Air Delay
Years ago

Outback Shaq is BACK! - Jawai officially re-signs

And it's finally official. Like one of those awkward super long engagements that questions whether it's actually going to happen or not, the big man has finally put pen to paper & resigned with the Snakes!

So with the powerful, playmaking, post playing powerhouse in the paint officially back. What's next? How will they round out their roster? With what 2 locals?

Anyone got any inside mail?

Topic #45632 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No mail but need to check letterbox.
Certainly curious as to who is available as backup centre.

Reply #754078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Following the recent news regarding Tom Jervis' retirement, Jawai joins the Taipans 2019/20 line-up which currently consists of Cameron Oliver, Jarrod Kenny, Kouat Noi, Majok Deng, Mirko Djeric and Fabijan Krslovic. The Taipans have two import players and two more local roster spots to announce in the coming weeks."

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/jawai-back-with-the-taipans

Reply #754079 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Is 'Potatoes & Glue*' the best available local? Or young Jurlina worthy of a full roster spot? Maybe both?

* Pozzoglu (truth be told I can never remember how to spell it)

Reply #754080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jurlina deserves a shot, been up there two seasons now and imo already better than some on there roster. Has had another good Qbl season. That roster not looking that flash, need a few good imports. Jawai will be good some some unknowns on Noi, Djeric, Krislovic. Kenny and Deng will need big seasons.

Reply #754083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going with

Machado
Import

Kernich drew
Jurlina
Jois
Aussie Center
DP Mayen

Reply #754085 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I think Jois asks for excessive coin. So could price himself out.

DKD had a bit of an underwhelming year, but he could be worth the shot too.

Reply #754088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could have picked up moneke as an import.

Reply #754089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moneke might make the Nigerian team for WC. He would have been great as a low budget import before getting naturalised status following year.

Reply #754091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado / Kenny
Import / Djeric / Kernich Drew
Noi / Jurlina / Mayen(DP)
Oliver / Deng / Krslovic
Jawai / Local

Guessing but I think it might be this^

Reply #754093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, I hope Moneke doesn't make the Nigerian team. Would be a travesty to lose him!

Reply #754099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said it would be better to play for country of his birth.

Reply #754101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He said given how long the process is taking for his naturalization and how it's cost him playing in the NBL this season that he might as well play for Nigeria.

Maybe he's not a future Boomer but as far as the NBL goes, that's a big loss. He's an exciting, young player with real upside and athleticism, and he had a very productive college career. Also a pity given he's spent the majority of his life in Aus.

Reply #754105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ethan Rusbatch as the back up 3?

Reply #754119 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Jurlina is a guard boys.

Reply #754121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, and a fairly small guard at that. he's great at qbl level but as he doesn't quite have the quickness of someone like Jarrad Weeks and I can't see him being that effective in the Nbl. he's got the same problem Shaun Bruce has, there are only so many spots behind an import PG available for a player like that.

Reply #754124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word is that Nate has lost ~15kg and is looking the best he has in many years.

Reply #754126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's really good to keep seeing that about Jawai being in the best shape every etc. But we see that every.single.year... unfortunately i'm at the stage where I don't believe it until I see it anymore

Reply #754127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's the equivalent of "working out with Olajuwon" that you hear each NBA off-season too.

Reply #754141 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"The word is that Nate has lost ~15kg and is looking the best he has in many years."

He sweated that much off every game he played for the Cats...probably stacked it back on at Outback Jacks down the road from RAC every game. He missed a great marketing opportunity there...

Reply #754146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at the excitement of the OP.

Reply #754148 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nice to see Jawai staying in the NBL, but I still think Cairns are going to struggle.
They need a really good backup centre, and frankly the team is starting to stink like the place nobody wants to play.
Even digging through the Wildcats rubbish bin is nolonger working

Reply #754173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a photo of Nate Jawai on Tyson Demos' IG where you can see how in shape he is.

Kinda hard to tell imo, obviously still a massive bloke, might be a bit more in shape though I would agree.

Reply #754184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754