Reply #755048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Expansion team for 2020

Reply #755051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies out of New Zealand league
Management of Tasmania's Southern Huskies basketball team have made the shock announcement they are pulling out of their first season in the New Zealand NBL.

In a statement, the Huskies said their relationship with Basketball Tasmania was "untenable".

The Huskies were the recipients of $200,000 of government money in the lead up to their debut.

Management said an "exit report" would be prepared for the Government.

The Southern Huskies page on the NZNBL website has already been taken down.

Reply #755052 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

Huskies gone, Chargers back and still a million divides in Tasmania. Good luck Larry.

Reply #755053 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The Huskies were over as soon as they started. Larry never had intention of taking them in. He wants to put his own team down there and they know that. So they're putting up the white flag.

Reply #755054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZNBL now down to 7 teams... yikes

Reply #755058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry won't put any team down there unless there are spectators and he gets a good deal. Huskies really had no idea how to run a basketball club, big visions but lack of nouse. Great effort for trying though. Where does this leave Stewie? What’s next? Hopefully the preseason tournament is a great success and a new nbl 1 side comes in as a lead into the real nbl.
All those saying that basketball Tasmania were right to take over after Bartlett walked away where are you now.

Reply #755059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does this open the door for Mt Gambier to go back to NZNBL? Wasn't the reason BA blocked their path because of a rule that only one Australian team could go to the NZNBL?

Reply #755060 | Report this post

Charon72  
Years ago

Huskies withdrew because they are the next NBL expansion team

Reply #755062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ That's what I would expect is happening.

Reply #755066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many of the current huskie players going to play for the huskies next year in the NBL

Reply #755070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller only huskies player on nbl roster.

Reply #755073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They won't be called the huskies unless the current owners agree to nbl1 team use the name, it will be a new group. It won’t be associated with btas you would think.

Reply #755076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At last, BA, BV, PL and LK can rid themselves of those pesky, just won't die, Pioneers.

Reply #755077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most likely NSW team will join, looking like Canberra or North Sydney

Reply #755078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North Sydney- Comets joint team and possibly one from Sydney western suburbs. Hearing that north Sydney council sold the stadium to a developer, disgrace if true, four modern courts with a small stand, a huge club as well.

Reply #755079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any clue on time-frames as they have said the redevelopment of the North Sydney stadium would take 18-24 months, I wonder if they will still jump in there current state and operate out of Alexandria for the time being

Reply #755092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lanecove supposed to be new stadium but I can't see how they are going to fund it. North Sydney is the big club in Sydney so not sure how it’ll all work. Maybe throw grass over the football stadium that just got knocked down and now is short funding to build a new one and use that on new basketball stadium. Sydney got to many football stadiums anyway.

Reply #755093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norths are shit.

But I'm just jealous they didn't try to poach me.

Reply #755115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What Australian team will take the huskies place in the nznbl ?

Reply #755126 | Report this post

Hill Billy Jim  
Years ago

Surely it must be Casey

Reply #755129 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They won't be the next NBL club

Reply #755130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz nbl already have too many teams for size of population.
7 is enough atm but 8 is the right amount.

Reply #755133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man so many idiots here. Ball is now back into the 2000s. Since Bartlett killed the Chargers all his reasons for leaving are still unchanged.

Reply #755134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett must be sitting back laughing, he new what dealing with btas was like. I feel that huskies learned a lot but all to late, should've just stuck with nznbl and left nbl1 alone.

Reply #755135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another idiot. Who was magically going to run the NBL1 team?

Reply #755149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers were there, they just wouldn't be pushed around by btas, Huskies didn’t have to step in.

Reply #755153 | Report this post

hooperau  
Years ago

north sydney is so poorly run they couldn't run a new stadium. need massive overhaul if they want to expand properly

Reply #755154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, that little bubble burst even quicker than I thought.

Tell me again how Hickey has Billions behind him???

Clearly couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

Reply #755161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could Mt Gambier now re-apply to NZNBL? Apparently the main reason they were disallowed by BA is a bylaw that said only one Australian team could join a different countries league at a time?

Reply #755171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett - I wont sleep with the Devil, Oh wait Larry said I have to so now I will. I love you BTAS.

