Anonymous
Years ago

World Cup one year before Olympics a big mistake?

I can't even remember the original reason for this. Was it to enable a more soccer styled qualifying campaign?

And for some reason I remember the one year difference being a one off but that doesn't seem to be the case?

FIBA tried to make decisions to increase the importance/prestige of the world cup but they mightve done the reverse.

Topic #45747 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mistake. Yes.

Reply #756853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An Italian fog is call a Bigamist.

Reply #756854 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

LOL Bigamist. Not heard that one for a long time.

They wanted it away from the FIFA world cup to increase attention. Looks like that has gone well.

Reply #756859 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's probably too early to tell. It's entirely possible we see similar numbers of withdrawals next year as well - maybe the culture is just shifting in that direction.

Even if players do prioritise the Olympics, I'm not sure a two-year gap would change that much to be honest.

Reply #756871 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There seemed to be a domino effect in withdrawals.

FIBA also made Olympic qualification mostly via the World Cup. Instead of making the World Cup more important, it just made the World Cup the definitive secondary international tournament.

Reply #756875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think koberulz may be right and it's a change from the players' side. There is more and more money at stake. Clubs are looking for every advantage they can get. And there's an increasing focus on championships as the defining metric for elite players.

Reply #756877 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

So what's the difference with the FIFA World cup? More history? Or just(significantly) more prize money?

Reply #756896 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

For NBA players, scheduling the WC so close to preseason is a problem.

Reply #756905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Euro sides are starting to get together as well, wrong time year, maybe closer to season finishes.

Reply #756909 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Consider Pro's weren't allowed at the Olympics until that first Dream team year, now the dream team is only attending the Olympics.

FIBA will wait to see what happens with results. The europeans get more teams into the finals and win it, then it stays as it is. If USA and non europeans are the finalists, then expect a change sooner rather than later.

Reply #756911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think about it. If you were a celebrity basketballer and you could choose between competing for gold at an all male, all basketball tournament or do the same at a festival like Olympics and party with athletes from other sports and of the fairer sex (post competition of course!), what would you choose? You get the prestige and the party.

Reply #756957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The year made no difference at all.

Having the tournament in China probably made more difference.

Last tournament was in Spain which was an easier to get to location, there was less travel within Spain required as compared to China (were 3 or 4 venues are involved as compared to 2 for Spain).

If Harden and AD were on the team I bet there would have been less players drop out.

The benefits of China is that it is a massive market and the players who attend and do well will increase their personal brand value.

Reply #756973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There were a huge amount of withdrawals and unavailables for the Spain 2014 tournament, this year is nothing new. Whether the change of year is a success will be measured by the reach of the tournament, so obviously we won't know for another month or so.

Reply #756978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Traditionally, most footballers weren't eligible or weren't released for the Olympics. The major countries rarely picked their best teams so it officially became U23 for men in 1992. National football associations make serious money just for turning up to the World Cup finals. Just qualifying for the World Cup finals is worth US$8m.

Reply #757019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feels like they were more withdrawals this year. In 2014, Harden, Irving and Curry played.

Reply #757025 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

2 mistakes
Yes not giving international players a year off every 2 years.
Too close to preseason.

Reply #757362 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I think it's a combination of both, with this year pretty much destroying any chances of the best of the best ever playing at a World Cup again, scrap it, if you don't have the best it means nothing. I just hope the best of the best continue to go to the Olympics.

Reply #757436 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754