last year, and was also huge for the Cats in his first stint with the team helping cover Matt Knight.

Reply #753836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably not worth all the hassle being away from family for 60g a year.

Reply #753841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

taipans only 6 contracted players ATM. wtf are they gonna do

Reply #753842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any good back-up centres in the NBL1?

Could Mitch Young make a comeback? or Venky Jois

Reply #753848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

luke nevill

Reply #753849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Tower of Power!

Reply #753852 | Report this post

Jick  
Years ago

Yeh said to see Tim Jurvis retire

Reply #753856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have seven contracted, tough one for them though, probably got him at a good price and five men of his quality aren't easy to find. I imagine Kelly was going to play with Deng as a stretch five at times, that might turn into considerably more game time.

Can’t think of a lot of genuine five options for them going forward, maybe James Hunter?

Reply #753857 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Jawai could be an option.

Reply #753859 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sad to see. Always a favourite, its been a rough couple of years for him.
Coming back to Perth, while his wife and daughter remained in Brissy was tough. It makes sense at this point to look after her career.

I guess he thought Cairns might work, but that's still means being away from his family for significant time. Not everyone can do that.

Best wishes to them both.

Reply #753860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sounds like, if the salary isn't lucrative enough, the sacrifice of moving family or being away from them just isn't worth it.

Interesting to note that this can also happen at the extreme other end of salary. Kawhi Leonard commented in his recent decision that proximity to family was a big part of his move to the Clippers. Once you have millions and will get millions more regardless of location, why not make the decision that puts you around your extended family for as much of the year as possible.

Reply #753862 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I guess the pressure to resign Jawai just intensified.

Cairns really struggling to assemble a roster, and have very little continuity. Teams are getting into their pre-seasons now, and Cairns only have half a team

Reply #753863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sounds like, if the salary isn't lucrative enough, the sacrifice of moving family or being away from them just isn't worth it."

But I thought the whole reason to move from Perth to Cairns was to be with the family? Because his wife works in QLD?

Reply #753867 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty sure I read that she works in Melbourne.

Reply #753873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought she was a lawyer or something at a firm in Brisbane

Reply #753875 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I could be wrong but I thought they were based in Brisbane initially for his first year at the Bullets then his wife was transferred to Melbourne prior to his second year with the Bullets and she remained in Melbourne during last season with the Wildcats. I remember people saying prior to signing with Cairns he was trying to get a contract with SEM.

This article about that au pair that scammed them is a bit confusing but lines up with starting off in Brisbane and ending in Melbourne.

A former Perth Wildcats player says he's the latest to fall victim to a serial conwoman he hired as an au pair, who he claims went on to steal his wife's identity.

Tom Jervis and wife, Jazze, told Radio 6PR they believe they were deceived by Australian woman Samantha Azzopardi, 31, who lived with them in their Brisbane home for a year caring for their young daughter.

Mr Jervis said the last time he saw the suspected Azzopardi was when he dropped her at Melbourne Airport, where she said she was catching a flight to Perth.

A Victoria Police spokesman said police were investigating reports of alleged deception in the state, dating back to July 2018.

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/western-australia/perth-wildcats-player-may-be-latest-victim-of-australian-conwoman-posing-as-au-pair-20190711-p5267i.html

Reply #753878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frontcourt likely

Deng/Jois/Krslovic
Oliver/Jawai

Reply #753880 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Personally I can't see Jawai finally after all this time re-singing with the Taipans to come off of the bench.

Reply #753882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see cairns Taipans becoming northern Taipans soon playing out iof both cairns and Townsville.
Trying to boost support and funds.

Reply #753883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath, acuil, mathiang all signed somewhere else?

Reply #753888 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Ben Allen

Reply #753902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jois was asking for $180g two seasons back before he went to Europe, was the word, if true can't see Cairns paying. It was a good source.

Reply #753909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come Jois is always so hyped up? Looks pretty ordinary from the bits we've seen of him in the NBL.

Reply #753912 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

That's because his agent is an egotistical dick. The other condition attached to his asking price was guaranteed starter - at least at one club anyways. Venky needs to find a new rep.

Reply #753927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I can see cairns Taipans becoming northern Taipans soon playing out iof both cairns and Townsville.
Trying to boost support and funds."

they're 5 hours drive away from each other and both cities hate each other. per capita cairns has the highest attendance in the league.

Reply #753928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ig they sign Tommy Hamilton or Egwu I'm going to fucking cry.

Reply #753929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That's because his agent is an egotistical dick. The other condition attached to his asking price was guaranteed starter - at least at one club anyways. Venky needs to find a new rep."

Who is his agent?

Reply #753933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agent_clients/Daniel-Moldovan/148

Reply #753937 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Don't know TBH. Obviously knew she had a good job in Brisbane, and last article I read talked about him leaving his family there. Last I heard Jazz was still with Suncorp, but maybe she got a transfer, promotion, or better offer.

Wouldn't make a lot of sense though to go to Cairns in the 1dt place. Being absent from family was acknowledged as a big issue last season, so I just assumed he was trying to get closer. (Although Brissy to Cairns still a fair trek.)

Or maybe Cairns was the only offer he could get??
Anyway best wishes to them both, and hopefully he finds a good job past NBL, or just enjoys being a home-dad.

Reply #753938 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Anyway congratulations to Tom Jervis.

Started his NBL career late and still won 3 championships.

He is still a serviceable player maybe we will see him at the state level.

Reply #753941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Lual-Acuil?

Reply #754017 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That conwoman that ripped off Tom Jervis and his wife has been jailed after her latest scam.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/courts-law/samantha-azzopardi-fake-nanny-and-pretend-schoolgirl-saga-drags-on/news-story/5e59b7ae107ea0176343e33296bc5771

Reply #850279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow they paid her effectively $13,000 pa. ($250pw.) So who is ripping off who?

Reply #850300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754