Anonymous
Years ago

World Cup Day 2 discussion (other games)

A lot of games going on. Obviously most interest in the Boomers v Canada game, so that has its own thread.

This is the thread for discussion of the other Day 2 games.

Topic #45829 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

NZ play in half an hour vs. Brazil. If we lose we need them to lose too for Olympics qualification. Could be tense.

Reply #759062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should I be cheering for Brazil then

Reply #759093 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Brazil up 21-20 at the end of the first quarter

Reply #759100 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I like the way NZ is playing. Good to watch. Fuck FIBA and their Olympic qualification system, I'm still going to go for NZ.

Reply #759112 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

NZ/Brazil has been a great watch whilst the Boomers are at halftime.

Incredibly fast paced. Hope the sheep win.

Reply #759120 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

rjd you are correct. It sucks having to worry about Olympic qualification during this tourney and it forces you to not support your regional rivals in a totally different group. What if (purely hypothetical and not that realistic) AUS had USA and SRB in their group while NZL got scrubs? Olympic dreams all but shattered. Stupid system.

Reply #759196 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Tall Blacks trailing by 16 at the final change :(

Reply #759212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster was looking very hot early.

Good signs for the NBL with him and Goulding in form.

Reply #759228 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

NZ go down to Brazil 94-102

Reply #759239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turkey easy over Japan surprising.

Reply #759240 | Report this post

johnnysack  
Years ago

I think the moment and the stage got to Japan a bit - and the Turks opening 3pt barrage.

For a while Japan were hovering around 12pts down and I felt were they to get under 10pts they might reset themselves mentally - never happened unfortunately.

It was a good learning experience. Turkey's guys play plenty of high stakes mentally challenging games for the national team, Japan - playing in Asia - don't.

Overall the result was expected - though the content
was a bit of a disappointment.

Reply #759265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are games on kayo but not foxtel?

Reply #759285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, Foxtel doesn't have enough channels (or want to use up 4 channels on it) and can't work out how to stream it to their premium customers, so you need to get Kayo to watch the other matches.

Reply #759286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France 16 to 4 first 1/4.

Reply #759289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schroder looking average to half time. 36-20 to France. Gaze commentary great as usual. Germany can't chuck the ball in the ocean off a 10 ft tinnny.

Reply #759292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France led by 22 half way through the third, MBaye and Gobert on fire. Germans back in it by end third and trail by nine. German bigs stepping up from outside, Schröder doing better.

Reply #759298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game now. ^^^^

Reply #759300 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Schröder controlling the game now.

Reply #759301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schröder falls over a lot, Furnier for France the main man now. Top game

Reply #759305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France by four after Germany trailed by 22, both these sides are going to be very hard to beat in a cross over game. Both sides full nba stars and top euro league players.

Reply #759307 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Wow, we win, and NZ get pumped, that's like a double win.

Reply #759313 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ losing to Brazil by 8 is hardly getting pumped.

Reply #759317 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I must say, if Australia is in the group of death, Serbia is in the group of love, they will no doubt win all three games and top their group, a very handy outfit!

Serbia v Italy in round 3 should be worth watching, as much as Australia v Lithuania.

Lithuania v Canada is going to be a cracker I reckon...

Reply #759327 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

NZ caused a tight finish

They always punch above their weight. Good on them.

From United perspective, great to see Smith Milner looking trim and getting key minutes since he'll be backing up Barlow at the 4. And Shea Ili with 16 points and playing a key role keeping them in the game late.

Reply #759328 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

well, tight finish in the sense the game was still alive (just) until the last 30 seconds

Reply #759329 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

New Zealand's group is as tough as Australia's though, it will be very hard to get through for the Kiwis now they dropped that game v Brazil, I really hope they can put Montenegro to the sword because Greece will be a difficult task!

Reply #759330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you get one point for a loss, it's not under twelves.

Reply #759339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey Webster looked great in the first half. The supporting cast didn't come ready to score - looking at you Thomas Abercrombie - and in the 3rd Brazil tightened up massively on both Websters and NZ struggled to flow through their sets. A disappointing loss, but I haven't lost hope that they will fail against Greece and Montenegro. If Abercrombie and Loe can get going, New Zealand still has a chance. Don't forget New Zealand has lost their openers at the past four WCs and still made the knockout phase.

Reply #759368 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

NZ did a really good job to hang in there. Wesbter was awesome early Illi was great late to keep them in it, but Brazil just had too many weapons.

I'm hoping Brazil advances from this group. They're my second team and I like watching Leandrinho still get to the basket with ease even at 36 years old - also as a Raptors fan I want to see Caboclo finally do something!

Reply #759371 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why do you get one point for a loss, it's not under twelves.
It's because they reserve the allocation of no points for the event of a forfeit.

Reply #759398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok, thanks Isaac.

Reply #759413 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

That Lithuania thumped Senegal 101-47 worries me - we could have a very tough last game in our pool.
We need Canada to rough them up a bit tomorrow, or thump them to drop their confidence.

Reply #759492 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:51 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754