Anonymous
Years ago

First preview of Marvel Stadium

Check out the Australian Boomers Instagram story. Marvel Stadium is looking unreal.

Topic #45760 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think it will be difficult to see the court? What do you think of the plastic chairs?

Reply #757274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$4000 'ultimate front row' garden chair from Bunnings is a bit awkward

Reply #757275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do know that when you go to the footy, you typically sit on a plastic chair, right?

The stadium has some gravitas to it. Bring it on.

Reply #757276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you think it will be difficult to see the court?
Did anyone really expect to be able to see anything?

Reply #757277 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The line of sight will be unreal as well.

What an absolute cash burn for ticket purchasers.

Reply #757285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worth every cent. Dream team in my home town with 55,000 spectators. The atmosphere is going to be electric. We get to see the Boston Celtics plus spider Mitchell play. Going to be awesome.

Reply #757287 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I honestly dont think there is a good seat in the house after row 1. How anyone sees anything from the chairs on the oval is beyond me and then once it starts tiered seating you are too far away.

It does look good though and I am sure the atmosphere will be great too.

Reply #757292 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I honestly dont think there is a good seat in the house after row 1.
Row one is below the level of the court, and therefore won't be able to see much either.

Reply #757294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No different from watching the ruck in footy

Reply #757313 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Here we go again. Jump on hoops to hang shit on people trying do something new to grow/promote the game. Obviously players pulling out has been a major disappointment and worth a whinge but anyone with half a brain would have realised that the view from many areas wasn't going to be fantastic.

How well do you see a football and players on the outer side of the ground when you're sitting up in the stands? This will be no different.

It's the atmosphere and the experience of being at the biggest game of basketball ever seen in this country. 50,000+ people under one roof watching the game that we love. Shouldn't that be enough?

How many people that went to the all star game a few years back in a 100,000 seat NFL stadium cracked the sads cos they wont be able to see properly? How many said stuff this I'm gonna stay home and watch it in my room at my parents house? The atmosphere was sensational, it had never been done before, just like these games. Enjoy the experience. I will.

Reply #757316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many large people will end up on their ass sitting on white plastic chairs ?
And if one goes over will it be like a dominoe affect ?
If your going to the game take some binoculars and if your on ground level under the court, rig up some type of rudimentary periscope unless you like looking at the back of people's heads.
I’m really happy I’m watching this on tv.

Reply #757317 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Haha hanging shit on the chairs. Thought they were gonna role out a few thousand LA-Z-BOYS

Reply #757319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen so many of those thing snap when a large person sits down on them.

Reply #757324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ No, but absolutely zero elevation differential between 30 rows, when you're charging $450 for a ticket, is disappointing. If they wanted high ticket prices, sell fewer of them in a better venue. If they wanted to fill Marvel, the prices could have been significantly lower. You could fly to LA and see the Lakers for the amount of money some people will have spent to attend this.

Reply #757325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are a lot thicker plastic than the chairs you have at home sitting around the bbq.
They are more like the chairs you have in classrooms.

Reply #757326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The court is raised up off the ground. It's cheaper than bringing in elevated seating.

Reply #757328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of the $4000 seating is that you get to take the seat home with you.

Reply #757329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit different watching the footy on a massive ground opposed to a small basketball court.

Reply #757330 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Wowsers, can see most people watching this on the big screen because of restricted view. :O

Reply #757331 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Considering the game is a sell out, why would they charge less for tickets? It's basic economics, the tickets are worth what people are willing to pay for them. I was at a NCAA final 4 a few years ago (2016) and that was played NRG Stadium in Houston, the home of the Houston Texans NFL team. 75,000 people and I was towards the rear for the 2 semi-final games and could see just fine, no different to watching a game of AFL at the 'G.

Reply #757338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The game is NOT a sell out

Reply #757341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

55,000 tickets sold. I'd say thats pretty close to a sell out.

I'm actually pleasantly suprised as to how it looks. I couldn't picture it when it was first announced but this actually looks pretty spectacular. The atmosphere is going to be electric and it will be one of those Australian events you can look back on to say I saw some of the NBA's biggest up and comers play on Australian soil.

