Dr Bullshit
Years ago

SIXERS DO IT AGAIN!

The 36ers have won again in the final seconds with farley and d-rych hitting 1/2 free throws down the stretch. Questionable charge call late in the game overshadows the fantastic 6ers comeback. Three games this season the sixers have won at the death. They are making a habit of this!

Topic #4591 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

and if that doesnt get your blood runnning, you aren't a basketball fan!

Reply #53238 | Report this post

panther  
Years ago

i was at tonights game and it was just awesome. Two games in a row. I f they keep winning like that it would be great. Good night of basketball overall. Good crowd. GO SIXERS THIS SAT AGAINST THE PIGS AT SYDNEY.

Reply #53241 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Huge 3 pointer by Willie to tie the scores up too. The boy hasn't trained much the last couple of days with the team due to the birth of his daughter y'day.

Reply #53242 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

It was a really interesting game- tough D by the tigers by the Sixers also seemed to get the boards that mattered at the end. Farley is so soft in D and is such a liability it's not funny - but we love him still right?

Refs were terrible both ways - I would be spewing if I were the tigers, but as a Sixers fan I will take the charging call!

I agree with the crowd, pretty good considering it was a Wednesday with Div 2 & 4 mens still on and possibly ther div's as well?

It sure would be nice if every game finished close like the last couple with the Sixers coming up big to win - awesome atmosphere and has everyone buzzing as they leave. Entertainment is also solid with simple, involving stuff that the crowd can enjoy.

Keep it up all!

Reply #53246 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Yeah, the games momentum swung like a yo yo in that game. Cavalo, I completly disagree with you thinking that Farley was soft in D and being a defensive liability... perhaps we were watching different games...

I thought generally the refs did ok in the majority of their calls, but on some of the more important decisions (ie that charge)it was questionable.

Positives for the game were:
* Oscar's game, hit some huge shots.
* Brad Hills agression, willing to take it to melbournes defence when others werent.
* Rycharts last quarter, I think its pretty cool that a guy who spent so much time on the pine due to foul trouble can still come on and play like that when it matters.
* Defensive effort on Anstey, really impressive, especially with many double teams on the low post.
* Brett Maher, everything from shooting to his understanding of how the team works.
* teams ability to get the win.
* D-Mac, damn you gotta still love his game, for 41 years old he's damn amazing, some of the plays he pulled off were great.

On the down side the 36ers seemed to fall asleep in d at stages, espeically at the start of the third quarter. Moving off man back into zone was something which perhaps should have happened sooner. Wasnt the greatest game from Holmes, at times I think he forces/rushes it a bit too much.

All in all it was a great entertaining game to watch, the crowd was really into it and it looks like things are improving from the first game.
Bring on the Pigs.

Reply #53251 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

TC - yes Farley plays D up on the ball handler and really hassles them quite well and has to be credited with helping force that turnover which led to the win against Cairns, but...

Once the ball has been passed off, he nearly always loses his man, doesn't bust through screens, never denies the passing lane, get beat on cuts, on the fast break he never gets in front of the man (had a great opportunity to do so tonight and didn't) and is always sooking about calls and lets a fast break happen with no one challenging. This is why he has never got an NBA gig!

I don't want to turn this thread into a negative, but I guess I just wanted to back up my claims on his D. Still love the guy and probably wouldn't swap him for too many other imports and do agree he has stepped up his intensity on pressuring the ball handler.

I'm a passionate Sixers fan and just wanted to throw the poor D comment about Farley in my personal summary and appreciation of the game.

Cheers

Reply #53253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible call. Terrible call.

(Mod: How's the weather in Victoria? ;))

Reply #53254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd take that last charge call as a make-up for the one she called on Oscar against Stiff.

He didn't have position, didn't hit him in the middle of his body, wasn't moving straight back, and the contact was questionable.

Atleast Maher had his defensive position, even if the contact was excessive.

Reply #53260 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Charge and travel were both accurate calls. That's the word from those closer to the court than I.

