Topic #45728 | Report this topic

AussiePride  
Years ago

You can watch SBS Viceland on your device at:
https://www.freeview.com.au/watch-tv/channel/31

Reply #756177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Kay looks waaaayyy out of his depth. No length or athleticism for the international game.

Reply #756179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Delly isn't a threat offensively, Sobey may be a better option at times, particularly if Lamanis runs with the best structure over talent. Sobey dropped 27 on Utah, so Canada shouldn’t be a problem.

Reply #756182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Textbook production no scoreboard :/

Reply #756185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is the real deal

Reply #756189 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Canada have hit a bunch of tough shots, especially in the 1st Q, but they look a lot more polished and locked in defensively than us.

Agree re: Kay some far, too. Sobey and Gliddon in the same boat.

Reply #756192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Boomers are having quite a bit of trouble with a very depleted Canada team. I understand this is an exhibition game, but I expected so much more.

Reply #756193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is NBA ready

Reply #756194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Kay should not be on this team ahead of Brock Motum

Reply #756195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek needs to get off the court. Should have taken Adel.

Reply #756200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL players not up to international basketball. I'm shocked!

Reply #756202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got link for live stats

Reply #756203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there is a link in the proper game thread

Reply #756204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay's selection was a huge mistake over Motum. I think Sobey will be fine, and his speed and athleticism are fine, even at the NBA level. He’ll just have to get the nerves out. Gliddon as a spot up guy in random situations could also be ok, but Kay is the stand out issue.

The douche hating on Creek is a clown, as Creek has proven himself at the next level. Now pipe down chump.

Reply #756205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early days but do agree, Kay's lack of athleticism is hurting him, and don’t shoot me but Sobey isn’t a point guard. Get the ball to Goulding and let him have a shot. You now understand the Cook selection, long lean and athletic, fast, the modern basketball player.

Reply #756206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This team misses a shooter like Broekhoff

Reply #756207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which coach should BA go with to replace Lemanis?

Reply #756209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come down to earth aussie boys, this is not lame NBL leaque but international level

Reply #756212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis against Nick Nurse is a laughable mismatch.

Reply #756216 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Loved it when Gaze casually dropped into the half time banter "they've got 5 of the best shooters of all time who'll need to get going"... or something like that

Reply #756219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it, very questionable selections and coach. Can't see us in the medals. Almost as bad watching USA vs select team.

Reply #756220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is really struggling

Reply #756222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey and Kay on together is painful to watch, especially Sobey trying to play the point. I understand the experiment at NBL level and can get away with it a bit, but he is so out of his depth even against Canada. Put him against top European teams and I hope they don't wear the gold shorts because he'll shit himself. Lemanis is a goose for selection, probably one of the lures to bullets was that he'll play point for boomers.
Then again Cadee could be there.

Reply #756224 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah Heal's comment about Delly not having another game like this... I mean, Delly is not a scorer. He had games like this against D-grade Asian squads offensively. He's not on the team to score, but does need to look to shoot when he gets into the paint at the very least.

Reply #756226 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kay must have had one hell of a training camp.

Reply #756228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible thing about this is Cadee plays point better than Sobey. Our defence very average.

Reply #756229 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay must've cut a mean orange. Horrible.

Reply #756230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale is a stud

Reply #756231 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

A repeat of the Kay in Japan debacle.

Reply #756232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada was paying $8 to win

Reply #756235 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Beat me to it - Aus were $1.1x lol.

Reply #756236 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

LOL at the idiotic comments based on one warm up game.

Reply #756238 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So Canada have NBA championship winning coach Nick Nurse at the helm.

We get Lemanis...

Reply #756239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think we may be a chance to finish higher than NZ and make the Olympics but I'm not sure.

Reply #756240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel sorry for the spectators

Reply #756242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too late to sack Lemanis and reselect team? Seriously! Don't care if it's just 1 game, selections were critiqued and proving correct.
Kay, just why?????
And Gus3232, please explain how this team gets a medal?

Reply #756243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously. Massive issues. We are miles off. And I doubt Lemanis has the answers.

Reply #756244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale offence has been great but defensively been a liability, gets beaten off the dribble to easily. Hopefully Creek gets more time next game even at the four. Goulding best nbl player. Deladova will need to improve a heap.

Reply #756245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is NOT a point guard!!!!

Reply #756246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Australian basketball. The Rio olympics finals meltdown, the tanking against Angola, the Phillipines basketbrawl and now the losing of the unlosable.

