Isaac
Years ago

BA and TEG statement on Boomers game

By all means issue a statement reminding people of the positives, but I'm not sure on the tone of this. I'd have been a bit more conciliatory towards the floor seats who expected a bit more from their sightlines.

Last night was the biggest basketball event ever staged in Australia, which is likely to be surpassed on Saturday when the Australian Boomers and USA Basketball battle it out again at Marvel Stadium.

Over 51,000 fans attended the event and it is worth noting the feedback to us has been strongly positive. Clearly there have been some fans that feel their expectations were not met on their purchased seats.

TEG Live and Marvel Stadium worked with a number of fans at the game to make alternative arrangements. Of the 11,000 fans who had purchased floor seating to last night's game, only 200 people were relocated. They were relocated promptly without issue and just two refunds were requested.

Tickets for the event started from $69.90, which is reasonable and typical for a major international event. Ticket prices on the floor started from $149.90 in the rear sections, increasing in price the closer the seats were located to the court.

We appreciate that it was a different viewing experience than many basketball fans are used to because the event was staged within a traditional football stadium.

There were 14 massive video screens to augment the live action, including providing action replays, statistics and video pieces to keep the audience entertained.

These games feature the best available players that have been selected to represent their respective nations at the 2019 FIBA Basketball World Cup in China later this month.

The action on the court was fantastic as the Boomers took it up to USA Basketball for most of the game but the class of the current World Champions shone through in their 102-86 victory.

The pre-game entertainment was exhilarating and created a concert-style atmosphere, setting the scene for the on-court battle.

Basketball Australia and TEG Live are looking to a further history making encounter tomorrow at Marvel Stadium in front of an expected record crowd for a basketball game in Australia.

Topic #45776 | Report this topic

Hanging Round  
Years ago

The PR Person needs a raise for such positive comments
The 200 'complainees' must all be fans of Hoops or went direct to FaceBook.
Sat night will be 'surpassing' last night-- what with- Complaints?

Reply #757782 | Report this post

Two to make Three  
Years ago

How about:

"To all those people complaining about the view from the front, you all a bunch of short-arses. Basketball is played by tall people. Ok, except for Spud Webb. And Muggsy Bogues. But mostly tall people who could see. As Randy Newman said , 'short people got no reason...' "

Reply #757784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PR spin

Reply #757787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The PR Person needs a raise for such positive comments
The 200 'complainees' must all be fans of Hoops or went direct to FaceBook.
Sat night will be 'surpassing' last night-- what with- Complaints?

Lolololololololol

Reply #757788 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

200 people willing to speak up on the night saying they were unhappy. Isn't there some stat about for ever 1 who complains that there are "x" amount who wont, but just won't come back?

The use of video screens to watch a live basketball game is not ok. From my seats the video screens were actually obscured. Again, I'm not bothered, but I don't think they've really thought about how bad some of the viewing lines were. They simply shouldn't have been sold.

Reply #757792 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And where do they get off saying "major international event"

Its a warm up for a major international event.

Its an international event.

Reply #757796 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"There were 14 massive video screens to augment the live action, including providing action replays, statistics and video pieces to keep the audience entertained."

It sounds like the massive TV I had at home provided an equally enjoyable experience.

The PR team needs a lesson in PR.

Reply #757804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play

The sad thing is people will believe it

Reply #757818 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Sometimes when you know you've done wrong but can't afford to admit it 'the best offence is defence' priniciple comes to the fore. That's what they've done here.

Reply #757819 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

We were so pathetically unprepared, that of the 10,000 fans unable to actually see the game, we were only able to help 200,
whom we successfully relocated to the back of the nosebleed sections.
This won't be a problem on Saturday, because we expect those who purchased floor seats won't bother showing up.
To further cater for fans we are introducing a new category of seating, where for $100 you can stay in your hotel and watch it on TV.
Or for the budget conscious, $50 seats where you get to read about it in Sunday's paper.

Reply #757829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lack of NBA superstars aside, the moment this announced I decided that Marvel was not an arena suitable for watching basketball and didn't entertain the idea of going at all. Anybody with half a brain could have also known at a minimum half of the USA players would never commit.

Sucks, but I’m sure over half of those 51,000 people don’t support Australian basketball and didn’t know what they were getting in to.

Reply #757841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone with half a brain knew the stars wouldn't commit then they didn’t tell the promoters because they sure as shit continued to promote and price the event like they were all coming.

Reply #757845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's ok re players, but I think we are missing the biggest point that people couldn’t see the damn game at all.

Reply #757853 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

I feel sorry for some people but honest what did you think the view was going to be like? You are going to see a basketball game in a football stadium, there is practically no good views.

Reply #757856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, I feel like the team content is a smaller part of it. The squads that were on the floor weren't unreasonable. Team USA was full of well-regarded players - the Boston crew, Kuzma, Middleton got a $177m deal, etc. It's not the big guns but you could see them dropping out from a mile away. Simmons was the one big omission from the Boomers (Broekhoff isn't going to draw a crowd, Exum still coming up, Bolden similar).

