LC
Years ago

ACCC engaged in ticket refund discussions

It sounds like the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) will be involved in ongoing discussions over ticket refund requests related to the upcoming Boomers vs Team USA games.

ACCC engaged in ticket refund discussions over Boomers USA games

Hmmm...

Topic #45738 | Report this topic

Bullets  
Years ago

I knew this would happen.
I'm thinking the amount of people requesting a refund is about to explode. If it does, this debacle will end up costing LK a pile of cash.
They should have gotten on the front foot weeks back, offered refunds and moved the games to Laver or Melb Arena (whichever available)

Reply #756632 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Why LK? TEG are the promoters engaged by BA.

Reply #756633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We understand that some advertising of the USA Basketball games occurring in Melbourne and Sydney next week included pictures of players who will not be attending those games."

Were noteworthy NBA players being promoted AFTER they withdrew from Team USA? If not, I don't understand how this could be considered "false or misleading representations". It's just unfortunate.

Reply #756634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, I'm sure it's that simple Bullets. What a shame you aren't in charge of TEG's logistics.

Reply #756635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing to see here, accc are toothless tigers, the last election was a continuous lie, that's advertising.

Reply #756644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see them definitely taking a good look at it given all the complaints, but imo theres no real case.

Reply #756645 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Were noteworthy NBA players being promoted AFTER they withdrew from Team USA?
Yes. Paul George was being promoted as recently as a couple of weeks ago despite never even being named to the squad.

Reply #756698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reply #756701 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

This appeared on Facebook on July 24:

Explicitly mentioned are James Harden (withdrew July 20), Damian Lillard (withdrew July 23), CJ McCollum (withdrew July 20), Bradley Beal (withdrew July 22), and Kemba Walker (still in the squad).

Pictured are James Harden (withdrew July 20), Anthony Davis (withdrew July 14), Kevin Durant (never in the squad), Kyle Lowry (in the squad at the time, since withdrawn) and Paul George (never in the squad).

So of the nine players advertised, two were never in the squad to begin with and a further five had withdrawn before the ad was posted. Just two of the nine advertised players were any chance at all of being in the game.

Reply #756703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are still advertising these player on most things in Melb

Reply #756709 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Also, they should look into who they were promoting as coming when they released the tickets and how much they were priced accordingly...

They should take into consideration how realistic it was that the top shelf players they were promoting to drive tickets sales were to actually play, as weren't they promoting like LeBron and Kyrie at the start? When was the last time they played in a WC team? There has to be a realistic expectation of a level of a service if they're going to charge what they're going to charge...

If people had paid for the quality level of the players that were coming, I doubt many would actually be going through this hassle...

Reply #756722 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

It raises key legal arguments so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

If they advertised those players prior to their withdrawal, or knowledge of their withdrawal, they could argue perhaps that (1) those players were displayed as "puffery" (as a defence) or (2) that the reasonable person should not have expected that those players would definitely be playing.

However, there are issues with those defences as: (a) its arguably not puffery because those players appearing, and playing for team USA, is not of such an extent that no reasonable person would expect it (i.e. it was entirely plausible they would attend and play) and (b) there is issues in itself in my view of advertising players who aren't confirmed to appear and play, and the reasonable person would expect that if those players were advertised as appearing because they featured in the marketing and promotion, that they would be playing (perhaps slightly different context, but you wouldn't see UFC advertise a fight between X and Y if they weren't confirmed to fight).

Failing that, there are definitely issues with advertising and promoting the appearance of players where the promoters had knowledge of, or ought to have knowledge that those players on the promotional material were definitely not playing.

Not sure on how it works in Australia, but under NZ law, those advertising in trade have to have "reasonable grounds" for representations made; if theres an equivalent in Australian law, it would be very hard for the promoters to say that they had reasonable grounds to continue to publish those representations where those players had withdrew from the squad prior to those representations.

Reply #756730 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Failing that, there are definitely issues with advertising and promoting the appearance of players where the promoters had knowledge of, or ought to have knowledge that those players on the promotional material were definitely not playing."

I think this is the biggest problem for the promoters. If you continue to advertise a product with certain features and promote those features, after you learn that the manufacturer has deleted those features, you are in strife.

Reply #756732 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Basically, the promoters needed to change their advertising materials once the players started dropping out, but were too lazy or penny-pinching to do so.

