Anonymous
Years ago

27 NBA scouts were at Lamelo Ball’s game

How's that for great exposure for NBL players. His game highlights continue to trend and go viral on YouTube,

Topic #45940 | Report this topic

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How do you know there were 27?

Surely some wouldn't want people to recognise them as scouts?

I hope you’re not trusting Ball Inc to be accurate in this.

Reply #764170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scouts scout was there.

Reply #764171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even worse than Ball. Olgun.

Reply #764172 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

I thought the young bloke looked the goods tbh. Just out of interest, what does '27 nba teams' generally look like? Does that mean a bunch of people flew in for the weekend? Or do they have local resources they can call upon to do their scouting?

Reply #764174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Former Wildcat, Drake U'U flew in to scout for the Sacremento Kings

Reply #764178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another fictitious thread I think you will find it was only 26 scouts!

Reply #764180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously stop creating rubbish threads it's an embarrassment to hoops.com

Reply #764182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously stop creating rubbish threads it's an embarrassment to hoops.com

Reply #764183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Givony from ESPN/DraftExpress/whatever mentioned being in Tasmania for it.

Givony attends virtually every major tournament, camp, workout, Combine or other type of gathering featuring present or future NBA prospects, whether in the US or worldwide...

Reply #764187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olgun is the only scout worthy of the word scout!

Reply #764190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be the last time we see nba scouts in Australian this year. I’m curious to see if the nba scouts pick up other players from the NBL at the end of the season. That would help recruit better players for the NBL in the future plus more next stars

Reply #764198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This viral guy again. 3rd thread. Go away

Reply #764199 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

I heard it was closer to 45

Reply #764208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If RJ and Melo are both likely to be lottery picks, why would teams that are definitely not gonna be in the lottery send scouts?

Reply #764212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they might trade into the lottery. Because the kids might get hurt or underperform and drop to the mid-first. Because the teams that are definitely not going to be in the lottery might have a star get injured, or pissed off and demand a trade, and end up in the lottery.

Reply #764223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-draft-news-lamelo-ball-puts-on-a-show-for-scouts-in-tasmania/

Reply #764225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

John Givony's Twitter : 27 scouts

Reply #764227 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Oiled this be to gauge a baseline, with the plan being to track progress throughout the season? It would give them a guide to how they develop playing in a pro environment with men.

Reply #764229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish thread? There's 27 NBA scouts watching NBL preseason games and you consider that rubbish. You’re probably the same person who was trashing the NBL getting 1 million views on twitter and YouTube.

This stuff is great for our league.

Reply #764230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This viral guy again. 3rd thread. Go away

Narrr I only started 2 this on someone else but I like it lol
I'd like more people to come here not push them away it’s awesome for NBL and Australian bball. this forum is gaining momentum to.

This is the biggest and best thing to ever happen to the NBL in its history and where part of it. Strap in and enjoy the ride

Reply #764237 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Did anyone hear Santamaria on yesterday's stream talk about how quite a few NBA scouts were interested in Dan Grida?

Reply #764270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overtime put a video up:

'LaMelo Ball DOMINATES in front of 27 NBA SCOUTS'
https://youtu.be/xhP87xToEZ0

And yes it’s another viral NBL video currently at 822,000 views

Reply #764311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that Lamelo is covering his cost on jersey sales alone. Don't forget he sold $60,000 worth of jerseys in 24hrs.

Reply #764313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^thats the American YouTube overtime it has 1.3 million followers

Based in NYC, Overtime is a sports network for the next generation of fans. We bring you fire content of the stars and personalities you want to see, on and off the court

If you're an athlete or coach and want to get involved, hit us up: [email protected]
FOLLOW US!
Instagram, Twitter, Facebook: @overtime

Reply #764322 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Word is that Lamelo is covering his cost on jersey sales alone. Don't forget he sold $60,000 worth of jerseys in 24hrs

So let's say hypethetically that Lamelo is on $1,000,000

Are you saying that revenue, after costs of materials for those jerseys, the profit is the same as Lamelo's wage?

Reply #764331 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Well hypothetically if he's on a billion dollars, they'd have to sell a lot of jerseys i reckon

Reply #764332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spoke to a couple of NBA scouts and one guy associated with Didi.
The Draft eExpress guy was there as well.
I was very surprised at how well the tournament was run.
Nothing was a problem and from what I saw everything was spot on.
I didnt see any players complaining and anything that was asked for was obtained.
Incidentally the 27 NBA scouts that were indeed there were well looked after with nice gift packs on arrival and they were hosted by Big Joe who did an outstanding job.
Great to catch up with Leroy, Ray Ray, Cal, Stiffie, and so many more.
The Kings owner was in attendance, and Larry and Will Hodgman were literally front row centre yesterday.
Spoke to the Premier on the way out and he said he thoroughly enjoyed the games.
Good to hear and onwards and upwards. More negotiating to go and probably by Christams time there might be a positive outcome.

Reply #764337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^nice bit of insider info thanks mate

Reply #764344 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

and they were hosted by Big Joe who did an outstanding job.

Like a cat he always lands on his feet.

Reply #764358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I guess it's penis envy. Many don't like him it seems but from my observations and conversations with him he was on point.

Reply #764366 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

They were there to see Ball, not because they're impressed by the NBL.

Reply #764548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far from it. I spoke to several scouts and they were all looking at the quality of the players in the NBL. Including the imports and locals.
I saw La Melo play and his stats looked good. Early on in the game he turned the ball over, made sloppy passes and made poor decisions on his early shots.
NBA? On that performance no.
Better players there for sure.

Reply #764549 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Brad

Are scouts are paid fees for scouting? Or are they employees who have their travel paid by NBA teams, as well as a salary package.

Either way, the best value for money is in finding the best prospects wherever they go. If I were a scout watching a game, and my main focus was being outshone by another young player, I'd be looking closely at them both, and reporting on both.

Reply #764566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the first time nba scouts have come to Australia to watch NBL games it’s been happening for years just more intensified this year. The scouts don’t have tunnel vision they can see just fine, that includes all the other players and coaches e.g. Will Weaver
Lamelo and Rj will make the draft let’s not focus on what they play like now let’s look at what they have become at the end of the NBL season.

Reply #764580 | Report this post

Brad  
Years ago

You're right Anon, scouts have been coming here for years. In fact, NBA players have been coming here for close to 30 years and playing in the NBL. The world has known about the NBL for a very long time. I even remember SHAQ attending a game here in the mid 90s.

I'm not sure why some are going gaga all of a sudden like OMG the US and the world are finally paying attention to australian basketball. It's been happening forever.

Reply #764590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
Not like it is now. There here for real.

Reply #764591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Yes the level of nba scouts involvement has intensified this year, just not the first time the NBL has had interest from the nba

Reply #764593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like the local Australian media has noticed Lamelo with news stories from fox sports and news.com today about him being number 1 nba draft pick, soon the flood gates will open (probably after the football finals) lol

Reply #764596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I spoke to one scout from the Pelicans and he was based in Melbourne for the NBL season to keep an eye on Didi.

Reply #764602 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well then I guess someone screwed up pretty badly.

Reply #764606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol^

Reply #764608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wile 27 nba teams scouts are in Australia I hope the NBL has a few scouts in America finding next season next stars. The NBL has to get on this early

Reply #764609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As of 23/10/19
NBL Twitter 60k follows
NBL Facebook 185k follows
NBL instagram 132k follows
NBL YouTube 18.4k follows

Reply #769312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

those numbers are viral

Reply #769510 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:31 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754