Anonymous
Years ago

Taipans sign DJ Newbill

Taipans roster is now complete

DJ Newbill, Scott Machado, Cameron Oliver, Nate Jawai, Kouat Noi, Majok Deng, Jarrod Kenny, Mirko Djeric, Fabijan Krslovic, Anthony Fisher, George Blagojevic.

Topic #45729 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I like Newbill, just a solid if mostly unspectacular player. A lot riding on Machado and Oliver (and either Noi/Deng) as far as ceiling goes, but this should be a much better team than last season.

Reply #756364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not convinced this side will beat anyone, the bench is awful, Deng didn’t even play big minutes for Sixers. Hopefully Noi is as good as he says he is or the starters even have holes in the line up.

Reply #756369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible, just a team making up the numbers with no real goal at winning a championship.

Reply #756370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same as every season then

Reply #756371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns should absorb the old Townsville crocs license, split the ownership and become the northern Taipans playing out if both cairns and Townsville.
They might then become competitive.

Reply #756373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that makes about as much sense as a Sydney team combining with a Melbourne team

Reply #756374 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Cairns should absorb the old Townsville crocs license, split the ownership and become the northern Taipans playing out if both cairns and Townsville.
They might then become competitive."

This has often been said but it just wouldn't work. The distance is just too great. It's akin to saying Sydney should merge with Newcastle.

Reply #756375 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

*Illawarra/Newcastle.

Reply #756376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where would the players live? where would they train? they would only ever have one real home city.

Reply #756377 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Terrible or solid for what they can spend? Fuckwits.

Reply #756379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado / Kenny / Fisher
Newbill / Djeric
Noi / Blagojevic
Oliver / Deng / Krslovic
Jawai

They're a Jawai injury / foul trouble away from having to play Oliver big mins at the 5 with little options at backup. They run 8 deep with Fisher, Blagojevic & Krslovic being the emergency guys. I think this squad has more potential than last seasons but could all go very pear shaped quickly. Anything other than last would be a positive for them imo..

Reply #756382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20 pt plus blow out losses every game.

Reply #756383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns / Townsville
Training base in Townsville or cairns doesn't really matter.
half the games being played in 1 town means 15 4 hr journeys by bus or 15 50 minute flights to the other town.
Probably alternate 2 weeks in cairns, 2 games in Townsville, etc etc.
It’s doable and is beneficial for that club. It needs to be more competitive to survive.

Reply #756384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville have already proven that they don't even support their own NBL team so there's no way in hell they are going to support Cairn's team. This idea is ridiculous.

Reply #756385 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's a "nice" idea, but doesn't really work and wouldn't really help.
Firstly, to simply not LOSE money, TSVL crowds need to be as big as Cairns.
Then you have to somehow grow the crowds. Few people are going to be able to travel to games in the other City. You'd get some growth from casual fans, ie those who might only attend half a dozen games anyway, but overall I think the Logistical Nightmare outweighs any benefits.

As for the roster,
Have to wait and see how good these new imports are, but so far not impressed. Had to give Kelly the benefit of the doubt last season, but this time they need to show they can be competitive.

Reply #756386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm slowly coming around to the idea of the north qld taipans. I don’t think they can support two NBL level teams in north qld. I don’t know how the fine details would work but it works in the NRL for the north qld cowboys with a new stadium being built in Townsville. So it is possible for Cairns to host the majority of the home game and Townsville to host the minority of home games.
It’s a lot like Tasmania and the new NBL team, its going to be 1 team for all of Tasmania.

Reply #756400 | Report this post

Havachat  
Years ago

The Taipans are Cairns only national sporting team, and are well supported by the locals. Joining Townsville would weaken the base of Supporters and Sponsors. and would not last a year.
The team is a mix of some experienced players, some talented imports and a few young players that look to have a upside with some game time and good coaching.
Kelly should give them that, and hopefully jell the mix into a competitive team.
I am happy to wait and see, but i expect that they will do ok.

Reply #756401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns has the NRL north qld cowboys.
I'm not saying join Cairns and Townsville, it would have to be north qld taipans and they could play all the the games in Cairns and pre season games in Townsvilles 5000 seat stadium plus a heap of government $$$$. It would be the pinochle of north qld basketball, The fans would go up in numbers not down, Cairns fans + north qld fans = more fans
I’d say if it stays the same up in Cairns they will be gone within 5 years unfortunately.

Reply #756410 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

'heap of government $$$'.

Reply #756417 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I don't understand how Cairns has an NRL team as I thought AFL played more games in a Cairns than the Cowboys do but I'm happy to be corrected on that.

If it became a team that Townsville could call their own too then sponsors would jump on board? That's bullshit, if they thought that basketball was worth advertising their brand through then they would do it and evidently they aren't.

I love the Suns/Crocs but they chose not to support their team, Cairns DO support their team so leave them where they are to keep fighting well above their weight.

I'm not going to say that they will struggle but they need their shot to drop and they need to find a way to get to the foul line a lot this season.

I'm really excited to see Djeric, is he any chance to win Most improved player or does he have to be in the league the season before?

Reply #756419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the stupidest thing about this idea is that you assume Cairns are doing badly financially. they get a solid 4000 people to every home game, are at 80-85% capacity and are in the black year on year. they can stay in touch with the league for the time being, it's only if the crowd numbers dip significantly that they might be in trouble. and if Mike Kelly doesn't perform this year they'll bring someone in next year and figure it out.

