Let's win this to guarantee a medal!

Topic #45882 | Report this topic

Dave  
Years ago

that is bloody quick, perthworld. Lol

Reply #761766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be great to win but Spain will be very hard. Sensational guards and bigs. Hopefully boomers got another big game in them, be great to get to gold medal game.

Reply #761773 | Report this post

Aussiepride  
Years ago

If you talk to Matt Russell we are already through to the Gold Medal game. Does that mean we don't even have to turn up Friday night?

Reply #761774 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Early odds: AUS $2.67 $1.60 ESP

Reply #761778 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Australia now firming in the betting strongly Spain 1.72 Australia 2.00

Reply #761781 | Report this post

Aussiepride  
Years ago

Argentina at $3 against France. France at $1.40 Get on the Argies!

Reply #761783 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

FIBA scheduled it early so not to clash with the West Coast v Geelong final. They will make sure Spain win to purposefully avoid any risk of the game going into overtime

Reply #761788 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Has Baynes been carrying an injury, or is it something that happened in the game?

He was benched and shirted about halfway through the last, and was clearly in pain just trying to get his shirt on. Then seemed to be nursing his right arm or shoulder.

Reply #761796 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looked to me like he got hurt taking the charge. Started to get up and then fell down again.

Reply #761797 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yeah I noticed that, but I thought maybe he was just winded?
I'll try going back and having another look

Reply #761799 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Had another look. Not sure what happened with that charge. He definitely went down again. Might have just been a knock to the guts or maybe even nuts.

Seemed to moving ok in the 4th, maybe slightly favouring his right arm, but not much at all.
Definite grimacing when putting on his shirt, but hopefully just a niggle he's carrying.

Going to him and all the starters firing for the Spaniards.

Reply #761800 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Spain get the extra days break which could be crucial at this stage of the tournament. We did at times look a bit gassed last night too I thought.

Reply #761810 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The rhythm of playing every second day might help. These things can go either way.

Reply #761815 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree, Baller#3
That extra day is really valuable right now

Reply #761816 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The extra day's rest is big, especially when you consider the Boomers go from playing the latest timeslot of the tournament and then have to back up 43 hours later. Spain have had a full 3 days rest.

The biggest hurdle against Spain is that they replicate a lot of what has been successful for us - battle hardened vets that have played together for years. Only they've done it in the biggest of games.

We can definitely get them, but I think we are underdogs. I don't think that's a bad thing though, as I think Australia plays better when they're chasing rather than being chased.

Reply #761817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Significant differences in rest should be scheduled early in the tournament. Quarters were played across different venues, so there's no reason they couldn't all have been on the same day.

The Boomers will be so motivated for this game, but it's a huge difference in recovery periods and definitely gives Spain an edge.

Reply #761818 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Also, we should be wearing green uniforms on Friday.

Reply #761819 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Boomers were a touch sloppy in that first half last night. Czech don't look as good as France or Lithuania. They were mixing up the defensive looks more than other opponents had, but it was disappointing how they made the Boomers look out of sync.

Hopefully the Boomers pattern of the whole tournament continues for the next game- one good game, one somewhat off game, then another good one...and so on.

Extra days rest makes Spain the slight favourites.

On the other hand, Spain have started slow in this tourney- were down double digits vs both Tunisia and Iran- Iran jumped them 10-0. Serbia and Puerto Rico led them at quarter time. I'm hoping the Boomers get the jump, and then ride on a wave of confidence and keep the lead.

Reply #761823 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boomers were a touch sloppy in that first half last night.

We were, which is why I'm hoping Paul is right about Friday being a return to the green uniforms. That's probably the biggest single factor in whether we can win.

Reply #761824 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #761832 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

That extra day break Spain get is massive. Friday nights gonna be great, Boomers followed by West Coast vs Geelong! :D

Reply #761835 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I think Baynes will probably be alright but clearly needed to be rested. Our bigs will be well rested moving forward, and none of our guards played much over 30.

Reply #761836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know if any of the 3 refs who did our game against Spain in Rio, are also at this tournament?

Reply #761847 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

What a game this will be, on paper I'd expect it to be the toughest game of the tournament.

Spain in a similar position to us, whereby these had the same core @ international level for a number of years now.

Rubio has been firing and they've been getting even contributions across the board and again, similar to us they play beautiful fundamental team bball sharing the ball.

We need one of those perfect games again similar to to our France performance.

Last nights game whilst gritty just wont get it done, too sloppy with the turnovers and need some scoring support behind Patty. Will need significant scoring contributions from Joe and Baynes.

Win this and we're in Pole position for that Gold you'd think!

Reply #761849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know that a win over Spain makes us favourites for gold. A second win against France is probably going to be just as hard if not harder to get than the first. If Argentina knock them off, maybe.

My hope is that Jingles is overdue a great game and if Mills keeps firing, it doesn't take much from the rest of the crew to elevate us to a really high levle.

Reply #761867 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks Luuc for posting that video, yes we owe them one for the flop but with 5 seconds to go we did botch the next possession when we should have at least done the same and driven to the rack to try and draw a foul!

Let's get over that now and rewrite history, GO BOOMERS!

Reply #761877 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah we needed career shooting night by Baynes and a few missed bunnies by France to get that game. Yes we made some big plays, but you can't rely on that all the time. I would say any of the 4 teams is more than capable of winning the gold if they play near their best. That is pretty exciting.

Reply #761883 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I know its all about sticking to the plan and going with what works...

But:
I think we have a better team, but they have some stars who are capable of destroying us all on their own.

Rubio might be the best PG left in the comp, and he carries that team. Can Delly shut him down? That could be the key to the game.
If Delly's off, or gets into foul trouble we need maybe CG to try and keep him contained.

Gasol has been having a great tourney. He has been dominant, and playing good minutes. His backup is ok, without being great.
I don't know if Baynes can contain him? Should we start Bogut??

The battle between Jingles & Fernandez is going to be epic.

Reply #761894 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Baynes will do a better job than Bogut because Gasol knows how to use his size and Baynes can match up with him physically.

Do we go with Delly / Creek for containing Rubio?

Reply #761897 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

Two best teams in the tournament left for mine

Should be the gold game

Reply #761900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubio does not carry the team, they have another guy in llull.

Reply #761904 | Report this post

Ballalld4y  
Years ago

Somne wouldve argued that tonights playoff for 5th shouldve been the gold game haha.

Reply #761906 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

That's true

Reply #761911 | Report this post

SuperDuperCoach  
Years ago

Boomers at risk because they rely too much on the 3 ball. Would love to see more emphasis on transition. Boomers also exposed on the curious way they've chosen to defend the on ball screens, giving away a midrange every time. On the other hand it was great to see Bogey sticking the points away late in the Czech game, more of that please. And I agree with a few others that Ingles is due a big game.

Reply #761914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly and Patty full court aggressive pressure has been the key!!

Reply #761915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Llull is a gun, there guards are extremely good.

Reply #761916 | Report this post

Mervan  
Years ago

Like the video but hate it.

I think on the last Aus possession it was tipped away on a pass. So in my mind we can't blame lemon grass for that.

Also watching the video can't help thinking broekoff would be a nice distraction sitting in the corner!

Also I am loving that Paul isn't there to destroy us.

