Blitz1984
Years ago

Cotton Aussie

Cotton has lodged his citizenship application as per the West Australian.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/fatherhood-and-citizenship-beckon-wildcats-star-bryce-cotton-ng-b881283584z

Topic #45651 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know how long these things take to progress, but that's pretty huge. He's still quite young and figures to be in the Boomers picture if he's interested. As much as I hate how strong it makes the Wildcats, it's a good news story as an Aussie.

Reply #754580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

about time

Reply #754586 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

He must really love his life over here.

The NBL used to feature a lot of naturalised players, usually Americans extending their careers by playing as a local. I think we lost that somewhere along the way.

List of best naturalised NBL players:

Cal Bruton
Scott Fisher
And...

Reply #754596 | Report this post

Hairs  
Years ago

And a few of them have kids who turn out to be quite handy.

Reply #754602 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Damn, kudos to Perf.

Reply #754607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is his partner Australian?

Reply #754613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having a kid in Australia helps his cause.

Reply #754616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

List of best naturalised NBL players:

Cal Bruton
Scott Fisher
And...

Derek Alan Rucker (born October 2, 1966) is an American-Australian former professional basketball player who starred in the Australian National Basketball League for 15 seasons.

Reply #754618 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How long do these applications usually take?

Any chance he could suit up in Tokyo?

I bet a few people on these forums would rather have him than Sobey, Goulding or Gliddon!

Reply #754619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Redhage, Lisch...

Reply #754621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess Trevor isn't thag bad after all!

Reply #754622 | Report this post

Hairs  
Years ago

There are many east of Kalgoorlie hoping Redhage will not be allowed to breed.

Reply #754623 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Loggins, D-Mac, Ballinger etc

Reply #754627 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

James Crawford, Tiny Pinder, Leroy Loggins

Reply #754631 | Report this post

Ricky Grace
Mark Davis

Reply #754634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darnell Mee.

Reply #754636 | Report this post

Mr. Big Checks  
Years ago

Aussies need more Sudanese players on the National team no way some of the guys on that roster are more talented than the Sudanese Australians that are playing.

Reply #754638 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

^^ Who? Maker would've been in if available. Adel was close. Don't think there's anyone better than that around...

Reply #754643 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Awesome news.
I don't know but the rumour was that he met his partner in perth.

Obviously having him as an Aussie will be an advantage, but I'm mostly just stoked that it tends to indicate he'll be sticking around.
I think the biggest advantage for the Cats will be making him their Marquee (or does that not apply to naturalised players?)

I don't know about the boomers. He's quite undersized for International competition.

Reply #754647 | Report this post

Mr. Big Checks  
Years ago

Can't Kouat Noi play throw Josh Greene on the roster I know he is not Sudanese but at least adds some diversity. Lat Mayen? Adel should def make it.

Reply #754649 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Big Checks its about winning not diversity

(Perhaps Big Check got asked for id at Crown!)

Reply #754652 | Report this post

Mr. Big Checks  
Years ago

Those guys are better than and more athletic than the whole roster combined

Reply #754654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm never met any from Africa that doesn’t think they should not be in the nba or never seen a bad shot. Each to there own I suppose.

Reply #754657 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Al Green
Bruce Bolden
Maybe Ronnie the Rat Radliff - top 3pt shooter and defender

Reply #754662 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Of course they should all be in the nba its just a matter of opportunity and someone else fault as to why they didn't make it.

I guess they can always end up driving a cab which is a noble profession

Reply #754664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get more enjoyment from seeing guys like Bogut, Mills, Ingles, Delly etc playing great basketball and representing Aus., than guys that are born/raised elsewhere and then chose to pitch their tent in Aus.

Does the influx tend to disrupt the culture of putting your country first?

What percentage of guys playing NBL will be born overseas?

Lots of kids growing up in Melbourne and all round the country playing basketball but so few of them will be playing NBL this coming season.

When you look at AFL, Shield cricket, etc, the percentage progressing to national competition would seem to be far greater than basketball.

Sure, basketball is an international sport and a good number are playing overseas. And there are plenty of good foreign players to recruit.

BUT, with the level of basketball participation, there should be heaps of talented young Aussies beating down the door to the NBL. Shouldn't there?

Reply #754674 | Report this post

Mr. Big Checks  
Years ago

At least Mitch Creek put the good white guys on at least hahahhahaha

Reply #754676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many NBL squads will start with an import as their pg or as a combo?

Where are the young, talented and athletic young Aussie guards, especially pgs?

Norton a good one. Been around for a while now.

Naar and Grida getting their opportunity because of the Hawks financial restraints?

Did a guy like Tom Wilson just see the complete lack of commitment to bringing on young Aussies?

Reply #754680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have mcdowell white and Exum as young pgs.
You also have top prospects Giddey and Wigness coming behind them.

Reply #754681 | Report this post

Hairs  
Years ago

"When you look at AFL, Shield cricket, etc, the percentage progressing to national competition would seem to be far greater than basketball."

75% of the world play basketball, not so many playing AFL or cricket.

If there was an abundance of 6'8" elite athletic African Americans wanting to play AFL the clubs would be full of them.

Reply #754688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To #674:

I don't think the 'influx' disrupts the culture of putting your country first. In many situations, the naturalised players are bashing on the door and making themselves available at every opportunity because it's a chance they never expected to have.

The 'outflux' probably has more to do with culture disruption, with guys like Simmons going through their formative years in the US and soaking up the me-first attitude that American athletes display from a young age.

Wild generalisations, but a rough summary of what I've observed.

Reply #754698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough, everything is good then.

Reply #754699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its awesome that Cotton is looking to stick around for the long term. I dont think it makes the cats that much stronger because there is still a salary cap. Its not as if they could afford three gun imports with cotton in the team. It does give them more flexibility however when recruiting

Reply #754749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

there is still a salary cap.
No there isn't...

Reply #754752 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

True, but I understand what he's saying.
Cotton will still be their highest paid player. Cats may be able to save a bit of cash, if they're allowed to treat him as a marquee??

They still have to have 5 players within the bench-cap.

Good thing is that they could again keep an import slot up their sleeve in case on an LTI.

Great news is that Cotton is sticking around long term.

It makes sense now, considering I had previously heard they wanted to keep an import slot for when Martin and Wagstaff retire.

Reply #755203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are naturalised "Australians" allowed to be marquee players? Hopefully not.

Reply #755207 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Naturalised players aren't treated any differently to locally-born players, and never have been.

Reply #755209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goes against the intent of the rule IMO to buy citizenship for yanks as a tax evasion scheme

Reply #755240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ramone Moore if became an Aussie could play for the Boomers

Reply #755565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In theory yes but in reality I can't see him beating out Cadee for a spot

Reply #755577 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The language in the rules is all about restricted or not. Once naturalised, he will nolonger be restricted.

In regards to the Boomers. I think Cotton might be undersized to play SG internationally, and we have to remember that whilst such a player might be one of the best in the NBL, they are usually up against NBA and Europe players.

There may also be Sudanese-Australian players, who didn't get their citizenship in time, that might count as our naturalised player??

Reply #755644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754