Senator11
Years ago

World Cup bets

Anything stand out to anyone?

I'm liking Kemba most points for the tournament at $10, seems like he is the man on this version of the US team after seeing the friendlies. Patty Mills is at $10 too, but they won't go as far as the USA. Giannis is always a threat, who can stop him?

Topic #45818 | Report this topic

ME  
Years ago

Giannis is a better bet than Kemba. You can expect there to be a fair points spread on the USA, whereas Greece are going to rely a whole lot more on Giannis for essentially everything they need. It's between Giannis and Mills for me. Probably Giannis.

Reply #758761 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Walker should lead USA in scoring and Mills should lead Australia.
Going with Giannis too.

Reply #758763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China to win its group.

Reply #758765 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Now you're in my territory $$$

Any team that makes the final 8 will play the same amount of games (even if you lose a quarter you will play classification games)- so these should be the teams you look at for most points. Other teams will play 1 or 2 games less depending on where they get knocked out.

Whilst Giannis is the favourite and should be, he hasn't been putting up mammoth numbers in warm up games. Teams can pack the paint, and whilst he will obviously be top 5, he may not dominate scoring wise. Same with Kemba. USA have such an even spread, and players can often come in and drop 20 out of no where so it reduces their spread. I kind've feel the same way with Serbia and maybe Spain.

I've avoided him on gone a few others for some small bets, hoping the stars (above) don't have as huge an output as expected. My small bets and the price I got.
Rubio ($29)- been killing it in warm up games (numerous 20+ games), and Spain don't have that many scorers. They are however very deep and spread.
Willy Hernagomez- ($70) real smokey- had a few near 30 point out puts in warmups. Will play pretty heavy minutes and get his chances
Cedi Osman- ($67) I think Turkey will get likely get eliminated pre-quarters, but if they sneak through he'll be the one carrying the scoring load.
Luis Scola- ($71)the most consistent scorer in the world. Been putting up around 20ppg in warm ups and obviously in previous tourney's he's been up there. Depending on ARG success, he could factor in.
Mills- ($14) no description needed. He'll be top 3.

I think all those players (except Hernagomez likely) will average around 20ppg, and then it becomes a bit of a toss up.

A few other bets I put on (and you'll see I like a long odds bet):

Venezuela to win group A ($8.50). Weak group, admittedly haven't seen much of China and you never know, but Venezuela are a small undersized team of hustlers and shooters that could jump a team like China or Poland, and get the points differential up if it's a three way 2-1 tie.

Russia to be eliminated in quarters ($5). Group B is Russia/ Argentina/ Nigeria, and whoever of those 2 gets through will then play group A (above), who you'd think they will smash. A weakish team like Russia (or Nigeria) could slip into the quarters, where I don't feel like they can beat anyone else (Serbia or Spain). Russia also came into some good play later in the warm ups.

Jokic MVP ($7.50)- I feel like if Serbia win the tournament, Jokic will be MVP. He does everything on the court, so even if other players shine on the scoreboard, I'd back him on MVP. I favour Serbia to win the tourney, so this was my value bet for that.

And Boomers to win. Obviously

Reply #758767 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

Have watched a few of Greece's warm up games and Giannis has really been struggling against the smaller court dimensions and zones that are being played.

Fiba which is generally more of a half court game he is no where near as dominant, his shooting has been woeful.

Just my 2c

Reply #758768 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Greggo, what bookie are your odds from?

Also my Kemba bet is a free bet.

Reply #758770 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

@senator they're across 3 and i go for the best price. Classic Bet, BetEasy and Unibet.

Some bets were placed up to 2 weeks ago, so they may have changed. And sometimes when you put a bet on a long odd item they immediately move it in (for example I put $40 on Scola at $71 and he moved straight into $34. Obviously the pool isn't that large and they're just hedging against my (potentially) stupid bet.

Reply #758773 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

$10 on Spain to win at 17:1 seemed good odds a month ago.

Surely Patty Mills leading scorer is a chance and good odds too?

Reply #758781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put a little on serbia @11 a month ago and a tiny bit on @26 a couple of months ago. Spewing i didn't do more

Reply #758782 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I think so too Curtley, but Australia will need to make quarters.

Reply #758785 | Report this post

Captian Peacock  
Years ago

Mills will dominate, even at 31 still effective.

Reply #758788 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All my punting funds are tied up on the Sportsbet Melo NBL MVP special. #freemoney

Reply #758806 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

You've convinced me to throw a bet on Patty now too. Pity there is no markets for assists, rebounds, blocks too.

Reply #758815 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I agree with most others I would think it's between Patty and Giannis for top scorer and think Patty should be the favourite.

Reply #758821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay's odds???????

Reply #758829 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

Surely Rui Hachimura would be worth a punt for top scorer. Japan knocked off Germany a week ago, and narrowly lost to Tunisia (minus Hachimura and their starting PG - Shinoyama) last week.
Its obviously dependent on moving out of the group - but Japan is an unknown quantity at this stage. With a world-class coach in Lamas, big 3 of Fazekas, Watanabe, and Hachimura finally having some real PT together,
and some really good complimentary pieces like Baba, Hiejima, and Tanaka.
I'm expecting Japan to give Czech Republic and Turkey a real challenge.

Reply #758835 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus has already said Japan will surprise. Top 8.
This bandwagon taken.

Reply #758838 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Not really being influenced by the game in progress, but I would rate Jokic as most likely for MVP. Giannis's game doesn't seem to translate as well into FIBA. Same reason why I don't rate Simmons' absence as influential as others do: his game is easier to nullify in FIBA compared with NBA.

Reply #758922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And Boomers to win. Obviously"
Nah. Let's hope they get a place.

Reply #758966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thoughts on today's game?

Reply #759056 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Canada's odds seem way overs? $4.00.

Reply #759060 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Nostraballmus proved wrong pretty quickly.

Reply #759336 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Fading Nostraballmus would be profitable.

Reply #759395 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

I pretty much accidentally did Perth. I backed Turkey and Russia for the next rounds, and he was talking Japan and Nigeria

Reply #759420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Scola overtaking Gaze for 2nd all time scorer, wonder if they will push for him to take number 1 from Schmidt, glad I put a nice chunk at good odds.

Reply #759784 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Have a hit a few multis to build the bank, first time posting one so watch it lose, lol.

Angola-Poland-Puerto Rico-Argentina @ $3.58

Reply #759929 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Angola-Poland-Puerto Rico-Argentina @ $3.58"

Cha-ching.

Reply #760084 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Todays multi: Brazil-Turkey-Lithuainia-Greece -13.5-West Coast Eagles @ $6.21

Reply #760090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put on a 7 leg multi today with all the favourites (except boomers over Lithuania). Paying 4.46. USA were suspended so couldn't add them

Reply #760097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon Scola!

Reply #760778 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

In retrospect, Webster was a good option for points.

Reply #761036 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Webster wont play after tonight.

Top 8 teams will all have another 3 games. As i saw it, most betting agencies weren't based on PPG but total points.

All that said it looks like Bogdanovic is automatic at the moment

Reply #761038 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754