Anonymous
Years ago

LaMelo Ball NBL Announcement meant 1.4B in media coverage

Article

Topic #45835 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

LK:

"We received, and not to over-exaggerate, that is the actual number that we've been given by the external people that track our media. We received $1.4 billion worth of global media around one announcement of LaMelo Ball."

Reply #759389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That doesn't sound right but I don't know enough about media to dispute it.

Reply #759397 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I imagine that dollar value is based on one of the following:
1. We got a total of X hours coverage across all platforms and outlets, and times that by the cost if we had to pay for advertising.
2. It's estimated this news reached X million people, and the industry says it costs $Y per person to reach people through advertising. So X*Y = $1.4B
3. Some other combination of estimates of what all the coverage would cost if you had to pay for it. I mean how much would you pay for an Obama tweet?

Keep in mind that this is on Lonzowire, so it may not be an entirely accurate quote from LK?

But there's no denying this has been massive.
There are going to be people allover the states (and world) watching the Hawks.

Reply #759404 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If LK is willing to send me a cheque I'm willing to put my name to a pie chart showing that in fact the media coverage was actually worth $2 billion.

Reply #759406 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

BC Prienai have clearly gone from strength to strength

Reply #759412 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

All jokes aside is that 2nd division Lithuanian club he played for last year going gangbusters now or has their situation improved dramatically?

Reply #759421 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An r/NBA post about it for those struggling to understand how the figure would be determined:

Marketing and ad exec here. The way you calculate media value is by assessing what the 500 word article you're being talked about in would have cost as an advertisement. I.e. How much bleacher report, espn, BBC sport charges for an ad of that size. Seeing as it was global hoops news, I've got no doubt they got a good half a billion from all the hoops pages online and in the press (newspapers). They obviously have the full data but TV interviews, newspapers, online articles. It all adds up, excuse the pun.

Curtley - who knows, but it'd definitely be helping the Hawks this season. Very timely for them. Whether people hang around for future seasons is another thing entirely.

I do find it a bit amusing that this prodigious talent is going to be coached by a rookie head coach in one of the smallest market teams.

Reply #759424 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

They are in the LKL this season - 1st division.

Reply #759425 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

We received $1.4 billion worth of global media around one announcement of LaMelo Ball

Simple question. How many $ do the NBL get out of that?

Reply #759426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all smoke and mirrors.

Reply #759432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also from Reddit.

"Worth of global media" and actual money received in the league's bank account are two MASSIVELY different things.

Reply #759440 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Also from Reddit.

"Worth of global media" and actual money received in the league's bank account are two MASSIVELY different things

Of course. I think we all realised that but even approximately, how much revenue would the NBL earn out of it?

Reply #759450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much do you think they'd get?

Reply #759452 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

How much do you think they'd get?

No idea. How much do you think they'd get?

Reply #759453 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I didn't get paid for this post but it is surely worth 1.4Billion in media value

Reply #759454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a fair question. Great advertising exposure, but the challenge for the NBL is to convert this into actual revenue.

I guess SLAM magazine's sponsorship of Illawarra is one thing you can point to. Hopefully some subscription TV revenue from American viewers.

Anything else? I guess at the end of the day it is usually about sponsorships/advertising and TV rights revenue when it comes to sports business?

Reply #759456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll get extra ticket sales in some arenas, some sponsorship, and a boost in merchandise. Maybe ten million in total revenue at the absolute most.

Reply #759473 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Friends that haven't been to a game in 10years are keen to attend the Illawarra game this season.

He is good for business.

Reply #759493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple question. How many $ do the NBL get out of that?

How long is a piece of string?
It's not about how much money the NBL get from this one interview with melo it’s how much they didn’t have to pay to get this much exposure.
It’s already started coming back just in jersey sales for a start and the NBL and teams will see a lot more revenue this year and for years to come.

Reply #759497 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Not to mention the TV contract with ESPN.

Reply #759501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My 23 y/o son is getting excited for the NBL this season for the first time ever he only followed the nba up until the melo signing. Now we are going to a few games in Brisbane and he's getting a melo jersey.

Reply #759502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An 18 year old American the best thing to happen in the league for 10 years sounds right on the money.

Reply #759504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, mates I know who have only a slight interest in basketball are all going to games with melo playing. If the season is run and gun style that most sides will play hopefully a lot stick with it.

Reply #759505 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#759502 why didn't you get him into the NBL earlier? What an NBA snob.

Reply #759510 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I guess Bullets folding didn't help though...

Reply #759511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I literally know people that didn't give a shit about the boomers/canada coming to perth (even before big name withdrawals), but were so hyped about the melo signing and bought Cats vs Hawks tickets as soon as they went in sale.

He's going to introduce a lot of people to the NBL this year, hopefully even a small percentage of then stick around.

Reply #759513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I honestly doubt that Melo is going to bring genuine, long term interest in the NBL in a lot of Aussue NBA fans. All the people buying tickets for the first time always knew about the NBL, they have only started caring about it due to Melo. Will they buy tickets to games next season when he's gone if they don't replace him with another future NBA draftee?

Reply #759526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^just enjoy the ride mate do you remember the 90's NBL?

Reply #759556 | Report this post

Daltonfor3  
Years ago

My sister lives in Wollongong and has teenage kids who are NBA fans and go to Hawks games about once per year. She said the buzz in town for the Hawks is unlike anything she's seen and her sons and their mates are all talking about going to multiple games this year so it seems to be working.

Reply #759557 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"All jokes aside is that 2nd division Lithuanian club he played for last year going gangbusters now or has their situation improved dramatically?"

They are a first div club but I think the Ball's often played with their youth team?

They had their worst season ever the year the Ball's were there. There was heaps of in fighting, talk of the Ball family "destroying the club" and they would have been relegated except that the team in the lower div didn't mean promotion standards.

They changed their entire roster and management in the last couple of seasons and appear to be back on track. Nobody out there outside of LTU looking to watch their games though.

Its a short term thing

Reply #759564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a good point Cram. How much will this *cost* the NBL when the inevitable Ball family shitshow starts?

Reply #759571 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

FWIW, to the "what do the NBL get out of this?", any sponsor (such as SLAM) that has come on board is $ added from the Ball announcement. I'm not sure these deals are going to add a lot long term, but they're definitely adding something tangible.

Reply #759572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754