Reply #756247 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

To be fair to Sobey I thought he did better defensively than our other guards, Delly included.

Reply #756250 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Boomers defense was a major problem all night. I wondered if Lemanis intentionally played an ineffective D, or he really had no idea that Nurse would run an offense similar to Toronto. Meanwhile, had the Boomers shot the 3-ball as well as Canada, the scores would be even.

Reply #756251 | Report this post

Tdub  
Years ago

I understand how the loss might be good for us, but I don't know if I trust Lemanis enough to use the loss for our benifit

Reply #756252 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Also Delly had a shocker. Delly stepped up with his assists in the 2nd half, but still seemed to struggle, especially with his shot.

Reply #756253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it true that people bought tickets to this game thinking Simmons vs Wiggins and got 40 mins of non effort and bricked shots?

Why were Kay and Sobey playing so scared? Most of the players they were playing are ranked lower than them.

Creek at least looked activated.

Reply #756254 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

At least if Lemanis gets finally found out it's at a World Cup rather than an Olympics.

Reply #756255 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gaze is such a natural on screen. Hopefully he and Casey are on Fox's Boomers World Cup coverage.

Reply #756256 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Lemanis will have to think about how to play the on-ball screens. Nurse relies a lot on them. NBA teams prefer to switch a lot, which might require us to think about some other lineups.

This is where I prefer to see players like Gliddon get minutes than Sobey. Baynes over Bogut. Bolden with more minutes.

In this respect losing Cooks might be a significant loss as he seems quite versatile defensively.

Reply #756257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lemanis, overrated coach, always has been

Reply #756258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To be fair to Kay and Goulding in 16 and 17 minutes they were only minus three, the rest were all badly in the minus. Bolden zero in 10 minutes.

Reply #756259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't mind Sobey, but Kay is out of his depth. Our D was woeful, looked like 5 guys were on 5 different pages. Lemanis has to cop the blame for that.

Mills, Bogut, Landale and Ingles all looked good, and Delly can definitely be better than he was. So what I would hope is that once we get into meaningful competition and the rotation tightens, things might improve quite a bit.

Reply #756260 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

well deserved loss to the boomers . Picking crappy players like gliddon, goulding and Kay. serve you right.

Reply #756261 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Get over it. Lemanis is remaining the coach. We aren't going to change that. This team can obviously play a lot better than that. The Boomers struggled before Rio too.

Reply #756262 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Some random thoughts:

1) Kay is not an international quality basketballer and it was a mistake he was selected ahead of Motum.

2) Delly was awful and hopefully this was just a one off (although I'm not so sure).

3) Bogut has the lateral movement of a bus and doesn’t even attempt to guard a pick and roll.

4) Sobey and Goulding at his age look like NBL players, not Boomers.

5) Anyone calling for Lemanis’ head after this game knows nothing about the game.

Reply #756264 | Report this post

BelieveIt  
Years ago

The Boomers looked old and slow out there.

Reply #756266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis's head being called for is mostly because of his selections not tonight's coaching

Reply #756267 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Sorry to ask again - can someone point me towards a livestats link pls?

Reply #756269 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Some random thoughts:

1) Kay is not an international quality basketballer and it was a mistake he was selected ahead of Motum.

2) Delly was awful and hopefully this was just a one off (although I'm not so sure).

3) Bogut has the lateral movement of a bus and doesn't even attempt to guard a pick and roll.

4) Sobey and Goulding at his age look like NBL players, not Boomers.

5) Anyone calling for Lemanis’ head after this game knows nothing about the game."

----

I agree with point 5, but think anyone who makes points 1-4 after one game knows nothing about the game either!

Reply #756270 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I wonder how much Nurse is really holding back. He hasn't had much time with the team. He is relying a lot on on-ball screens, 3-point shooting. A simple NBA style that relies on talent. Have they had the time together to hide that much?

Reply #756271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reminded me of the ancient Etruscan proverb ..'The great painter with bad paint still creates a better picture than the bad painter with great paint '

Reply #756272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone saying that anyone calling for Lemanis' head knows nothing about the game, knows nothing about the game.

Andrej Lemanis is an abject fraud.

Reply #756274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The final score is what I would have expected if Canada had Joseph, Murray, Barrett, and Olynyk. This was a very disappointing performance even for a tune up game. Bogut was frustrating to watch.

