Anonymous
Years ago

Jock Landale is Australia’s greatest prospect

We all thought it but now we know it. With most of our top players aging and Simmons having a broken jump shot and identifying as American, Landale is looking like the real deal.

What NBA teams could use him the most?

Topic #45734 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Identifying as American... cmon dude.
He Australian and has said that throughout is pro career.

Reply #756575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's a long way to go than a couple practice games against Canada, yes it looks a fantastic future but let’s just settle down a bit and watch it unfold.

Reply #756579 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

So in other words your looking for our next great white hope

Reply #756583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We go 3 deep in every position for those born 95 or younger which is a good sign for Aussie basketballs future.

Reply #756584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ name the players then

Reply #756586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what you're on about Rasheed. You ok there bud?

Reply #756589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd have Green second to Landale as Green isn’t proven yet. Landale could start for most NBA teams

Reply #756590 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Total crap.

Reply #756593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a. Cringe at the Simmons hate

b. Landale is solid and is good enough to get a roster spot on an NBA roster, but he's nearly 24, so he's past 'prospect' status. Doesn't mean he can't improve his game, but it's not like there's a ton of upside there. He is a good scorer with good hands/touch, passable athleticism and an improving spot up 3. Decent rebounder also. But he's an atrocious defender and I would say doesn't have the same passing/decision making as our other top bigs.

Landale is absolutely not an NBA starter, I think he's a fringe rotation guy in the league. Bigs that can't play defense are a liability in the league, and there's a lot of bigs who are even more productive than Landale offensively that are not valuable due to their limitations on the other end of the floor.

Great to have Landale on board, I think he's gone a long way to solidifying a spot on the Olympics team, and he's a great fit in this Boomer's starting lineup. But don't get carried away here.

Reply #756595 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

greater prospect than green and Makur maker who
would both be nba lottery picks ? Bull5hit.

Reply #756597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talking to much sense mate, there is not much that round here. 100% re his D.

Reply #756598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMHO Jock Landale could start in most NBA teams

Reply #756599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm certain punters believe he could start in nba teams, but if that were the case he would be there now. All this talk that he signed before in Lithuania and could not get out of his contract is BS. Nba clubs have money to burn, his buy out figure would be small change to them and his Lithuania club would have loved the money.
So those who believe he’s a starter in the nba, facts say he’s not and not even on a roster yet.

Reply #756607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale looked great v Canada and in comparison to his nbl teammates but some real frailties on D. Probs get eaten alive by big bodies like Valanciunas and Sabonis And the Serbian bigs not that we are likely to get to play them

Reply #756608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magney will be similar to Landale in the next 2 years.

Reply #756611 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

May follow the same path Aron Baynes did, spend a few years in Europe and then jump over the pond.

Reply #756612 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Makur Maker = Todd = Dave

Reply #756615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld = troll= idiot.

Reply #756616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about Mitch Creek?

Reply #756620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is overrated not NBA calibre.

Reply #756622 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

creek is still better than gliddon, kay, goulding,cooks, sobey.

Reply #756626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Creek is probably NBA calibre but in that 350th-500th ranked players in the world, where who is in the NBA is mostly a product of circumstance rather than ability. He's not so good that he must be in the NBA, but he's not worse than say, Bairstow, who just happened to be in the right place at the right time to get a contract.

Landale has looked terrific for the Boomers but he can't guard the way modern bigs are expected to. He can't guard 4s on straight line drives, 5s in the post or the air, and he can't make any useful contribution to guarding a screen. DeMarcus Cousins can't guard screening action, either, but Landale doesn't look like a 20 & 10 guy at the offensive end. The problem is that NBA teams aren't using inferior versions of star bigs as backups, they're going small and playing traditional wings at the 5. So there are fewer opportunities for big men altogether.

Reply #756627 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I like what I've seen from Landale so far but I think he's still got a long way to go, I don't see NBA in his future. He's not great defensively, a bit of a black hole down low and doesn't have a great 3pt shot.

A handy player to have out there in games like these as he's always looking to score but people get a bit carried away in glorified scrimmages like these and summer league.

Reply #756636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jock might find it s but tighter against Sabonis, Gobert, Jokic and co

Reply #756639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* bit tougher

Reply #756640 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think Jock has become our great surprise from these Canada games based purely on posters here not even including him in their World Cup Squad.

I like his aggression on the offensive end when so many others looked nervous or unsure of themselves but we haven't seen Bogut and Baynes play together yet and how much court time Bolden gets too.

What he has done is given us another option if Lemanis thinks we will be too slow by starting Baynes and Bogut.

But of course we could start Bolden instead too.

Thank you Jock, you've impressed me in these warm up matches and given me more confidence in our team moving forward.

Reply #756641 | Report this post

Reasonably Smart  
Years ago

From all reports, he had a contract but because of his Eu commitment, he was not able to get out of it. I take that as meaning his value to a team did not succeed the amount of money a team was willing to spend.

But Josh Green alone is going to be our first elite shooting athletic wing, he was honestly underrated by the US media because he isn't your typical loud top prospect. I don't think we as fans realise that having him on the boomers will be our best strenght. We have always failed to defend the US wing players from knocking down threes at a super high clip. He is the answer, think about this.

Simmons
Mills
Green
Bolden
Landale or Baynes or ingles

We can play small ball with that team and have three shooters!

Reply #756670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shhh don't show Johan Bolden this thread he is already pissed about not starting and leading this team

Reply #756712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like Landales game but the next Australian NBA player will be Xavier Cooks.
Can guard and play 1 - 4, great attitude and a real coaches player. He always makes the right decision on the floor and plays team ball.

Reply #756955 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The highlight of those 2 games v Canada.

Reply #756961 | Report this post

PerthSpaceStation  
Years ago

Have to love it when insecure bogans criticize other Australian's because they don't play to the stereotypes they are comfortable with.

"Identifies as American" get out of here with that pretentious nonsense!

Reply #756968 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754