Not confident but optimistic for a win

(Also since I haven't watched the last two games live I will be abstaining in case I jinx them)

Reply #761920 | Report this post

Stevo  
Years ago

Most important basketball game of my life.

Reply #761932 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Rubio does not carry the team, they have another guy in llull"

What, a basketball team with more than one guard? Whoever heard of such a thing.

Rubio is the most important player on their team. If we can shut him down (without letting their other players run amok) we could win this game.
Of course it is never that simple. But it will be interesting to watch the match-ups.

Spain has not been a huge 3-point team, so it will be interesting to see if our strategy of conceding the mid-range works

Reply #761973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah nah, Spain are anything but a one-man team, and they are team that's excellent with their counters, so shutting down one guy usually opens up another.

Reply #761975 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Where did I say they were a one man team? Or anything even remotely close to that?

As I pointed out, they have THREE guys who are exceptional, and I thought worthy of mention. In point of fact their entire starting 5 is impressive, as you would expect. Their starting Forward, (Clavier?) is no slouch and probably a better allround player than Landale.

But Rubio is a class above. He was on fire against the Pols.
As I said, its not that simple. He's had one off game, against IRAN,
so nobody has been able to shut him down.

Sorry if it offends people to point out that anybody but Australia has great players. As I said, the way GC has been playing, and even Kay & Creek. I think we have a better 8~9 man rotation than Spain, so a better team, but they do have some better players.

Reply #761982 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

There are great match ups across the board,

Delly/Creek v Rubio
Ingles v Fernandez
Baynes v Claver/Willy H
Bogut v Gasol
Mills/Goulding v Llull/Ribus
Landale/Kay v Juancho H/Oriola

Hopefully Joey has some personal insight which gives Australia an effective strategy to blunt Ricky's influence.

But, as mentioned, Spain have multiple guys who can be game winners on the biggest international stage so shutting down Ricky is only one part of the puzzle.

I think the Spanish are jtst as worried about Mills and Co and like 2016 I anticipate a tight match. To close to call but I hope Australia prevails.

Reply #761983 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Jeez I can't wait for this one.

Reply #762011 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I feel like Fernandez has been playing for 30+ years, guys just keeps going.

Reply #762018 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I see a case for starting Creek on Rubio with the sole purpose of upsetting his rhythm. I can't see a case for not starting Delly though (or anyone else).

If you're prepared to throw caution to the wind for the sake of this game and do the above, then it would be easier to replace Creek in the starting 5 with Sobey with express instructions that Rubio is shut down. Even to the extent of fouling to stop him. Give him hell, just short of dirty or thuggish (I don't ever want to see that). Just to try so hard that he will cause fouls anyway. Just stop him early. He has the speed, he sees himself as a bit of a bulldog and, with all due respect for Sobey, he is more expendable than Creek as things stand.

Then Delly, and he's no slouch on D and can take over running the team resting Mills and Ingles from pressures they, no doubt, have been receiving without having to sub out of the game. He's also that little bit fresher than Rubio, hasn't been hassled for the 2 or 3 mins of Sobey's involvement and hopefully, Rubio has picked up a foul cos Sobey has pissed him off so much.

Reply #762027 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I am sure that post is utter rubbish. I often sit hear and let my feeble thoughts go wild while I practise keyboard skills. I delete 99% of them. I hit the wrong button this time. IGNORE THE ABOVE.

Reply #762028 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I can see team fouls being critical in this game as both teams target the stars in order to shut them down. There will be a lot of aggro from Australia who want revenge, and from Spain who want that GF spot and think they deserve it.

Reply #762033 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Think we'll need more Bogut and less Baynes for this matchup. Hopefully Bogues feels good physically and stays out of foul trouble. I think his length at the rim and on the boards will be key.

Reply #762034 | Report this post

I really want to see not only a Boomers win, but Ingles to dominate.

Purely because I really, really want to see the headlines read: "Boomers advance to Gold medal game, Spain No Hablo Ingles".

Reply #762040 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Very good Shane Heal fan. I like it

And Robt, no need to apologise, I like your outside the box thinking. It is bold, risky and very reckless, like Deng Adel's exclusion from the Boomers World Cup team...................it might just work ;-)

Reply #762045 | Report this post

'Tougher than an NBA schedule': The Australian Boomers’ World Cup campaign is taking its toll

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/fiba-world-cup/tougher-than-an-nba-schedule-the-australian-boomers-world-cup-campaign-is-taking-its-toll/news-story/d46a6fd04257d09e285accc72ec7c664

Reply #762048 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

While everyone around him was kicking it, Nostraballmus first picked up a ball in country NSW in 1983. Very soon after he became a Boomers fan. You don't choose your team, your team chooses you.

Today is a big day. Only eight previous days since 1983 has Nostraballmus woken with the same question on his mind as today - is it Medal Day ???

GO YOU BOOMERS

Reply #762059 | Report this post

Joe Ingles is the Boomers' sh*t-talking extraordinaire. It all stems from having some perspective

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/fiba-world-cup/joe-ingles-is-the-boomers-shttalking-extraordinaire-it-all-stems-from-having-some-perspective/news-story/6292dd13d80b94d1040207e938ce126e

Reply #762062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey,

Anyone have a stream for tonight? Much appreciated if you do!

Reply #762098 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Just take a free Kayo trial to watch the game. If you have some that previously, create another email address and use it to take out another free kayo trial.

Reply #762107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Andrew

You need a new mobile number to double up on Kayo trials

I signed up for the 10 day Foxtel Go trial for the games

Reply #762117 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Best way is to sign up via (IIRC) "Bet Easy"
I went through that, didn't even have to verify the Betting account, and straight away linked through to 3 months free Kayo.

Reply #762120 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Ah good call. I've done multiple Foxtel trials but never on Kayo.
I did the Bet Easy 3 month trial too. Talk about perfect timing :)

Reply #762121 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

This is overly simplistic but I am a little concerned in regards to our defensive strategy versus Spain's scoring.
We apparently try to limit 3-point shooting, and close-in shooting, whilst conceding the (statistically poor) mid-range.
However it appears that Spain are quite strong in that area

Reply #762122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubio 3...oh boy.

Reply #762124 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In case someone needs the free Kayo offer ASAP here's the link with instructions:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/45558-2019-fiba-world-cup-how-to-watch-for-free-legall/

Reply #762125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again with the turnovers. Can't afford them.

Reply #762126 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

These O-boards are frustrating

Reply #762127 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That airball was nice, though.

Reply #762128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is solid as a rock

Reply #762130 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Was worried how we'd go when Patty rested. We ended that quarter very well other than the late turnover.
Fkn knew that would cost us :/

Reply #762131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly you IDIOT.

Reply #762132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please stop giving up turnovers!!!!!!!!
Can't win this game by giving it up

Reply #762133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really slow reaction times.

Reply #762134 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We just have to live with these turnovers and do it the hard way yet again. It's unfortunately the Boomers style.

Reply #762135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly come on.

Reply #762136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sergio LLOLL with a huge three

Reply #762137 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ROFL at that.

Reply #762138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get Creek out of there, utter trash

Reply #762140 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nup. Creek giving us some decent minutes so far. Any minutes rest we can buy for the starters this half are valuable I reckon.