Reply #756275 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That was a terrible performance. Yes it's a warm up game but getting blown out at home against that Canadian team is concerning. It didn't look like the Boomers were running much at all tonight and just letting Mills jack it up all night so that's likely one saving grace.

The Kay over Motum selection still looks silly after tonight Kay is a plodder at this level Motum with his range offers a point of difference. Gliddon's got no business being there but we knew that already and Sobey still looks shaky running the point.

Good efforts tonight from Bogut & Landale but we need to get a bit more serious tomorrow night.

Reply #756276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a sackable offence, or at least a final warning. I’d hope he’s in a performance meeting with his boss first thing in the morning, required to submit a performance improvement plan.

Reply #756277 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

crappy players selected, crappy results.

Reply #756278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Lemanis now. Its not too late. No more excuses. So much is wrong in every possible way. No way they medal.

Reply #756279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Lemanis now. Its not too late. No more excuses. So much is wrong in every possible way. No way they medal.

Reply #756280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #756281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

live stats https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1313248/bs.html

Reply #756282 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Even though Lemon-iss isn't much of a coach you can't seriously call for his sacking after one warm up game. No matter how we go during these exhibition games or even at the WC I can't see him being sacked one year out from the Olympics.

Reply #756283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My thoughts:

1. Boomers rotations were extremely slow. In many cases leading to mismatches.

2. Boomers close outs were also very slow. You can't say that Canada were just lucky with their shots. They were getting easy looks off slack defence.

3. Half the boomers were playing reactively to Canada. The other half were playing scared.

4. I missed the Delly to bogut alley oops and pick and roll

5. Boomers were forcing the 3 too much

6. The boomers were not running plays. Concerning that plays were not run following time outs

7. Creek looked confident. Kay and sobey had nerves to shake off. Landale was a natural. Delly had an off game. The rest were meh.

8. Delly was playing more as a scorer than a distributor

It’s only one game. But damn that was an absolute shocker. They can’t afford to have lapses like that in the actual World Cup.

Reply #756284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would be the best replacement for Lemanis?

Reply #756285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need some athleticism, it's our biggest problem, the 4/5 combo should be Bayes, Landale and Bogut, Bolden. Got sharpen the defence urgently.

Reply #756286 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Not sure what you're talking about Paul.

Points 2-4 were just comments on the ONE game tonight which I think were pretty justified.

Point 1 was just an opinion and I agree that Kay ahead of Motum will be answered in time so I apologise for my lack of knowledge on that one.

Reply #756287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was great to see some of these guys in person, but tbh most Wildcats games are more enjoyable and fun to be at. Atmosphere was pretty poor, boomers were sloppy, not many wow moments.

Landale was the only one to impress me, has huge potential.

Reply #756288 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

we have athletic and skillful players but they don't get picked. adel and green should be in the squad

Reply #756289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the team not the squad

Reply #756291 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

The best thing to happen for the boomers would be losing all matches in the world cup so we will have lemanis sacked before the tokyo olympics. i wouldn't be able to stand watching crappy players like gliddon, Kay, founding, cooks in the next olympics. We need to pick an all nba team to have any chance of medalling.

Reply #756292 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

" goulding

Reply #756293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker clearly trolling. Our NBA talent for the most part other than Simmons and Mills are deadset roll players. And ageing role players at that. We will improve but we have batted above yourselves for a long time. They didn't show any cards tonight.

Reply #756294 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Who would be the best replacement for Lemanis?"

Is there any answer forthcoming? The probably answer from the only one calling for Lemanis's sacking after one warm-up game is whichever coach selects Adel in the 12.

Reply #756295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also wtf was up with "top off 5:30" advertised everywhere when it actually started at 5:50. Screwed a lot of people's plans over and made them rush for no reason. Stuffed up my plans a bit, I was there just after 5 and then when I realised the time was a stitch up at 5:28 I went to grab some beers and people are literally running to their seats because they thought the game was about to start.

Reply #756296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time Maker post he's trolling, he’s got a love affair with adel.

Reply #756297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tip off*

Reply #756298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With you Maker. Would need to write a novel to discuss the issues. Any other NBL coach could do better. Its not too late. Find a coach who can look at our best talent and bring a structure that pulls their collective talent together as a team instead of trying to rewrite the book and expect them to change to suit an ineffective structure with zero D ! from most players. ts not rocket science at this level with the talent you have and the experience or should I say potential experience !!!

Reply #756300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting aside the fact that Lemanis is a gronk let's hope we see a 2020 Olympics team like the following:
Simmons Dellavedova
Mills Exum Green
Ingles Broekhoff
Landale Bolden
Bogut Baynes T.Maker

This 2019 team is rubbish.