Reply #53261 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

How could anyone be closer to the court than the VIP Isaac Forman? Was that your head I saw in the front row just in front of me?

As for Farley's D, Cavalo is spot on. If we lost tonight I was going to come on here and rip into Farley for all of the above. It's called ROTATION Willie!

Reply #53269 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"due to the birth of his daughter y'day"

Strewth, who named the baby? Saddam Hussein? Sounds too much like Uday! ;-)

Reply #53271 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

can someone explain to me why Smyth didnt call a timeout during the third quarter??

Reply #53281 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

can someone tell me why he did not sub Jacob out of the game, he is my new whipping boy.

A turnover waiting to happen at the moment. Needs to be pulled aside and told to relax, stop forcing it and let the game come to him.

Reply #53282 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I felt the same with Hill. I haven't seen much of him play (did great against Sydney) but how many times do you drive and get stripped before you think it's not a good idea?

Had a good couple of plays just before three quarter time.

Reply #53291 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Looking at the box scores shows Holmes hit 1/10 from the floor. Were things just not dropping for him or was his shot selection dodgy???

Free throws shooting looked pretty average, 15/24, luckily enough Dusty and Farley put them in when they counted. Potential issues with missed free throws????

Reply #53293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DC - I was front row, but closer to the Tigers bench than your end of the court. Much of the discussion about the charge (e.g., on OzHoops) comes from the timing of it in the context of the game. I would prefer to win that game from them tying it up and us scoring again, or them missing and us running down the clock (less furore), but oh well.

Holmes looks to be in a shooting slump. Last 3 games he's gone 5/31 (16%).

Two good games in a row for Oscar (especially the opening quarters) picking up some of Nash's minutes.

The team's defense in the third quarter was absolutely woeful. If it weren't for Hill hitting that three and then getting the lay-up almost on the buzzer, we would've been 12-32 in that period. That's another bad third quarter.

I thought that the Fox footage and replays on the big screen were great (plus occasional Fox stats). Anyone else see Anstey whinging about a foul call and pointing to the screen for a replay? Yet the screen was just showing him pointing (almost at himself on the court). Silly boy.

Whoever sold that controlling computer or software for the cube and main scoreboard needs to be called in -- seemed to go down a couple of times last night as well. :|

5-1 is a great spot to be in having endured the QLD double and faced Melbourne and Sydney. Next three games are very winnable (Razors in Sydney, Hawks at home, Breakers in NZ). Looks like Nash will be back for the game after those three, against the Bullets at home.

Reply #53294 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I think holmes was on the end of a couple of near shot clock violations and had to shoot under (time)pressure. Certainly doesn't help confidence (or stats).

Reply #53295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the guys controlling the screen need to have something ready for when the opposition do that like, "not in our house" or "oppositions dont get replays" something like that. Funny thing was he was arguing a point for another player, because the foul wasnt called on him, and from where I was (ie a fair way away from the screen) it actually looked like it was a foul on the replay. I dont know what Gaze's reaction was like at the end of the game but he was getting excited in the third quarter when they were winning, I hope the navy seals noticed that and gave Andrew a hard time at the end of the game.

Reply #53296 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

In fairness to Hill, I loved his aggressiveness and taking it hard to the hole and it forced both Dmac and Tucker onto him on the break. Unforunately, those two are probably the best hands in the business so yes, you would have thought after being stripped at least twice he would have given it off in the first half. To his credit, he kept pushing the ball when given the opportunity and scored timely buckets there on lesser defenders(?) at the close of the third.

RE Jacob - I do think he is rushing a bit and also think the comment was fair about him having to shoot with the shot clock running down. Seems like Jacob shoots better on the road? I haven't done any stat comparisons from last year or this year - might have to check that one out...

Reply #53298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Speaking of comparisons, I don't have time to do this for each player, but I looked at the game output of Oscar based on minutes played. Obviously you'd expect output to increase with time on court, but his increases exponentially as you can see below (game number, time on court, HSA rating, HSA per minute played). He always seems to do much better when he gets that consistent 25-30 MPG and can relax.

