Zodiac
Years ago

Game 2 - Boomers vs Canada

After last night's dreadful showing I think the Boomers need to step it up tonight. It looked as if they weren't running much and just letting Patty chuck but by the same token Canada wouldn't have been running much either.

It wouldn't surprise me if we rest Bogut tonight and Baynes comes back in but it would be nice to see a better effort tonight.

Topic #45731 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise you? They have literally announced that that’s what they are doing.

Reply #756387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers by 6 tonight

Reply #756389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like to see Creek get more time to see what he can give, even at the four, Bolden as well. Surely we have to play some defence as well.

Reply #756391 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I dont think there is too much to worry about honestly. Players just working into their roles and a lot of the shots were good shots just missing. Sobey looks very overwhelmed however and I honestly cannot stand Mills shot selection on the national team. Just needs to calm down on a few of those triple attempts. Ball was very stagnant at times with him running point too.

I actually liked goulding in his few minutes. If he can come on for 5-10 and hit 2 or 3 triples then I think he is very worth.

Reply #756395 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise you? They have literally announced that that's what they are doing.

News to me.

Reply #756398 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I actually liked goulding in his few minutes. If he can come on for 5-10 and hit 2 or 3 triples then I think he is very worth.

I thought Goulding looked good too. I've always been an advocate for him being in the Boomers team as he's cold blooded and not afraid to shoot unlike some when they put on the green and gold.

Reply #756399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Vickerman has taught Goulding about defence as well, he'll surprise a lot.

Reply #756407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA 90 defeat Spain 81

Reply #756412 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is it on the telly?

Reply #756421 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

7:30pm EST SBS Viceland HD + SBS on Demand

Reply #756425 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Anyone else concerned about the Boomers having only 4 warm-up games? Half against a team that we are guaranteed to play in the World Cup, which is limiting. I thought I read somewhere that they might play one more game in China before the World Cup, but not sure how seriously they can take that if it's just before their first game.

This is a continuing trend with Basketball Australia, not offering enough opportunities to practice against international opposition. It seems all other nations are having more practice games than us.

Reply #756428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep
I am
Part of our arrogant, disrespectful approach to international opponents
We spend all our time looking only at ourselves and North America. We will most likely need to beat a European opponent to win a medal yet have we bothered to play one since 2016 yet alone in the lead up ?!

Reply #756431 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well said #431.

Reply #756438 | Report this post

Reasonably Smart  
Years ago

Boomers by 10-15, I think we set a tone early on and it carries all the way through

Reply #756443 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

"This is a continuing trend with Basketball Australia, not offering enough opportunities to practice against international opposition."

This is always going to be a problem for us because of our distance from decent competition (ie. Europe). Its why IMHO we struggle early in tournaments, because our players do not get to play together as often against strong competition.

Reply #756447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So pick two teams, the first 12 and a second 12. Get a coach like Bevo to coach the second 12 and keep all separate. I bet the second 12 would be cracking to get at the best. It would be great practice.

Reply #756448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any stream guys?

Reply #756449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/22929475560/live-stream-international-basketball-series-australian-boomers-v-canada-game-2

Reply #756450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/AUSO/1310977/

Reply #756451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any truth to Boomers having a crisis meeting?

Reply #756452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's see if Astrid Ripepi can redeem herself from her atrocious performance last night.

Reply #756453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least she managed to sing in time with the music tonight.

Reply #756454 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

#431 I'd add penny-pinching.

BA letting the Boomers down again.

If we have to spend extra to have a camp and games in Europe then ffs PAY FOR IT so that we can prepare properly! (Or spend mega-bucks to get a decent foreign coach.)

Reply #756455 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Canada employ a NBA head coach. Sure, he lives Toronto.

Why do we do the same?

Reply #756456 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No Bogut or Mills.

Reply #756457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow

Reply #756459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale looking to be in MVP form

Reply #756462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers looking more mobile without bogut

Reply #756463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know in past Socceroos have camps in Europe with players based there a lot which helps. But surely in today's age where most of our best players are used to travel why not have a camp in Europe and have some games there. Wouldn't mind losing to teams away and would think it's a better bonding experience. Instead we play a second rate Canadian team at home and it just shows our weaknesses and dodgy selections.
Only positive I see is that Lemanis gets axed after champs and the young blood coming through get a decent coach instead of Mr Potato head.

Reply #756464 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Bolden again injected as a 5. Even with either Bogut or Baynes resting, he still isn't being given so much court time.

Reply #756465 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Carey carey carey

Reply #756466 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

hey coach, flow isn't a set offense.

Reply #756467 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Is Basketball Australia getting any of the money from the Canada and USA games? Surely that would add a sizable amount to their budget.

Reply #756468 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Sobey at the one, what a joke.