Reply #756301 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

That was terrible, no atmosphere whatsoever, was just like an overcrowded rec centre game. Terrible D, offense that looked like the team only met tonight. Looked like Gliddon, Goulding, Sobey and Creek were told it to take any shots. Sugar coat it all you want, exhibition game, whatever, it was a terrible performance all-around. Bogut didn't even put his hands up half the time when someone was coming down the land.

Reply #756302 | Report this post

Makur Maker  
Years ago

agree, anon. There is no room for nbl level players in big tournament like WC and olympics. There is a reason why they can't make it to the NBA, the toughest league in the world, they are simply not athletic and skillful enough. Adel and Green could have been picked but lemanis instead chose 4 slow, unathletic nbl guys. Just feel these wrong selections is going to backfire for him

Reply #756303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time I checked Green was not in the NBA

Reply #756304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are also 6 NBL guys in the side

Reply #756305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I raised some concerns about Kay's ability at this level and was shouted down by absolute spastics. Funny, none of them seem to be admitting they were wrong now.

Reply #756306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel is hardly an nba player, he's a fill in that is cheap.

Reply #756307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think you can completely write kay (or any players) off just yet. Yeah a lot of NBL guys looked out of their depth but the whole team looked pretty shit tonight. I'm willing to give them all a few warm up games plus a world cup game or two before making a decision on them.

It did have a real 'exhibition' feel about it and like no one was trying 100% and that things weren't clicking properly.

Reply #756308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to replay anyone?

Reply #756309 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Adel is a nba fill in, which us true. But these 4 nbl guys selected ( except bogut ) are not even good enough to be nba fill ins.

Reply #756310 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Green is definitely an nba level player with his athleticism and skillset.

Reply #756311 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think the two most important takeaways from this game are:

1. It's important not to overreact to a first-up warm-up game against a WC group opponent.
2. Everyone on the team sucks and should be replaced, and the coaching staff should be sacked.

Reply #756312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green is not ready, kidding yourself. Give him at least 2 years in college. Draft boards don't have him out in his freshman year.

Reply #756313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia needs to look outside the box in choosing a coach. Safe bet is getting an NBL guy, that won't work IMO in international hoops. The other world game, soccer or football or whatever you choose to call it bring in international coaches with schemes that locals don't use. Best example was Hiddink who was successful in my limited knowledge of game because he knew how to take on international powerhouses, not Lemanis who has a crush on guys like Cadee. Have watched a bit of international ball lately, enjoyed watching Slovenia with Igor Kokoskov win European title in 17. Didn't have success with Phoenix but only given a year with shit team. Sure they had Dragic and Doncic but just watching offensively it was poetry at times. Need someone like that to come in and give fresh ideas, would rather that than watch the crap Lemanis trots out all the time. Need to take some high risk high rewards than go with Kay and the like. Even Goulding could be unleashed, love him or hate him, when he gets going he can swing a game.
But after we finish out of the medals again I can see someone like Bevo getting the job and we go around in circles again. Canada did play well tonight but we really looked like we hadn't even trained before. Sobey was lucky to get the ball over the half, let alone begin an offence, only bright spark for me was Landale, expect him to be in NBA next year, wouldn't surprise me for raptors to sign him on multi year deal.

Reply #756314 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The A-team haven't played in 3 years. Boomers played just 5 players from Rio tonight. There are 6 players new to the A-team that need to find their roles. This is their first actual game playing together. Canada has played against two World Cup teams already.

As for Kay, he didn't fill up the boxscore and he showed some signs of struggling athletically, but interestingly he was -3 in 17 minutes, the 2nd best on the team in +/- behind Bolden.

Reply #756315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Baynes.
Glidden 1 shot in 10 minutes -- he isnt exactly in the team for rebounding or defense.
Delly stats - woeful.
Kay - 17 mins 2 rebounds
6/34 3 points will lose a lot of games.

Sobey/Goulding/Glidden seems like a lot of smiliar players. Motum in the past has proved to be instant offence, instant energy, instant rebounds.

Went to SBS on Demand to see if I could watch the replay - Instantly have a spoiler there of the result. - Hope they do better with that during NBL season.

Reply #756316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Left field but I think brondello would do a better job than lemanis.

Probably Gleeson next in line although I think we should go for someone who has not been in the program already. Maybe a coach from abroad or give a young coach a go like Seebohm.

