PersonalFoul
Years ago

Coaching Merry-Go- Round (Big V)

Someone tried to get a player movement thread going, but on my limited research there seems to be more going on from those wearing the polos at the moment.

NBL1 looking at getting some of the great coaches in this league up to the next level, and some clubs who I swear only recruited coaches last season going back to the drawing board.

Warrandyte looking after making the GF

Blackburn & Western Port clearing the decks

Much has already been said about the hire of Copeland, do they keep Threatt at YL

RMIT with a funny smelling new advert from reports on others posts

Bulleen who seemed to be re-recruiting for YL Teams

Wallan have switched mens to womens coach and who will take the mens job?

My question would be, who is the best coach (forget the awards) in each division? Who are the best coaches NOT coaching?

Whats the best coaching job out there at the moment?

Topic #45873 | Report this topic

John  
Years ago

Mornington, Chelsea & Casey also advertised some or all of their HC job I believe.

Reply #761396 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Chelsea was an odd one the Men had just been promoted and the YLM were in finals.
Casey like wise.

Casey could be a great location for a coach with the club and venue having a big goal in mind and potentially the resources to do something great.

Blackburn to me always seems like a sleeping giant, a big junior association, good venues or am I missing something?

Reply #761406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn men and women

Reply #761417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawthorn a great role if true!

RMIT would be an enticing roll with a very good import locked in for the next season and a team that outperformed expectations of the majority by a long way. Probably would have made finals if Coffey didn't miss the first 5 or so games.

Casey as mentioned above would be another terrific landing spot.

Any thoughts on Keilor? Had an incredibly stacked roster this past season but didn't make the finals. What gives?

Threatt's team was exciting to say the least! would certainly put bums on seats rolling out a similar team.

Wallan performed well off the back of their big 3 this past year. surprising to see they removed the coach.

Reply #761440 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Did Wallan remove the coach I think Papps has just gone to coach the womens team instead that seemed to become bridesmaids in that comp with that roster.

RMIT a real threat for next season depending on the hire

Reply #761448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Papps move to the Wallan women, did the club ask him to?

Reply #761469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange appointment at Hawthorn

Reply #761515 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Casey was not happy with coach and will need a big fish to get to the level they desire.
Hawthorn will make many changes from coach to players/imports
Chelsea will also sign a big fish, both coaches stepped down I believe
Werribee coach is journey man and moved on
RMIT coach?
Shep, westernport & Keysie need new blood in players and absolutely need new coaches.
These are what I hear but of course rumours and they are the best stories to deliver lol!

Reply #761541 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Hawthorn have rolled out a new set of stalkers on the benches, Peter & Gary moving on, and seem to be really trying to set-up the future of the club. They have been very loud in statements of wanting to play in NBL1

I hear more from them than I do Casey about it

Not Big V but Knox got KENNEDY KEREAMA for the NBL1 vacancy, he is still the CD at Sunbury we have seen this before with Darren Perry having a duel role and two clubs

Reply #761848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good pick up by Knox.

Casey advertising for a new Youth League Womens Coach despite their coach doing a great job, at least from an outsider looking in.

The RMIT position will be interesting, how does their roster change with a new coach?

Reply #761860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warrandyte advertising for a coach for the senior men after making the GF?

Reply #761886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like some shenanigans going on out Hawthorn way....

Reply #762061 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Hawthorn .... they always seemed pretty solid

John Dorge as coach of Werribee, he was working at a school recently?

Whats his style like, will we see anything different from the Devils Men

Reply #762070 | Report this post

A A Ron  
Years ago

How did Dorge go this season just past?

Reply #762074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Peter Godfrey going?

Reply #762080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised that Peter Godfrey got axed. Will the board now also blow the playing group apart?

Reply #762366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hearing Pete Godfrey been absolutely shafted.

Reply #762434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westernport have advertised for head coaching position also, what is Luke Sunderland doing ?

Reply #762549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is staying. He has some big time signings as they gonna go up to Champ. Probably a club policy or something

He has done a freaking awesome job taking them from the bottom on div 1 into finals then up a grade. The dude can coach

Reply #762579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the WP job advertised? Nothing on their FaceBook or Big V website.

Either people are just trying to start sh!t or WP are not doing a good job at getting the word out.

Reply #762590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on their website a couple weeks back.

Reply #762627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on their website a couple weeks back.
Who are the big time signings ?

Reply #762628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that it's only advertised on their website not on Big V website or even their club FB page. Obviously Sunderland is going back so they just 'advertising’ it to say they did so.

If you wanted to get a new coach you would be wanting the word out there.

Reply #762678 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I remember from a past club I was involved in they had some silly rule they had to advertise the coaching role each year except they just did it on their rubbish website and then resigned the head coach anyway. Maybe thats whats happening with WP

Godfrey great coach - bold move from Hawthorn, If I was some of those other clubs out there looking for a Head Coach I would be tapping him up!

