Anonymous
Years ago

The Sobey Elephant

So when do we start to talk about a couple of the giant Elephants sitting in the corner??

Sobey has ambitions of playing for the Boomers (A team). He can't make it as a SG, so his ambition is to transition to a PG.

Problem is he showed last season that he's not even good enough to run the point in the NBL. Obviously wasn't going to continue at the point for Adelaide, so he makes a deal with Lemanis. "Come play for the Bullets, I'll let you be PG, AND I'll reward you with a Boomers singlet."
Presumably Gliddon was already on the same deal.

The consolation prize for his former lovechild Cadee? A spot in the Boomers squad.

So our entire contingent of guys trying out for backup roles, is comprised of the worst PGs in the NBL, who are only there because Lemanis owes them a favour. In what universe is that acceptable?

Next, why isn't our best player, and potentially the best player Australia has produced, even in the team?
I realise the kid has an ego but hes hardly alone in that. Does he expect to be treated like a star, and to be coddled by Lemanis? Well if that's what it takes.
Im all for players being humble and wanting to sacrifice for the team, but theres obviously a clique of senior players who have been together for several tournaments and perhaps he doesnt feel like paying homage.
This is a kid who has teams, sponsors, and god knows who else lining up to kiss his ring and offer him millions. Maybe the Boomers need to get with the times?

Topic #45897 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

some morons here even said Simmons should not even be a lock for Tokyo Olympics. These people can F*** themselves.

Reply #762654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Vozzo wasn't available because he's on holidays. Not sure he's best player ever though, still think Gaze has that title.

Reply #762660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of hypotheticals, guess-work, and plain BS in that post. Zero insight or substance. Disappointed I took the time to read it, let alone respond.

Reply #762663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey wouldn't even be in the conversation if simmons and Exum were available. We had no other options bar mccarron and Cadee. None of them were getting many minutes.
Sobey is now strictly a boomers fill in when we play friendlies during a nba or euro season.

88 Mills
90 Dellavedova
92 Cotton
95 Exum
96 Simmons
98 Mcdowell-White
02 Wigness
02 Giddey

Even when mills and Delly finish up in the next cycle, we have plenty of talent
Sobey has no chance next year or beyond the next cycle.

Reply #762665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With fiba rules unless simmons starts shooting threes we are better without him because if we play spain for instance. Marc Gasol will take him and just live in the key on defense as a help man.

Reply #762667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon Simmons could play some spot minutes to give Kay a rest

Reply #762669 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Okay, so firstly you assume the Bullets deal was also a Boomers deal, rather than acknowledge that our options are limited at guard and Sobey probably was the best age-appropriate option we have that was available.

Then you go and ask "why isn't Ben in the team?" As if you'd been sleeping for the past 6 months when Ben made his decision and were oblivious to why, preferring to blame it somehow on Lemanis rather than see that Ben is all about himself, which he has always shown.

And then you say people who say Ben shouldn't be a lock can "go fuck themselves", showing absolutely no understanding of how the international game has proven to stimy players of his type (see Giannis).

Yep. Thanks for the masterclass of idiocy, Anonymous.

Reply #762682 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Sobey led the league in assists yeah?

Reply #762730 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A handy rule of thumb is that if a thread's first 7 posts are anonymous, don't bother trying to find any sense in it

Reply #762736 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey led the league in assists yeah?

Correct which only really tells you the ball was in his hands a lot and his teammates were effective enough to score from his passes.

The reality last season was he often over dribbled, was caught in two minds about when to pass and when to try and score himself and his decision making late in games was terrible.

He was a great player for us in the past as a scorer & slasher but last season exclusively as a PG he was disappointing. Overall I'm a bit sad to see him go but as he only wants to play as a PG in future I would prefer he played on another team.

Reply #762739 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Correct which only really tells you the ball was in his hands a lot and his teammates were effective enough to score from his passes."

OMG! So Ware and Randle etc didn't have a lot of the ball in their hands and teammates who were effective at scoring from their passes? Please.

"his decision making late in games was terrible."

This I agree with, and this is where most of the over-dribbling happened. It was just a case of inexperience as a down-the-stretch playmaker. In reality, the Sixers should have had the ball in other hands IMO.