Reply #756317 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Appointing Gleeson would be making the same mistake again.

Reply #756318 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Please tell me we were tanking/(experimenting?) ahead of the WC???

Reply #756320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top coaches outside Australia are not available in the qualifying rounds if they are in Europe or US. The two assistant coaches are Americans. One coaching the kings this season. The other Simmons mate so not certain where you get a senior coach from. Bevo would be excellent and I don't think a club coach should do it.
To early to judge yet, Lemanis has not failed yet.

Reply #756321 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I actually can't believe the autistic screeching I am reading here, nor the short memory spans.

Before Rio, the Boomers were almost beaten twice by a travelling college All Star team. Their coach took pity on us and said "they'll struggle at the Olympics".

We then followed it up by being pantsed by every warm up opponent on the way to the Olympics. It was actually farcical. I remember wondering if we'd even win a single game at the cup.

Then game one of the Olympics came, and it was like chalk and cheese. The slow and lumbering looking Boomers suddenly had zest and knew what they were doing. We dominated France in the first game, went on to beat Serbia, and gave USA plenty of food for thought on our way to a bronze medal showdown that we were extremely unlucky to lose.

So why the difference? Well, as a good friend put it, why practice only dribbling with your right hand?

The Boomers are trying out their back up offensive and defensive plans, and they're trying out rotations. The game plan they applied to Canada was not tailored to beating Canada but testing certain things against a living opposition. If testing out defensive structured C or D means that some cannuck is open for more elbow jumpers than he should be... so be it. If testing out offensive structure C or D means there was no screen to open up Goulding for that corner three, then so be it.

When teams play practice matches and say they're "working on themselves" and that the score doesn't really matter, that is precisely the case.

Now, the things you can reasonably gripe about are the shooting and intensity. Shooting was awful and I wouldn't expect that to happen again. Intensity was low, but they just came out of camp. These are professionals who have not played in proper competitive games for a few months.

People having a whinge seem to think that the only difference between a warm up game and the real deal is just timing, it's not. It's a whole different can of fish altogether.

Reply #756322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of people here happy with mediocrity

Reply #756325 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Mediocrity? lol. It's a scrimmage to look at what does and doesn't work. You can't judge it on the merits of a proper basketball game.

Reply #756326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My main concern is how poor Delly looked tonight. If he continues playing at that standard the boomers are not likely to medal. We don't really have too many natural playmakers so he is important. Yes ingles and Bogut are good playmakers but you need guards can soak up possession after possession and create good shots for the team. Canada seemed to have a couple of those guys.

Reply #756327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No wonder Creek was going off at them at camp if they relied on this kind of game plan and effort.
He's played a season in and amongst these players filling many WC teams and knows how fast and athletic it is. If they thought shooting well as Longley has been banging on about was enough thats what their game looked like tonight. And Lemanis needs a pill to lift his emotions. Give them something Andre to inspire them. Geese... your not their math teacher

I don’t think this team has it in them
to be honest to take on the tough teams to come. No mongrel in them. Motum, Anderson and Brandt last campaign brought the muscle inside and there is no evidence of any of that. And the defence that was like watching U10 newbies.

Reply #756328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give Joey the gig !

Reply #756329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek looked good in his limited minutes. Sobey looked nervous.

Reply #756330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no replay stream

Reply #756331 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"No mongrel in them. Motum, Anderson and Brandt"

WTF? How about "dirty" Delly, as some NBAers liked to call him. You surely can't think Bogut has no mongrel in him? Then there is Mills, the Tasmanian devil in San Antonio. Baynes is as hard-nosed as you can get. These are the same guys that Americans reporters have remarked that NBA teams should add due to that exact reason, without the Australian terminology. Creek can offer some mongrel, too, if given some court time. Sobey is a bit of a hot-head, but if directing that in the right direction, combined with some confidence at this level, he could be useful.

I rate Motum, but he hasn't yet filled an important role on the A-team. Andersen is a big loss due to his experience and he can be a microwave off the bench. Perhaps this is where Motum might have been able to step up to take on a similar role. Instead, we have Bolden, coming off a decent rookie season in the NBA after a strong Euro stint. Not sure if Bolden is out of favour, being kept hidden for some reason, or the coaches intend to give extended time to a different 4 each game to see who they mesh well with. The 4-spot is crucial to experiment with because we have an all-new 4-man rotation.