Reply #756469 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Bolden seems a bit uncertain about what to do. And, with all the NBA players in the squad, why aren't we seeing iso plays with movement off the ball to keep the other defenders from collapsing back to help?

Reply #756470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis last game

Reply #756471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pangos out?

Reply #756472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay struggling again big time, missing lay ups and doesn't have length to defend.

Reply #756473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf is Mitch Creek doing??

Reply #756474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale looking for a contract

Reply #756475 | Report this post

Shayno  
Years ago

Think i might go watch the cricket this is terrible atm

Reply #756477 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Canada don't need Pangos in order to win.

Reply #756478 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

No bench players looking good right now.

Reply #756479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously lacking a shot creator.

Reply #756480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

L vs Russia, L vs great Italy team and ony one win(maybe) vs Brasil.This team looks fuking bad

Reply #756481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We don't play Russia, Brazil or Italy

Reply #756482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lithuania, Canada and Senegal.

Reply #756483 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Russia, Brazil and Italy were in the same pot as Australia for the draw because they have similar world rankings.

Australia were drawn into a pool with Canada, Lithuania and Senegal.

Reply #756484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just need to hit some shots.

Our high calibre players are not offering much, Landale still good.

Reply #756485 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Landale needs to be providing something because so far our other 4-men have looked lost/ineffective out there. Our 4-spot looks much weaker than Rio right now, which says something considered neither Baistow nor Motum looked particularly impressive in Rio.

Perhaps we should've played more practice games and gone with a 14-man lineup to start off with.

Reply #756486 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

the nbl guys suck.
lansdale is excellent
bolden should play more minutes

Reply #756488 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

1 assist from the bench in the first half.

Reply #756489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL promotion tour

Reply #756491 | Report this post

OldManHoops  
Years ago

Gliddon, Kay and Sobey playing themselves out of the rotation at the moment.

Reply #756493 | Report this post

OldManHoops  
Years ago

@rjd

No financial windfall for BA from these games.

Reply #756494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We sure delly is a lock to make the team?

Reply #756495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles and Delly have been terrible so far

Reply #756497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of not being burnt on defense

Reply #756498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries better than Kay.

Reply #756499 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Bolden is excellent in this match
it sucks that lemanis gives him litter
court time

Reply #756502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm, what to watch, this crap, Premier league stream that keeps dropping out or the freaking cricket. What's on the ABC?

Reply #756503 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Better hustle now - perhaps the guys have got the message that they'll need to win ugly through hard work when the shots aren’t dropping

Reply #756504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphries is five, Kay a four, plus Humphries is so overrated it's a joke. Creek proving he deserves to be there probably in Kay spot if Cook didn’t get hurt.

Reply #756505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We look better when lemanis actually lets the nbl guys do stuff on the court instead of standing in corners.

Reply #756508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Humphris can play 4 or 5.

Reply #756511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish we could have done this when Pangos was active, but the team is looking a bit better

Reply #756513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Birch reminds me of Tristan Thompson

Reply #756515 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Good to see them playing with more confidence in the 2nd half.

I spoke too soon about Bolden. When given the opportunity, he proved his worth. But you have to wonder how much court time he will get if he is always played as a 5 behind Bogut and Baynes.

Reply #756516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bolden should be given a chance in the four, Kay, Sobey, Glidon to sit on back end bench. Goulding started and was fantastic.

Reply #756517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you knew nothing of the players apart from watching these games, this would be the lineup:

Mills
Goulding
Creek
Landale
Bolden

Reply #756519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great, we beat an average team at home by 8.

Reply #756521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That won't be our lineup
Our rotation at worlds needs to be strictly

Mills
Delly
Ingles
Bogut
Baynes
Landale
Goulding
Bolden

Reply #756522 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

"That won't be our lineup
Our rotation at worlds needs to be strictly

Mills
Delly
Ingles
Bogut
Baynes
Landale
Goulding
Bolden"

Agree, but our coach will play all 12.

1/2 Mills/Delly/Goulding - old Pistons three guard rotation

Ingles 3
Bolden 3/4
Baynes 4/5

Landsdale 5
Bogut 5

Even then I would play Mills, Ingles and Baynes big minutes.

Reply #756524 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Bolden gets less minutes than Kay, what a joke.

Reply #756525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay stood up in last quarter.

Reply #756526 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

How much time has Bolden played at the 4? He seems to be primarily playing at the 5. If that's the case, with either Bogut or Baynes resting, there are not many other reasonable options at the 4 when Landale is resting other than Kay.

Reply #756528 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was better D and more 3's knocked a bit of rust off but still a lot more rust to come off before they get a bit shiny.
Probably give them a 6.5 to 7 out of 10 tonight,
Having some 3 balls drop made a big difference in confidence and the good D from delly, creek and Bowden and the rest helped subdue Canada’s confidence. The USA will be a huge test for the boomers but they could beat the USA if they can get that 3 point rust off.