Overall, Sobey did a good job as a PG on a team that performed well when Moore was fit and firing and struggled without him. Sobey's defence was very good overall on many of the best players in the competition and he did a good job of keying Adelaide's game style at both ends.

Where he fell down was where he was required to be the man, he neither had the experience or the variety of offensive moves to carry that load.

Reply #762744 | Report this post

Perfwerld  
Years ago

Anon that thinks Gasol will just sit in the key on Simmons you are on crack! I'm so sick of seeing everyone say that Australia is better off without him. He is the best player we've ever produced and its not close. Don't get me started on the Gaze comparison. Gaze sat on the bench in the NBA for a year and collected a ring, Simmons is a borderline all star after two years and he's not even near his peak yet.

Reply #762746 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gaze sitting on the bench in the NBA is completely irrelevant to what he produced in international basketball. This is a guy who averaged 24ppg against Team USA with close to their best team, he is one of the greatest scorers the world has seen.

Regardless of the needless comparison, Simmons is going to be a superstar for Australia, his ability to play all parts of the game, spark transition, make teammates better, finish for himself etc is going to be so hard to stop, especially if we have good shooters around him like Broekhoff and Landale.

I can't wait to see him play for Australia, he is the difference maker that will get us gold next year.

Reply #762748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perfwerld, you didn't see Bogut play before he got hurt, very hard to compare players anyway but Bogut didn’t go number one for nothing and he was very athletic younger and offensively fantastic. Simmons has still got the wheel barrow in front of him.

Reply #762749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait to see him play for Australia, he is the difference maker that will get us gold next year."

IF USA brings their A team, no on is getting within 20 points

Reply #762750 | Report this post

perfwerld  
Years ago

I watched the bucks probably more than you did. I saw that sickening fall that shattered Boguts elbow and yeah he would've been an allstar if that hadn't have happened but it did.

Thats like saying you didn't see me in u16s before I started smoking durries and drinking piss, I could've been anything as my mum told me.

Reply #762752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Gliddon and Barlow. WTF is the point of selecting them if they don't play.

Reply #762772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't hate on guys who haven’t had a chance to play. Those trashing Sobey, Gliddon and Barlow are truly idiots. These guys are lucky to play 40 seconds a game. We don’t know what their input would’ve been if they had minutes.

Respect them for representing their country and getting behind the team even though they don’t get the playing time. They’ve all been supportive of the team and very vocal on social media.

Look at some other Australian players/ex players and not a peep. More support for Lamborghini than their country.

Reply #762785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Okay, so firstly you assume the Bullets deal was also a Boomers deal"
You would be the only person in Australia that doesn't think that.
"Sobey probably was the best age-appropriate option we have that was available"
Bullshit. Now would you like to try and explain Caddee?
"Then you go and ask "why isn't Ben in the team?" As if you'd been sleeping for the past 6 months when Ben made his decision and were oblivious to why, preferring to blame it somehow on Lemanis rather than see that Ben is all about himself, which he has always shown."
Yeah ok I get it - youre a moron. - You just proved my point.
Sobey and Cadee get in because theyre willing to suck Lemanis's dick. Simmons wont so hes out. What a great way to pick a team

Reply #762915 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You are without a doubt the dumbest poster on this forum.

Reply #762919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Paul, you admit Sobey was terrible but basically ok for a 2nd rate NBL team that didn't make the finals and didnt have any other choice? I agree. So what about that earns him a Boomers role?
And if you cant wait to see Simmons play for us and Simmons wont play for Lemanis - then I think the answer is obvious.

Reply #762922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So our best WC team ever still fails to win a medal even after the USA bombs out. Lemanis once again fails totally with eog in two crucial games. Fatigue kills us again because Lemanis filled the squad with his bumchums. Also his great plan to combat Euroball failed miserably.
so tell me - did Lemanis do any better any other NBL coach would have done?

Reply #762925 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh if we are doing derp posts in here:
Lemanis is clearly, by a significant margin, a better coach that Gregg Popovich

Reply #762929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has done better than anyone before him. Anyone say such and such should have coached and would've got us a medal is only guessing, no fucking idea really. We were one free throw miss from the gold medal game. Such is life.

