Isaac
Years ago

Cambage: DNP-Mental Health

And sometimes it feels as if we aren't as far along in that conversation as we might think. We’re comfortable with the general idea that mental healthcare is important — and telling people that you’re dealing with mental health issues has become pretty acceptable. But underneath all of that? There’s still a lot of stuff that I think we don’t see, and don’t talk about. And that stuff can be ugly.
Full story

Topic #45685 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

I think it was a good piece. Its good to see more people feeling comfortable talking about these kinds of things. We still have a long way to go.

At the footy yesterday I witnessed some fans who felt the need to mock Jack Steven's recent mental health struggles.

As Liz said in her piece, we're getting there, but we're not there yet.

Reply #755452 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Was talking to a mater over the weekend, he plays in the over 35's superrules comp

He mentioned his team has a message group, and a couple of the players had mentioned some mental health struggles on there and they'd been supporting those guys

That was encouraging to hear. 20 years ago that stuff wouldn't have been mentioned.

Reply #755464 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

mate*

Reply #755465 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I guess people need to find excuses for poor behavior so this is the easy way out!

Many who have real issues and no support are lost every year but hey old "Look at me Lizzie" is a little sad.

Reply #755473 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Thank you, reality, for proving my point of "we still have a long way to go"

Reply #755474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality, you're an absolute fuckhead.

Reply #755478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't have to wait long for some 'common sense'. You are indeed a fuckhead Reality.

Reply #755486 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

What Reality meant to say was, He (and all fans of basketball) wish Liz the best in her recovery.

Reply #755488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope she gets well soon. Kids stay off drugs.

Reply #755491 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I thought she would be psyched being able to pay off her mortgage again.

Reply #755492 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

My two cents is that yes mental illness is a big issue, but as people we need to be resilient enough to get on with doing our jobs and handle responsibility despite it. And the societally accepted message should be as such. 'It's okay, take as much time as you need, you aren't expected to be able to do anything because you have a mental illness', is shortsighted because it is an excuse straight up; an enabler.

Hopefully that's what Reality was trying to say

Reply #755493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just when you thought it couldn't get any stupider in here...

You don't want mental illness used as an excuse, but in the very next sentence you provided an excuse for Realitys shitty behaviour.

Reply #755498 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"My two cents is that yes mental illness is a big issue, but as people we need to be resilient enough to get on with doing our jobs and handle responsibility despite it."

And unfortunately, therein you have just displayed that you don't understand mental illness.

Reply #755499 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

My feelings about Cambage's article, are honestly a little conflicted.
It's a great article, the story needs to be told, and has been.
It's perhaps a little exasperating that it takes somebody like the human headline talking about it, for it to actually get noticed.

Sadly, I can also understand why some might just see this as a continuation of her "Liz the victim" stories, rather than possibly the cause.

But yes, we do have a long way to go.

Reply #755500 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You'd rather we not cultivate resilience in the people, D?

Reply #755501 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

This shouldn't be an either/or discussion.

There's some grey here.

Reply #755502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I often go around to cancer patients on chemo and ask them when they'll be returning to work. Can't have these freeloaders being enabled, hey Manu?

Reply #755505 | Report this post

Unpopular opinion  
Years ago

Too much partying and too many recreational supplies. It all worsens mental health issues (especially in women, who tradtionally suffer from more of it).

Get off the alchol, the party favours and dont party so much. Also STAY ON YOUR MEDICATION if prescribed by a reputable doctor

Reply #755506 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"My two cents is that yes mental illness is a big issue, but as people we need to be resilient enough to get on with doing our jobs and handle responsibility despite it. And the societally accepted message should be as such. 'It's okay, take as much time as you need, you aren't expected to be able to do anything because you have a mental illness', is shortsighted because it is an excuse straight up; an enabler."

If an employee comes down with a physical illness and is unable to do their job for a length of time, is it enabling them to allow them to take time off work?

This is no different.

As a society, we obviously want to put into practice measures to prevent illness (physical or mental) and injury as much as possible, but when it does occur, people need the ability to take the time to get the treatment and rest they need to come back fit again.

Reply #755507 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Too much partying and too many recreational supplies"

You'll find that the substance use is often a symptom of the prior poor mental health. A way of coping - not a good one obviously, but with the stigma attached to mental illness, often more inviting than declaring yourself mentally ill. As can be seen above.

Reply #755508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ironically Liz has been far from a supportive team mate in the past, according to several people who have played with her. So it's quite funny how she talks of bullying and yet it hasn't seemed to humble her or provide her with any more compassion for others.
I find her victim stuff quite tiresome. I also understand why she would have issues, but she has a long way to go.

Reply #755512 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

So only perfect people deserve the right to help? Ok.

Reply #755522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And despite her issues and struggles she is still Australia's best player.
Go Liz!

Reply #755524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe all women!

Reply #755525 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

When you selfish and have a victimhood attitude, it has a bad effect on your mental health,

Reply #755532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Cram it's more that it's harder to feel sorry for people if they repeat the same behaviour they're complaining about and wanting sympathy for. If she chose to be a compassionate person due to her own experiences and while still having issues, it would make her personality far more endearing. As a result, people would be less critical of her too. Just a thought.
Having mental health issues doesn't give you a free pass to be a bad person.

