Anonymous
Years ago

Mark Davis Article

Anyone see the article in the Sunday Mail sport section about Mark Davis?

Topic #4572 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, what did it say?

Reply #53063 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Basically says that MD was on enforced leave and then was told that his position has been made redundant. He said that he was insulted by the package offered and was seeking legal action.

The article also added that Spear and Ali had resigned from the board and the acting CEO was not expecting them to return.

I heard that they left the board meeting in a pretty firey scene!

Reply #53066 | Report this post

zapruder  
Years ago

Are the two things connected?

Reply #53072 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Why hasn't there been a bit more talk about this? Two people walking off the board has to be fairly news-worthy!

Reply #53074 | Report this post

zapruder  
Years ago

Have to agree with you XY

BASA has recently lost a CEO [all other issues notwithstanding], a marketing person or 2 not yet replaced, now two basketball oriented Board members - is it starting to look like a purge or is it just 'careless'?

Reply #53075 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Ray Wood also left a few months ago.

Reply #53078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to let you know its the 36ers board which Ali and Spear walked out of, and what I heard was the board was unable to make decisions. Basically any decision that was made by the 36ers board was knocked on the head by the BASA - well one person at BASA, but if I mention their position my post will not be allowed :wink:

Reply #53079 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

So who is on the Sixers and BASA boards then? What exactly does he Sixers board do if its decisions can get vetoed by the BASA board? That is about as useful as the Security Council trying to make a resolution about Israel!

Reply #53081 | Report this post

snake  
Years ago

Interesting to note that Mark Davis says "I can't believe they dont think I can market basketball" however I am not sure I can see to much evedence of him doing a good job in his time with the club.

what has been achieved. were they just paying him a wage to keep him involved with the club for his long service as a player?

just some thoughts
He was certainly a great player but marketer? is he qualified in marketing?

Reply #53082 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i thought it was more PR role, like going around to the corporate guys. Either way something has gone down and its sad to see our past stars being treated in a bad way.

Reply #53094 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

One would think Davis would be the best person to 'pitch' the product.

Companies/Corporates love stars and former stars.

Ok I doubt he has the background/credentials but I'm sure he could be teamed up with someone who does?

Reply #53098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pud definitely has the qudos to give great PR on behalf of the 6ers.

Reply #53102 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Many Companies being approached with a view to sponsorship may not be too familiar with Basketball and especially Basketball of yesteryear. Its not as if Basketball is a prominent sport in Australia compared to the Football. Mark Davis, whilst being a legend in the sport, may not actually be well known out in the business world. For this reason, he may not have a big impact on sponsorship. There is no denying his contribution to the sport as a player, but as a marketer, well that's a different story. I don't think the club owes him a living forever. He has had his opportunities, he has contributed in a huge way, he has been rewarded but now his services are complete.

Reply #53103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If MD couldn't attract sponsors to the club, I can't see anyone else being successful at it!

It'll be sad not to see the greatest 6ers legend around the dome. The club may not owe him anything, but think about the 20 odd years of his life he dedicated to the club.

Haven't they appointed Paul Bauer to a marketing type position? What experience would've he had? A bit sus to me.

Reply #53106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ouch: EC comes out fighting!

"his services are complete"

whoa...

Reply #53107 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'm not being mean, business is business and should not get personal. We all complain about ticket prices, lack of decent entertainment, the cost of parking, the cost of food at the Dome etc. etc. Those high costs would have to offset the cost of running the club. If the club could make more money out of sponsorship, then the costs of attending games could become more affordable. If it becomes more affordable, it will attract more spectators. If it attracts more spectators it attracts more sponsors. Its a vicious circle. The club needs to find the right people that will get results.

As for Paul Bauer, he has the people skills to do the job. At the same time he is a very knowledgeable Basketball person. I think he is as good as any for the job.

Reply #53109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why 'get rid of' all these people during the start of a season? It doesn't make sense to me. They have six months of the off-season to sort out this crap.

Thankfully this is not having an impact on the performances on the court.

EC, do you really believe that the food will improve, ticket prices will reduce etc, by ridding the club of staff? It is a general trend around all NBL clubs, not just Adelaide.

