Anonymous
Years ago

Greg Hire negotiating with Sydney

This was mentioned in today's NBL website article. Would feel weird to see the battling WA guy join the big city slickers

Topic #45628 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't they be better getting a young guy in, not certain why he’d come out retirement, wasn’t he injury banged up.

Reply #753993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He wasn't banged up the slightest... has no injury issues at all. He retired on his own terms, gave everything to the club and felt Trev didn’t give him the same respect back

Reply #754002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he should have left years ago if he felt that way.

Reply #754004 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

At least he won't get abused in supermarkets anymore by Wildcats fans.

Reply #754007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe his priorities shifted in life and when he realised key pieces were leaving the team (Forde & Neilson) it was time to move on.

Reply #754008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He wasn't banged up the slightest... has no injury issues at all. He retired on his own terms, gave everything to the club and felt Trev didn't give him the same respect back"

In a radio interview after he announced his retirement, Hire mentioned that Gleeson told him he would still have a contract next season if he wanted it.

So it seems like Perth was still keen to hang on to him.

Reply #754011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slow thread day with conflicting anoñ comments above.

Reply #754016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not really conflicting when the first anon completely made something up.

Reply #754020 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Umm, he's had a string of successive calf injuries.
Which is not to say he couldn't still play ball, he's still kicking along in the SBL last I heard, but it has limited some of his ability.

I don't know if he was nudged. I do know that he offered last season to quit mid-season and allow them to bring in that fabled 3rd import.
Maybe he just felt that with Vague coming on he'd get even less court time?

Seems strange that Sydney would be interested.
Maybe this was Lachie's big surprise? It certainly would be.

Reply #754031 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

That supprise was Jervis retiring bud

Reply #754034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's still playing SBL and has put on better numbers than he did last year and added 3x3 to his workload so I would think the calf issues aren’t a problem.

He was definitely not nudged - Vague plays the 4/5 so there is no conflict there with minutes and management asked Hire if he would reconsider his retirement at the completion of the season.

There’s plenty behind the scenes that will come out in due time, why Forde and Nielsen left, the whole third import situation and a player actually being told their services were no longer required... (Not Hire)

Reply #754040 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hire has long been the 3rd wheel, and in some ways almost a throwback. He's a PF, a stretch 4 when his shooting was hot.
That was fine when the Cats still played a 3 man wall, but in latter seasons he's been forced to try and make it as a SF, and to survive as role-playing rebounder.

Vague played Centre as a Junior. Now he plays as a stretch 4, sometimes filling the 3 spot. Only time he saw the 5 was with injuries and massive foul troubles.

Hire's calves have definitely had an impact. Last I saw him play he was still wearing support, and he can nolonger elevate much.
Yes, as I said, he's still shining in the SBL. It's a smaller, slower, less-skilled league, and he can still perform there. (Even Redhage played for a couple of seasons after retiring from NBL.)

As I said in another thread at the time, I would not have been surprised to see him recalled, after Brandt and Tommy left, and it became clear we would use the import slot on a Centre.
I also would not be surprised to see him at training, or to suit up when we get an injury.

Reply #754057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing you haven’t seen him play for a while then... hasn’t played with support for some time.

And I guarantee you Vague won’t play minutes at the 3 this year - will split minutes at the 4/5

Reply #754061 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Redhage is still playing SBL...

Reply #754075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sbl is so far behind the nbl it's no guide.

Reply #754076 | Report this post

TH62  
Years ago

Hire a PF ?
Maybe when he played for the Wolves, but never in the NBL.
He was always a 3, tried to be a shooting guard, but never had the quickness.

Reply #754096 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Negotiating to be another special adviser maybe, but even the Kings wouldn't bring him on, surely?

Great guy, don't get me wrong, but if they do that over bringing in that last proper starting quality PF, then there's yet more problems in the GOAT City...

Reply #754264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the new management team have started extremely well, money isn't as available any more, they have a lot good pieces in place. There one and five man are elite, fill the place around them, most teams are running smaller four men this season, Newley and Lisch still there, if Moller steps up to the four spot they should be fine, he’s a rebounder and has length. Didi looks good, Tate like all imports time will tell. I’m hoping the kings play a few preseason games and we should get some idea.

Reply #754274 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Redhage is still playing SBL... "

Which just emphasises my point. As along as your body is basically in one piece, ex-NBL guys can carry on playing SBL with some success. Hire could keep playing for years. Doesn't mean they're ready to re-join an NBL roster.

Although, as I said, he'd be ok as an injury replacement.

Reply #754341 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Hire a PF ?
Maybe when he played for the Wolves, but never in the NBL.
He was always a 3, tried to be a shooting guard, but never had the quickness."

You're confusing what he is, vs the roles he's been forced to play, and forgetting that the game has changed.

Hire is a PF, a stretch-4 when his shooting was on. In the days when teams ran with 3 forwards, he was a good fit for the 3 spot, and that's the slot he's continued to occupy as the backup 3.
But every season the game has moved that bit further away with the preference now being to play another wing.

Yes, when our only backup guard was Kenny, Hire had to backup the 2, and won a ring doing it, but that was never his natural game.

Reply #754348 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"And I guarantee you Vague won't play minutes at the 3 this year - will split minutes at the 4/5"

Sigh...

As I said, Vague is a Stretch 4.

There were times last season, when a combination of injuries and foul trouble, saw him being the biggest Cat on court. I'd hope that doesn't happen again, but its still possible.

At other times, with the combination then on the floor, he was by default the 3. We've yet to really see it in full swing, but he is favoured as having a good outside shot.

I'm hoping for big things this year from vague. He had a good season in the NZBL, made the top 10, so I'd expect to see him holding down the backup 4 role.
But these things are always slightly fluidic. Depending on injuries, fouls, matchups, and who's hot.

Wani is an exciting prospect, but remains to be seen how many minutes he actually gets.

Reply #754354 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754