Anonymous
Years ago

The coming NBL season will be the biggest yet

I'm making a prediction. This NBL season is going to be a huge one. I’ve been a very casual fan (I only really follow NBA) with growing interest in the last two years. Safe to say I’m amped for the coming season. My reasons for thinking this will be the biggest season this year:

- Anecdotally first. I come from a group of mates and colleagues who bleed AFL and previously they wouldn’t be able to name an NBL player. Now- NBL is popping up in discussion. Interest shown with many looking to get passes to games this season.

- the Boomers hype. 102,000 in a captive audience plus tv ratings from the Boomers game. IMO the cross promotion has been extremely effective. Also to see NBL players light it up against team USA has given the league more weight. The official NBA YouTube showing previews has already got more than a million views and reached trending twice.

- the Lamelo and Hampton effect. Genius signings. Lamelo is a marketing machine. For some reason or another beyond his skill people are just engorged with Lamelo. His videos are going viral on YouTube, his Instagram has a massive following. This is a huge commodity in this day and age. Next Stars is a great concept.

- Talent. I think this crop of players is of the most talented we’ve ever seen. And not just on the import front. To see bogut, creek, sobey etc. play is going to be very interesting

- The NBL x NBA connection. These games are going to be a launching pad for the NBL season. People are already aware of some of our great talent from the boomers series. This furthers our exposure and credentials on the world stage.

- Access. It doesn’t matter how interested people are in NBL the casual fan needs access. IMO this season I think there is better access than there has been in a while. Sure it can be better but it’s still a vast improvement from where it’s been.

I’ve probably missed a few important points but for me I’m just excited for this season. Props to Larry for turning around a dying league to where it is today.

Topic #45790 | Report this topic

PerthTrainDriver  
Years ago

Welcome on the band wagon. We hope you have an enjoyable stay. And that stay is a long one.

Reply #758192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we get torched by nba teams coming up, the nbl will cop a small blow. Need to be competitive.

Reply #758193 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Ive followed the NBL since about 1990 and the imports are now better with NBA talent and better exposure on media but the old days of Ricky Grace, The Black Pearl and the Wildcats in its prime was something to behold.

Reply #758194 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Heaps of intriguing storylines to play out this season
* Will Adelaide break long championship drought?
* Is the Sobey/Cadee point guard combo good enough to beat other combos
* Can Cairns beat last season's 4 wins
* How will the Ball sideshow affect Illawarra
* Will a stacked Melbourne team go one better
* When will Perth need to sack an Import threads begin
Any many more.

Reply #758219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't underestimate that Brazilian Didi bloke will get a lot of Brazil’s fans interested, they are loyal community.

Reply #758225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm making a prediction. This NBL season is going to be a huge one.

I've been waiting 30 years for this
Most anticipated NBL season ever

Reply #758237 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

I'm pumped for this NBL Season!! Will be unbelievable

Reply #758299 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind the season starting a month earlier after West Coast cooked themselves out of the top 4. :(

Reply #758326 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

First time in a while I've been excited to see the visiting teams come over to Perth too. Used to be 1 or 2 games that you could give to friends cos you weren't that bothered, not so much this year. Maybe Adelaide, but at the same time the rivalry and seeing steam come out of Joey's head is worth turning up to the game for.

Reply #758328 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:18 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754