That gives them no defence in a court of law or court of public opinion as far as I'm concerned.

Reply #756734 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"weren't they promoting like LeBron and Kyrie at the start? When was the last time they played in a WC team?"

Kyrie played in the last WC.

Reply #756762 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Channel 9 has just stated that refunds are being given for Saturday's game by emailing [email protected]

Reply #757460 | Report this post

Tina Goodwin  
Years ago

We brought tickets for our family of 5. Nearly $1700
we were initially disappointed with the stars that were promised never came.
But more disappointed we could see nothing but heads and not a minute of the game.
The biggest rip off and slap in the face as we sacrificed our families holiday to give our 3 boys a
Lifetime experience.
What a joke, we can't believe we were allowed to pay this kind of money for this.we ended up leaving early as our kids were so upset!!!!!
We knew we could never afford to take our boys to America to see a game, so forked out our hard earned cash which my husband and I worked a whole week for!!!!!!!!

Reply #757778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So of the nine players advertised, two were never in the squad to begin with and a further five had withdrawn before the ad was posted. Just two of the nine advertised players were any chance at all of being in the game.
In their (slight) defence, the lead time on creative would've been mode than a few days. e.g., post was 24th, and some of those confirmations were 20th-23rd. Players were dropping like flies. I don't know who you'd actually be able to promote?

Reply #757781 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Davis dropped out over a month earlier, Durant was injured during the Finals and thus was never a possibility at all, and George was never in the squad.

That would've been a start.

Reply #757790 | Report this post

Dave Stewart  
Years ago

My post put up last night on Oz BB FB page below. Disappointed over the no shows but fully committed from Perth WA to take 1 weeks Annual Leave, flights and hotel ($2.5k) so went anyway.
Don't follow footy so no idea about seats in a paddock till sitting in the back row with no visibility. Had it been booked for the "G" I definitely wouldn’t have come. Even I know that’s a footy oval
So to my Q: What’s the ACCC position on Refunds for those who couldn’t see as well as suffering the No Shows ???
My post from last night:
“Basketball Oz went for money - not the fans.
Record crowd for Oz BB, never to be broken,.....Why you may ask ? Cause it sucked!
Crap seats in a footy paddock; no commentary, crap delayed replays (not the last play, but 40 seconds earlier- not relevant) = Result: surprise, surprise- crap atmosphere, (played against the Boomers) as crowd couldn’t get into it to support the guys, (as they would have expected. Good effort though guys)
Been to funerals with more fun atmosphere.
Flew in from Perth paying top $s to sit in seats in a paddock where we couldn’t see.
Stood up to see and told to sit down by Security (as people behind couldn’t see - WT?? - Catch 22 right there)
I’ve been in BB since 1969, as a player, umpire, JSL coach, club president, local association director and chairman; followed the Wildcats since inception under coach Norm Majors, Gordon Ellis and Jay Bremer (my 1st coach) and never seen such a S.Show from Oz BB.
You guys should apologise unreservedly to Oz Basketballers and fans, but you’re probably too busy counting the $15-25 million acting like the Wolves of Wall St, that it would seem you to be.
Prepare for fans to turn their backs on BB as a result of your greed, cause if you pee on people, somehow surprisingly they don’t like it.
Next time: Play in a BB stadium (like Perth Arena). Where fans can watch and do what they do.
ps: should have stayed in WA to watch Rockingham Women Flames win G2 at home to progress to the SBL GF. Our crowd of 1000 would make more noise than tonight (all due to your inept considerations)”

Reply #757840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus we live in a good time.. Whinge whine then whinge a little more. Post-event refund? Make sure you provide proof of your silver spoon while you're at it.

Reply #757842 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Reply #758379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People who were that concerned about player withdrawls had the opportunity to request a refund a month before the event. There would have been very few tickets purchased between the dates some players withdrew from squad and when the promotional material was changed. Most tickets would have been purchased many months ago. When it was unknown who would be in the final team. People spending lots of money could have gone to china and seen some round games. Likely would have been cheaper. The advertising issue isnt really that relevant. The not being able to see at the event is more the issue.

Reply #758383 | Report this post

Angela S  
Years ago

Has anyone who actually asked for a refund , received their refund yet??

Reply #760614 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754