Anonymous
Years ago

Refunds issued for Boomers debacle

Like was said previously, misleading advertising is against consumer law so people are entitled to refunds, and are getting them.

Topic #45770 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a load of crap, enjoy the game and maybe read the fine print. All advertising is misleading.

Reply #757482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um no it isn't. And please don't mention the election ads because that isn't covered by consumer law

Reply #757486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not sure there'd be much of a case there.
Any time you buy a ticket to a sports event there are fluid factors like selection, availability, sickness/injury, or (in other cases) potential for trades etc. I'd be pretty sure there's fine print in there somewhere - at any sporting event - about no guarantee of seeing any particular individual players. There's also just common sense there.
Where they might be in trouble is the period of time where they continued to use players like KD and Paul George to promote when it was known they were definitely not available. That wouldn't help anyone who bought a ticket a year ago (or whenever they originally went on sale).
Really, it's not some fraud, it's just stupidity. Putting this even on in a football stadium is just end-to-end dumb, especially as the organisers would have known there was a significant risk (almost a guarantee, given World Cup history) of not getting an AAA-Team (from either squad). It was a bad short term money grab, another example of basketball in Australia being terribly managed with zero long term thought.
Far better would have been to play these games in 20k arenas in Melbourne and Sydney, have demand significantly outstrip availability (even if the B-Team US squad had been known from when tickets went on sale, that would have definitely still been the case) and then try and lure the AAA US squad to Australia to do it again before Tokyo - and maybe then have it (one night only) at Marvel or something if you really want.

Reply #757494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fine print doesn't overrule consumer law.

Reply #757498 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

Link?

Reply #757502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did people complaining about advertising buy their tickets before or after the withdrawals though? Most bought tickets like a year ago, all the withdrawals happened over the last couple of months, the advertising a year ago wasnt exactly false advertising.

The only ones who should be able to complain about it imo are the ones who saw an ad 3 weeks ago with AD/Harden/Lillard etc and just bought tickets recently, but i dont think there are many of those people

Reply #757504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The place is packed it's only a few wingers on here that are complaining. Great for Australian basketball.

Reply #757514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeya!

Reply #757518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50,000ish isn't packed. It's called not sold out. Perhaps 30,000 short of sold out in fact.

Reply #757594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The stadium can't hold 80,000. The most it ever got was 75,000 with a full stadium and ground filled with standing room. 51,000 were reported in attendance. That’s pretty close to capacity in its current format. I believe 55,000 was capacity.

Reply #757600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

50,000ish isn't packed. It's called not sold out. Perhaps 30,000 short of sold out in fact.
The Boomers play in front of over 50,000 people and the pedantry is so Australian basketball.

Reply #757604 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thanks for giving us an outlet for it.

Reply #757605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's official - the biggest crowd every to watch a basketball game on Australia shores turned out to Marvel Stadium tonight with 51,218 fans streaming through the turnstiles.

Reply #757606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perhaps... in fact."

Hmmm

Reply #757622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you email promoter on the basis that they advertised players a week after they pulled out you will get a refund. Do it.

I got offered a refund and turned it down. Biggest waste of money ever. Just awful

Reply #757632 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Hroz - article on abc.net.au quoting ACCC saying some refunds have been issued by the promoter.

Reply #757641 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

What did people expect at "marvel" stadium lol
It's designed for footy, it’s like throwing an A4 sheet of paper in the middle of Hisense and telling those in the top seats to read what it has on it

Any floor seating that wasn’t the first row was going to be problematic unless tiered
The owners of Marvel don’t give a crap they just want the money
No good being up in arms of you didn’t factor this in
As for the minister of sport being unhappy, why did they not go and check what they had planned, doesn’t take a genius to know it was going to be a rip off for the vast majority
Now USA basketball have cancelled their press interview afraid of the backlash .... money is hard to earn , people don’t want to be ripped off but they should also use some common sense too

Reply #757645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The owners of Marvel don't give a crap they just want the money
No good being up in arms of you didn’t factor this in"

These two sentences contradict each other.

Reply #757646 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The people who paid $300+ for the seats on the ground and virtually no view of the game deserve refunds without question.