This is a 3 game series where games 1 and 2 don't matter. Lemanis would certainly be hiding things from Nurse. So this Nurse schooling Lemanis talk is far too premature. We won't know who out-coached who until the end of game 3.

Reply #756332 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This 3 game series feels a bit like a single sprint cycling event. A slow start while giving your opponent a head-start can be a worthwhile strategy.

Reply #756333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly is the biggest issue right now. If it's not a talent thing, the team doesn’t look balanced with Delly out there. I feel he should play a Damian Martin style role off the bench. D up some guys and hustle.
Ingles and Mills in the backcourt, Creek or Bolden, Landale and Baynes.
All the people saying they agreed with Creek’s omission, don’t understand his value well. He can put points on the board in a role and is tough as nails. The Canadian defender bounced off him.

Reply #756334 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This 3 game series

It's 2 games not 3.

Reply #756335 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The third game being referred to is the pool game at the World Cup.

Reply #756336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons/Dellavedova/Exum
Mills/Cotton
Ingles/Broekhoff
Landale/Maker/Bolden
Bogut/Baynes

Reserves
Mcdowell-White
Mccarron
Creek
Adel
Cooks
Humphries

Pushing out
Sobey
Goulding
Gliddon
Kay

I think this will be our Tokyo Olympics squad if we make it.

Reply #756337 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Absolutely massive overreaction here. First game together in 3 years and you're all wondering why it wasn't poetry in motion.

Reply #756338 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

If I was in charge I'd be telling the head coach to 1 don't let anybody get hurt. 2 don't show your hand. 3 since it's almost impossible to beat any team three times in a row it's better to win the last one and lose the first two. Anybody that watches sports in America knows preseason doesn't mean s***. You're just trying to find out what works and what doesn't work. And if you think there's a long line for coaches that want to work for free, and fly around the world on commercial planes, with no real upside ... You're crazy.

Reply #756339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yet you're asking fans to shell out hundreds of dollars to watch it. Can’t have it both ways. If it’s just a 'warm-up’ or ‘exhibition’ then don’t sell it as something else. Better still, have a couple of closed sessions if you’re just going to be trying stuff out. These games need to have at least a bit of meaning if you’re expecting fans to pay big dollars.

Reply #756341 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Simmons/Dellavedova/Exum
Mills/Cotton
Ingles/Broekhoff
Landale/Maker/Bolden
Bogut/Baynes