Reply #762141 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

Man this is one tough game. Hanging tough boys, keep at it.

Reply #762142 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Lots of barely-stationary screens from Spain, and mispronunciations from the lead commentator who's a prat. (Rubio dribbles behind the back and the commentator says he’s a magician. ROFL)

Reply #762143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek trash? Hardly. Giving great defence.

Reply #762144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek doing fine,

Reply #762145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Respectfully disagree, travels and dumb fouls have no value. He deserves garbage minutes to give the better players a rest.

Reply #762146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of Adelaide fans in here I guess lol

Reply #762147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Creek. Good bucket and now draws a foul.

Reply #762148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Others are turning it over too, that was a flop from Gasol, and we have 1 team foul 4mins in - Creek fouling on a mismatch isn't a bad thing.

Reply #762149 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Expect lots of flopping and head checks and over-acting from Spain if that's what it takes to win

Reply #762150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL Creek is good, Boomers Creek is questionable,

Reply #762151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Offensive on delly? Load of shit

Reply #762152 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Laughable offensive foul on Delly there.

Reply #762153 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Massive flop by Fernandez.

Reply #762155 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HT ESP 32-37 AUS

Not bad.

Reply #762156 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HT ESP 32-37 AUS

Not bad.

Reply #762157 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not bad at all

Reply #762158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We suckin on offensive end.

Reply #762159 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

A positive is we look the better team than Spain.

A negative is we not shooting well other than Patty.

Need some Ingles threes!

Reply #762160 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No disrespect to our excellent defence, but I doubt Spain will shoot that poorly in the 2nd half.
Mills + Ingles = 1/6 form outside so hopefully plenty of lift to come for us as well.

Reply #762161 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Acting by Spain doesn't deserve to be rewarded.

Reply #762162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek got the best +/- in the game.

Reply #762164 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Offensive on delly? Load of shit
Laughable offensive foul on Delly there.
I thought I saw the ref signal a travel. Do we know it was called a foul?

Reply #762166 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Both teams look like they have both played a game every second day for the past fortnight.

Boomers looking ok given the lesser recovery time, do they have enough juice to hold Spain or even pull away in the 3rd.

Reply #762168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have the boomers pulled out a good 3rd quarter yet?

Reply #762169 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The intensity in this game is off the charts. Such a potentially huge occasion. I wish they knew how much support they had back here. Time for revenge.

Reply #762171 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The intensity in this game is off the charts. Such a potentially huge occasion. I wish they knew how much support they had back here. Time for revenge.

Reply #762172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe, it was called an offensive foul - confirmed by the play-by-play.

Reply #762173 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The call previous on Delly was a travel kr not the one we are talking about.

Reply #762174 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"I thought I saw the ref signal a travel. Do we know it was called a foul?"

I'm going to assume that the play-by-play having it down as an offensive foul means that it was foul...

Reply #762175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have the boomers pulled out a good 3rd quarter yet? "

Not since our last game: 30-18 in the 3rd vs Czech...

Reply #762176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 turnovers in 90 seconds. Fuck me

Reply #762177 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Now we force a turnover but can't convert from it. Argh.

Reply #762178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 t/o's in 2.5mins...

Reply #762179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs fucking us again. Spainish player jumps on Baynes - no call. Landale barely displaces his matchup - offensive foul.

Reply #762180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never mind. Refs remember the rules again.

Reply #762181 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

There's the difference between height and what you can get away with between NBL and NBA/Europe with that Kay mid-hook shot.

Reply #762182 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice run :)

Reply #762183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First to 50 always wins.

Reply #762184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really like the fact that the way we're guarding on-ball screens is perfect for Rubio. He's exactly the guard who can't hurt us for this.

Reply #762185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This commentator sure gets a lot of basic things wrong about what the refs are calling

Reply #762186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a great lineup by lemanis.

Reply #762187 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Let's maintain this cushion please.

Reply #762188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 cushions are better than one.

Reply #762189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More great hustle points for Kay

Reply #762191 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ten are even better!

Reply #762192 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This game has been so tense so far but I'll take an 8 point lead nearing 3/4 time against Spain any day of the week.

Our defense has looked solid so far but how much gas do we have left in the tank and can we get our shot to drop soon?

Reply #762193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles, cmon dude. Get ya head in the game.

Reply #762194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here they come

Reply #762195 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spain don't look good but these second and third chances are killing us.

Reply #762196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A final on the line, and there is no hustle from us.

Reply #762197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Longley coach this team

Reply #762198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst commentators ever. Matt Russell is atrocious.

Reply #762199 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NICK KAY!!!

Reply #762200 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Nick Kay. Training Camp form!

Reply #762201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Onya Rubio

Reply #762202 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tech on Rubio for whining!

Reply #762203 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Baynes Block!

Reply #762204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right Rick, twirl ya man bun you massive f.....

Reply #762205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our game, thrown way off, Jackin shots, poor passin etc

Reply #762206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again a turnover, pathetic.

Reply #762207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dammit Rubio. You redeemed yourself twice.

Reply #762208 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Our nice points cushion all but gone.

3QT ESP 51-55 AUS

Reply #762209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has lost his head

Reply #762210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Turnovers are just killing our chances!

Reply #762211 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Foul trouble update
Bogut & Landale 3
Delly 2
No one else with more than 1

Reply #762212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should be up 15 going into final qtr.

Our high iq team has brain damage at the moment.

Reply #762213 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Think that was Bogut with the bucket. Hard to tell with that ridiculous camera angle.

Reply #762214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills has seriously lost his head, wtf dude.

Reply #762215 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Looks like we'll have to beat the refs too.

Reply #762217 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Great patch by the Boomers

Reply #762218 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Awesome D by Bogut.

NICK KAY AGAIN!!!

Reply #762219 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Would have been nice for Ingles to splash that three, but drawing a foul and getting 2 from the alley is probably handier in the long run.

Looks like Spain are gonna try to act their way back into this one.

Reply #762220 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

agree with Rat10 - the refs starting to look a bit partial to Spanish over-acting

Reply #762221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is our best Pf today

Reply #762222 | Report this post

Joe  
Years ago

Woah Kay making it look like a training clinic out there

Reply #762223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay just knows how to play!! Landale, would have not noticed Spain was one down, but probably have run into a teammate... Still like Landal, but he has some growing to do.

Reply #762224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Delly went off late 3rd and early 4th, we couldn't run properly.

Reply #762225 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nick Kay just gets to the right spot every time

Reply #762226 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I love how Rubio earlier grabbed his head when he got whacked on his arm.

Reply #762227 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ughh... again great momentum and we throw it away

Reply #762228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles, omg.

Reply #762229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The commentators are horrendous. Nick Kay is awesome.

Reply #762230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

turnovers hurting us!

Reply #762231 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Kay with the almost-three. Imagine if that went in.

Reply #762232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creeks D on Gasol been amazing

Reply #762233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mmmmm, lost our cool, lookin like lost the game.

Reply #762234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score please

Reply #762235 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

3:00 left ESP 65-67 AUS

Reply #762236 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We're having a ref mass-debate right now. Good call.

Reply #762237 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Make em count, Patty

Reply #762238 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Awesome fouling Spain.

