Clueless Parent
Years ago

Best SE Melb junior representative clubs for girls?

Looking for guidance or insight into VJBL clubs in the South East of Melbourne and which clubs have the best reputation for inclusiveness that doesn't inhibit a child's development. My daughter is looking to join a rep team this summer after 4 seasons of domestic competition. Currently plays as a top age U10 and bottom age U12 domestically. Any advice is welcomed as we've not been involved in a rep team before and looking to avoid politics whilst getting our daughter the best support!

Topic #45667 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

A good guide is the VJBL U12 VC standings...and then also look to see where the club's 2nd and third teams sit as a guide to club strength at your daughter's closest age group.

You should also consider how strong the club is across all age groups to provide a guide as to ongoing coaching and development in future years.

U12 VC Standings: http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=534700&c=1-3911-0-0-0

Plus, with all the travel involved, often a good idea to stay with your local association.

Reply #755145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong, Knox, Nunawading, Hawthorn

Reply #755146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does your daughter play domestic? You probably should try there for a start. You can't totally avoid politics, it’s a part of the sport unfortunately

Reply #755151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We play out in thr Pakenham District so have been looking at Pakenham Warriors and Casey Cavs. I figured you'd get politics everywhere but just keen to avoid clubs with well known issues in their little communities.

Thanks to LC re standings, that's great advice!

Reply #755152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My suggestion would be choose somewhere close. Travel time matters, especially for young kids. At your daughters age Casey and Frankston have the strongest u12 girls within reasonable distance. I don't know much about Casey except they are good at u12 and bottom age u14, Frankston are strong all the way through and have some very good coaches in their girls program. My daughter doesn’t play at either by the way.

Reply #755157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casey easy..l

Reply #755158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try and find a club that has almost as many girls teams as boys teams or one which has more girls teams done boys teams. This will indicate the club that actually cares about girls in sport.

Reply #755166 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Casey are on the rise and have good depth at U12 girls...I'd personally stay there given your circumstances.

Reply #755169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston strong all the way through? Lol.
Casey the best bet.

Reply #755173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston are better in u12, u14 & u16 girls. Casey aren't in VC in u14 or u16! It’s not even close.

Reply #755188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know if you have to play in the domestic Casey league to play for their Rep team? Our current domestic team is in the PDBA.

Reply #755206 | Report this post

SuperDuperCoach  
Years ago

LC, I can't agree with your advice. A club's VC standings provides no guide to the ability to develop players; unfortunately the way it works is that the best players go to the clubs with the currently best VC standings - they have already developed elsewhere. As a consequence those clubs remain high int he VC standings, with little deserved credit for it.

My own experience is extensive. I think clubs like Ringwood, Camberwell and Keysborough are the go; they are inclusive and family oriented and their coaches are as good as anywhere else. And it is important to stick with the local community.

Reply #760564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can people read? The kid is in Pakenham ffs. Camberwell, Ringwood dubious plus tolls. Keysie? Maybe? Surely there has to better altrenatives.

Reply #760567 | Report this post

SuperDuperCoach  
Years ago

Yes people can read. These are ** examples ** of the kind of club to look for. Also remember that there aren't a lot of options if you live in Pakenham (especially if you don't want to go to the Pakenham club - through that decision, you are in for a lot of travel. Whether its 20 minutes or 30 minutes each time really doesn't make that much difference).
My point was that it is a fallacy to gravitate to a club based on its VC representation, for the reasons I outlined. Go to a club where the coaching is good and the culture is also good - of which I gave a few examples I know about. Casey may also be good, I don't know enough about them (though their stadium is pretty swish).
So maybe its Anon #760567 that can't read.

Reply #760967 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Avoid clubs with alot of parent coaches and tight friendships. This has completely stuffed up Bulleen. Also choose a club with a good Director of coaching as they are responsible for selecting coaches.

Reply #769692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#760567.......Why is Ringwood dubious?

Reply #769734 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I never said to rely on VC standings.

Here is my entire post:

A good guide is the VJBL U12 VC standings...and then also look to see where the club's 2nd and third teams sit as a guide to club strength at your daughter's closest age group.

You should also consider how strong the club is across all age groups to provide a guide as to ongoing coaching and development in future years.

U12 VC Standings: http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=LADDER&compID=534700&c=1-3911-0-0-0

Plus, with all the travel involved, often a good idea to stay with your local association.

Reply #769736 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:35 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754