Reply #53110 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ticket prices have reduced. The cost cutting involving staff could be compensating this. I don't have the facts but it makes sense to me. I am not actually aware of staff numbers reducing, but replacements being made.

Reply #53112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spear, Ali, Milbank, Davis, S@nders. Who has replaced these people?

Staff cuts/resignations occurred after ticket prices were determined. I don't see any improvements on last season either. I'm not convinced.

It's been said 100+ times on here before, selling 4000 tickets at $25 is not as good as selling 8000 tickets at $12.50 (additional food sales, merchandising, sponsors etc). Why do staff cuts need to occur to reduce ticket prices and increase attendances?

Reply #53113 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ticket prices have NOT reduced slightly because a staff member was cut. All they've done is introduced tiered pricing because the venue wasn't filling up. The club has a loan to pay off and they're losing money each year. They're not going to cut Pudds and then think, well that saved us some money, so instead of paying off our debts (Wayville and the Dome) or trying to actually get back in the black, let's give back to the fans by reducing the cost of parking, I guarantee you.

The Tigers have something like 4 staff, yet I'm pretty sure tickets are still around $25 each in Melbourne.

I'm all for running a lean and efficient office, but I don't think it has a major impact on ticket pricing, entertainment or the cost of parking. The staff you have can be more important than the number of them.

In the past, to be honest, I've wondered if MD held a token job in the organisation, but I've seen sponsors react really positively to him after games, I've heard that he's responsible for a good percentage of the sponsors and is liked by them, and I've seen him put time into things like coaching the Indigenous Academy (or was it New Arrivals?). I also remember him getting into the spirit of things and calling up Talking Hoops I think, and he's posted on Hoops SA before -- that's proactive and supportive. I'll try and reserve my judgement.

Reply #53114 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This whole debate has gone way off track. I take responsibility for it leading to ticket prices and other cost benefits but the whole idea was whether MD should be retained on staff. Does his contribution now to admin justify his salary? I still stick to my original belief that most businesses in Adelaide do not know who Mark Davis is simply because basketball is not that well known or supported. The current sponsors who are now involved and perhaps were basketball minded, like him because they can appreciate what he has done for the sport and the significance of such a person in the sport. I don't think that support spreads far enough. The marketing job now requires someone who is good at marketing rather than an icon in the sport. He/she needs to convince potential sponsors why they should get behind the Sixers and what benefits there are to them. This takes a great marketing person not a great player.

Reply #53124 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

1. What's Paul Bauer's claims to the position? Does he have a degree in marketing etc? Sure, he's doing well but the same arguments will come up about him being a former player etc, "jobs for the boys", yada yada yada (and no I'm not saying that, but perception is everything in the business world).
2. It's sad to see the club's greatest player (apologies to Brett Maher - you will be when you retire) treated in this way, regardless of reason.
3. There's a state government election coming up. C'mon people, start pitching for the loan to be written off. It's a 4000-tonne gorilla around the neck and will strangle the sport soon, if it hasn't already.

Reply #53126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In response to Moses

1. Paul Bauer is communication manager/officer & he is on the games night team, I am not sure that this is marketing in the true sense, it isnt actually his job to get sponsors. They are supposed to be appointing a new marketing person some time in the next 20 years. I hate jobs for the boys and there has been too much of that, but Paul is doing quite a good job according to those he has been in communcations with.

2. Yep true very sad probably not handled the best, but if he is not performing then he has to go. If you are performing at your work, but have worked there for 20 years does that give you a right to not be sacked, wouldnt think so.

3. Whilst I agree in principle with this, what is that going to prove. If nothing is done about the deep rooted problem with basketball in SA it isnt going to solve any problem. I think that perhaps the government should cut its loses but still make BASA pay back the loan, but not the interest and perhaps not tomorrow. And perhaps the government could loosen the strangle hold on BASA and allow them to hold other events at the venue. Why cant there be concerts held at the dome, Thebarton Theatre as the second largest concert venue in the state is a hole. I would love to go to the dome to see my favourite bands playing I think it would be awesome. I am not talking about local acts that play at the live music venues like the gov, but I am talking about larger bands, last year The Living End played at thebarton theatre because they wanted a bigger venue than a pub but they didnt want the huge expense of the Ent Cent, it would have been great to have them at the Dome. Obviously this could causes clashes with NBL games, but every other NBL venue across the country has those problems too and they manage to make it work.