Reply #762239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #762240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the circle!! Bad offence though.... two bad sets in a row

Reply #762241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boy oh boy
The choke is on

Reply #762242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #762243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kay you could of been a hero. :(

Reply #762244 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

OFFS
This offence of ours right now is kiling me!!

Reply #762245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missed foul call there

Reply #762246 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Heart attack stuff. We keep giving Spain so many opportunities.

Reply #762247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God they've executed so well the last few. I don't like our chances.

Reply #762248 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Boomers 70
Spain 69
28 seconds left
Spain ball.
Both teams in the bonus.

This is it.

Reply #762249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just the scores please

Reply #762250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible call Mills fouled

Reply #762251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly, Aus is going to lose =(

Reply #762252 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spain to the line.

We are up by one.
:(

Reply #762253 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

8.7s left.

Reply #762254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a disgraceful call!! massive flop by gasol!

Reply #762255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another shit call

Reply #762256 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ESP 71
AUS 70
8.7 seconds left
Boomers ball.

Reply #762257 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESP 71-70 with 8.7s left. Time out. Our ball advanced to the half way line.

FFS too many turnovers by us.

Reply #762258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We had a good run. Refs just don't want Australia to win anything.

Reply #762259 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Plus these refs too.

Reply #762260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is dopey bogut suggesting with the dollars signal with his fingers

Reply #762261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs bad, yeah.

But man what a choke. So many poor decisions.

Reply #762262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus needs to a miracle shot.

Reply #762263 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG MILLS DRAWS A FOUL

Reply #762264 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Mills draws the foul

It's a reverse Rio

Reply #762265 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Still 4.7 seconds left

Reply #762266 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

71-71 one free throw to shoot

Reply #762267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty ain't gonna miss. We only need one. Come on patty!!!

Reply #762268 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

OT!

Reply #762269 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mills misses the last free throw.

Rubio nearly hits a buzzer beater but it rims out.

OT :(

Reply #762270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patty for MVP

Reply #762271 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG it's never easy with the Boomers, is it?

Reply #762272 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Boomers GOAT Gaze wouldn't have missed the free throw.

Reply #762273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs continue to do their best to ruin this game.

Reply #762274 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

C'mon Joe.
You're better than this

Reply #762275 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So close, yet so far...

Reply #762276 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

My heart breaks that little bit more with every farking turnover. Our blokes look gassed.

Reply #762277 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

HUGE Mills three after Gasol hit one.

Reply #762278 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Kay! #NBL

Reply #762279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Australia

Reply #762280 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

76-76 if anyone needs the score. 3mins left.

Reply #762281 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nick Kay 18pts!

Reply #762282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick Kay get a lot of shit, but adding him to the team has paid off

Reply #762283 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Joe. You have to shoot it!

Reply #762284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks. Foxtel Go = fail.

Reply #762285 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

78-78 Ingles makes both free throws. 2:22 left.

Reply #762286 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another turnover.k wjflfejwewfjewklfjwkljfkjwlwkfjejf

Reply #762287 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Patty, accept the foul and STFU. You don't want them going to the video for that contact to the "throat"

Reply #762288 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We basically now have the last shot of the game. Still 78-78 15s to go we have 14s shot clock.

Reply #762289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a dream that one day Aus will stop turning the ball over

Reply #762290 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spain foot violation to reset our clock to 14s with 16.3s left. Not bad considering the breakdown on that possession.

Reply #762291 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I have a dream that despite our 3049309403903 turnovers that we medal.

Reply #762292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking forward to the 2nd overtime. =)

Reply #762293 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Spain can't believe they're getting called for grabbing the opposition. I kind of can't either.

Reply #762294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not gonna lie, Mills made it look like Zion Williamson hit him or something lol

Reply #762295 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

AUS 80
ESP 78
14.2 seconds left

1 stop needed.

Reply #762296 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

ESP possession.

Reply #762297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see an open layup on this play

Reply #762298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain gonna get the 3 and win =(

Reply #762299 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Mills playing the flop game but it has been absolutely necessary to keep us in it.

Reply #762300 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is so much better than NBA.

Reply #762301 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gasol to the line for two.

Reply #762302 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

4.2s left. Still 78-78.

Reply #762303 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I mean 78-80 we're up by two

Reply #762304 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

AUS 80
ESP 80
4.6 left
Booomers ball

Reply #762305 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gasol 2/2, 80-80, 4s left

Reply #762306 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Delly missed the runner

DOUBLE OT

Reply #762307 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Delly not a bad shot but no good. Double overtime.

Reply #762308 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I picked a bad week to give up alcohol!!

Reply #762309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I look forward to the 3rd OT =)

Reply #762310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The ref is disgusting, cheat

Reply #762311 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Luuuc I won't update since you are - I'm watching on Kayo stream not Fox at home which is obviously faster.

Reply #762312 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

If I stop updating it's probably because I've had a heart attack.

Reply #762313 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The guy with the Foxtel Go issue got me thinking - what a travesty that this isn't on free to air TV for the masses to see.

Reply #762314 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ouch. Spain off to a good start here. Blanketing Patty.

Goulding subs in. Not a bad call with Joe refusing to shoot

Reply #762315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way we can survive double OT again this Spanish team

Reply #762316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game over. Aus can't recover from this

Reply #762317 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Reply #762318 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

ESP 90
AUS 82
2:06 left and it's going to take a serious rescue mission from here

Reply #762319 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Well this loss will hurt for a long time

Reply #762320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

W deserved to lose, couldn't keep our heads from the 3/4. It was hero ball.

Reply #762321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Exum could have stopped Rubio.

Reply #762322 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Baynes for 3 to keep us alive.
Silly foul by Creek though

Reply #762323 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Turnover

That'll probably do it

Reply #762324 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Another turnover.
Awesome.

Reply #762325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does ingles refuse to shoot the ball!!

Reply #762326 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

FFS
This is embarrassing now

Reply #762327 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Turnovers are disgusting. Choking in the clutch

Reply #762328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heartbreaking loss

Reply #762329 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We look like some random pickup team now.

Reply #762330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus too tired to play

Reply #762331 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Final score
ESP 95
AUS 88

Reply #762332 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT ESP 95-88 AUS

Reply #762333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles terrible time for a crap game

Reply #762334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee boguts man going for 40

Reply #762335 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Spain the first team to shut down patty late knowing no one else would step up

Reply #762336 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

2OT is really not what a fatigued team needed going into the bronze medal game

Reply #762337 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If only Mills hit that second free throw in regulation...

Reply #762338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aus really blew it. They could have won with OT.

Reply #762339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clutch shot after clutch shot

Reply #762340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping Spain lose the gold

Reply #762341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ran out of gas in the end, I'm proud of how they played this tournament

Reply #762342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chokers once again. Great effort but this team lost there minds today.

Reply #762343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

told you we are never going to medal with average nbl players. What have gliddon, Barlow, sobey contributed in this tournament ?

Reply #762344 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

There is almost no point in playing for Bronze now. It doesn't mean anything after this.

Reply #762345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If aus stopped the turnovers, they could easily defeat a full-power USA.

Reply #762346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

25 points from turnovers, can't win games like that. Inglis looked absolutely gone physically.

Going to be hard to win bronze now.

