PyroCross
Years ago

C.Webster to Turkey? Breakers say no

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/115802378/breakers-owner-matt-walsh-says-no-to-corey-webster-release-request-we-need-him

Rather big NZ basketball story broke yesterday where a source from Webster said that Walsh flat-out told Webster 'he was the worst guard in the league', demanding a release on the back of FIBA WC. Not sure who is right in this case - Matt Walsh certainly gave his account to NZ radio - but in terms of the ownership narrative, it sure ain't helping.

Its just going to be a tense scenario where Henry was a former Israeli MVP and Corey is balling. They both want to play the 2. Will they get enough minutes?

Topic #45894 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can understand Walsh's angle, to be honest. Rosters are pretty much finalised at this point, would leave a hole for them.

Reply #762581 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Corey's manager really should explain the concept of contracts to him at some point. Or maybe his manager needs the explanation as well.

Reply #762584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ need a second team, to much talent

Reply #762585 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I remember him signing with Perth and backing out of that too.

Reply #762586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth got Cotton back and encouraged Webster to head overseas.

Reply #762592 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Corey Webster has always been a punk. There was allegedly a big issue between he and his Breakers teammates in his first stint with the team, signing with Perth and then backing out of to take a contract in Europe, then I think there were issues around his contract with a team in China before coming back to the Breakers last season on a big 3 year deal and subsequently stinking up the joint.

He was probably the biggest reason why that Breakers team underachieved last season and now that he pulls a good tournament out of his arse he wants to bail on them again for a bigger pay day in Europe despite having 2 years to go on his contract with them.

If I were the Breakers I would just tear up the contract and tell him to piss off and never come back.

Reply #762593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wellington team for sure but did Walsh only buy nz for the whole market?

Reply #762608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Walsh has a point. Webster sucked big time. I wonder if that too led to Braswell falling out of favour. Braswell prioritised Webster's re-signing and promoting Ili to start.

Reply #762618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't agree with all the hate. You can tell the people on here who only see the negative. If any of you had ever played you would know how much it sucks to play and have owners who degrade you and beat you verbally when you are down. Corey did not play well last year that is fair. However in a career as long as his you will have down years. Walsh is a cancer. Corey has a limited time to get paid. The Breakers are a mess. Walsh has thrown Mika, Ili, Dillon, Braswell, Pledger out. That is his prerogative. He said much worse to Corey last year. He tried numerous times to get him to walk out as he forced Ili to. They will not play Corey and have him engaged as he is with Henare. If I am Corey I just walk and have Darussafaka pay his $175k contract out. Why do fans side with the teams and the owners? It’s because you can relate to them and the envy of the players is totally real. Corey I hope you dip for Istanbul. Leave this part of the world and keep enjoying your basketball. I love watching you play bro. Kia Kaha.

Reply #762621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why do fans side with the teams and the owners?"

No one is doing that, just saying Webster signed a contract so should abide by it.

Reply #762625 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

My default was to side with Webster during the Perth episode. It wasn't a negative against Perth, it is just more probable that Perth wanted him out than he wanted out.

Now that this has occurred I concede I was wrong those years back.

Having said all of this, this has a chance to derail the Breakers season if Webster goes into his shell (again).

Do you really want someone there that does not want to be there?

I know Webster'esque talent does not grow on trees but there is an argument for letting someone driven and hungry albeit less talented to take the roster/his minutes.

Reply #762632 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I've had my issues with Corey as a player over the years but I've slowly warmed to him and now I love seeing him playing, I think he is an asset for the NBL and him in beast mode even against NBA talent is a bloody good show all in itself.

I'm not going to comment in contracts as it feels like Walsh does what he wants and abides by what he chooses to do with contracts (Braswell situation was utter bullshit) and whilst I don't care if he leaves the Breakers I'd love to see him play for Cairns or similar as they need star power and I don't want to miss out on watching this guy play.

Good Luck Corey

Reply #762633 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

He also pointed out that the Breakers had invested in a buyout of their own to sign Webster to a three-year deal before last season as he had been previously contracted to the Perth Wildcats (but had never appeared for them).

OMG NZ paid Perth for Corey Webster 2018/29? That's a heist.

Reply #762635 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Corey hasn't been a good NBL player for a while.

Let him go. Use the cash for someone else.

Reply #762651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you figure Perth paid webster?

Reply #762652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

621, half of what you said makes absolutely no sense.

Reply #762661 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How do you figure Perth paid webster?

He was quoting what Matt Walsh said to the media.

Reply #762662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili was forced out? Or did he walk because he knew he didn't play well and his minutes would be limited with Hampton?

On the other hand, maybe Walsh ripped into him too. He lacked confidence last year. Playing for the Tall Blacks he was massive at times. A steal for United to have someone like him playing spot minutes.

Reply #762666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know one team on the planet that would release their best domestic player for free on the eve of the season starting, especially coming off a World Cup like that. If Darussafaka wanted Webster that bad, they would offer to pay a buyout. Unfortunately they won't offer one Turkish Lira, which tells you exactly how much they actually value him (unlike the Breakers who paid a buyout to secure his services).

Webster wanted the security of a three year contract, but now that similar (on a per month basis) money is being offered in Europe he wants to terminate his deal. That's not how contracts work. If he wants out, he should have offered a substantial buyout to compensate the Breakers, because certainly a similar caliber player isn't available to them in mid-September.

Reply #762673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ili asked to get out of his contract. He saw how badly he was outplayed by Weeks last year (despite getting an unlimited leash to stink from Braswell) and saw the writing on the wall when Hampton was signed. The Breakers said no initially, but eventually acquiesced when Melbourne offered to pay a buyout to release him from his contract. It's a very different animal asking out of your contract in May (and having a club pay for the honours) and doing so in mid-September.

Webster's shooting makes him much easier to build around anyway in a backup role, as opposed to Ili who made under 25 percent of his 3s last year

Reply #762674 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Fancy calling Walsh the cancer. Better lay off the Kiwi Koolaid mate.

Reply #762675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matt Walsh clears the air: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/basketball/news/article.cfm?c_id=21&objectid=12267700

Reply #762700 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That article doesn't mention the Webster situation at all.

Reply #762701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""Just because we want to be commercially viable - which they never were before – doesn't mean we're not the culture club; but we need to be able to sustain this business.""

That's fair enough, I reckon. You put your money into a business, you want to make a return on it.

Reply #762703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Webster doesn't know for sure if he’ll play for the Breakers this season: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/115832591/corey-webster-i-dont-know-if-ill-suit-up-for-the-nz-breakers-this-nbl-season

Reply #763239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:47 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754