Anonymous
Years ago

Future Australian Bigs?

I'm not going to pretend to know who will be available for 2020 or who Lemanis will pick but post 2020, who are Australia's best prospects for the 4-5 spots? Bogut can't have too many campaigns left in him after Tokyo leaving just Baynes.

Maker - seems the obvious pick of the lot
Bolden/Simmons - can they commit? will they get another call up? would you even bring Simmons in to play the 4?
Landale/Motum - The euro's with no defence or strength?
Kay - The proven hustle guy, earnt his spot with hard work but is that enough moving forwards? can someone with better size put in as much work?
Humphries/Brandt - The NBL ROTY's with true size and strength. Both slow and with no 3 point shot while offering nothing elite, can either replace Bogut?
Froling's (H. and S.) - bit young and only NBL bench quality right now but better rounded then any other player on this list, could either step up and pinch a spot?

Topic #45885 | Report this topic

Shagnasty  
Years ago

I'm not sure Bolden will make the squad for 2020. I think because he shafted the team, and the fact that they have done so well with their bigs in China, he might have burnt his bridges. Maybe if he has a massive year in Philly, that'll change things.

Listening to Shane Heal commentating in one of the early games, he mentioned how Jonah mighn't get in. I'm thinking he's had some inside intel as hes probably close with Coach Andre and Luc......

Reply #762046 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Other current Pro's you may have missed;
- Mathiang
- Lual-Acquil
- What’s Dane Pineau/Will Magnay/Jordan Hunter’s ceiling looking like?

Some Aussie Bigs in College right now off the top of my head:
- Gorjok Gak
- Jacob Epperson
- Jock Perry

Reply #762049 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I doubt both Simmons and Bolden will be in Tokyo 2020. They have had zero interest regarding the Boomers on their twitter accounts. I have a gut feeling they have burnt their bridges.

Reply #762050 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Baynes will be 36 in 2023 so no guarantee he will be around.

One name not yet mentioned in this thread is Makur Maker ( Thon's cousin not the hoops troll)

For the 5 spot there isn't a clear answer yet. Can't imagine the Boomers without the current core.

Reply #762053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, I did forget about Mathiang and Lual-Acquil. Also Reath. Where do these guys fit in the scheme of things? Could they be better picks than the slow moving Brandt, the disinterested Bolden, the undersized Kay or the NBL rookie Froling?

Also more interested in prospects for after 2020, not the team picked for next year. But really, anything that opens discussion

Reply #762054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I quite like the brothers Froling and can see them around the team in the future along with Landale

Reply #762055 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Can everyone stop pretending a) Simmon's wouldn't have a spot in the team, b) we won't go chasing him again because he pulled out, and c) any bridges are burnt.

One of the best players in the world, and so far, despite what everyone is pushing, he really hasn't done anything wrong.

Reply #762056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We'v had 5s that are more than competent on the international level for generations now, longely, bradtke to Anstey, Anderson to Bogut, Baynes. It’s been a position of strength.

There appears to be a gap forming between Bogut and Baynes and whoever comes next. The guys that should be emerging right now don’t look like they are of that same standard.

Reply #762057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure if BA sack lemannis now both Simmons and Bolden will be certainties for Tokyo 2920

Reply #762063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

* Tokyo 2020

Reply #762064 | Report this post

Hours before an undefeated team competes in a world cup semi final seems the most unlikely of times to sack a coach so I think you can throw that hypothetical straight back into whatever bin you found it in.
It is September 2019 and the Boomers are kicking butt in China. You could say it is one of Australia's best spring rolls.

Reply #762066 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Baynes' rise come about quite quickly? Could see something similar with one of the others.

I like Froling and think we'll know a bit more about his ceiling after this season. Don't know much about the rest. Pineau's ceiling looks like NBL role player?

Reply #762085 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Baynes and Ingles took long winding or unorthodox routes to the top, and got there through gradual improvement, smarts and perhaps right-place-right-time.

But, when they were 21 or 23, who would've guessed what they would go on to achieve?

So, who knows where Humphries will end up, or Acuil, or Landale?

Reply #762089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pineau is nbl1 level, anyone can write name on a forum but I'm certain after a year in Sydney if Bogut thought he was any good he’d still be there. There is a lot water to pass under the bridge yet so after next years Olympics we should see a clearer picture to the future when the current players retire. Bogut is irreplaceable.

Reply #762091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Pineau's ceiling looks like NBL role player?"
Rough! But yeah, the reason why him and Magnay were weren't on the list. unfortunately I suspect they will be following in the footsteps of Burston/Hodgson/Jervis (not that that's a bad thing)

"Bogut is irreplaceable"
I have been wondering about this. Look at the other bigs Lemanis picks and the way international basketball seems to be going. Every other big can hit the 3 ball (Bairstow/Anderson/Baynes/Kay/Bolden/Landale). Bogut is too slow to close out and doesn't stretch the floor, is his elite defence/rebounding/passing the only thing keeping him in the team? will Lemanis look for shooting bigs to take Boguts spot in the future?

Reply #762096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Can't imagine the Boomers without the current core."

Cause this is a golden generation, needing to make hay while the sun shines

Reply #762099 | Report this post

Kai  
Years ago

Larry Sengstock still around?

Reply #762101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut was the big name in Australian basketball when this side came together, it's his leadership and play Australia first why he’s irreplaceable, injuries crueled him when he was younger but he’s been massive.

Reply #762105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" doubt both Simmons and Bolden will be in Tokyo 2020. They have had zero interest regarding the Boomers on their twitter accounts."
There you have it. FACT!

Reply #762116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754