Reply #762347 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

Ingles hesitation to shoot the ball is incredible. Woeful.

He is actually one of the least 'clutch' players ever.

Has the same problem in the nba, but here nobody 'tells him what to do' with the boomers. So he gets away with cruising along in 3rd gear.

Reply #762348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles must be injured and/or severely fatigued. He's been entirely unwilling to shoot for about 3 games now, and it's hurt us.

Reply #762349 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We really should have won it in regulation. The offense went super-passive down the stretch.

Reply #762350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

told you we are never going to medal with average nbl players. What have gliddon, Barlow, sobey contributed in this tournament ?

Reply #762352 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

There is that extra days rest for spain. So handy in the end for them to have extra rest but we should of obviously iced it before OT.

Reply #762353 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ah well, we had our chances. Tough loss to a great team, but can't help but feel we shot ourselves in the foot more so than we straight up lost.

Reply #762354 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

What really hurts is I think for the first time against Spain we were the better team. Just couldn't shoot and turned it over way too much.

Reply #762355 | Report this post

Tim  
Years ago

We looked like dinosaurs out there towards the end.

Given that you cant feel bad. We were terrible for the last 15 minutes.

Reply #762356 | Report this post

Sad  
Years ago

7th game - 26 hour shorter turnaround and double overtime. Fair thing would be for all QF games played on the same night so all 4 teams have the same break before the next game. Australia were always at a big physical disadvantage and amplified by double overtime

Reply #762357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's keep things in perspective. Did we really expect that our Boomers would play in the Gold Medal game? How far they have come is already a win. If they win the bronze game then that is a smashing success. It would be disappointing if they lost that game however.

Reply #762358 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Proud of the guys for getting this far. A bit too desperate in the two OTs, which led to too many turnovers and poor shots. Such a shit that Andre had no more timeouts left at the end of 1st OT. @#$%^&*!@#$%^&*!

Reply #762359 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Baynes for 3 to keep us alive.
Silly foul by Creek though
If they're going to call that, they should've called the one that caused the Mills turnover at the end of regulation and this game would've been over then and there.

Somehow Spain are the least responsible of the three teams on the court for that win.

Reply #762360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles has been disastrous. Cute passes, turning down open shots, missing what he does take probably because he second guesses it then has to shoot with no rhythm. The fact that he played basically the whole game while contributing very little (-15) was probably a mistake on Lemanis' part.

Still, I think they were fantastic tonight. The bad call on Bogut to put Spain up at the end of regulation and Patty's missed FT will haunt us for a while. The errors in the OTs were forgivable given Spain had the extra rest and our best guys were out of legs.

Kay was fantastic and should be a lock for Tokyo. Whether we take bronze on Sunday or not, this group have shown that they deserve a chance next year.

Reply #762361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a shame Simmons won't play in Olympics and Exum will probably be injured...

Reply #762362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles is not a top 3 Jazz

Reply #762363 | Report this post

kay a lock for tokyo ? no thanks

Reply #762365 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah sloppy, passive game from Ingles, no doubt. Fatigue I think.

Reply #762368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaming the refs is such a weak cop out

Reply #762369 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus is gutted considering we were up 11 deep in the third.

Scariolo adjusted, and we looked a bit like we had no plan B.

Proud of the effort but I'm done with proud.

Reply #762370 | Report this post

rusty83  
Years ago

We choked, pure and simple. You could see the writing on the wall in the 4th quarter when Delly kept missing open 3s and Joe was top scared to shoot the ball. Meanwhile ESP were knocking down most of their 3s and walking the ball to the basket for easy 2s.

The Aussies need to take their focus off winning gold medals and simply trying to maintain their mental focus for a whole game of basketball. You can just see in the tight moments the weight of the world falling on their shoulders, the pressure is simply too immense and they go into their shells, unable to win and desperately trying not to lose.

Reply #762371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay needs to be more confident. He was worried out of a few easy shots tonight. If he hit them, it could've ended different

Reply #762373 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Kay did much more good than bad, but missed a couple of key bunnies too. But so did Landale to be fair. I don't think landale should start in the 3rd place game to be honest, see how he does with the 2nd unit.

Reply #762374 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Considering this team effectively lost a rotation when Bolden spat the dummy and replaced with a guy that was never going to see minutrs. We were always going to fatigue. Hope Bolden is out of the Olympic squad

Reply #762375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was having a few bevvies with the great Alan Black tonight. What a shit show

Reply #762376 | Report this post

Credit to Lemanis getting the team this far and obviously well liked by the group

Reply #762377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Creek proved he is rubbish, critical turnover in clutch time, pathetic

Reply #762378 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

That was the most stressed I've ever felt watching a game.

Reply #762379 | Report this post

we need Bolden and Adel instead kay, if we want to medal

Reply #762380 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I see Dave has a new name.

Reply #762381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ingles sucks in this match

Reply #762382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay scored what 10 points? Creek did fuck all

Reply #762384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum should have been on this squad instead of Kay, better D and doesn't miss layups,

Reply #762385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kay sucks

Reply #762386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bronze medal rubbish again

Reply #762387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay 18 points & 11 rebounds.

Reply #762388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who says Kay sux after tonight can go suck a lemon

Reply #762389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles been pretty arrogant. Always trying to craft something out of nothing.

Reply #762390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any one who knocks any player that played today are losers who have never done anything. Nine man rotation ask your self how many Spain used nine you fu.k wits.
Great effort boomers an extra day off would've helped so tiredness crept in but well played and coached by all.

Reply #762391 | Report this post

Well done to Kay. Played world class and great selection for the team even against the advice from experts on this forum.

Reply #762392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you guys watch Euroleague you would have had Motum over Kay, and why wasn't Landale in the game? Lamelameass provides again.

Reply #762393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adel is a spud.

Reply #762394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put your patriotism aside and accept facts.

Reply #762395 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well done to Kay. Played world class and great selection for the team even against the advice from experts on this forum.

He was very good. Played a lot of crunch time minutes, and deservedly so.
16 points & 11 boards in a world cup semi final. Has come a long way in a month!

Reply #762396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone needs to calm down. The boomers were big underdogs in this match and they were for a reason, and it was the reason we lost. This Spain team is a powerhouse with experience on the world stage. Of course they are going to have a cool head in crunch time. Did we have our chances? Certainly. But the fact we had our chances shows how well this team did. If you asked if the boomers would be playing to get into the gold medal match two weeks ago you would be crazy. Now we have a shot at a bronze medal. Let's be honest our goal really has been to get a medal. You can believe this team will be hungry to win that game. I suspect we will be playing Argentina and I suspect we will make history on Sunday night with a podium finish.

Reply #762397 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Honestly? After that, and the schedule leading up to it, I would be unsurprised to see us get beat handily on Sunday.

Reply #762398 | Report this post

Blah Blah... "Lemanis should have picked..." "Lemanis should have not rotated...." ....What a bunch of sad sacks. He got us to a semi final

Reply #762399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kay is at best a role player in the NBL, would not make any decent team in Europe or NBA. he sucks

Reply #762400 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Even if Kay goes as 12th man, he MUST be included in the Olympic squad for his performances in the WC and for what he will bring in a year's time!

Reply #762401 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If I feel exhausted and gutted how must the players feel!