Reply #53145 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Great response, anonymous. As for a separate thread from "In the Know", ummmmm, errrrr, steering well clear of that one. Watch out or Isaac will impose another S@nders ban on the name Mark Davis (and in defense of Pud, without evidence, some of those accusations are grossly unfair).

Reply #53153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one think Mark would be one of the most recognisable faces still around Adelaide. Whether you are a massive basketball fan or not, Mark has been there for years, been there for all three championships, been there when basketball was at it's peak in Australia and people don't forget that.
I agree totally in the fact that if he's not producing then he either needs to lift his game or sent walking. But what Mark does is not all recognised in stats or figures. He is a great ambassador for the Sixers and no one stands for the Sixers more than what Mark Davis does.
If your going to look at token positions being made for ex players surely you need to look at Paul Baeur. Started as manager, now moved onto Game night promotor. Why was he moved to his new position? Hasn't Breheny's son now been given that position? Is that not a token job?
If Paul was doing his job don't you think that after Isaac's in depth explanation about hooking up a live scoreboard to the big screen deserved a better response than.."Isaac's idea sounds good in theory, but I don't have the AV background to know whether it would work, or be feasable." Why not just say "hey I have no idea what your talking about, so i'm not even going to look into it..NEXT!" From what I saw the other night, the game entertainment has gotten better, but you still need to look at doing it better, if possible.
You could probably take a guess and say that Paul Rees will probably move into Mark's old job next season...is that a token position then?

Reply #53155 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

at the end of the day.... and everything like that....

Reply #53159 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Potsie isn't "game night promoter", he's involved in working with existing sponsorship and communication. He did, however, get some people involved in a game night committee as one of the things he is doing.

AV isn't his area and it's not my area, so someone from the committee will no doubt run the idea past Glenn (who does know AV) and see what he thinks. Obviously Potsie will err on the side of "doing it properly" and not over-promising. Getting FOX replays up on the screen tonight will be something of a test too.

Reply #53161 | Report this post

zapruder  
Years ago

I think there are always more to these stories than gets published, and the truth will always be some distance from the media report, but:

1. If Mark Davis is no longer required then so be it. He needs to move on, as do the 36ers. Does he do himself any credit by going to the press?

2. Ali and Spear would seem to be bigger losses given their experience and role within the organisation. However, there appears to be little doubt the Sixers Board has major limitations to its power to effect change. Why is this so?

3. If Paul Bauer is thought to be the right person for the job then let him get on with it. However, if he is only there to run or improve game night entertainment then I hope he has a budget commensurate with that task. Will the current entertainment program add to crowds and offset his salary?

4. All the current staff losses won't change ticket prices much  why should they or how could they? Will the staff losses add revenue? Will any new staff add revenue?

Reply #53167 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

I read the Sunday Mail article and I agree that Mark should move on. BASA stood by him when he disgraced himself over his drink driving performance - perhaps they had reason to move him on then!

Reply #53171 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

As someone with no allegiance to anyone it does sound very much like "jobs for the boys" to me from reading these threads, nepotism rules in SA basketball!!

Reply #53232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not feel too sorry for Davis. He has had a job to do and obviously management felt he was not performing this job as well as they hoped it would. He is one of the best basketballers we have seen, but in this field it simply is not enough.

Knowing a few businesses that have approached the sixers for corporate boxes I know they felt it was a little bit of a joke being approached by an ex player, and not a marketing professional. Once again this is not Mark's fault, but the managements.

Here's too hoping the current appointment will help the organisation moving forward in the future and arresting the slide that has been evident.

As for holding concerts and the like there, surely that is the reason BASA chose not to go in with the Entertainment Centre venture and go it on its own. As such I think BASA shoudl show they can turn around their debt and prove they are headed forward before their debt is written off. Would love to see 3-5 years of profit paying off the debt, and showing organisation is headed in correct direction before it is written off as a "politician's promise".

Once this has been achieved I feel South Australian basketball can move forward confidently.

Reply #53240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754