The coming NBL season will be the biggest yet
I'm making a prediction. This NBL season is going to be a huge one. I’ve been a very casual fan (I only really follow NBA) with growing interest in the last two years. Safe to say I’m amped for the coming season. My reasons for thinking this will be the biggest season this year:
- Anecdotally first. I come from a group of mates and colleagues who bleed AFL and previously they wouldn’t be able to name an NBL player. Now- NBL is popping up in discussion. Interest shown with many looking to get passes to games this season.
- the Boomers hype. 102,000 in a captive audience plus tv ratings from the Boomers game. IMO the cross promotion has been extremely effective. Also to see NBL players light it up against team USA has given the league more weight. The official NBA YouTube showing previews has already got more than a million views and reached trending twice.
- the Lamelo and Hampton effect. Genius signings. Lamelo is a marketing machine. For some reason or another beyond his skill people are just engorged with Lamelo. His videos are going viral on YouTube, his Instagram has a massive following. This is a huge commodity in this day and age. Next Stars is a great concept.
- Talent. I think this crop of players is of the most talented we’ve ever seen. And not just on the import front. To see bogut, creek, sobey etc. play is going to be very interesting
- The NBL x NBA connection. These games are going to be a launching pad for the NBL season. People are already aware of some of our great talent from the boomers series. This furthers our exposure and credentials on the world stage.
- Access. It doesn’t matter how interested people are in NBL the casual fan needs access. IMO this season I think there is better access than there has been in a while. Sure it can be better but it’s still a vast improvement from where it’s been.
I’ve probably missed a few important points but for me I’m just excited for this season. Props to Larry for turning around a dying league to where it is today.