Aussie
Years ago

Boomers v USA 46k tv rating Saturday on VICELAND

Nationally. According to Ausmediaweek

Topic #45795 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF. NBL games can get those sorts of numbers. Doesn't seem accurate.

Reply #758251 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Thursday rating?

Reply #758253 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

WTF. NBL games can get those sorts of numbers. Doesn't seem accurate.

Sadly NBL games "average" a lot less unfortunately

Reply #758255 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The top rated ones i.e. finals do. I would've thought this would easily eclipse that range for Team USA playing in Australia. I assume Thursday rated a lot higher.

So more people watched in the stadium than on TV...

Reply #758258 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/1165423600456720385?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Reply #758260 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The ratings system is so flawed.

Reply #758261 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

Reply #758262 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The rating system is flawed, and I can't really trust it. In saying that, not too surprised at the low number (As usual). How many adverts were there promoting the TV coverage? I didn't notice much. On Facebook, how many times do you read comments from people constantly asking if the game is on TV and on which channel. And these are basketball fans. The TV coverage just doesn't get enough promoting to educate fans when to tune in and to what channel.

Reply #758265 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can imagine Thursday night's game probably got better ratings but a lot of people didn't even know that there was a second game at all and plenty didn't even know these games were on TV.

Being a Saturday afternoon I'm sure a lot of casuals glanced at the TV guide saw no footy was going to be on 7 yesterday arvo and made plans to go out or did stuff like gardening etc. Then you factor in SBS being the least watched network of the five FTA networks and the games not even being on the main SBS channel and it doesn't surprise me at all.

Reply #758270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one watches SBS. Many people thought game 2 was Saturday night

Reply #758272 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Do they track views on SBS on Demand? Haven't been able to watch either game at broadcast time. Watched it the day after online.

Reply #758273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else watching SBS on Demand overseas with a VPN? I could barely stream the game.. had to use youtube instead

Reply #758276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So because the numbers aren't as high as you expected, the system is flawed? Ok then.

Reply #758279 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"had to use youtube instead"

Youtube had a stream going?

Reply #758286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly forgot the Saturday game was an afternoon game. I was thinking it was on at 7:30pm until I channel surfed into it.

Reply #758309 | Report this post

Hroz  
Years ago

I honestly thought that game was @ 7pm Saturday.

There was a full replay on YouTube. I ended up watching it like that.

Reply #758310 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

I thought the games was Saturday night. Nice surprise when I saw the news at 6pm.

Reply #758312 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I also assumed the second game was Saturday night and ended up seeing the result on Twitter that afternoon while out for the day.

(The first game I didn't realise was on FTA until half-time.)

Reply #758358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to the game and we didn't know until Friday it was a 2pm game

Reply #758360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it alright,I missed it also, thought it would be a night game.

Reply #758367 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well the ineffective communication on tipoff time makes sense then re: low ratings.

Reply #758371 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Yep. It would also help if the broadcast details were highlighted in the game preview writeup in the papers to let the casual observer know about it also, let alone hoops fans who might already be aware (or not so much in this case)

Not sure about other newspapers but the West Australian didn't advise of broadcast details.

Reply #758375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't think the tv ratinga system is ridiculously flawed you're not even trying use your brain.

It would be like holding an election and just calling 1000 people's landlines and claiming they speak for the entire nation. Those that bother to answer anyway.

Reply #758377 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Re awareness of broadcast times, last Thursday The Roar published this in their Game 1 preview:

"Match 1 of the series will start at 7:30pm (AEST) on Thursday, August 22.

This two-game series will be the final tune-ups before the teams head to China, with Game 2 set down for Sunday"

So 2 days out from Game 2 they were saying it was on the wrong day. Either they were given the wrong date or they made the error all by themselves.

Reply #758385 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If you don't think the tv ratinga system is ridiculously flawed you're not even trying use your brain.

It would be like holding an election and just calling 1000 people's landlines and claiming they speak for the entire nation. Those that bother to answer anyway.

Great example. The classic Labor to win the election at $1.06 (implied chance of 94%) based on an outdated polling method. Yet Nielsen or whatever it is now isn't scrutinised like Newspoll.

Reply #758387 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

@Perthworld its clear that pools mean nothing any longer after the great victories of Trump, Morrison, Brexit as they use methods of data gathering form the 1980's and allow those inside the organisations to frame the questions in a way that suits there leftist agenda.

Reply #758423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality just went full cuck!

Reply #758424 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

Big fan here and I missed the game. Strangely enough, while the game was on I was in the backyard playing basketball with the kids and we were talking about watching the game that night.

It was only by chance I saw a news article later that afternoon celebrating the Boomers unexpected win that I realised it was an afternoon game.

Reply #758822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754