Anyone nitpicking about some of the seats need better things to worry about. As the above poster put in- they are not going to put couches in.

Reply #757345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say its an event for true fans of the game. For me i love basketball. I love the boomers and I'm a huge fan of the NBA. For me this event is a no brainer. I'd think of a million worse things to spend my money on. Can't wait.

Casual fans will vent over plastic chairs.

Reply #757346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did this 55,000 figure come from? The stadium capacity is less than that, the promoter has been forced to offer refunds, the seat map on the ticketing website shows an abundance of unsold seats in the upper tiers... There is no way it is sold out.

Coincidentally, 55,000 was the number the promoter said applied for the waitlist when the event was first advertised. Are they using that number to extrapolate actuals sales?

Reply #757350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stadium capacity can be beyond 55,000. Just look at WWE, Concerts and ceremonies. Once the ground is used it goes beyond 55,000. Tickets are listed as 'limited availability' from ticketek currently.

Reply #757358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Adele has the record for attendance at Marvel Stadium with 75,000

Reply #757359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of that says this game is a sell out. Have a closer look at the tickets website.

Reply #757360 | Report this post

Annoz  
Years ago

It could easily fit more that 55,000. That's the AFL numbers. They have 30 odd rows of seating around the court on the playing surface on all 4 sides. Not that had to work out that's more than a footy game. How is this different to watching the footy anyway? The human athletes are the same size and the ball is similar size too!! Not sure how viewing it will be different. Ive been to plenty of AFL games where the play is on the other side of the ground and you cant see properly. The ball will never be that far away from the opposite side of the court, unless Bogey sends one out there off a huge block. Like an earlier poster said, looking at the footage on the Boomers page the set up looks to be really good for a makeshift, drop in court on a footy oval. Like i said earlier, i cant wait.

Reply #757365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I looked at the ticket site and it says limited availability and no longer selling and must buy from box office.

The lower bowl has been brought in closer also. Marvel stadium has capabilities to move the lower bowl into square formation.

Reply #757366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe Adele has the record for attendance at Marvel Stadium with 75,000

What team does he play for?

Reply #757369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like at least 10000 white plastic seats.

By the way the worlds biggest bbq called they want their white plastic seats back.

Reply #757370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ufc whittaker vs adesanya also same setup as this. The ring is 1/4 of the crt.

Reply #757371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the above poster put in- they are not going to put couches in.

Really dam I was hoping for beanbags.

Reply #757372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talking about the set up and dimensions doesn't prove that 50,000 seats were sold. The NBL was promoting 60,000 seats yesterday. Someone is pulling some numbers out of their arse.

Reply #757373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone nitpicking about some of the seats need better things to worry about.

I don't know who is worse the white plastic seat nitpickers or the nitpicking anti nitpickers.

Reply #757374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talking about the set up and dimensions doesn't prove that 50,000 seats were sold. The NBL was promoting 60,000 seats yesterday. Someone is pulling some numbers out of their arse

It's always best to up the numbers with some fancy trickery it happens in most big sporting events in Australia. V8 supercars are one of the best at it.

Reply #757376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are going for the event. If you wanna actually watch the game stay home and watch it on TV

Reply #757383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like going to a major roach concert, you can say you were there and take selfies to prove it, don’t underestimate this US team they win be very good.
Most off the knockers are probably afl stooges, they don’t like competition.

Reply #757387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like going to a major roach concert, ?

What's that?

Reply #757391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It always was going to be a good game and if your thing is to sit in a huge crowd and take selfies that's the best place for it.

I’m happy to watch it at home plus I’m in a different state.

I’m a little worried about the white plastic chairs, For large people someone did comment about them being extra strong with steel legs but look standard on the video, are the plastic white chairs bolted down or can they be moved ? And can you see the game at the back rows of the plastic white chairs or just the back of peoples heads, good spot for selfies not so good if you went to see the game.

Reply #757392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ rock

Reply #757398 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"^ No, but absolutely zero elevation differential between 30 rows, when you're charging $450 for a ticket, is disappointing. If they wanted high ticket prices, sell fewer of them in a better venue. If they wanted to fill Marvel, the prices could have been significantly lower. You could fly to LA and see the Lakers for the amount of money some people will have spent to attend this."

