KET
Years ago

NBL Jerseys 2019/20

https://www.nblstore.com.au/collections/jerseys

Thoughts on this years' Jerseys?

36ers they have improved the front "36ers" IMO, but disappointed about the lack of red trim.

Brisbane they change their jersey font every year - pick one and stick to it.

Cairns they've gone with a playful font for the numbers instead of bold, if it works for any location I suppose Cairns is it (reminds me of 2003 36ers).

Hawks looks on point - they put effort into it (maybe because of Ball?). Wonder how black font on black background will look from afar - the red and white outlines look fine on the pictures.

Melbourne looks like a poor man's Brooklyn Nets jersey, with that said, big fan of the Nets jersey.

Breakers they've rejigged the art, I marginally prefer last year's.

Wildcats and Phoenix look decent.

Sydney Kings went NBA Jam with a new video game font. Not a fan.

Topic #45849 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

"Keep an eye out for a collaboration between the NBL and Warner Brothers later this year."

Reply #760068 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Overall, a bit meh, but I don't mind the Bullets font, and Cairns can only do so much when they're locked in to that full logo...

Phoenix looks nice, subtle, like the Wildcats, I like them... United isn't too bad, I like teh side strip, but it's just a bit too little I think... Agree that I like the previous Breakers one, this looks to be a decent step back, but again, sometimes it's hard to do similar things with being locked in to using a particular style... Again, touch of "made by a work experience kid" feel about it when given a really nice design and asked to "make it gooderer".

Hawks the big winner for mine, and the Kings the biggest loser... Looks like the same work experience kid cracked open word art, deleted their old Spirit logo attempt and spent three minutes picking a "funky" font...

Reply #760073 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I like the Kings and Bullets have gone away from a script don't and gone for something more bold and pronounced. Bullets is reminiscent of their 90s style and Kings has a retro 80s feel. I quite like them.

Not a fan of the Hawks or Taipans jerseys. Breakers is slightly worse than last year's. Melbourne's is a bit too simple but I don't mind it.

Phoenix's is nice though too much black (too similar to United in that sense)

Wildcats has a nice 90s accent to it with the claws on the side. Their don't is still a problem for me. Not a fan of it and I would like to see less red for once!

I like the 36ers. Simple but bold. Dark blue is a good look for them too.

Reply #760077 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

* don't is supposed to say font. (On the Wildcats decription)

Reply #760078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like Phoenix and Hawks jerseys out of the bunch

Reply #760081 | Report this post

Milos Obilic  
Years ago

For me the original & best Wildcats jersey will always be the black and gold west Australian colours. You can google the jersey with the 'Emu Export' logo on it. An absolute masterpiece. If I remember correctly, Wildcats only became red when they became the "Coke Wildcats." That's a horrible association for me. I'll always hope we bring back the black and gold.

Reply #760082 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ's jersey is pretty terrible IMO. Too busy.

Reply #760086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaro must be cashed up to afford that giant hideous yellow name on the back of the cats one. yuck.

Reply #760087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats looks too similar to previous years, was hoping for a more pronounced change.

Reply #760088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks probably my fav

Reply #760089 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wildcats only became red when they became the "Coke Wildcats."
The Coke sponsorship ended on 1999, the jerseys became red in 2007.

Reply #760092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they are getting confused with the Coke Eagles of the AFL through the early to mid 2000s

Reply #760093 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

United, kings, Brisbane and Adelaide are a bit average, not sure they've done enough for people to spend another $70-$90 on an upgrade Jersey.

I like the Wildcats one over previous years as it actually has some 'wildcat' representation with the claws. NZ is OK but prefer last years.

SEM is great for an inaugural Jersey, kids (and adults) will absolutely want them. Hawks is my favourite but it looks like a train Jersey, but it's still looks great.

Reply #760095 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Incredible to think the breakers have some of the best colours to work and still end up with tripe. That font they utilise for the numbers is horrible.

Reply #760099 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Keep an eye out for a collaboration between the NBL and Warner Brothers later this year."

I'm assuming this means DC Comics superhero themes? Which is copying the Marvel marketing initiative by Disney which saw NRL and South African Super Rugby teams wearing super hero-themed jerseys.

Which hero do we have for each NBL side?

Reply #760101 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Phoenix - Green Arrow or Green Lantern
Wildcats – Flash or Spiderman
United – Batman or Batwoman
Bullets – Superman or Wonderwoman
Taipans – Aqua man or Shazam
Hawks – Hawkman or Stepenwolf
Warriors – Lobo or Vandal Savage
36'ers – Raven or Phantom

Just throwing some out there.........