Reserves
Mcdowell-White
Mccarron
Creek
Adel
Cooks
Humphries

Pushing out
Sobey
Goulding
Gliddon
Kay

I think this will be our Tokyo Olympics squad if we make it.

~~~~~~~~

Yes this the squad I would take to Rio

But I am not sure anon. If lemanis still takes charge of the Olympics squad, gliddon, sobey, kay and goulding would still make the squad ahead of some nba players. Lemanis is just insane with his player selections.

Reply #756342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny people saying 'can't call for coaches sacking after 1 game’. I’ve been saying it for 5 years.

This is the guy we’ve entrusted our golden generation to ?

Simple. Spend some money BA, get the best credentialed medal winning coach out there. Someone who’s proved they can do it ! And don’t restrict your search to native English speakers.

Reply #756343 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

can you name one coach that actually wants this gig?

Reply #756344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought: Lemanis bullshit Brisbane bubble has created a rift in the playing group, players have lost respect for the coach choosing his own bullets players over players that deserved those spots.

Reply #756345 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

How bout Longley as Head Coach. Im sure he knows something about winning at the highest level.Maybe even bring in a low post Offense instead of Bogut spending all his time on the 3 point line

Reply #756346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know a lot of you want to bag the NBL guys but seriously, our big names have got to play both ends of the floor. Kay might not have scored but IMO he at least helped to stem the bleeding while he was out there. His +/- was a damn site better than most for the minutes he played and if our superstars had have scored he'd have racked up a few assists as well.
And as for Sobey, Gliddon, Goulding and Creek - we didn’t lose because of them. It wasn’t our night but I for one am really looking forward to round 2.
Hopefully "fans" who are so keen to knock our team will have reason to compliment players.

Reply #756348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Longley
We need a proven international medal winner who's proven he can command and work effectively with NBA level talent
Who's interested ? Well who have we asked with the right offer ?? No-one
I would say coaching the Boomers in Tokyo would be a very enticing prospect for the right coach. Only needs to be a six month appointment
My pick is Djordjevic but you'll never pry him from Serbia
Sergio Hernandez ?
Sergio Scariolo ?
Vincent Collet ?
Carlo Recalcalti (he's getting on though)
Tanjevic (likewise)
Kęstutis Kemzūra & Blatt as a Team ?

BA dont even know who these blokes are i'd say

Reply #756349 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Yes the boomers looked very average but agree with ME comments.

Didnt Lemanis play hard and show all cards against a Euro team who was a group opponent in his first big tournament. We won that warm up game but got pantsed in the tournament as they used the game to work out how to beat us when it counts. I assume he learnt from that.

The main goal here is to win WC games not warm up games, and definitely not show your hand.

Reply #756350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canada showed their hand did they ?

Reply #756351 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

So maybe you could get back to us when one of those guys says "sure, I'll work 6 months for another country for free." You do remember who went undefeated last year for the Asian cup tournament (I think 17 teams) and came within one point of the bronze in Rio. Any other coach in Australian history done either of those two things? This is a shitty job. And people with short memories make it even more shitty. Giving up on a team or a coach after one preseason game makes you a wanker. If you think you can do better, I'm sure they would be glad to have you.

Reply #756353 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Geese!
Didn't see them out there,just a few lame ducks.
And to the +/- groupies you do realise that is a useless stat.
The worst bench player can come on for 2 mins and his teammates shoot three 3’s
and he’s +9 without touching the ball. LOL

Reply #756355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think some people don't actually understand what +/- means

Reply #756356 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Of course Canada didnt show their hand either and I dont expect game 2 to be much different.

I do hope we learnt and show more defensively next game though

Reply #756357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I expect game 2 to be significantly different and it's nothing to do with Canada showing their hand or not. We will soon see.

Reply #756358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If it's just a 'warm-up’ or 'exhibition’ then don’t sell it as something else. "

They didn't. Did your ticket say World Cup group game on it?

Reply #756360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep agree I would dead set be a w*nker if I'd said I expect them to do it for free Joe ? But I didn't, maybe read more better bro. BTW is Lemanis doing it for free is he ? If we are happy with pounding no-one in Asia, non- medal finishes and the tripe we dished up last night (ie more of the same) well AL is our man. And this aint his first rodeo, it'll be his 3rd major tournament (4th if you count your the amazing Asian Champs win), Tokyo his fifth. Had plenty of chances.

Very happy to be proved wrong tonight, next week and in China by the way. Zero evidence to suggest it will though.

Reply #756362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cotton is eligible for 2020 Olympics then FFS get him in at the expense of Goulding.

Once Broekhoff, Exum, Simmons and Maker return hopefully we see no more Sobey, Creek, Gliddon and Kay.

Creek shouldn't be there he is lucky Cooks got injured and Broekhoff was unavailable.

As for the future post Bogut, Baynes, Ingles, Mills and Dellavedova,
We should be looking to Cooks, Humphries, Green and Makur Maker in future games after Tokyo.

Reply #756365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the coaches love the plus, minus stat, if you're plus 9 in two minutes and haven’t touched the ball you have contributed to good team D, it’s not always about the twenty shots you took at 20%.
If I recall last night game Bolden played around ten minutes for zero, Kay who did look shaky approx fifteen but was minus three which shows hustle on defence. Goulding again so underrated on these forums minus three in approx fifteen, played good D and team first.
To early to crucify everyone and to early to pick an Olympic team, a lot can change in twelve months. Not all nba players are stars either, at times right place right time, right agent, and the good old contacts.
Hopefully we come out of a very tough group and make top eight but it ain’t a certainty.

Reply #756366 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

My take on the game was that