I'm still proud of the team and I'll be supporting them come Sunday.

Reply #762402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we would have won the gold with adel, green and bolden, it is all Lemannis' faults

Reply #762403 | Report this post

Shagnasty  
Years ago

Sorry but Joe hasn't been great this tourney and it was pretty evident tonight. Unfortunately he doesn't show up at these big tournaments for Oz. The guy almost had the best 3 point % in the NBA a few years back and this should have been his event in the department......

Reply #762404 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

What is this key hate? He might have a smaller role but he will be in the team for Tokyo without a doubt. Hes basically a tall Delly and I think that is valuable for sure.

Reply #762405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, hell of a game. Mills and Kay brilliant. That pair kept us in front almost the whole game.

Can't prepare for Ingles and Goulding shooting 1/12 from 3 between them. Or Delly and Mills having 13 turnovers between them. Some great players just weren't quite able to carry us one more time. They are great players though, let's hope they can dig deep for Sunday.

Reply #762407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hooopie, are you kay's mum or wife ? jesus.

Reply #762408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kay was easily in our top 2-3 players over the course of the tournament.

Reply #762409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a more athletic forward is what we need, not kay, he is too slow.

Reply #762410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How good was that Delly heave and that sweet three airball

Reply #762411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more like in the bottom 3, koberulz

Reply #762412 | Report this post

Makur Makur  
Years ago

I was definitely wrong about Kay, he was unbelievable tonight, glad we didn't pick Adel.

Reply #762413 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Neither. I'm an experienced coach & ex-player who recognises the value of players regardless of which league they come from or how big their contract or ego or Twitter following is.

Reply #762414 | Report this post

"we would have won the gold with adel, green and bolden, it is all Lemannis' faults"

Wow tell me the tattslotto numbers champ! Outside your fantasy squad: The entire squad put in 100% and we didnt get it done in 2nd OT.

Well done to the entire team!

Reply #762415 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

and great job by Lemanis and the coaching staff to get us here and have us in the game almost to the end against the Spanish powerhouse

Reply #762416 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Extremely deflating, we did so much right in this game and other than turnovers and Goulding throwing up rubbish when we needed him (not hating on him but his shot didn't look like it would drop in the second half).

Immensely proud of Nick Kay and how he performed for us. I wouldn't say he's a lock for Tokyo but he will be hard to displace.

I know others don't care about Bronze but I still want it. This game will cause so much mental scarring and hopefully a bronze will alleviate some of that going forward.

Will this loss hurt how this sport is seen in Australia ?
I feel like we needed that gold medal game to really hammer home the momentum that this sport has seen of late.

Go Boomers

Reply #762417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kay is so good, but has been a basketball journeyman all this life. How does this work ? If he is good how come no big European club or NBA club has snapped him up ?

Reply #762418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone cares about bronze, it would be our first ever medal at the highest level.

Reply #762419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard loss to stomach, but it was great to see the boomers do so well.

I'm really excited to see Brokeoff, exum and Simmons join this squad - we were really short some guards and wings this tourney, given how run down delly and ingles were.

Bolden would have helped tonight a lot

Reply #762420 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Hats off to Nick Kay, certainly proved me wrong.

Reply #762421 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Boomers took Spain again all the way as underdogs, with a day less rest, appearing tired, and nearly stole the win. Obviously could've gone either way. I'd like to be able to say refereeing wasn't a factor, but it's as much to do with the Spanish acting.

Both teams appeared tired. The extra day rest was surely beneficial to Spain being on the FIBA-assisted half of the draw.

With late game exhaustion kicking in, Spain effectively ran some basic pick-n-rolls, the good old NBA-style option when you are required to play so many games/minutes. This is the case where running a system like Lemanis is a tough ask, especially in 2OT after a tough schedule. Ingles has the capacity to run this action too to generate some easy baskets without too much action from others, but he was strangely passive. Without Ingles's scoring threat, teams can adjust and nullify him too easily.

Still have a chance to steal a bronze medal. It's already Australia's best tournament ever IMO.

Reply #762422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We know for sure Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow won't be there inn2020.
It looks likely creek and Kay might not make it also. Gouldingbalso on the fence.

5-6 new players coming in.

Reply #762423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goulding, kay, sobey, gliddon, Barlow should take further part in this team if we want to medal in tokyo

Reply #762425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does Bogut get cut, has looked real lazy half the time.

Reply #762426 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Will this loss hurt how this sport is seen in Australia ?
No. It'll be roundly ignored.

A gold medal win is the only way anyone in the media was going to notice, although even then it's probably a stretch.

Reply #762427 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Nuffy anon trashing Kay. Probably the same one, no balls to put a name down

If you had to point a finger it would be it wouldn't be at him. Played 10x the expectation people had of him, especially when landale just isn't strong enough yet, but still gets scapegoated. He wasn't the ball handlers dishing out turnovers like candy, or missing crucial 3s during the game.

Reply #762428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles was the most disappointing just disappeared and sat in the corner when they needed him do try and be a scoring option

Reply #762429 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

OK! So we are all heartbroken. Reckon that that game will be seen as the best game, overall. A mighty effort by both teams. Congrats and Damnation to the Spaniards.

Let's all cheer the Boomers through their next and last game of this WC against .. whomever? They have been oustanding, IMO, learnt and progressed at nearly every step.

If any of them are silly enough to read our comments, let's let them know that we are there for them to the last.

Go Boomers, here comes our first medal! Bronze may even become my favorite colour!

Reply #762430 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If you said prior to the warm up games v Canada that Australia would be playing for Bronze you would take that in a heartbeat.
Still so much to play for still a medal up for grabs.
Well done fellas.

Reply #762431 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

So proud and heartbroken all in the one night. Shattering loss but massive effort. The toll on the teams stars gradually wore them down. Let's grab that bronze as a stepping stone for Tokyo.

Reply #762433 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly! They are 6-1 and that only loss was to Spain in 2OT!

They've been amazing, the best Boomers team ever by a margin. I think it will be very hard to back up on Sunday and win bronze, but bloody hell hope they can do it.

Reply #762435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A squad and coaching staff that showed all the smarts until they needed it most. The Offence fell apart. The switching on Gasol never worked but no adjustments made.

No one wanted to shoot the ball for fear of missing/being blocked.

Coach going with Kay/Bogut not Landale (for some more minutes) and Baynes, refusing to switch things up with Goulding and Creek as they had all tournament more signs of a group that had too much pressure on their shoulders in this one.

Played against a great team and lost composure when they needed it the most. Tough to get back to their best in time for a bronze game against one of two very good teams. Another 4th coming for the Boomers.

Reply #762436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've been playing with pretty much 7 guys on full minutes.
When you space that with the 9-10 guys playing major minutes for other teams, aus players are playing almost 2 games more in minutes over the journey. 1 less day of rest also.

Reply #762437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone saying we're playing for Bronze on Sunday are the Shane Heals and Andrew Gazes of the world constantly annoyingly hyping and over estimating the performance or possible outcome - lower your expectations - after that loss which takes a huge mental toll and quite clearly the players were gassed I would not be surprised if the Boomers are flogged Sunday

Reply #762438 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Fucking gutted :(

That was hard to watch. Too many repressed memories came flooding back. But i still feel proud at where we find ourselves, given what we had to do to get here.