Reply #760105 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Not sure how I forgot Sydney, let's go with:

Kings - Harley Quinn or Steel

Reply #760106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could be space jam 2

Reply #760110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors, Sandal Vag and Iced Vovo all sound made up.

Reply #760111 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

That funky Cairns font is the same one they use for other marketing and promos around town. theyve still got that awful "witnessssss history" poster up near the showground on Mulgrave Road from the start of last season in that font..

Reply #760117 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers: Prefer the font, but it is almost 'too' simple as a jersey. I preferred the red trim on last year's uniform so I won't be buying this year's. It's not bad but not good enough for me to put cash on the table for it. Hopefully we get a better heritage round jersey or something.

6/10

Brisbane Bullets: Not terrible, not great either. The only real difference between this and last year is the font, which isn't overly good. I can't imagine this jersey selling like hot cakes.

5/10

Cairns Taipans: Never liked the orange. Marginal improvement to the jersey with the playful numbers. Another one that isn't different enough for a fan to bother buying.

6/10

Wollongong Hawks: Easily the best jersey of the bunch. Interesting design. Good incorporation of theme and logo. Good font that stands out with its red outline. Yes. This should have been the concept and template for all the jerseys.

8/10

Melbourne United: Simple but effective enough. Definitely a far cry from whatever weirdness they were trying to achieve with the last uniform. For some reason it reminds me of the old Chicago Bulls uniform if it were black? I don't know why it gives me that feeling but it does.

8/10

New Zealand Breakers: Eh. I appreciate their want to keep the artistic flair but it was executed better last season. This just looks a bit messy for me.

6.5/10

Perth Wildcats: The same as last year, except with cat scratches on it. Could have done something a bit more imaginative with those scratches in some way. But it's another uniform with not enough point of difference to buy it if you already own last year's kit.

6.5/10

S-E Melbourne Phoenix: These are reasonable but I feel like they need a bit more green. I also feel like they've used the Melbourne uniform as something of a template and have added a splash of green to differentiate themselves as somehow more "hip" and "fun".

7/10

Sydney Kings: These are kind of fun. I relate to whatever comment was made about it having an NBA Jam video game retro feel. I think they did pretty well with this one. It's simple but it stands out and is eye catching.

8/10

So in my opinion, they range from average to decent. Most aren't distinct enough to warrant buying if you have last year's uniform but Sydney, Melbourne, Phoenix and Hawks are the stand outs for me.

Reply #760119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings have gone in a new and refreshing direction. I really like it. It's not always the answer to go with something old. Great change!

Reply #760135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sydney Kings have gone in a new and refreshing direction. I really like it. It's not always the answer to go with something old. Great change!

Reply #760136 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Phoenix - Green Arrow or Green Lantern
Wildcats - Flash or Spiderman
United – Batman or Batwoman
Bullets – Superman or Wonderwoman
Taipans – Aqua man or Shazam
Hawks – Hawkman or Stepenwolf
Warriors – Lobo or Vandal Savage
36'ers – Raven or Phantom

Uh...Spiderman and Phantom ain't DC.

Reply #760139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Uh......why don't you come up with your own ideas instead of nitt picking

Reply #760143 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Uh......why don't you come up with your own ideas instead of nitt picking"

Nitpicking...

Reply #760149 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

United - Batman (closest city to Gotham)
Breakers - Aquaman (Momoa conconnection)
King's - Wonder Woman (female for the most progressive city)
Bullets - Superman (bulletproof, blue)
Hawks -
Taipans -
Wildcats -
Phoenix -
36ers -

Have to think a bit more for the others.

Reply #760153 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

It always bothered me when Australian teams are not named after native flora or fauna. Likewise, why do we have to use American superheroes? Better if we stick to Australian ones.

Reply #760155 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Cairns the best of a bad bunch (apart from the silly numbers), Kings change of font is not good (wasn't the point of last year's supposed to be that it was kinda regal-looking?). Not really a fan of the Hawks one, but it seems I'm in the minority there.

Not sure about the decision to have the neck and arm bands (?) be separate colours. Looks a bit amateurish on some of them, 36ers' especially.

Also, looking through the nbl store, some ridiculous prices there. Polos $80, trackpants $100, basic tees $50...

I'm assuming that this 'company', shall we say, operates at a loss?

Reply #760156 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

lol looks like the Kings new media person is aware of Hoops then?