Reply #755562 | Report this post

Unpopular opinion  
Years ago

Cram, she deserves consideration and help just like anyone.

Mental illness affects not only the sufferers but the people around them that have to deal with. If mental illness is to lose the stigma so its treated like any other health condition, then there will always be people who use their illness as excuse for poor behaviour and treating others like shit.

Cambage, comes across as a spoilt brat and victim who only cares about herself. This is just a perception no doubt the people closest to her lover her to death, but she's probably not the best poster child for this (see also Tomic and Kyrgios.

Dare I say, chalk another one up for a child being raised by a single mum. The numbers dont lie. Two parents (straight or gay) at a minimum and ideally a male and female as they provide the appropriate push and pull dynamic needed to raise (on average) well adjusted mature adults.

For those here raised by single mums, I know they tried their best and you turned out fine, but the numbers man...

Reply #755563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Numbers and data are sexist/racist! Just because numbers back up your argument, doesn't mean you should use them!

Reply #755569 | Report this post

Rhea46  
Years ago

Doesn't everyone suffering from anxiety nowadays.

Reply #755585 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Mental health issue can effect anyone, BUT just like those who use the "poor childhood experience" for their criminal behaviour, their are many who will pull the “mental health “ card as an excuse for theirs.

Liz has had bad behaviour issues since hitting the hardwood floor and her height looked upon as the next coming of the messiah , and blamed everything and everyone else for them.

So whilst it's good to get support for true mental health issues, there does come a time when people need to accept they are their own issue and take responsibility for their behaviour.

Reply #755591 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Again, we have a long way to go.

Reply #755593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is this "behaviour" of hers that she supposably needs to take responsibility for? being too unwell to play? why does her being unwell seem to offend so many fragile haters?

Reply #755596 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

chalk another one up for a child being raised by a single mum
If her mother single-handedly raised an Olympian whose major crimes are supposedly being an iffy teammate, taking mental health days and skipping trainings to go to music festivals, shit - give that mother an award.

I can appreciate unrealised potential and abrasive attitudes rub people the wrong way, but 99% of us would be guilty of the first!

Parenting is really hard. Sole-parenting would be brutal. What about instead of highlighting a single mother, the focus of criticism is on an absent father? I don't know her situation - maybe her father died or there were other circumstances. But when you speak of single-parenting as a negative thing, you slam the person who stayed and put in day after day raising their children, which seems harsh to me.

Reply #755622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not haters. You obviously haven't followed her or basketball to hear about it. I'm a basketball player similar age to her and it's common knowledge she's a handful, a poor team mate and plays the victim card whenever something doesn't go her way.
Calling people haters when they call out bad behaviour is a major cop out.

Reply #755653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying she isn't good and no one is saying you can't have mental health problems. But there are plenty of people with mental health problems who are still decent to those around them. I think that's what people are trying to say. You can't just be like oh I have mental health problems therefore everything I do is excused.

Reply #755659 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

What is wrong with you people, honestly the lack of empathy is only surpassed by most people's lack of intellect and understanding.

Sadly, the opinions of the ignorant and misinformed speak volumes for the miserable state our society has fallen to under the pressures of world wide neoliberalism.

Likely the lead cause of many mental health issues I am willing to bet most posting here have never even entertained in their meagre thoughts.

Can one just please pull one's head out of that orifice for just one moment and take a step back to learn something and educate oneself before we spew all the hatred, just asking for a friend??!

Reply #755680 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Well said Isaac.

Reply #755684 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"... but the numbers man.."

Are you sure about that? I can't find the source so take this with a grain of salt, but I recall hearing that the differences in outcomes are not so significant when adjusted for income, which suggests it's an income issue. Although I suppose you can argue that single-parenthood creates more financial pressures, which leads to worse outcomes on average.

Reply #755691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are susceptible to mental health issues, surely the number 1 thing you would do is get off social media.

Reply #755692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what the person who mentioned the single parent thing was trying to say is that sometimes one parent over-compensates for the lack of a second influence and can, at times, contribute to issues of the child. I've definitely witnessed this first-hand from coaching. The singular parent feels guilt or tries to make up for what they feel their child is missing out on by over-coddling. I have no idea if this is Cambage's background at all. I'm just saying I understand where they were coming from. I have no idea about stats or anything like that, this is just purely an observation of some which I've witnessed.
Of course, a single parent doing it all is entirely admirable and no one is trying to suggest otherwise.

Reply #755701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at the person calling numbers and data "racist" and "sexist." I'm a woman and I can't stand it when the sexist card is used unnecessarily as it devalues the legitimacy of the term when it's actually necessary and entices those who love to slam feminism.

Reply #755704 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've been there for sure. Completely life-altering. It torpedoes you. And see, mental illness is inherently self-destructive and perpetuating. My point speaks to actively forcing oneself out of that hole. For example, depression is being stuck in your own head, negative feedback loop, apathy the simplest of things become unbearable. Force yourself out of it. Worked for me. I would have been in the hole for a lot longer if I didn't fight myself to turn up for work on those days. That fight is literally like exorcising your own demon, but it is necessary if you're serious about improving your lot. Because work/responsibility in general help the cause

Reply #755753 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754