Anonymous
Years ago

What is going on with USA?

Getting absolutely smoked by Serbia fighting for 6th place.

I feel sorry for them. I feel sorry for the players more than anything. They are the ones who put everything aside to represent the country while the others pulled out for superficial reasons.

All the while the dream team are getting absolutely ridiculed.

Topic #45883 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

To be fair they were handed way too short of a turnaround.

Reply #761945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are used to that kind of turn around in the NBA

Reply #761947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going with Serbia by default: we're going to run out of time if the refs need so long to "review" what was a pretty obvious call... and not even review half of the incident.

Reply #761950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say they are just deflated. They’re out anyway. They are copping a hiding from the media and they’ve given up their summer for this and 0 dollars.

All the while the guys who pulled out are kicking back and enjoying the show.

Reply #761951 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It would be hard to get up for the 7th game in 12 days in an essentially meaningless game as they've already qualified for the Olympics.

Reply #761952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have been reading Dave and Makur post on this forum, they think we are nba, can't lose.

Good fight back by them though.

Reply #761953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading all about this getting smoked and then see it is actually a 4 point game at half time.

Reply #761954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their Coach allows them to send a teams of "chumps". The superstars have all withdrawn.
Can't play WC? Sorry not elgible for the Olympics. Piss off.

Reply #761955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now the refs overturn Jokic's 3 pointer with insufficient evidence. At least it only took 5 minutes for them to make a mess of the review this time.

Reply #761960 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I hope the US wins, but not because I feel sorry for the players - I'd hate for someone as respected as Pop to finish his career as scapegoat for this debacle.

Reply #761962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

955, evidently they can't afford to take that approach. Hence the 5th/6th place finish.

Also you wouldn't make an exception for injured players? What about players on the cusp of injury after playing a full NBA season and finals? The line is drawn somewhere. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Reply #761963 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

For a team like the USA, playing another 2 games to determine whether they have failed badly, or failed miserably, is rather pointless.
They are out of medal contention, and now they just want to go home.

Reply #761965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought they would have aimed to salvage back some respect in this one. Seems they have checked out.

Reply #761966 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Team sport. Can't just throw guys together. Never works.

Reply #761967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah I have it on good authority from many months of reading boomers threads here that the best team you can get is by throwing together as many NBA guys as you can find

Reply #761968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I hope the US wins, but not because I feel sorry for the players - I'd hate for someone as respected as Pop to finish his career as scapegoat for this debacle."

Well, some responsibility should be assigned to him. He still had more talent than the other teams, but they didn't look like a cohesive team.

Reply #761969 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Don't know where all this left-field sympathy for Team USA has come from.

They've dominated for years, their roster has all NBA players and some good ones at that etc. Do they really need our sympathy?

I don't see it particularly extraordinary that they "put everything aside to represent the country" - representing your country is a privilege and an honour, not a 'sacrifice' (regardless of how big your NBA contract is).

Just my opinion, but out of all the teams in the WC, Team USA is the ones I have the smallest amount of sympathy for (although I agree that people shouldn't hold this against Pop).

Reply #761984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you didn't realise that once the Boomers beat the USA here the evidence that they were shit was there right in fromt of your nose.
The star players didnt want to represent their country in the WC's. Now the USA are humbled.
Make no mistake the Star's will all want to play in the Olympics and go for gold. Pathetic.

Reply #761985 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

This will lock in the World Cup year before Olympics now. FIBA wants to see different countries take gold.

Reply #761986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phrases that were left in the 20th century - "Dream Team", "World
(NBA) Champs"

Why are we still hearing these? Get over it...

Reply #761989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well, some responsibility should be assigned to him. He still had more talent than the other teams, but they didn't look like a cohesive team."

I Agree and Disagree, I agree they weren't cohesive and relied on single PNR actions or Iso ball to score most of the time.
I don't believe they had more talent than other teams, top 2 were certainly up there, but talent in FIBA ball is different to NBA talent. Bigs are more effective in FIBA, Passing well is really important, movement and reading off-ball actions is super important. US also didn't have the quality of shooters other teams did. Serbia are really good, underachieved IMO

Reply #761991 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

You can't blame Pop for players missing foul shots.

However, two areas which could be on Pop and Kerr are
- (on offense) that the US didn’t look to push the ball and use their athleticism to beat the defense, instead bogging down in half-court play which they weren’t suited to
- (on defense) that they didn’t defend more aggressively but stood back from players too much, especially dribblers coming down the court.

Reply #761995 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on, Hoopie.

Reply #761999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Team sport. Can't just throw guys together. Never works.
I think you can get away with it if you have supreme talent like the original Dream Team or the best available right now. And you can get close with decent talent, which they kinda did here, but it's certainly not an easy thing. And from the patches of them I watched, it didn't always look like there was a strategy beyond ad-hoc play. Which is odd with two seriously smart coaches.

Is one problem that they didn't have a clear top dog in the pecking order out of Mitchell or Walker? Or no dedicated distributor? They missed Smart most games who'd be the bulldog of the team.

Reply #762004 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"Nah I have it on good authority from many months of reading boomers threads here that the best team you can get is by throwing together as many NBA guys as you can find"

And that includes guys who may or may not make the NBA one day but someone said they will, and possibly guys who have watched an NBA game on ESPN once. All better options than solid role players from the NBL....apparently

Reply #762006 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Is one problem that they didn't have a clear top dog in the pecking order out of Mitchell or Walker?"