Reply #755172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Chargers were there, they just wouldn't be pushed around by btas"
So what has changed in the last year? Nothing. Barlett has been made to look foolish with both Launceston and Devonport proving that the NBL1 / BTAS idea actually works.

Reply #755198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Launceston and nw Tasmania hardly successful, charges are winners doing it Bartletts way.

Reply #755201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL1 Queensland soon to be announced then Sydney team and Melbourne team entering NZ NBL as Wellington join ASEAN League

Reply #755457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Launceston and nw Tasmania hardly successful" They are still the League was my point. Also don't automatically think the Chargers will be running the Hobart teams again. That is far from being a done deal yet.

Reply #755470 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Huskies where a complete false hope and never gonna be in the NBL.

BTAS have screwed the pooch and the main man in the NBL will own the Tassie team and the real estate that comes with it!

The Huskies guys just did all of the ground work and market research only to be "f'd over" by the big dog in Melbourne who's seen the dollar signs!

as they say never trust a

Reply #755475 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I doubt we see a resurrection of the Hobart Chargers any time soon.

You cannot multiple Australian teams from different states in the NZNBL so Syd and Mel will never happen. 1 team (or more?) from 1 state is allowable and hence the Huskies could play. This relates to a deal/rule involving BA enabling the NBL as the only entity allowed to run a national basketball league in Australia (or similar).

ASEAN League participation is another matter and will be interesting to watch.

Reply #755476 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

BTW - the Pioneers could pursue NZNBL as an option now the Huskies are out of the picture, however they have stated a commitment to getting into NBL1.

Reply #755477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

as quoted from above

"You cannot multiple Australian teams from different states in the NZNBL so Syd and Mel will never happen. 1 team (or more?) from 1 state is allowable and hence the Huskies could play. This relates to a deal/rule involving BA enabling the NBL as the only entity allowed to run a national basketball league in Australia (or similar)."

It could if the parties to the deal/rule permitted it, ie if NBL (Larry) didnt object to it and BA wanted it then BA could give consent to those teams.

Reply #755480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK protecting his patch. Stole the Huskies idea as already mentioned.
Chargers are up against it since Barlett killed them.
Sponsors (Telstra local and Telstra National have left) Hydraplay (sponsor) have left so in excess of $100k not available now. Other sponsors also disillusioned with what had transpired.
Already up against it.
Plus the reasons why the CHargers went into suspension are still there.

Reply #755481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris McCoy screwed over bnsw and now btas, how do they keep getting involved. These organisations are for sport, great for children and adults to keep fit and participate, not money making machines. Basketball always seems the loser, though I'm told it applies in all sports. Let’s hope something comes out the ashes.

Reply #755489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCoy asked the Huskies for accountability and transparency. When this accountability was required they walked.
Hickey has come out in the paper today saying "everyone will be paid". I will beleive that when it happens. They were always late paying the team and some are still owed money.
McCoy did the right thing in this case 100% guaranteed.
When the Huskies started they wanted only one team. Bartlett ensured that his dummy spit put an end to the Chargers. The Huskies tried to do the right thing and keep 3 clubs going whilst running it from Melbourne.
Next? Who knows but I doubt it will be the Chargers old group.

Reply #755515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So every one is in the wrong except for McCoy, amazing how both chargers and now huskies are gone both citing McCoy and btas as the problem. The tooth fairy is at the end of the garden as well.

Reply #755521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe McCoy is simply right?
The Huskies have been dodgy from day 1. Unpaid bills everywhere both in Hobart and Launceston. Neither the DEC, Kingston or the Silverdome have been paid. The team were always paid late and some havn't still been paid. How is that BTas's problem?
When the Huskies were called into account and chasing more money from BTAS they walked. Simply because it was a cash grab and no accountability (again).
The Huskies have taken the $200K and that will be accountable for. They spend about $16K on the Huskies flying to NZ and I beleive about the same for the NBL1 teams, they also paid for the visiting teams coming here. A no brainer they have spent the money.