What is with these moron troll anons bagging out kay? He was massive tonight. If he had done nothing else all tourny he justified his inclusion in the team just from tonights performance. Clearly must be just taking the piss. Or just dont watch the game.

Lets get that bronze.

Im going back to more heavy drinking.

Reply #762439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay was great tonight but his lack of confidence going one on one showed a few times when he was worried out of some easy buckets

Reply #762440 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Post game comment from Luc Longley:

"Spain gets kissed on the dick by the basketball gods every time we play them."

Reply #762441 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah thats true. But several of those were 1v1 against gasol.

How often does anyone really expect him to win that?

His mistakes and misses were heavily outweighed by his good screens, box out o rebounds and defensive plays. However you look at it. He was one of our best tonight.

Reply #762442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"moron troll anons" from someone calling themselves Flop Warning. Kay was great on the Offence Boards, but gave up 2 lay ups which he should have just dunked because he was scared of being blocked. Had his moments but you can't miss those shots when trying to reach a Gold Medal game.

Reply #762443 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Joey... mate! Whats doing with Joey Ingles? Seemed... adverse to shooting the ball. Not what I expected.

Reply #762445 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Meh, if you dont know the reason why my name is flop warning. Im not going to explain it to you.

My name has little to do with what i said. So thanks for pointing out that you are one of those "moron troll anons" that knows nothing about bball.

Reply #762446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This World Cup format meant teams playing one too many games (8 games) to win a medal in such a short period - its not an excuse why Boomers lost to Spain just that you are not going to get the best basketball if the players/teams are exhausted. Tonights game should have been the final played on Sunday with two full days rest for each team.

By comparison with FIFA world cup 2018 - the champion France played a total 7 games not 8.

US/Aus/Wimbledon/French Open is also over 2 weeks and the finalist play a total of 7 matches.

Reply #762447 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Major FIBA tournaments have long been 8 games.

Reply #762448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

using "Flop Warning" as your "Name" is the actual definition of Anonymous. Given I answered your question I can't see how I'm the troll here?

Reply #762449 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

The only question i asked, technically. Is how often does anyone expect kay to beat gasol in a 1v1. And you didnt answer that...

I put a name to the things i say, you dont. I think its pretty obvious what you need to do.

Btw. That wasnt a question.

Reply #762450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flop Warning isn't a name. You asked why people were frustrated (hating) on Kay. I explained one possible reason.

Reply #762451 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Have a good night mate. This is a pointless conversation. And it doesn't interest me.

Wanna talk about it further, choose a name. Im not getting involved with discussions with an anon. Hate my name choice if you want, but there is a specific reason it is what it is.

Reply #762452 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was the most stressed I've ever felt watching a game.

This.

On Ingles I did ask in the quarter final thread if something was wrong with him. Boy did we find out tonight.

Reply #762453 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Meanwhile, in South London, argh screw the cricket. I'm going to bed.

Reply #762454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Inglis looked like an old man, just hasn't been himself the last few games, he never sat on a seat at time outs, sat on what looked like an high esky. I wonder if he’s got back problems. Kay was great but for a couple of give me misses, tiredness can be a factor in this. Don’t see Kay in nba but could get a very healthy contract in good euro league team.

Reply #762455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like we will be playing France for bronze

Reply #762465 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't think anyone can fault Kay tonight. How many offensive boards did he get? How many times was he inexplicably in the right place at the right time to put the ball in the hole? It was a superlative effort from Kay and he was one of our best on the day.

All of our players came up big for three and half quarters, but the experience and sheer talent of Spain was always lying in waiting, ready to boil over as soon as the opportunity arose. We failed to put our foot on their throat at key moments of the game and it cost us the game. Now, referee calls aside, and there were some head-scratchers, we had our chances multiple times and came up lacking.

As for Lemanis, I can't put that on Lemanis. This is largely the players. They looked scared out there when things got hot. They looked like they were truly haunted by Rio ghosts passed. Lemanis didn't miss sitters and didn't miss freethrows.

Regardless, if someone told me we were fight for bronze before this tournament with the way the Canada game looked, I would have been ecstatic. The bronze medal game is almost as important as the gold in the context of Australian basketball. Being the first team to medal isn't just a consolation, it's an achievement and verification of our place in the basketball world, and THAT goal still stands ready for the taking. I'm not going to bemoan what could have been when this team still has a piece of history to be made.

Reply #762472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Well said

Reply #762474 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Spot on, ME.

Though it will take an incredible effort to bounce back from the devastation - both mental and physical - of tonight's defeat and win a bronze. I've got so much admiration and respect for this group, but I fear we will be blown out on Sunday by whoever we play (which is looking like being France).

Reply #762475 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

We rebounded well from the humiliating Serbia loss in Rio to 'almost' win bronze last time. I expect that they should be able to come in with the right attitude to the next game.

Reply #762482 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Serbia game was over about two minutes in. Not the same situation at all.

Reply #762489 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I guess we will see. What will be will be in the end. Fourth wont be a result to sneeze at, but it wont be the result anyone necessarily wanted.

Reply #762491 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Everyone needs to calm down. The boomers were big underdogs in this match and they were for a reason, and it was the reason we lost.

Nope. The starting odds converted into percentage had ESP at 60% and AUS at 40%.

Reply #762504 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If I feel exhausted and gutted how must the players feel!

Tell me about it - I'm so fatigued right now from this crazy week.

But seriously the tournament format with a game every two days is fine up to a certain point but continuing on into the latter rounds seems excessive, especially considering travel between new host cities on top of it all.

Reply #762505 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Australia were underdogs but the manner that the loss came is backbreaking. Fronting up against France on Sunday will be tough for these guys. I really hope they find it in themselves to really fight for this, and I hope - for ONCE in Australian basketball fucking history - they're rewarded with something shiny.

Reply #762506 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

This Boomers team IS the best ever. Not the best talent nor deepest (Rio was better), but they have produced the best results. Even if they get blown out in the bronze medal game.

Even if they lost again, that's 6-2, the best record ever for a Boomers team in a major tournament. Have the Boomers even beaten European teams twice in a WC? In this WC, we are 3-1 with the only loss in 2OT versus Spain. So many people hold unreasonably high expectations of the Boomers. Even 4th is a massive achievement. If we grab that bronze, it deserves a parade, or at least widespread media praise, not that the Australian media ever gives the national basketball team any respect. It's understandable to be disappointed, but if you are visiting this forum you are likely to be enough of a diehard basketball fan that you should be able to appreciate the quality of basketball coming from this team.

Reply #762507 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

How is it that posters are criticising Kay after this game, of all games? There must be some serious selective memory and confirmation bias going on.

Kay has been playing better and better as the campaign has gone on.

Kay was the only player to play UP to the occasion.

Ingles went missing as a scoring threat. Baynes was kept quiet, getting no looks inside the 3pt line. Delly wasn't looking threatening except for some open looks from 3. Goulding was cold/off/rushed/pressured/psyched out. Mills was under immense pressure and needed 25 shots to get to his 34 points, which is still respectable, but he was our only reliable scorer. It was our garbage guys that kept us in the game by cleaning up on the boards -- Bogut with tip-ins and Kay with 7 o-boards. People complaining about Kay missing shots: he was 7/11 for 2s! That was from smart positioning, clever cuts, good rebounding position, knowing where to go. Lemanis was absolutely right to push him above Landale in the rotation. He had 16 and 11 against Spain FFS!