I paid $100 for a level 3 seat and, while it had limitations, I had a good night.

Paying for "premium" seats and not being able to see the game should not be tolerated.

Reply #757650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The people who paid $300+ for the seats on the ground and virtually no view of the game deserve refunds without question."

It would suck spending that for a shit view, but what did people really expect though?

It's one of those things where yeah people would want to see, but did they really expect to see much sitting so far back with no seat elevation?

The layout at the stadium has been known since the game was announced (that the court would be raised and there would be temporary floor seats).

I strongly considered a year ago organising to fly to Melbourne for the weekend and go to both games, but at the end of the day thought it would just be shit viewing and teams would lack some big names and not worth it.

The UFC at Marvel and WWE at the MCG had pretty similar layouts and both looked just as shit for viewing.

Reply #757654 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Had friends there on ground seats and they said they view was actually ok. They said the angle was odd, but you could see the game well. Some people just like a beat up.

Reply #757656 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"It would suck spending that for a shit view, but what did people really expect though?

It's one of those things where yeah people would want to see, but did they really expect to see much sitting so far back with no seat elevation? "

Nah you're right. People spent $1000+ to take their family to sit and watch the big screen.

There's an expectation, when you pay for a ticket - especially one billed as premium, that you will be able to watch the thing you've bought a ticket to. Saying "what did you expect" is not an ok defence.

Reply #757661 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"The people who paid $300+ for the seats on the ground and virtually no view of the game deserve refunds without question."

FWIW, Russell Crowe probably agrees with you, based on his tweet.

Reply #757666 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

So lets all get our money back and leave BA with a refund bill. We all complain BA and the sports commission don't do enough to grow the sport then we have our hands out when they put on the event we all dream of and it's not perfect. I was there last night, couldn't see a thing from my overpriced ground floor seats but I saw the look on the kids faces around me, I saw the kids getting selfies with Dante Exum and Melo Ball. The event was a winner and the memories made last night will last a lifetime.

Big picture people!!

Reply #757672 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Anonymous
A couple of hours ago

"The owners of Marvel don't give a crap they just want the money
No good being up in arms of you didn't factor this in"

These two sentences contradict each other.

the owners dont care if you have bad seating, they charge what they like, any one going should have realised that if your on the floor and the seating isnt raised your going to get your view blocked by some big ass head in front of you......not hard to understand...or is it?

Reply #757674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the owners/promoters don't give a crap and advertise premium seats at a premium price, it's not up to you to factor in if they are or aren't premium. The onus is on them to not be misleading in their advertising.

You're acknowledging they don't give a stuff about the paying customers, then blaming the fans for it. That isn't how this works.

Reply #757676 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Now that Lend Lease has pulled out of construction of the 'new' stadium in Sydney next to the SCG (made for soccer and Rugby League) I think they should consider making it a genuinely good indoor stadium in line with some of the better custom made NFL stadiums in the USA.

A 45K seater custom made indoor stadium is something Australia doesn't have.

At least it will have a point of difference. Sadly I think Marvel was made for AFL first, second and third.

Reply #757679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The biggest NBA stadium is barely over 20k. Why would we need a 45k stadium?

Reply #757682 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Marvel is great for AFL and is good for Soccer when the bring the retractable seats forward.

Unfortunately for events like Basketball/UFC its a terrible stadium unless you are in the first few rows.

The reason these events are held at Marvel rather than Rod Laver is the cost and income requirements of the event to generate turnover.

Current the weaker AUD also has an effect re these costs as often we are deal with US promoters/entities so hence we require more bums on seats.

Reply #757686 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

^Anon, Australia doesn't host regular NBA games. This was a reference to special events and perceived poor seating options.

Reply #757688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck with the concussion

Reply #757691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ground level seats should have been the cheapest (except the first few rows), with the bonus of being close to such a big event but the downside of having a less than ideal view. People who were in the permanent seating seem to be saying their viewing experience was good.

Reply #757694 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I would say Marvel is still not that great, even for Soccer and Rugby. Even with the seats brought in (which doesn't actually happen often). Still too sparse. Footy grounds are just too big.