I think that's a good point. No reason why Kemba couldn't be dominating the way Patty does. The difference is Patty knows he's our main man.

Reply #762007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine that, a team of 6 NBL players finishing possibly at least 4 places higher than a team of full time NBA players!! Drug test the NBLers

Reply #762008 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I think you can get away with it if you have supreme talent like the original Dream Team or the best available right now."

Maybe. The problem with this USA team isn't talent, it's the fact they have little combined FIBA experienced and haven't played much together.

After the poor showings in 2002 and 2004, the USA under Colangelo identified they needed to build a national 'team', not just bring in talent.

Over that time they not only got consistency in the team that went to tournaments, but planned ahead in terms of getting younger stars into the training camps to learn what it's about and get used to playing in the system.

That approach literally made them unbeatable, even in 2010 and 2014 when they didn't have close to their best line-ups.

This time around they have a new coach and very few guys who were in the previous program - it's literally ground zero and as such the odds were stacked against them.

Reply #762012 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

I just read this post from yesterday.
"All the while the guys who pulled out are kicking back and enjoying the show."

I can see where some, if not all of them will feel some responsibility for the bashing USA basketball is taking from this WC.

I am sure that there will be ramifications over this in American basketball. They will all feel this humiliation and the millions of fans, who, like us, know nothing about what really happens in these selection processes will be furious as well as humiliated. I can also imagine that their peers may have lost some respect for those who quit the team. Look at how we have reacted to the Boomers ins and outs. And, how so many people are down on Simmons for not going. And we're winning!

As for Pop, not only did he give up/sacrifice himself, as did all other participants, he, more than any other NBA coach allowed, probably encouraged, 4 of his team to represent at the WCs. Wonder how many others did the same to get the "super" stars to participate (I separated "super" from stars on purpose). In that vein, I wonder how Brett Brown would answer such a question regarding our Ben!

Extension to Main Theme.

Could this tragic event (not being number 1 is bad eneough, playing for 7th or 8th is tragic) prompt some changes in both the NBA and FIBA.

Much has been said about the change in scheduling from last year to this, pre- Olympic year. Possibly had an influence on whether super and mega stars wanted to go to both and as we now know, lots chose "No".

Had the choice been now or in 2 years, many may have said "Yes"' simply because that extra year may have made a difference with their own selection chances. Purely because of age, LeBron may be a good example. 2 years from now and he's probably fighting for his spot against Zion(?), at least contesting the starting role. Those of you who know the NBA will be able to add lots of other names. Next year's Olympics may be his last chance to 1, represent his beloved USA or 2, go out with a bang!

Also, I have already heard/read how FIBA are hurting over being relegated to 2nd top status behind the Olympics. Whether that's true or not is unimportant.
Returning the WCs to its previous schedule would at least make both comps joint No 1s, perhaps. I'd be happy with that.

In fact this WC may justify FIBA claiming top spot stating that not even Olympic's basketball will be better than this.

Olympics are just special!

Reply #762022 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Also, I have already heard/read how FIBA are hurting over being relegated to 2nd top status behind the Olympics. Whether that's true or not is unimportant."

FIBA embraces that the Olympics is the most iconic basketball event on the planet, afterall, along with athletics, basketball is the most viewed sport at the world's most viewed sporting event. That's a huge win for the sport.

Couple that with the huge growth in reach the WC has experienced across the past two tournaments, and the huge reach of the H&A qualifiers where there used to be no exposure for international basketball at most of those times, and international hoops is in a very good spot ATM.

Reply #762025 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Paul, does that mean that you prefer 1 year out from Olympics to 2 + 2, as was?

Reply #762035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba shot themselves in the foot with regards to Team USA, guys aren't going to play 82 regular season games, then potentially some 20 odd playoff games, then spend all summer with the national team for exhibitions and the world cup, then play 82 games for regular season, then potentially 20 odd play off games then the olympics, then another full season.

They'd have no break over almost 3 years, when you're looking at the top NBA players as well guys like Curry and LeBron have played an extra season of games (82) in the past four years alone by way of their playoff participation its no wonder why they won't commit to play for the national team.

Fiba need to have next world cup in 2022 or else they'll be faced with same availability issues. I'm also willing to bet that its also hurt viewership numbers and bums on seats not having a few top NBA guys playing to draw eyes to the product. I've watched games where the venues are 3/4 empty.

Reply #762042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are not the Olympics and the nba season clashing next year, euro as well ????

Reply #762067 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

No

Reply #762068 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Paul, does that mean that you prefer 1 year out from Olympics to 2 + 2, as was?"

Both ways have merit. The commercial success of the WC is what will determine if they stick with the current set up, not whether the US had their best team or not. In fact, the USA losing has probably generated more interest in the tournament than if they had dominated.

I think what's crucial is the WC is the qualifier for the Olympics, because that's the carrot for the best players to want to play. I think you'll find the USA sending a stronger team next WC because they'll know they could easily have been in Olympic qualifiers next year had Brazil not had a really bad day against the Czechs.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the tournament earlier in the year next time though, so players can get a break afterwards before heading to training camps.

Reply #762081 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754