D2.0
Years ago

Will the Wildcats sign a Next Star?

It's weird.
Not trying to blow their trumpet, but they have traditionally been very proactive in exploring "innovative" solutions.
Historically its been naturalised players, then more recently "stashed" draftees, and exploiting the Oceania rule.
Not saying they were the only ones, but they were certainly in the mix.

And with Trev loving to spend so much time at Summer League, I'd have thought Next Stars would be right up their alley.

And I haven't heard anything one way or the other, so I suppose they could announce a signing at any time...

But almost get the "gut feeling" that its not something they're interested in?
Stashed players aside, they like to build longevity where they can, so perhaps that's it?
Or maybe its just the Sultana Bran I had for breakfast?

Topic #45624 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.

Reply #753910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already got two teenagers in the team in Swaka Lo Buluk and Travers, so I think they'll focus on them as far as development of young talent.

Reply #753911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love them to sign one that can contribute something right away and be a spark of the bench since imo our roster is just lacking something still. Sadly i don't see it happening though.

Reply #753921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next star player has to want to sign with the team and no next star is going to want to play in Perth. Perth have a 100% win mindset rather than a developing young players mindset. Other teams develop players and then the cats just pay them a boatload of money to relocate to Perth like they did with Norton Kay and Brandt.

Reply #753936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep, can't have a thread about Perth without some butthurt Adelaide fan crying

Reply #753939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Must be 1or 2 next stars left.
It would be good to see an Australian next star.

Reply #753943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trev has no history of developing young talent. He wouldnt play a next Stars, and the NBL knows it. For a program trying to take off, putting NS in Perth would shut it down after they realize he doesn't play more than 30 mins for the season.

Reply #753949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Don't know how that bodes for Travers and Swaka then!

Reply #753950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Trev has no history of developing young talent. He wouldnt play a next Stars"

What about James Ennis?

Reply #754000 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nobody plays a Next Star for the fun of it.
They certainly don't do it to "develop" a player who won't be here next year.
They get minutes when it helps the team.

For the record, the Wildcats have a very strong development and training program.

Obviously if a Next Star is purely chasing minutes, then going to Cairns would be the best bet. but otherwise the Cats are just as strong candidate as Melbourne or Sydney.

I don't think we're likely to see Australian Next Stars, unless its another Simmons.
The primary goal of the program seems to be to boost visibility and reputation in the USA. Which means the candidates need to already have a following over there, eg as a top High School prospect.

Reply #754035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

["Trev has no history of developing young talent. He wouldnt play a next Stars"

What about James Ennis?]

haha you mean a 23 year old NBA second round draft pick?? hardly.

Even the kings draft pick this year is still only 19.

Trev doesn't play youth. In no team has he capitalised on playing young guys. Even Rhys Vague has been 4 years in the league and barley gets minutes. Compare that to Daniel Grida.

Wani, Travers and Rhys will all barely get on the court this year. Add a USA high school kid and that is just trouble.

Reply #754041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For the record, the Wildcats have a very strong development and training program."

Yes they did. Driven by Nielsen and Forde. Gleeson not so much.

Reply #754043 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

One of the reason's to have a Next Star player is to help put bums in seats along with a young kid getting exposure and building our connections with USA basketball. I'm sure if the right fit guy came along we'd go for one, but we don't need to put bums in seats as we've built a very strong following with 11,000+ memberships, so seems silly taking a young guy who won't get much playing time at all if they want exposure to be drafted in the NBA.

Reply #754090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"haha you mean a 23 year old NBA second round draft pick?? hardly."

What do you think a Next Star is?

Reply #754125 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think Lamar can only generate publicity for the Hawks, and for sure we don't need such a headache.
But given the bench-cap is restricting us, why ignore the opportunity for a free hit.

Ok, so an 8 man bench is starting to get a bit ridiculous, By Wani and Travers are definitely long-term prospects. They won't get big minutes unless they deserve it.
Plus there will always be injuries.

Reply #754179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, so an 8 man bench is starting to get a bit ridiculous, By Wani and Travers are definitely long-term prospects. They won't get big minutes unless they deserve it.
Plus there will always be injuries.

+ training games

Reply #754233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754