I'd love a dedicated rectangle soccer/union/league stadium in Melb that held 40k+. If it had a roof it would be perfect for gigs and events like this. Won't happen, but a man can dream

Reply #757700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I saw someone commenting on r/NBA saying they were right behind the USA bench in seats very close to the court, but couldn't see much. The bench would stand up and applaud after highlight plays and block the view more. Shame that this overwhelms the news of getting 50k to basketball. Wonder if they thought that would outweigh the criticism? Or did realise it would be so problematic?

Reply #757713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have played it at AAMI Park

Reply #757714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AAMI park wouldn't have been much better. Marvel is basically a big AAMI Park when the lower bowl is brought in. There still would have been too much ground space and seating.

Reply #757718 | Report this post

OldManHoops  
Years ago

AAMI Park has no roof ... in Melbourne ... in winter. Really?

Reply #757720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you paid for a seat on the oval you got what you paid for. If you can't work out for yourself your view will be limited that’s on you. Sat on the oval for Adele and saw very little. Didn’t whinge as I knew that would be the case but I paid my money to be there. Basketball sooks need to grow up.

Reply #757724 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

^ actually its on the promoter who sold a premium ticket.

Reply #757725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As the NFL says no such thing as bad publicity, nearly 52000 is amazing.

Reply #757728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think people who want to just say "you knew what you were in for" are reveling in the schadenfreude rather than being realistic.

The layout of Marvel was not known or advertised when tickets were first released, and a lot of the 'premium' seats were snapped up at that point.

It's also not impossible to come up with a seating configuration that would have sacrificed numbers in order to provide a better view for those on the ground. Even a slight incline would have helped enormously, and the ground could have been tiered to create that. That would have sacrificed some of the fixed seating, but it would have made the 'premium' seats a lot more premium.

My objection is that if you go to the theatre, a concert, and even some major sporting events, you can buy obstructed view tickets. Often those aren't released until everything else is sold, but they're designated as obstructed view and you know what you're getting. Selling premium seats in the full knowledge that you won't be providing a view of the game is poor form.

IMO, I don't care about a refund. If I couldn't afford the money I wouldn't have spent it, and it was a worthwhile experience, even if the overall execution was underwhelming. My concern is that I wouldn't bother doing it again, regardless of who was playing. If I feel that way, and a lot of others feel that way, and the media coverage has been overwhelmingly negative despite what should have been a good outcome, what happens when BA attempts to do this again in the future? How many of the 50,000 attendees will be back? Is attendance next time going to be 30,000? 20,000? It should have been a showcase and celebration of Australian basketball for fans and media, even if that meant fewer $$ earned. Take a long-term view and grow the game instead of just scrambling for every cent you can get right now.

Reply #757731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did the website state that the court would be raised a metre above the oval seating? If not then no, nobody knew what they were getting into.

I think people just want basketball to succeed no matter what, so they immediately reject any criticism.

Reply #757734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The layout of Marvel was not known or advertised when tickets were first released, and a lot of the 'premium' seats were snapped up at that point."

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2018/08/usa-aust-exh-tickets.aspx

There's an arists impression provided by BA here of what the stadium would look like. Pretty much looks like you'd expect really

Reply #757738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did the website state that the court would be raised a metre above the oval seating? If not then no, nobody knew what they were getting into."

It had been mentioned the court would be raised. The whole raised court isn't the issue anyway, i dont know why people are complaining about it, it would have been a worse view if it wasn't raised. The venue as a whole just isn't suited to basketball.

Reply #757741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The court being raised increased the viewing ability for those on the oval.

That's why they did it!

Reply #757742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha you used a rendering of the seating layout as a way of proving that the promoters gave enough information regarding the shitty view? Ok then...

Reply #757748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hahaha you used a rendering of the seating layout as a way of proving that the promoters gave enough information regarding the shitty view? Ok then..."

I looked at buying tickets but didn't because looking into it for 5min you could see and read how bad it would be. You don't need to be a genius to realise the viewing would be shit.

In all seriousness, what did people expect? A lot of people have asked this question but no one has answered it. I'd be interested to see what someone who is really upset by the view they had expected.