Realistically, how did you expect it to be? The actual stands start at ground level and angle up. If they added elevation to the field seats, the stadium seats would be completely blocked by the support structure.
It's not like they can excavate the oval down 10m, to allow for an adequate viewing angle of the game. It was always going to be like this. I just didn't think they'd just put people on shitty plastic chairs.
Also, RIP to Marvel Stadium, considering AFL Finals start in 2 weeks time. The whole field is going to be completely destroyed.

Reply #757404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The AFL have already announced they will only be playing finals at the MCG in Melbourne this series

Reply #757408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, RIP to Marvel Stadium, considering AFL Finals start in 2 weeks time. The whole field is going to be completely destroyed.

Do they have anything covering the grass under the plastic chairs?

If all the tickets were $450 each x 60000 that would be $27 000 000 who gets this money?

Reply #757409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ rock

Arrrrrrr got it

Reply #757411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Twitter
@NBL
·
2h
There are Throwback Thursdays and then there are THROWBACK THURSDAYS.

Ahead of tonight's
@BasketballAus
&
@usabasketball
blockbuster, we wind it back to 1943 when the
@USArmy
took on the
@AustralianArmy
in what may be the first-ever basketball game captured on film in Australia

Classic

Reply #757412 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

As Richie Benaud would say

MARVELLOUS!!

Reply #757414 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If all the tickets were $450 each x 60000 that would be $27 000 000 who gets this money?
Hopefully the players plus whoever paid stadium rental, all the advertising costs, and whatever it took to get the two teams to play.

Reply #757421 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK organised it.

Reply #757424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully the players plus whoever paid stadium rental, all the advertising costs, and whatever it took to get the two teams to play.

Ok times that by 2 games and that's without the premium ticket price
I’d say there would be a bit of spare change left .

Who gets what’s left LK , bball aus , NBL?

I haven’t seen much advertising on it mostly on NBL , bball aus social media and sbs so not a lot of $$$ spent.

Stadium rental would have a set price and LK might get a discount for two events.

How much do the international players get paid?

Reply #757441 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Looks like very poor views for most spectators.
And can't compare to AFL as the pitch is much larger so better view.
Expensive game to sit and watch on the big screens !

Reply #757444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who knows who gets paid what. They're not going to publicise that. If you think it's a hugely lucrative thing and someone is making out like a bandit unfairly, go and bankroll something similar.

Separatey, Phil Lutton on Twitter:

Very standard set up for stadium boxing. People pay a fortune for the near ringside plastic seats, nobody seems to mind.

Reply #757446 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Thanks Isaac and thanks Phil Lutton. Difference is that the Aus basketball community suffer from massive tall poppy syndrome and like to eat their own hence the boxing community don't mind as they want to experience the spectacle but the basketball community just want to take pot shots.

As for the post about the better view of an AFL game. Yes, you're right, when the ball is on your wing or your end. If not YOU SIT AND WATCH IT ON THE BIG SCREEN. FFS (slaps forehead)

If you have tickets, can we just go and enjoy. If you don't, enjoy it at home on TV. Biggest ever game of basketball in this country. Go Boomers

Reply #757450 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Stadium looks great. Much better than I had expected. Like the old Charlotte Collosium.

Reply #757452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows who gets paid what. They're not going to publicise that. If you think it's a hugely lucrative thing and someone is making out like a bandit unfairly, go and bankroll something similar.

What? That's all fluff mate

Reply #757457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Separatey, Phil Lutton on Twitter:

Very standard set up for stadium boxing. People pay a fortune for the near ringside plastic seats, nobody seems to mind.

Why are you comparing boxing fans to basketball fans boxing fans like to throw white plastic chairs.

I'm more concerned with safety of the chairs what else can they use log stumps?
As long the white plastic chairs are strong and the fans don’t mind looking at the back of people’s heads I’m fine with it.

And who’s phil lutton?