Raw athleticism can be valuable. It gets onto the highlight reel. But basketball still values smarts. Basketball IQ is extremely valuable. Frankly, there shouldn't be an argument any more about Kay -- he manages to put in good performances from his basketball smarts, even at this level.

Looking towards Tokyo, Kay has asserted himself as more of lock than any other Aussie 4-man, assuming we don't classify Simmons as a 4.

Reply #762508 | Report this post

Captain Obvious  
Years ago

A really tough loss, but in the end Spain deserved to win. They executed great offence after great offence, where we went stagnant.

Unfortunately, Lemanis chose to play 5 guys (plus one centre rotation) through the last quarter and both overtimes. During that period Kay was good on O boards, Bogut could score on tip ins only and Delay and Ingles were ZERO threat to score. Once Spain shut down Patty we had zero other scoring options.
I can understand why he stuck with the guys he did, but Lemanis needed to get some other scoring options in to the game sooner. It was clear Ingles was having a shocker, he needed to be taken out of the game.

Very tough and disappointing and unfortunately I can't see us beating France. The medal wait might have to be a bit longer.

Reply #762552 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Isaac, question below:

Long thread here too. 19th on the "most replies" sorted topics list. (Some of the longest threads are whole season state league/ old SEABL threads).

I noticed also that there were other WC 2019 threads with a lot of replies.

There has been debate about publicity/ broadcast/ public interest/ crowds/ YouTube hits/ twitter followers etc

Question to Isaac: what are the numbers like for subscription to the hoops site? I think most agree that posters here are more dedicated fans, not the casuals on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. Are there now more diehards who've joined the hoops community? We’re more likely to stick around than the casual fans, so an increase here would be a good sign for longer term improvement in fan base.

Reply #762560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Like the question, I think some the anti nbl players in the boomers post come from a few running numerous accounts.

Reply #762563 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Shattered.

Proud of this team, but just so disappointed right now.

Reply #762566 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not shattered before the tournament we would've taken making it to the bronze medal game that was always considered our best possible result. IMO, we were the worst team in the SF (we needed Baynes to go off 5/6 3pt to sneak past France) and the two best teams all tournament are now in the gold medal game. We didn't deserve silver.

It's going to be hard but we need to regroup and go hard one last time to try and create history by winning our first medal. I think France are likely to win this time as all of our offensive options outside of Mills have fallen away now that we've been heavily scouted but we really need to throw caution to the wind tomorrow night.

This team is probably our best chance yet to win a medal.

Reply #762572 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Apparently there have only been 19 double-doubles posted by Boomers players in WC/Olympic history. Kay's was the first to do it off the bench.

Reply #762576 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kay has seriously impressed me.

The guy goes from strength to strength.

He's a team first guy who plays smart. No wonder he was om a 27 game winning streak.

Reply #762577 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He isn't we lost three warm up games before the tournament and then lost last night too, that was just something that Rugby nuffy came up with and thought sounded good.

Aside from that Kay too has impressed me in this tournament doing all the little things well and I'm willing to admit I was wrong about Motum needing to be picked ahead of him. We have missed Motum's outside shooting though but likely wouldn't be as good with him in instead of Kay.

Reply #762578 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Warm up games shouldn't be counted.

Kay was certainly a huge part of Perth's success last season, and has impressed in his role with the Boomers.

Reply #762580 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He stepped up to international mode almost seamlessly. And if he can be as consistent with his 3 point shot with the Boomers as he has become in the NBL then his value goes up another level again.
3P% across his first 3 NBL seasons was ~ 31%. Last season was 43.6%. I want to see him letting it fly with confidence this season.

Reply #762582 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Kay has been great. I don't think anyone can fault Kay over Motum after this series. It was absolutely the right decision.

Reply #762583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Apparently there have only been 19 double-doubles posted by Boomers players in WC/Olympic history. Kay's was the first to do it off the bench."

Kay's was also the first ever double-double by a Boomer in a knockout or medal round game. Pretty impressive.

Reply #762589 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Kay was oh so close to a Triple Crown:

[X] NBL
[X] NZNBL
[ ] FIBA World Cup

Would've been an amazing 2019 for him. Well, it still is.

Reply #762641 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/iAcmyVbzq3A

"Spain Beats Australia in FIBA World Championships Semi Final 2019"
BBALLBREAKDOWN

Reply #762751 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Question to Isaac: what are the numbers like for subscription to the hoops site? I think most agree that posters here are more dedicated fans, not the casuals on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. Are there now more diehards who've joined the hoops community? We're more likely to stick around than the casual fans, so an increase here would be a good sign for longer term improvement in fan base.
I don't have time day to day to pay attention to formal subscriptions or anything like that. I do occasionally check site stats for visitorship and they are solid over the years. Given a lot of interest would've gone to Twitter (where there are more than casuals too), I'd guess combined interest would be higher. e.g., Hoops has at least stayed level or slightly higher while Twitter chatter has also grown. It's also hard to gauge because years back there was huge interest on here for Central ABL, school threads (until I blocked most schools), etc. International tournaments are always boom times here. Then we go to NBL and NBA. It might be that while there is a great option in r/NBA for NBA news/chat, there's less competition for Boomers-specific stuff.

I usually track pageviews. The record months were August 2015 (730k) and July 2015 (670k) - not sure what was on then as it wasn't a WC/Olympic year. Had 650k in April 2018, 600k in each of October and November 2018, 630k last month. September 2019 tracking to be 600k+ assuming the Blitz is remotely interesting.

Going by Analytics' report on New Users, August 2019 was the best month of the last 10 years. Aug 2009 was 16k. Aug 2019 was 30k.

Of the last six weeks, this Spain thread is the second most popular thread. SBL August and SBL off-season threads are 1st and 3rd. Boomers-France 4th.

Reply #763365 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would the uptick in mid 2015 coincide with Kestleman taking over the league?

Reply #763370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't appear to. Boomers games - tour and Oceania qualifying? Top threads by reply count for threads started during July-August 2015 are:

Boomers vs Tall Blacks, 15 Aug 2015
Hugh Greenwood quits Wildcats to pursue AFL career
Hawks to announce Kirk Penney signing Monday?
U17 Men playing now
U18 VC Boys
U16 National Champs Tasmania
European Tour: Boomers vs Lithuania
Live stream for Emu's v Turkey?
Delly and Cavs far apart on new deal
Big V Finals
Vic Metro National Results
Games 2 Boomers v Tall Blacks
Perth Wildcats secure Jawai
36ers communications are woeful
U17 Worlds Qualifiers
R22 PL: The Last Hurrah
Cambage chooses Music over Opals
Mornington possible No Big V teams
Opals-Japan Series
NBL television deal, sponsors close
36ers sign import combo guard Kenyon McNeail
Greenwood replacement options
Too rushed to count actual posts from those periods so there could be big ones from days in June.

Boomers, Greenwood quit Cats, Cambage did something - it's a Hoops perfect storm.

Reply #763371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754