But something that was testable well before the games was trying out sightlines from ground level without tiered seating. It's one thing to see the B-team, but it's another to pay and not even be able to see the B-team.

That press release takes zero ownership of that which is disappointing. IMO they should've talked about the grand vision they had in putting on a basketball event unprecedented in Australia, wanting to cater for as many people as possible, understanding those who were disappointed, and offering a phone number to call and arrange a refund.

Reply #757859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Sucks, but I'm sure over half of those 51,000 people don’t support Australian basketball and didn’t know what they were getting in to."
Wood ducks. One and all. However it seems that the wood ducks paid their money and were happy. They lose. BA win.

All in all another BA cluster fuck again. Most sensible people will ask for a refund before tomorrow's game. $1.07 for the USA.

Reply #757868 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

People who paid $1000+ a seat were shown diagrams with their court side seat being on an incline.
Blatant lying on the promoters behalf!

Reply #757880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cost of elevated seating is super expensive. They probably saved a $100,000+

With more events this like this happening, we need a purpose built stadium for basketball, mma, concerts etc.
A 50,000 seat rectangular arena is needed.

Reply #757881 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

"That press release takes zero ownership of that which is disappointing. IMO they should've talked about the grand vision they had in putting on a basketball event unprecedented in Australia, wanting to cater for as many people as possible, understanding those who were disappointed, and offering a phone number to call and arrange a refund."

Fully agree, Isaac. I expect that the positive feedback they received related to actually creating the event rather than the way they then delivered it. And quite rightly - it was great that it happened, just such a shame they screwed the fans in the delivery.

I have to wonder how much control BA had over the seating arrangements, pricing, sightlines, etc. I suspect they had no choice but to 'trust the promoter' and just hold out their hands for the loot. Can’t wait for their financial reports to see how much BA actually took from this deal with TEG Live.

And if it’s true that the State Government forked out $6 million, then the promoters must have done VERY well out of it indeed.

Reply #757882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Thunder Jam
Today

People who paid $1000+ a seat were shown diagrams with their court side seat being on an incline.
Blatant lying on the promoters behalf!"

Prove it or you are the one lying.

Reply #757884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it a month or two and no one will remember how bad it was

Reply #757887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The easiest way to make everyone forget about the problems is to issue the refunds and move on

Reply #757888 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I just can't get my head around the seating used for floorside.

I know that a seat is a seat; and I probably wouldn’t care too much.

But just the overall look of it screamed penny pinching. And stuff like that adds fire to the fuel that the promoters ripped people off.

Looked like they just went to Bunnings got some plastic chairs and some cable ties to pull them together.

For the prices paid for those seats, at least go and hire some more aesthetic seats just for the night.

Just the overall image it created didn’t sit well me.

Reply #757889 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Notwithstanding the added complexity, expense, and time, there's no feasible way to elevate the floor seating. All you would do is block out more of the people in the fixed seating.

Reply #757891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then thats what they should have done, even if it meant not selling the seats in the lowest tier.

Reply #757893 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If we beat the US today all will be forgotten.

Reply #757918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buy a floor seat on an oval what do you expect.

BA and TEG are not to blame for people thinking they're getting courtside NBA seats when they're buying seats on an oval Inna football stadium.

People are responsible for their own stupidity.

Reply #757922 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I hope 36ers management are paying attention to the reaction of seats with no incline, because thats what the bottom seats all are at AEC

Reply #757924 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

It was predictable that the view would not be good from the floor seats, but surely there is a minimum standard that should be expected. Every seat should have a full view of the court, at the least. Were there warnings when selecting tickets? It is the obligation of the organisers to ensure all seating is up to a certain standard, not those purchasing the tickets to assume that the view would be obstructed. Otherwise, why not also sell seats in the corridors, food area and the parking lot?

Reply #757926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um no one has said they thought they were getting courtside NBA seats.

Reply #757927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rdj I've often gone to marvel for AFL games and not had a view of the entire oval.

There is no right. It's an event you pay to be a part of.

Reply #757935 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

LK - what a businessman!

Reply #757979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The shit seats starts the debate that we need a purpose built state of the art basketball and entertainment centre in Australia.
Lk for pm

Reply #758140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth forget what?????

Reply #758141 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The seating debacle.

Reply #758188 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Rdj I've often gone to marvel for AFL games and not had a view of the entire oval."

I recall going to games at places like Rod Laver where they would leave row AA empty -- even for sell-outs -- because there are bars in front. There ought to be some reasonable view of live action. If you think the ground level viewing was reasonable, then either you have seen much better POV photos than I did or you have low standards. So many disgruntled spectators is embarrassing. To me, most importantly, it's unethical. It's also an atmosphere killer. It's hard enough to get regular basketball fans to create atmosphere in Boomers games, even harder to get casuals involved; then try thousands of disgruntled spectators who spent hundreds on terrible seats. No wonder they were all so quiet. If we want to generate continued interest to watch the national team live, not just hyped-up one-off events, we need to create atmosphere.

Reply #758190 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754