1. 15 minutes. 7 HSA. (0.46 HSA/min)
3. 20 minutes. 4.5 HSA. (0.23 HSA/min)
4. 21 minutes. 9.5 HSA. (0.45 HSA/min)
5. 24 minutes. 14 HSA. (0.58 HSA/min)
2. 25 minutes. 18.5 HSA. (0.74 HSA/min)
6. 28 minutes. 31 HSA. (1.12 HSA/min)

Wonder if there are similarities with a few of the other players coming off the bench?

Reply #53300 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I agree with Cavalo - Jacob was taking some tough shots last night. BUT, i do think he needs to step into his shot rather than the awkward head and ball fake he seems to throw everytime he catches the ball- it only puts him off balance.
- I thought last night might have been a good opportunity to play Hambour for a couple of minutes- perhaps on Mottram ? Mottram had a stinker and Hambour is a strong guy who could have banged bodies in there while dusty and Cooper rested.
Rees was the hero last night IMO he came in and did his job and got 6 pts ? and some valuable rebounds. That put back in the early 4th qtr(?) was something that sparked the guys offense.

Oscar was great last night- that last triple of his was massive, even got Boti up off his seat !!

Re Brad Hill - he does a great job when he is out there, and will learn when to pull up on guys like D-mac or lay off the bounce pass to a streaming team-mate. He is only 19 yrs old and last night 2 of those "strips" were fouls - Dmac always gets away with them. Hill showed some nice range too burying that 3 pointer when it counted.

--- Speaking of which - what is up with Willie not taking the ball to the hole HARD this season ? He seems content to flick it up there (reverse usually) rather than draw the contact or cram it on someone?

I loved the game last night - it just worries me that we blow an 11 point lead and have to rely on our last play to get it done. And my ticker aint gonna last the season if we do it like that every week !!

Reply #53301 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Skyhook, I think I need to concur with your constructive critcism on Farley's softness in going to the rack. He has done that at least once on every home game this year and each time he has missed the shot and not drawn a foul.

It really seems as though he is trying to protect his body and then stares the refs down and walks back on D. For someone of his ability, he really has to go much harder, convert and/or draw the foul.

I made mention of the same aspect about getting his body in front on a fast break - he pulls out. Too soft - it's a weakness in his game he's got to improve.

C'mon Skyhook - don't games like the last couple improve the strength of the ticker!?!? =) As you know, great for the crowd and word of mouth opportunities - hopefully the masses commence to flock back. I guess it will also ensure a nice solid 5000 crowd at least for the rest of the year hopefully.

Reply #53302 | Report this post

TR,

What do you mean by "luckily enough Dusty and Farley put them in when they counted"

Late in the game you need your guns (and imports!) to step up and make two from two.

If Willy had made two the Tigers would have been forced to make a three to win or two to tie. And if Dusty had of knocked both his then the Sixers would have been certain of at least OT. If they had of made 4/4 between them then the travel call would have been irrelevant cos the sixers would have been up by four and guaranteed the win (assuming no stupid foul on a three pointer)

Reply #53304 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Ok, fair enough, and what could of happening if they both went 0/2??

Reply #53333 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

At this level, they should NOT be missing foul shots.

Reply #53354 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah the charge call was a payback for the soft forman one. As for hill i just think he holds the ball a little too far away from his body when be drive and it sits up for the strip. Does it before the drives as well, kinda a hesitation/cradle move and then pushes off. Great game though, and will be booking my bypass this week!

Reply #53382 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Is it just me or are we not playing on the help lines or stepping to help on drives. (I know I'm being picky here but just an area for improvement). Thats why I like Paul Rees game (I never think that when he's on).

What about his faked hand-off to Maher and drive down lane, one for the highlight reel.

Reply #53392 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

I wonder how many more "Get out of Jail" cards the sixers have left. They have already used 3 this season.

Reply #53394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754