Reply #756530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay played all right needs a few more games to get confidence. Nice hook shot ala Kareem. And Bolden is class, he and Baynes had great aggressive games

Reply #756531 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Canada ranked 23 in the world.

Sack the coach now.

Selecting Sobey over Adel.

Playing Kay over Bolden.

Reply #756532 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Canada's world ranking is meaningless.

Reply #756533 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Even fringe players can make big differences.
Australia won because of Bolden. Some nuts here who said Bolden and Adel are cheap because they are NBA bench warmers and should not be selected
ahead of the likes of kay, gliddon, goulding, cooks, sobey just dont have any clue. Would any nbl player make an impact like what Bolden did tonight ? I highly doubt it. Without Bolden Australia would have lost.
It is a joke that Bolden got so little court time, another reason why lemanis should be sacked.

Reply #756535 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Even fringe nba players can make big differences. 
Australia won because of Bolden. Some nuts here who said Bolden and Adel are cheap because they are NBA bench warmers and should not be selected
ahead of the likes of kay, gliddon, goulding, cooks, sobey just dont have any clue. Would any nbl player make an impact like what Bolden did tonight ? I highly doubt it. Without Bolden Australia would have lost. 
It is a joke that Bolden got so little court time, another reason why lemanis should be sacked.

Reply #756536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers were -9 with Bolden on the court and +17 with him on the bench.

Reply #756537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, I like Jonah and he has an important role to play, but to say the Boomers won because of him tonight just isn't true. He made a good contribution in one stretch, yes, but overall wasn't a major contributor.

Reply #756538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, Canada's FIBA rank isn’t relevant when judging how good they are. They’ve used dozens of different combinations of mainly non-NBA players playing in different leagues across the world in the majority of FIBA tournaments. Whereas most of our guys see each other in the NBL, so you would expect our chemistry would be better.
If Canada had a main pool of 12-15 guys that they can use in tournaments like we do, they would easily be top 8 in the world in terms of rankings. We don’t have Simmons, Exum, or Maker, but they don’t have Murray, Wiggins, Thompson, Barrett, Olynyk, Lyles etc.

Reply #756542 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Once again, people have very high expectations of a first, or second, game together. If you compare tonight's game from the night before you'd see that the team has improved massively in many key areas in merely a day. People are watching these games and wondering why it doesn't look like Rio. Well it won't... yet. Warm up games tend to be hideous garbage.

Reply #756556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got the feeling Canada left a bit in the tank last night. Game 1 at Worlds, which we have to win, will be damn tough.
I'll be surprised if the refs at Worlds let as much body checking go unwhistled early, both on the ball carrier and in the key.
I worry about our NBL bench once the real stuff starts.

Reply #756557 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

This is an illuminating article about the nature of friendlies and why they should be taken with a grain of salt

http://www.fiba.basketball/news/Don-t-trust-the-friendlies?fb_comment_id=547473928713595_548434468617541

Reply #756574 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The constant calls for Bolden over Kay are a bit surprising. I do agree that Bolden wins over Kay but apparantly Kay was a standout at the camp. If I'm already on Bolden's side, maybe I want Kay to have the opportunity, to prove me wrong.

I am not a Lemanis fan but in his place, on this issue, his problem is that Bolden was in and Kay was there to train against. Kay trains so well that he might just push Bolden out. How do you decide? Play the doubted one (Kay) against opposition, before it's too late.

Isn't that what pre-competiton games are all about, what works and what doesn't?

It seems that most of us have deided that it should be Bolden over Kay. Can we all hope that Lemanis makes the same choice on game-days?

PS. Thought that Goulding filled the exact role he should. I don't think that he will be instruemental overall, but as an impact off the bench for some outlandish 3's or some shut-down on an opponenet, whatever, if it works, good, if not, won't matter cos you can go back to (a solid) plan A. (Not well explained but you can work out what I mean.)

Reply #756577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey appears to be lacking confidence.

Tentative

Reply #756580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay played two minutes more than Bolden and was -3, Bolden was -9, watching both games Kay doesn't seem to be a fit but it’s his hustle on D that most don’t see that makes him valuable.

Reply #756582 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Bolden gets less minutes than Kay, what a joke."

I wonder if the coaches are trying to get Kay and other NBL players to get the feel of playing against elite international teams? It would make sense.

As many posters have pointed out, Kay, Creek, Gliddon etc haven't had much opportunity to play international games outside of pretty meagre teams in the qualifying games. As other posters have said, World Cup standard opponents will provide far tougher opposition. So maybe the coaches are giving some players the change to prepare for the tournament that matters by playing them more in games that don't.

Reply #756588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I hear Kay was a standout at camp one more time I'm gonna lose my s$&t

Reply #756609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay was a standout at camp

Reply #756614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep
Lost my shit
Gotta go clean up

Reply #756617 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754