Reply #763074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spot on about WP. All their coaches will be re-appointed. Isnt the youth league coach the club president or GM?

Anyone applying for any of those gigs is wasting their time

Reply #763249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ad went up on bigV site today for wp coaches.
Don't think some re applied after being told before the end of the season they would be re signed.

Reply #763416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://geelongunitedbasketball.com.au/bigv-coach-application/?fbclid=IwAR1HtiFx-dAcQQag92_poBK15a8WCKIX8VzvRWmLP-WUj2rQflFS6lhB4ts

I guess Geelong United will be playing in Big V after all. Applications for Youth League and Senior teams. Is it 2018 again?

Reply #763479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westernport saying they are applying for SCM in the ad. The board just saying that to try and recruit a coach then they will play D1 after fooling a bigger name coach into going there so they can recruit players

Reply #763489 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I think SCM is open to a few teams putting requests in

With no relegation I'm not sure how a club can promise a Division yet as the league hasn't released details. And any coach that knows enough abotu basketball here should be wise to that.

Geelong United - forgot about this does this effect coach recruitment for Colac, Corio and Bellarine?

Reply #763497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio are no longer, part of the merger to create Geelong United. Not sure about Colac? And Bellarine has been very quiet.

Reply #763499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blackburn clearing the decks again?????? is that true Personal Foul?

Warrandyte looking to make changes as well.

Reply #763500 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Thats right Corio is in the united deal

Blackburn - I don't have any in depth knowledge on this one. Paul Lankford is now Development/ non-travelling assistant with the SEM Phoenix now and the women couldn't get over the hump so it looks like ALL CHANGE I think they have done well to stay in SCM considering the $$$ spent or not spent depending how you look at it. Maybe a sleeping giant??

Reply #763501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So colac are in Big V?

Reply #763507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Colac.

Reply #763509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Bulleen have just announced their youth league team coaches. Does anybody know them? Josiah Smith and Anthony Arcangel

Reply #763531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunbury will be promoted.

Shepparton, Westernport, Keysborough, Bulleen
And Warnambool all applying to go up.

Warrandyte not applying.

Reply #763541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What changes are Warrandyte making ?

Reply #763568 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A joke if anyone other than Sunbury and Warrandyte get to be promoted, the rest have never been successful at D1M so why be given the right to go up. Every team in CM had either won or played off in final in D1M and earnt the right and respect to go up!

Reply #763580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Warrandyte not go up? Didn't they finish on top? And if their import hit foul shots late in game 2 they win a championship.

Bulleen had a losing record and want to go up.

If the other teams go up Warrandyte will have a very lonely season at the top end of the ladder.

Reply #763581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this year few more teams are looking at going up as bigV asked most of the top four teams from previous season to go up for 2019, hard to sustain with few numbers in scm. Any other year I don't think these teams look at making the move

Reply #763582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But why would Warrandyte not go then?

Reply #763583 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

I think if you're an ambitious club in Div 1 you apply to go up this year and put a case forward, you only have to go up and make sure you're not relegated and its an easier route into the top division that doesn't come around often.

Warrandyte advertising the coaches job was an odd one from the outside considering this years results.

Lets hope the Bulleen YLM coach last longer than the last one.

Key attribute for a coach in Div 1 & 2 is development, culture builder or recruiter - we can say all three but which is the stand out?

Reply #763625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RMIT have hired Jeff Sparrow Per their Facebook

Reply #764245 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Sunderland gone, will definitely wont be coaching at Westernport

Reply #764297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WP seem to be a bit of sad case atm

Reply #764345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be...

Roll the red carpet out for Kenny Brunner to return

Reply #764346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Sunderland had some pretty ordinary behaviour towards his players this past season.

Reply #764386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chose not to re apply. Happy to have a break.
No issues behaviour wise. Gets along great with people down there. Best of luck!

Reply #764391 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Jeff Sparrow is an inspired signing from RMIT and a real game changer for that team, he makes great players and could be a threat for next season

Chelsea have confirmed coach for next season per other post

Reply #764392 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Godfrey back at Kilsyth - seemed like it was always going to happen.

Things are starting to take shape.

Who haven't we heard from? Connect the dots

Reply #764406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge loss for the Steelers. Guessing there would be a mass player exodus if Like is not back.

Reply #764427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having Luke back will hurt as he did great work with the juniors too! Why don't clubs look after coaches who actually care about their programs!

Reply #764432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He stepped down as wasn't able to commit to junior work and seniors. No bust up etc. club will be fine.

Reply #764440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't WP try to make it work. Not everyday a club like them gets a coach like Luke

Reply #764478 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

Once proud Warrandyte womens role will be open int he next few days, just seen McKinnon looking for a replacement of head women and YL Women program.

With a lack of great junior coaches in small regions there is always pressure on senior coaches to coach juniors, it can be a deal breaker for some clubs.

Reply #764583 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754