Reply #757462 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Channel 9 has just stated that refunds are being given for Saturday's game by emailing [email protected]

Reply #757463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Annonz
Today

Thanks Isaac and thanks Phil Lutton. Difference is that the Aus basketball community suffer from massive tall poppy syndrome and like to eat their own hence the boxing community don't mind as they want to experience the spectacle but the basketball community just want to take pot shots.

As for the post about the better view of an AFL game. Yes, you're right, when the ball is on your wing or your end. If not YOU SIT AND WATCH IT ON THE BIG SCREEN. FFS (slaps forehead)

If you have tickets, can we just go and enjoy. If you don't, enjoy it at home on TV. Biggest ever game of basketball in this country. Go Boomers

And thank you annons for you opinions
You know we are allowed to discuss this here it is a bball forum not a boxing or AFL forum. Go Boomers

Reply #757465 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I thought LK had bankrolled this and would reap the rewards. However this officially is a USA home game with USAB.com logos on the side of the rings and American advertising e.g. Wynn Las Vegas, Twitch. Was it a joint venture therefore revenue sharing exercise between LK (with the weak BA tagging along with him) and USA Basketball to have the US more of an incentive to come here? Good tactic by LK yet again.

Reply #757508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth

Yep agreed

I just hope bball aus and the NBL get a bit of cash out of this and use it wisely

Reply #757620 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And who's phil lutton?
The person who wrote what I'd quoted.

Reply #757625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The person who wrote what I'd quoted.

That's not enough info who? And team does he play for?

Reply #757644 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He didn't play for either team. He was posting on Twitter.

(Please try at least using quote marks when referencing something you're replying to.)

Reply #757693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't play for either team. He was posting on Twitter.

So who is he then ? ..........I'm waiting

A lot people post on Twitter why do we need to listen to him again?

Reply #757703 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I wanna watch a cock"roach concert” at a footy ground.

Might be difficult to teach the little buggers to play guitar though.

Reply #757716 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is anonymous synonymous with annonz, and all the cousins?

Do they have the same IP?

Reply #757719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If LK is able to make money out of basketball, then it is great news!! We moaned and complained that teams folded when they couldn't make money. We know that he wants the sport to succeed, so most of it probably goes back into the sport in some form. Sustainable product is what we need. The more revenue streams that are available the better.

Reply #757721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is nothing sustainable about ripping people off!

Reply #757726 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Because you apparently can't work this out for yourself:

Someone made a point. I quoted them because it brought an outsider perspective to consider. I used their name because that's what you do when quoting. Ideally that point stands on its own and the author is less relevant. The person could be senior in Basketball Australia or the head of international boxing or a world-expert on stadium seating or Michael Jordan using an alias for all I care - it's beside the point. And yet here you are posting anonymously, expecting your view to count for something, wanting another's view to have some level of credibility before you can read and judge it yourself. Clever stuff.

Reply #757727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The more revenue streams that are available the better

Agreed

There is nothing sustainable about ripping people off!

Agreed

LK ,BA and NBL need to use what's left of that money to make a better future and fix the mistakes of the past. Bball in Australia is still on its way up,the shit stadium thing is just a speed hump ( well more like a big hill ) but fans will get over it. On tv it looked awesome. it’s good that people can make good money for investing in Australian basketball.

Reply #757730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone made a point. I quoted them because it brought an outsider perspective to consider. I used their name because that's what you do when quoting. Ideally that point stands on its own and the author is less relevant. The person could be senior in Basketball Australia or the head of international boxing or a world-expert on stadium seating or Michael Jordan using an alias for all I care - it's beside the point. And yet here you are posting anonymously, expecting your view to count for something, wanting another's view to have some level of credibility before you can read and judge it yourself. Clever stuff

Your still just giving me fluff

If this phil lutton has an expert opinion on the matter surely you can tell me who he is and why should I listen to him when every one who went to the game are saying it was a rip-off

(Because you apparently can't work this out for yourself:)

Why would I want to? it's your argument I’m just for the discussion asking a few questions lol

Reply #757736 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What argument was I making when I embedded a tweet?!

Reply #757786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What argument was I making when I embedded a tweet?!

Something about white plastic chairs

Reply #757793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right

White plastic chairs and how good they are for pig events

Reply #757795 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:29 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754