Greggo
Years ago

SEM current standing (imports)

Now excuse me if I'm wrong about this, i was overseas this weekend and only had a quick glean of the results on the NBL website, but am I correct in saying that SEM went undefeated this weekend without Creek?

Add to that they had pretty much no input from their big import?

My question is, does that kind of leave them in a pretty good position leading into the season? They can carry Benson to get them through for now, and then look for a stud big as NBA cuts etc happen and replace him? If they survive the start of the season and then can add a replacement big, they start to look pretty good to me.

Is there any thing wrong with that thinking, especially transaction wise?

Topic #45943 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a top notch centre to replace benson and can also get another importbwhen Wesley becomes local player soon.

Reply #764264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How and when does Wesley become a local again?

Reply #764272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone said it when they signed him that they could possibly get him as local before end of season but would hold that import spot as injury replacement.

Reply #764275 | Report this post

Cat Fontroller  
Years ago

Victoria Strong

The progress of SEM is another example of how basketball is thriving in our state, look at the many ways:

Massive participation and grassroots support for the sport.

Melbourne United a NBL power with SEM set to build the local rivalry and further build the sport here. And provide opportunities for talented local players.

The man who saved basketball is 100% behind Victorian basketball. Basketball in this country is centered in Victoria.

Melbourne recently hosted the two biggest basketball events ever in Australia.

We have the highest state representation in the World Cup Boomers.

Comprehensive structural support already exists with the state government committed to substantial further resourcing for infrastructure.

Tremendous depth of quality coaching available and ever increasing opportunities for young people to get involved with the sport.

Ongoing domination of underage national competition's across all age groups with our huge participation rates, excellent facilities and coaching depth making us always the team to beat.

We have the superior winter league with NBL1 providing a nation leading competition for Victorian associations to participate in and local players to aspire to. With the league now receiving support from the highest sources it will only go from strength to strength, as evidenced by new NBL1 all-star teams taking on the NBL Blitz etc.

From,
Our massive participation rates and all conquering junior state teams,
To our nation best NBL1 comp.,
To our controlling role over basketball nationally,

Victoria basketball is going great.

Reply #764317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pre season. It is way to early for reliable predictions. After a couple of rounds it will give us more of an idea. Remember "daylight"..

Reply #764319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld basketball on the rise, watch out vics.

Reply #764320 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Don't know where the Cat Frontroller (lol) got excited from. But my question is more around the possibility that Benson is a stand in until someone of value pops up, and whether this is actually feasible.

I think SEM have a good team with a huge few holes, this being the main one. Their roster lacks a star, or exciting athlete type player- but they are full with strap on the hard hat and get it done type players.

Reply #764324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roberson / Adnam
Madgen / Gibson / Hickey(DP)
Creek / Stephens
Wesley / Trist
Pineau / Benson / Acuoth

Get rid of Benson for a proper import C, Pineau as backup C.
Better backup pf/cs than Trist around.
Gibson a role player nowadays, need a decent sg.

Could possibly see a starting 5 of
Roberson, Madgen, stephens, Creek, Wesley.

Reply #764326 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Pre-season. Check.
Real contenders using Blitz as experiments/ practice. Check.
Defending champion's coach leaving assistants in charge. Check.
New team desperate to build momentum. Check.

Nothing to base predictions on yet, but good luck to the new franchise.

Reply #764333 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Victoria needs something going for it.

I enjoyed another 31 degree day today with light sea breeze. You can keep your winter

Reply #764361 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought the idea behind signing Benson is that he's a beast on the boards and they throw up a lot of 3 pointers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but second chance points in basketball is still valuable and even if Benson isn't their man then they will still get the same type of player that defends and rebounds well.

They have a star in Ben Madge's and I think he will have a very good season this year

Reply #764377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you watched the blitz you'd know SEM have a star in Roberson. He’ll join Ware, Cotton & Trimble as one of the elite guards in the league.

Reply #764384 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

No good being a beast on O-boards if you're only good enough to play 8mpg. Not what imports get paid for

Reply #764398 | Report this post

SEMP looks the goods, add Creek to the mix, they are not going to be easy push overs. Great move the league, hope this generates more good teams for the future.

Reply #764437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, SEM won two completely meaningless Blitz games, so clearly that means they will be champions this season

Reply #764459 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Literally no one came close to saying anything like that sweet cheeks.

Reply #764463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:19 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754