Reply #757751 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"what did people expect?"

To be able to see the game. Simple.

Reply #757753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you paid over $400 for a ticket, you'd reasonably expect to be able to see the game comfortably from your seat. I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand. The onus is on the promoter to deliver what was advertised, not leave it up to the buyer to make their own assumptions.

Reply #757754 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Getting 50k to a BBall game IS fantastic, but I said from the outset that Docklands isn't suited.

If you can't figure out that sitting on a flat surface will give you a limited view, the further back you are, then there is simply no help for you. What exactly do you expect the ticket seller to do? Say "please don't don't buy these tickets"?

Similarly, yes, whilst the fixed seating will give you a clear view, you are a long way back so its not the same view you normally get at a BBball game.
It's the same reason I don't go to big name concerts at Optus, where sitting in the upper tier watching the big screen, I might as well be at home watching on my computer.

Reply #757758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, you can't even work out how to attend a home open without someone telling the time for you so maybe don't lecture others for needing help.

Reply #757760 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"What exactly do you expect the ticket seller to do? Say "please don't don't buy these tickets"?"

Price them accordingly. Mark them as obstructed view. Don't sell tickets that have no view of the game. Ensure all tickets have a view of the game.

There's a few ways they should have gone. Simply saying "well, you should have known better" while charging a premium price doesn't pass the test as being reasonable.

Reply #757762 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

People who paid $300 for a seat on the ground level were throwing their money away. The view was bound to be mediocre at best, completely obstructed at worst. Many of us made that comment 12 months ago.

Unfortunately, it looks like for many, it's ended up the "worst"- completely obstructed.

On the other hand, the promoter has done the wrong thing and done basketball a disservice.

What could have been done differently?

My suggestion is:

- Raise the court even higher

- Push the front row seats back by 10m so they could see to the other side of the court.

I have no idea if that would've worked though.

Perhaps it was just a bad idea all round, and they should've had 2 games at RLA- less people attend, but the overall impact on basketball is better. The people who attend are actually happy and create a buzz, instead of getting angry on twitter and creating a media storm of negativity.

Reply #757766 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Marvel isn't a world class indoor stadium, check out some with bigger capacities that the NFL uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_stadiums

Reply #757769 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

NFL venues are far more suited to this kind of thing. Smaller area than AFL ground, plus the front row of standard seating is already raised. Allows you to also tier on field seating.

I would have assumed, for the prices being charged, that they would have come up with a solution. They didn't.

Reply #757771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually expected them to have slightly raised seating at the floor level, then sell the upper tiers of the stadium. Obviously that would have obstructed the view of the lowest tier (making them unusable) but it would have meant those paying for premium seats would have been able to see.

Reply #757774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ur paying for the experience, noise, atmosphere etc etc
Ofcourse your not going to see the pimples on the players faces.

90% of people watch the game on big screen, thats the experience.

50k ofcourse ur all not gonna smell the players haha.

Reply #757794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What an idiotic comment.

Reply #757797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In that case, you'd want atmosphere and it doesn't sound like there was much unfortunately.

Reply #757802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atmosphere + music, cheering etc etc, the whole vibe.

Reply #757805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how much the atmosphere was deadened by the thousands of people at ground level who didn't know what was happening and were busy worrying about how much money they wasted? The parts of the crowd that could see were miles from the court and couldn't be heard by players.

I'll also point out, because I haven't seen this raised, but the video screens were showing the game in the opposite direction to that in which it was actually running, for those on the team bench sides of the arena. If you were trying to toggle between live action and the screen, you had to flip everything in your head every time you shifted from one to the other. I've never been to a basketball game where I was so reliant on the screens to see what was going on, so I can't be sure that's not normal. But it was extremely annoying.

Reply #757849 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wonder how much the atmosphere was deadened by the thousands of people at ground level who didn't know what was happening and were busy worrying about how much money they wasted?
I'd also guess that was a big part of it. Not like you're going to be chanting when you can't see who has the ball.

Some comments from Chris Anstey and Andrew Gaze.

Reply #757854 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:24 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754