Reply #756420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they have so much $$$$ why not get better players?

Reply #756423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the name of the Cairns afl team?
Is Cairns part of north qld?
The north qld cowboys are

Reply #756424 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

NQ Cowboys are a Townsville team, not at all a Cairns team, I lived there a long time and the Cowboys were as foreign as the Storm.

Reply #756426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolute nonsense! Have lived in Cairns and Mackay and both town get behind the Cowboys big time! The Taipans should 100% be the Northern Taipans!!! Sell a game to Townsville, Mackay, Darwin and even P&G councils to get some money in the bank. That lineup would be lucky to if spent 500k. There's 5 guys on minimum on that list!

Townsville basketball are crying out for a NBL team to support! The people saying they wouldn't support it are fools who have no understanding of Townsville Basketball. They hate Cairns! Just like all clubs in Vic hated the Melbourne Tigers! The Bullets are moving away from the mantra that they are a Spartans affiliate cause they train at Carina.

Such small minded people, but most likely Cairns Basketball people trying to protect their little house of tentacles into the Taipans! Gotta think big or you will be gone!

Reply #756432 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

Last season's Cairns roster was the worst in modern NBL history, now this season they get even worse! I feel bad for Kelly.

Reply #756506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lucky taipans do live in Townsville.

Reply #756523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the only time the cowboys come to cairns is when an away team elects to play up here in place of one of their home games, usually the rabbitohs because of the indigenous connection. lots of cowboys supporters up here but most of my mates will go down for 2 or 3 games a season, its just too far for more than that.

it's a stupid idea that goes around before very season, one that is clearly dead on arrival to anyone who has spend any time up here.

example: where the fuck does this team play in Townsville? half the problem was that locals stopped coming to townsville entertainment centre because the empty lot next door got redeveloped meaning no more free parking, and they couldn't make an economic case for the location on the numbers who would come. they then moved out to townsville basketball or the rsl or something similar which was way out on the fringes, meaning even fewer people came. they were getting 800 per game right at the end there. that and the 12% unemployment rate there right now and it doesn't sound like a city that is going to get behind a new nbl team anytime soon.

40%+ of taipans tickets for each game are season ticket holders. you split the team between two cities and you lose most of them, or best case scenario you keep most of them on half the revenue and have to go find the same number of people again I fresh territory.

townsville has a small but loyal basketball community but the majority of the population has moved on. the general mood up here in Cairns amongst the long term season ticket holders I know was that last season sucked, but everyone was also getting a bit tired of fearne ball year in year out. If anything that was more of a put off than one bad season. 2 or 3 like last year and I'll be worried but I'm not sure there's so much to worry about just yet.

Reply #756527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Such small minded people, but most likely Cairns Basketball people trying to protect their little house of tentacles into the Taipans!"

that's one of the stupidest things I've seen on this forum for a long time.

Reply #756529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the NQ cowboys have played in Cairns and if you're friends go to 3 games a year, that’s good support for the NQ cowboys.
And Cairns has QRL feeder teams for the NQ cowboys. Being called the NQ cowboys and not the Townsville cowboys brings the team more government support witch filters down to the feeder teams in the area e.g Cairns and other NQ feeder teams. And it also cements the NQ cowboys as the only NRL team in north qld. And as we speak a shiny new stadium is being built for the NQ cowboys, more government funding. NQ taipans wouldn’t need to play any regular season games in Townsville, pre season , schools ,camps and being the one and only NQ bball team maybe the qld government might pay to get the NBL blitz and share it in between Cairns , Townsville and other NQ towns.
Don’t worry about the car parks let the council worry about the car parks with government funding.
If you can get people from Townsville going to Cairns to see the NQ taipans 3 times a year that = more fans = more $$$$
NBL1 needs to expand and Townsville other NQ teams could compete and be a grate feeder teams for the NQ taipans.

Reply #756547 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Stick to the thread title knuckleheads.

Reply #756558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stick to the thread tittle

Stay in your lane bro we are discussing the taipans . Knucklehead :)

Reply #756560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongest to Weakest?

1. Melbourne
2. Sydney
3. Perth
4. Brisbane
5. Illawarra
6. Sixers
7. Phoenix
8. Breakers
9. Cairns

Reply #756621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thunderjam is just a harmless troll nothing too see here.

Reply #756623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the over/under win total for the Snakes this year? 5?

Reply #756630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth behind Melbourne and Sydney lol.

Reply #756643 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What's the over/under win total for the Snakes this year? 5?

I would snap bet the under so probably 4.

Reply #756646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth haven't bettered their roster in ANYWAY so it makes sense they fall behind Melb and Sydney who have added more talent. Perth have taken a step backward losing Brandt and replacing him with Majok Majok. Perth to scrape in the 4.

Reply #757142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one writes Perth off every season, they'll be fine. Melbourne are injury to Barlow or Goulding away from being back to the field. Sydney are a lot deeper this season but like Melbourne injuries to Bogut or Ware will see them back in the field. Illawarra will be the surprise if they can settle down and play team first, I’d be more confident with Bevo coaching though.

Reply #757146 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Any news on where he's landing for next season?

(I heard a bizarre rumour, which got me wondering where he was ACTUALLY going.)

I suppose its hard for Cairns (and others) with the cut back to 2 imports, but I still think it would be great to see him return to Cairns.

Reply #814316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver out then cairns, but reports say newbill to hawks

Reply #814318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754