Reply #760157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think the Kings jersey captures their "hoops capital of Australia" slogan. Maybe it needs a picture of a troll under the harbour bridge.

Reply #760159 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Re: Kings - why would you do away with the iconic harbour bridge logo? Especially for a new design which looks so poor.

Also how is SWOOP CITY not permanently on the Sixers jersey?

Reply #760162 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

K-Mart sells NBL gear super cheap, the blank jerseys there are perfect for social ball and only cost $5 each. I wonder why they have multiple companies pumping out NBL gear, seems a bit strange.

Reply #760172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thread devolves into Aussie superheroes and I can only think of Paul Hogan's SuperDag?

Reply #760174 | Report this post

Miloš Obilić  
Years ago

The Kmart stuff is just branded as NBL right though? They don't do specific teams? I don't get how this works? Kmart dry fit stuff is pretty good. Often better then Nike in a lot of cases. I have the NSL branded shorts and top. Only because the shorts fit better then any Nike with pockets, and the top just was made of the best textured dry fit material.

Reply #760177 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah it's just NBL branded, no teams stuff that I've seen. K-mart has always sold really cheap bball clothing, their $5 pocketless game shorts are a daily staple in my house. Now they just sell the branded NBL stuff, but have noticed a lot of it was on the clearance rack last time I was in a store.

Reply #760180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't understand why people are complaining that jerseys are too similar to last season. The sooner we get to a point where jersey designs don't change every single year the better IMO.

Reply #760182 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"Not sure about the decision to have the neck and arm bands (?) be separate colours. Looks a bit amateurish on some of them, 36ers' especially."

Just realised the contradiction here. Guess I meant the trim around the arms matching the main colour on the uniform. Doesn't look right in general, but especially when the neck is a different colour.

Reply #760192 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It always bothered me when Australian teams are not named after native flora or fauna. Likewise, why do we have to use American superheroes? Better if we stick to Australian ones.

Please list me all the Australian super heroes we have, apart from Captain Yobbo.

Do you even Australia, mate?

Reply #760221 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'm not a 36ers fan but I'm bloody disappointed in Adelaide's jersey, last year they went with an eye catching darker red and an awesome gold that had me hoping that they'd do away with yet another bloody blue jersey and be more prominently gold (not yellow) with blue and red secondary colours.

Also surprised that Phoenix wasn't more green and whilst I understand both, I just hope we don't have to put up with watching our team play the white team each week

Reply #760405 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I think there's a decent chance Phoenix's away uniform will be the green one.

Reply #760407 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

This thread is surely a bit of fun, not too serious, I don't mind that the marketing strategy includes superheroes and if they are US comic book related fine that's what sells then that's what sells.

As for Australian content in this space, let's stick with the indigenous flavour, I have seen even better playing strips in this space than any other, across basketball, football, rugby etc...

Reply #760426 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Updated, to be honest there's prob not enough well known DC characters to fill the teams.

United - Batman (closest city to Gotham)
Breakers - Aquaman (Momoa conconnection)
King's - Joker (cos purple and Bogut likes playing the villain)
Bullets - Superman (bulletproof, blue)
Hawks - Shazam (cos red)
Taipans - Lex Luthor (a snake?)/Robin (young) can't think of a reptilian DC character right now :/
Wildcats - Flash (cos red)
Phoenix - Green Lantern (cos green)
36ers - Wonder Woman (both like to flex)

Reply #760478 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Just saw that a couple of Australian Super Rugby teams did DC-related jerseys back in 2015 - Melbourne Rebels as Superman and Queensland Reds as The Flash. They look lame however compared to the Marvel ones.

Reply #760524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers colours this year is exactly the same as last year and uses the same colours on their logo lol. Dark Blue, Red and Browny/Gold.

Reply #760526 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Just saw that a couple of Australian Super Rugby teams did DC-related jerseys back in 2015 - Melbourne Rebels as Superman and Queensland Reds as The Flash. They look lame however compared to the Marvel ones."

I feel like that was done by Under Armour, or was that a separate thing?

Reply #760550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian comic book superheroes

Gateway.
Dingo.
Kaboomerang.
Boomerang.
Boomerang.
Captain Boomerang.
Betty Clawman.
Owen Mercer. Half-australian.
Plus a lot more

Reply #760593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They look good , a lot of black jerseys

Reply #760594 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#760593 those are American creations. List me some Australian made ones - that's what the original complainant wanted (LOL).

You made me belly laugh by desperately listing the same character Boomerang/Mercer like four times too. Good one.

Reply #760603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:35 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754