Reply #762934 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Simmons wont play for Lemanis[citation needed]
FTFY.

Reply #762943 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Not sure what the 'Sobey elephant' means but the Boomers were always one and a half to two players short of a serious medal...swap out Gliddon and Sobey for Broekoff and Exum/Simmons and we have gold...oh well maybe next time!!

Reply #762961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a toss of a thread this is! Straight stupidity to even bother starting such a ridiculous thread.

Reply #762962 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So Paul, you admit Sobey was terrible but basically ok for a 2nd rate NBL team"

I pity you if that's your level of reading comprehension anon.

Reply #762964 | Report this post

pigssy  
Years ago

sobey, kay, glddon, barlow all suck. There is no room for these nbl journeymen if we want to medal.

Reply #762980 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Hi Dave.

Reply #762982 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Not so sure you can say Kay sucked, but what it did show was if we upgraded (on skill/size/athleticism) in that position we would win most games...

Reply #762986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kay is too slow, lacks size and athleticism, he sucks. Give me a Bolden or Adel any day.

Reply #762988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awesome call Dave. Bolden was in the 12 and ended up giving us zero points and zero boards in zero minutes. You seem really switched on.

Reply #762995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you get off the Adel wagon, he's done f.a.

Reply #762998 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OP is unhinged.

Next, why isn't our best player, and potentially the best player Australia has produced, even in the team?
Because he's getting paid insane amounts of money to be fit for a title run during a period which his team has a window. In fact, they are title favourites going by one measure.

Wait, maybe LeBron didn't play because Pop is obsessed with Derrick White?!

Reply #763077 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Wait, maybe LeBron didn't play because Pop is obsessed with Derrick White?!"

Great call! Maybe White only signed with the Spurs because he was guaranteed a Team USA spot? At the end of the day, do you think Luc Longley would stand for someone who didn't deserve to be there being picked? No way in the world.

Reply #763082 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"A handy rule of thumb is that if a thread's first 7 posts are anonymous, don't bother trying to find any sense in it"

True.

Reply #763107 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Never seen so much hate on a person that has basically grinded his whole life to get to this position. Sounds like a bunch of jealous individuals.

Reply #763122 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Never seen so much hate on a person that has basically grinded his whole life to get to this position. Sounds like a bunch of jealous individuals.
Wait, are we talking about Sobey? Or Lemanis, Cadee, Heal, Wright, Teys, etc?

Reply #763125 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey & Lemanis...

We critique people that have worked hard to where they are now. A couple of us are average joes so I would say congratulate people as well as a few critiques a long the way. All these forums promote 'hate' 90% of the time!

Reply #763149 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Wait, are we talking about Sobey? Or Lemanis, Cadee, Heal, Wright, Teys, etc?"

Cecil Exum.

Reply #763152 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Firstly, nobody in their right mind could seriously defend the selection of Sobey, or the inclusion of Spuddee in the squad.

Next, before we had even lost, people were already talking about how we're going to be magically better in Tokyo.
The same thing they said before this WC, and before Rio, etc, etc.
Everytime its the same story "this is the best squad ever, we're going to medal, this is our best chance."
Yet, the result is the same.

So what do we change?

Reply #763159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the self-proclaimed experts who defended Lemanis have finally been outed as idiots.
Despite all the protests and claims in the WC threads, they have now finally admitted the truth. Simmons, Bolden, and probably others didn't play because of Lemanis.
The sad but simple fact is that if Simmons had played, we would have won at least a silver medal. Think on that whilst "cuddling" your Andre doll.
I'm not necessarily sold on Bolden, but he would have been a huge improvement on Barlow.
And what about Broekhoff? A professional basketballer who chose to help look after his 2 month older daughter, rather than play for Lemanis.

Obviously if they do respond to this thread they will once again deny it had anything to do with their hero Andre, then jump right into the Brown thread and once again accuse Simmons and Bolden of conspiring against him.

Reply #778008 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon:

"All the self-proclaimed experts who defended Lemanis have finally been outed as idiots."

I neither defend nor attack Lemanis. He achieved more than any previous Boomers coach. But he never delivered that elusive medal, and wasn't able to get all the NBA based players on board.

So...