Adam Smith said in the Mercury the other day "ut an inability — or reluctance — to delegate responsibilities led to a lot of disgruntled groups. The Mercury saw first-hand the lack of organisation for the road trips to New Zealand. Flights were only booked two days beforehand, in some instances the return leg wasn't finalised prior to leaving.
Ground transport had not been sorted, leaving coaching staff to chase up either taxis or hire cars. Sponsors were understood to be frustrated at a lack of engagement and value for money for their support.
But the biggest concern was the increasing debt from outstanding payments.
Players, coaches and game night employees were constantly not paid on time. Outstanding payments stretched to as late as last week, well after all three Huskies teams had finished their seasons."

BTAS knew exactly what was going on and had called them into account long before the recent announcement. How is that not responsible?
Torns and Thunder seem to work in the new NBL1 system, yet Bartlett said it wouldn't work. The suspended Chargers are now 1 year behind in the affiliation program into NBL1. How is that BTAS's problem? They won't be involved I am sure in the future. They have pissed off / lost their loyal sponsors and as I keep saying all the reasons why Barlett killed the Chargers have not changed 1 iota. They spoke about 2 weeks ago and are trying to kiss and make up. I for one wish them both good luck.
The Head Coach Anthony Stewart is so dissilusioned with the state of basketball in Southern Tasmania that he contemplating leaving the state. THanks Bartlett. NO Stewie, no basketball. That isn't Btas's fault. Stweie is working hand in hand with BtAS. If he thought BTAS was screwing bball here, he would say so.
Get a grip on the real issues here and not base anything you don't know and publish it as fact. Peace Out.

Reply #755531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe McCoy has to stop posting defending himself and only giving his side of story. I learnt many years ago not to bother what's written in the papers as it’s full bull shite. As posted by #521 it never seems to be McCoy fault. I wouldn’t use the two other Tasmanian sides as successful, they give to much money to btas to afford decent players to be any good.

Reply #755536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not let the facts get in the way of someone that knows, NOTHING. Believe what you want to believe.
If you don't think the Huskies are to blame for their own demise then you unlike most people around town who do know, you simply no nothing. Outta Here. Oh I have NO connection to McCoy.

Reply #755537 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So how do we fix everything and get a stable team in Hobart in a NBL1 capacity and into the NBL.

I'm just a keen observer from the other side if the country but I don't care about politics, I just want to see young Tasmanians given a chance to play for their team in a national competition

Reply #755573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The old Chargers will be the NBL1 operators. Why? Because Larry has told McCoy and Bartlett that is how it will work.

Stewart not saying anything bad about BTAS - he cant he is employed by them. This is a little ironic because the reason the Chargers started an academy was because Stewart told them to. Why? Because he didn't get the development job with BTAS. When BTAS got shitty about it he jumped in with the Huskies and got them to partner with BTAS to provide him a full time job. Has he mentioned the players or fans this week or is everything still all about him?

Reply #755588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet another ill informed person here. No point discussing the issue here when you don't know th truth. Clearly you are wrong about Stewie and there anything else you say is equally wrong.

Reply #755601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Proud, that's the vital question. Right now I am not sure of that answer. The OLD CHAGERS are already talking about taking it back. The name has been tainted unfortunately.
There are other alternatives I here. Certainly one that I know of. So it's watch this space for now.

Reply #755607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry will sort the nbl side of the business if he gets the deal he wants the fans turn up to the preseason. As far as nbl 1 is concerned I'd say he might try and get it going but if btas got anything to do with it they will be doing it Larry’s way or not at all. As pointed out by various others no one really knows what happened with the chargers or huskies other than those directly involved but btas were involved in both so it doesn’t look that good for them. Bureaucracy sometimes should let the business people get it done.

Reply #755661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"s pointed out by various others no one really knows what happened with the chargers or huskies other than those directly involved.."

Yep. All btas was doing was doing their job. Huskies were called into account and walked. Take that to the bank.

Reply #755688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doing their job trying to get money out parents by sitting on their arse while chargers were running clinics and btas demanding a cut, all that would do is put the costs up for all.

Reply #755697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez the idiots here. BTAS PAID the Chargers to run their clinics. Stop posting utter shit that isn't true. Totally the reverse of what you posted.

Reply #755707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies back in playing out of Auckland.

Auckland huskies.

Reply #805795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754