Anonymous
Years ago

2022 Commonwealth games basketball

Basketball will be part of 2022 comm games and fits in well this time running from late July to Early August.

The level of competition will clearly be inferior to what we see in Olympics or World Cup.
Won't see NBA level guys there.

Leading to 2023/24 Worlds/Olympics would this be the best time to blood more up and coming youngsters such as Froling brothers, Grida, Wigness, Giddey etc.

Get them playing in boomers to get them familiar with each other.
Get guys like Adel and Humphries playing perhaps.

Thoughts....

Topic #45901 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Mentioning the Commonwealth Games at a time like this has made me vomit in my mouth.

Reply #762952 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Best. Thread. Ever.

Reply #762955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yuck

Reply #762957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's nice.
You are on the internet quite a bit aren't you lol.

I see the OP point. Go with youth, the only competition is NZ.

Reply #762958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith ya dickhead how are you?

Reply #762959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm #958 I was talking to Perthworld who posts too much. Has no friends lol.

Reply #762960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

High possibility no 5v5 at Comms. Only 3v3

Reply #762966 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

3x3 would be perfect for Commonwealth Games.

Reply #762967 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I think we should focus on the Commonwealth Games basketball comp exclusively now. No monkeys on the back and heartbreak to deal with!

Reply #762976 | Report this post

Roofman  
Years ago

If I am correct, Australia will be a guest nation in basketball at the 2022 Asian Games also. If I can say, I hate the jingoism of these tournaments like most people, but these do help build chemistry, and at very worse are an additional training camp for the team- the qualifiers, combined with the Comm games and FIBA Asia Cup unearthed Kay and Creek at worst, so people who say these tournaments have no purpose clearly have no idea. Fwiw, Argentina sent nearly everyone from this team to the Pan- American games, perhaps Simmons and Bolden might like to commit themselves to a NT program rather than simply show up for the big events and whine because they have to play a role and everything isn't geared to them despite having David Patrick and an enhanced collective bargaining agreement on the table, which while not NBA terms and conditions, is better than Lithuania by comparison.

Reply #762977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if we finished 4th at the comm games. Beaten by Canada, nz and gb.

Reply #762979 | Report this post

pigssy  
Years ago

you crappy aussie coach can fill your roster with slow, unathletic nbl players for the commonwealth games. kay, sobey, gliddon, caddie, barlow, goulding are all locks. Lol

Reply #762984 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If I am correct, Australia will be a guest nation in basketball at the 2022 Asian Games also

Interesting - reading up on this and the provision also includes NZ as it is for all sports where Oceania qualifies via Asia for the Olympics. So it would give us far superior competition than a Commonwealth Games field.

Reply #762985 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Like PW I just checked dates and Commonwealth games finish about a month before Asia games start.

Would make sense to pick young players for both tournaments and get experience into them for 2023/24.

Should have a new coach by then hopefully.

Reply #762990 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I'm from Perth so not the brightest but I'm sure Piggsy is DaveToddMakurMaker.

Reply #762993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^

And 1000 anons

Reply #762996 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boomers 3X3 team has to be Adel, Bolden and Maker, right?

Reply #763126 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Have given this no previous thought so here's my first reaction to the thread.

If your going for wholesale changes, or even a new-look team, it would be futile to promote our current 9,10,11 & 12 to say, the core group. Safe to say we are not looking at Gliddon, Barlow, Sobey, Goulding or even Kay to be tomorrow's Mills, Delly Ingles etc. And by then, post-2020, there will be several current youngies who will no-doubt fill those back-up roles.

Of the current Boomers team, those that were actually in the team, I can't see any of them as Boomers post-2020. In an ironic twist, I can see several squad members, who didn't make it or didn't go, being part of that future.

So, I think that Simmons, Bolden, Maker, Green, Humphries, McDowell-White, Exum, will be in the mix. As will Lansdale, who did make it and go. Lots of other names to add with your input.

Be good if someone gets a big list of fairly serious prospects (including the ones above so that they can all be in a single post) and we can all bounce off that with names we know. Bit like a poll.

Be fun if we can leave out the negatives. Let's not can eachothers choices, we can just come up with our own faves, nooo!

Reply #763136 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Surely after Tokyo Lemanis is gone and the Boomers reset with a new coach for the CG and going forward?

Reply #763160 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep agreed, time for a new look after Tokyo, and I reckon you'd find Andrej would agree with you on that too. Eight years is a long stint as national team coach.

Interesting, the teams that have been the best in international basketball in recent years - USA, France, Spain, Australia, Serbia - have had long-term coaches in place, while Argentina went back to their long-term coach and got a silver medal. There is no real substitute for continuity in sport.

Reply #763163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So continuity is good but we should get rid of our best ever coach even though there is no one better available just because 8 years is too long. That kind of thinking is why the world is stuck with Trump.

Reply #763166 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So continuity is good but we should get rid of our best ever coach even though there is no one better available just because 8 years is too long. That kind of thinking is why the world is stuck with Trump."

As I hope you know, that's not what I said, although your interpretation is quite amusing. If you are interested in my reasoning, it's this:

The make-up of the team will be quite different post-2020, with more athletic players who won't be as well suited to Lemanis' system as the current group, which has a lot of guys whose strength is their basketball smarts rather than physical tools.

As such, I think the style needs to change. That can either happen by Lemanis evolving, as Henare has in NZ, or a new coach whose style would suit that group.

I reckon Lemanis could well be ready for a break after 8 years, and won't have the energy to combine his full-time gig with embedding a new style into the Boomers.

I personally think Rob Beveridge's style would be a great fit for guys like Exum, Simmons, Bolden etc allowing them to use their athleticism to best advantage. There could be other good candidates too, but that's a discussion for post-2020.

Reply #763169 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yes it will be 3x3.
Not sure why, but they like to do that sort of thing at the Comm Games.

Part of the issue is that they hate adding sports that just give Australia another Gold.
Which s fair enough. Our dominance just makes the Comm Games look foolish.

It would be different if they entered as BRITAIN, but they don't.
You'd think the BBL would push for its inclusion, But an England only team would probably be weaker than a British team.

Be interesting to see if they include Rugby, possibly 7's, and Cricket.

Reply #763172 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:21 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754