All the self-proclaimed experts who attacked Lemanis have finally been outed as geniuses.

I think I’ll wait for Tokyo Olympics and see if Boomers medal. If they don’t medal, does it mean that a Lemanis should have remained? I don’t think so, and we need to try something different.

Australia will need great coaching, all players available, and a bit of luck during the tournament to medal.

How many countries have ever medaled in Olympics basketball (say post 1972, or after it started to get a bit serious)?

How many medalists have had a population as small as Australia?

How many medalists with such a small population only play basketball as a secondary sport (rules out Serbia)?

Considering all the above, Boomers have historically over-achieved, even Rio was no worse than par, definitely not an under-achievement.

Reply #778017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are an idiot, take the hate glasses off. Mills makes a free throw or Bogut gets the call as he should have we would have that medal.

Reply #778072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dipshit
Simmons plays and we wouldn't have been relying on the refs or freethrows.

I would go so far as to say that had Simmons played, instead of anyone of Andre's boy-toys, Boomers would have won Gold.

Reply #778152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Considering all the above, Boomers have historically over-achieved, even Rio was no worse than par, definitely not an under-achievement."

You could hardly be more wrong.

Do you know why Australia is such a powerhouse in world swimming?
First off because we all live on the coast and so grow up learning to swim.
Second of all because for most of the time its hot enough to swim outside.
And thirdly because Africans are too poor to build swimming pools.
So it doesn't really matter whether we win more medals than Serbia or Nigeria.

The Best Lemanis has ever achieved, with a dozen NBA players at his disposal, is 4th. Hurley and Barnes managed that with none.

"Boomers have historically over-achieved"

err no, we have the worst Olympic Medal record in the world. 14 appearances without a medal

We can only hope that Brown has enough time to clean up Lemanis' mess, before Tokyo

Reply #778155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A dozen nba players.

Name them, don't shy away like you always do. In case you are a little simple that’s 12.

Reply #778184 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's worth mentioning that our "horrible" Olympic record is in large part due to how easy it is for us to qualify.

Reply #778193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Andre Fan Boys just cant let it go.

I think more than anything, it was the selections of Caddee, Sobey, and Gliddon that brought him down. That comes down to Andre lifting his middle finger to BA and the whole Australian Basketball community.

Unless we read about in some "magazine" interview in 20 years time, we will probably never know exactly what transpired Between Lemanis and all the players he alienated. It was probably bad, and the preponderance of evidence was probably damming, but he might still have survived if not for those three scrubs.

Even if a Simmons says to BA "the coach is an arrogant cocksucker who plays favourites like he's coaching his son's U12 team" are they going to believe it? And are they going to believe its bad enough to warrant sacking the coach a few months out from Olympic Preparation? But then you look at the way he used BA's National Team to hand out rewards to his little helpers, and suddenly it's hard to deny the allegations.

But thats okay, keep defending him. Keep blaming his sacking on Bolden and Simmons

Reply #778480 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

So if you are mad at Lemonis for picking a couple of his guys why aren't you mad at Brown for picking Simmons and Bolden. Going to be mad at somebody be mad at Patty Mills for missing a free throw. He's the one that cost them the medal. Or maybe Andrew Bogut for pissing off all of China and their referees.

Reply #778486 | Report this post

Anon is 100% right. Great posts mate. Andre cost us the best chance we may ever get at a gold. Being satisfied with fourths with this level of talent at our disposal isn't acceptable. His 100% right in the fact sobey Barlow and gliddon had no business being there. Is it worth mentioning he didn’t even have Creek in the initial squad. What a ridiculous call that was. He certainly plays favourites as you can see by Daniel Johnson never getting a look in ever. Only been the best big man in the comp the past five years

Reply #778518 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

His 100% right in the fact sobey Barlow and gliddon had no business being there.
Who would you have replaced them with?

Is it worth mentioning he didn't even have Creek in the initial squad. What a ridiculous call that was.
Without ever getting a chance to see Cooks play in that team, we cannot possibly declare it ridiculous.

He certainly plays favourites as you can see by Daniel Johnson never getting a look in ever.
Johnson was playing for the Boomers this time last year.

Only been the best big man in the comp the past five years
No.

Reply #778561 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754