What do you know?
Years ago

New SBL finals fixtures

The West Australian State Basketball League (SBL) has today announced the introduction of a revised finals model for the 2020 Season.

Through consultation with all 14 SBL association representatives, a revised finals model was accepted and passed by the SBL Commission for introduction to the 2020 Season.

The 'top 8 model', which is identical to that of the AFL and the NBL1 format, will see the teams who finish in top 4 positions, receive a double chance to progress in the finals, making the regular season more competitive than ever.

The 2020 SBL finals will be played across a 4-week period with the revised concept shortening the finals schedule by one week. The top 4 teams who win the first week Qualifying Final must navigate a bye throughout week 2 before hosting a Preliminary Final in week 3.

Six of the top 8 teams will be guaranteed to host at least one finals game with the top 2 teams guaranteed to host two games.

To ensure maximum opportunity for supporters to attend, the SBL Grand Finals will remain on the John Gardiner Show Court at the Bendat Basketball Centre which seats over 2,500 spectators.

The 2020 SBL Season will commence in March with the Grand Finals scheduled on August 28 and 29.

Topic #45954 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

about bloody time!

Reply #764651 | Report this post

The_King  
Years ago

I like it!

Reply #764653 | Report this post

Mike Kutler  
Years ago

Hmmmmm

Reply #764658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no best of 3?
Thats silly.

Reply #764659 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

The GF should be best of 3

Reply #764662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they need GF at bendat and bendat has too much going on for a 3-game series

Reply #764663 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Everyone: "The whole playoffs should be best of three."
BWA: "We got rid of best of three completely!"

Reply #764664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Everyone: "The whole playoffs should be best of three.""

well no, the clubs agreed to this format.. so by everyone, are you referring to keyboard warriors...

Reply #764665 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Etto was eager for a new gig if the double chance involved the losing higher seed in the GF being granted a replay.

Reply #764668 | Report this post

SBL Fans  
Years ago

I think it makes it way more respectable and fair now! Great move BWA!

Reply #764683 | Report this post

SBL Fans  
Years ago

I remember on the SBL radio show the lads talking about this. I remember two of them pushing for it a lot. They raised a few good points that on reflection make sense.

1. No other competition has series and has a stand alone game.
2. It's a lot to ask of semi professional players.
3. The series rarely go to 3 games anyway.
4. There is no credibility when finals series are 3 games series and GrandFinal is one game.
5. If the GrandFinal was a 3 games series not as many people would go to game 1 or 2 hoping it’s a 3 game series.
6. Makes it more fair for country teams to not travel and also teams that finish higher and have to play game one away against a country side. Ie Lakeside this year.
7. Also rewards the teams finishing higher on the ladder with this new system as it allows teams who compete harder during the regular season a bigger advantage come Finals.

I think this is a win for the SBL

Reply #764684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think perhaps the preliminary finals should be best of 3 only.
grand finals and sudden death ( elimination are always better played as 1- game.

Reply #764711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754