- Canada came to play, whereas we seemed tired for much of the game, and played like we'd just met each other
- we were forced to play at a pace slightly faster than we were comfortable with (which is why we missed so many shots, and why the NBL guys struggled)
- we struggled to defend the on-ball screens, being too slow to get to them
- there were too many Canadian shots where we didn’t’t box out properly
- we struggled to defend the quick first step by some of the Canadians
- we always knew Pangos would be dangerous but didn’t seem able or willing to shut him down
- we will get better quickly

As for Motum versus Kay, give Kay another few games to find his feet.
Adel may be more athletic and suit the NBA, but international ball isn’t NBA ball and we need TEAM players rather than iso specialists.
Green may be a player of the future, but give him time to prove himself first. Or are those who want to see him in the Boomers right now looking back at the experiment when we blooded young Gaza, Longley and (Which was successful, as it turned out.)

Reply #756367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think what's happening is there has been a distinct 'promote the NBL' tone to this whole campaign. From the 'Kay is dominating camp' propaganda to the selection of NBL players over NBA and proven international talent, the laughable Homicide interview with Marto last nite 'tell me this is a top 5 league Damo':). Hard to promote the NBL if no NBL players good enough to make the international stage. All seems a bit like a like a promo for the NBL not a campaign for our first international medal.

Reply #756368 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Lol a promo for the NBL? I cant believe the idiocy I am reading here.

They all looked slow and flat footed and unsure of themselves because ...

*drumroll*

IT WAS THEIR FIRST GAME TOGETHER AND SOME OF THEIR FIRST REAL BASKETBALL IN MONTHS!

Reply #756372 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Thanks ME and Joe for bringing some sense to this thread. It is an uphill battle but well done for fighting the fight!

Reply #756378 | Report this post

Forward970  
Years ago

Aussie Pride, Joe and ME, true believers ! And will still be proudly bleating on with excuses when we finish out of medals Tokyo.

Reply #756380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um u do realise its just a practise match no one cares.
No one takes it seriously or shows anything

Reply #756381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering basketball is the second biggest team sport in the world, finishing out of the medals is probably not a surprise. While round ball football is the biggest sport in nearly every country in the world basketball is also highly popular and in the US, Lithuania plus a few other countries is the biggest. If our media would cover world sports instead of sports played by a few countries that we beat up on most would realise how hard WC and Olympics basketball medals are.
Cricket, rugby, league, netball are not world sports.

Reply #756388 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

It would be helpful if you could just name the coaches that said yes I'll do this crappy job for free that takes up a big part of my year. I'll be away from my wife and family. I'll fly all over the country and tiny little planes and stay in s***** hotels for nothing. Pretty sure that all would gladly step down if somebody better wanted to do it. Same goes for the players. They do it because they enjoy each other's company and it's a challenge. And they like representing their country. Explain to me what you do for free that helps the country. The last time I Googled best professional basketball leagues the NBL was 14. Anything better than 14 and they're overachieving.

Reply #756392 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Reply #756393 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

LOL well that was some retarded logic, Jackson. Thank you for that.

Reply #756394 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Nothing like an unexpected loss to bring out the hysterical idiots.

It's especially the NBA-centric fans here who think talent is only defined by NBA experience. It's the same people here who disparage the NBL that then say Australia should medal because, what, we have 5 NBA role players, compared with other teams that have a lot more NBA players. WTF? Let's assume NBL is a relatively low standard league, as they say, then what do they think all the players that play in all those superior leagues are doing? They don't represent national teams?

Canada may be without nearly all their NBA players, but that doesn't mean they are without depth of talent. Look at someone like Pangos. This guy was discounted as a nobody to the NBA-centric lot. Basketball is still a much bigger sport in Canada than Australia, with a 50% larger population and proximity to the US. Canada has struggled to get organised and had difficulties qualifying for some major events because of it.

Reply #756396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of talk about coaching the Boomers for free. Is it a voluntary position ? ?

Reply #756397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boomers were just a bit rusty on D and the 3 . 1st game for a long time for a lot of the players. Bogut, creek, jock looked the most match fit out of all of them and for a good reason. More games the boomers play the better they will get.

Reply #756403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pangos is the starting point guard for Barcelona, no nbl team go near them. To many just believe we should win with out knowing the true facts. That doesn't mean the nbl isn’t in the top tier of leagues in the world it’s just most countries have greater depth due to population and it is a bigger sport in most countries.

Reply #756408 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

More than a bit rusty! We looked AWFUL! Delly, Bogut and Ingles moved like old men and looked really unfit. Aside from Landale, Mills, Creek and Sobey, we looked slow and unathletic next to the Canadians! Couldn't stay in front of their guards, nor could our bigs get out to challenge shooters on the high pick and roll.

Don't know how we're going to have enough fitness in time for the World Champs! Losing Cooks hurts! Should seriously consider getting Adel in there for one of our flotilla of slow, end of bench guys.

Reply #756411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale was poor defensively, got beaten off the dribble continuously and there was much help out there.

Reply #756415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm still on Lithuania to top the group

Reply #756430 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

rjd +1

A group of NBA scrubs does not make a champion team. Only Patty and Joe are regular starters, and that's within specific systems.

Reply #756476 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Andrej Lemanis is an abject fraud.

He will eventually end up working at a high school like his mentor Stacker is who slowly but eventually got found out.

Reply #756490 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754