Isaac
Years ago

Wildcats vs United, Oct 5

Another early blockbuster with United flying on after their SEM game to play in Perth. Tired and on the road - anyone like their chances against the Cats?

Topic #45996 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth 1 to 8

Reply #765720 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nah, Cats should get this at home against an undermanned United playing their 2nd game of the round

Let's hope CG43 pulls out another Perth special like he did this time last year (without the knee injury this time)

Reply #765721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth haven't looked that good in preseason but they would want to win this on home court with United vulnerable. Perth by 12.

Reply #765748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United got this. Goulding Long McCarron + Trimble is still a ton of talent. Tonight's game vs SEM to get into the groove and then pop over to Perth to ruin banner unveiling night. 30+ for CG43

Reply #765753 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Melbourne has improved by leaps and bounds and Perth have (IMO) stayed largely stagnant.

But Barlow and Prather are two big outs.

Will be a close game.

Reply #765760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have Melbourne really improved a lot (or at all)? Losing Ware and Boone is massive, those are two of their most important pieces. In their place they've got two young guys who struggle to defend.

Reply #765762 | Report this post

Cats for life  
Years ago

I reckon Barlow is there best player tbh, standard procedure talent doesn't win ball game's. 1st game of the season so can't bank on anything.

Just great the season is back!

Reply #765764 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Ware to Trimble is a slight upgrade on the offensive end but big downgrade defensively.

Boone to Long is a big upgrade.

Kennedy to Prather is also a big upgrade, but I am basing it on pre-injury Prather (Perth Prather).

Peter Hooley to Shae Illi is a big upgrade.

Martin and Wagstaff are one year older.
Jervis to Majok is a significant downgrade.
Brandt to Hunt is unknown (not enough sample space).

Reply #765766 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Barlow is their best player?????

Reply #765768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis to Majok a significant downgrade?????

Reply #765781 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Geez espn should really get rid of that shit at the bottom of the screen

Reply #765792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dwayne Russell first up, seriously.

Reply #765796 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It won't happen. They didn't have the ticker unlike their American counterpart for years which was great. Unfortunately it was applied earlier this year.

Reply #765797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah Dwayne Russell. As desperately shithouse as always.

Reply #765798 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Going to be interesting to potentially see Hunt and Long go h2h. Long is the benchmark, so hopefully its a meaningful test.

But also going to be interesting to see what Vickerman does without Barlow and Prather.

I'm guessing JLA goes to the middle and Long starts at PF??

Reply #765804 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ticker removed on ESPN? Nice.

Reply #765807 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

So...

It seems that the players who played WC have returned as better players at least Creek and Goulding). Creek also had G League/NBA stint.

Kay will be really interesting to see. He justified his spot at the WC, playing some important minutes and was very competitive and combative. I think he will benefit most from WC exposure. He's not the quickest, but I reckon he will appear to be quicker, by developing his ability to read really slick plays.

He could be in contention for MIP this year.

Reply #765960 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Liking the Perth continuity, so they should be clicking in their first game.

Huge United outs.

I'm with the rest of you guys, calling a Perth win. 13 points

Reply #766227 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth win on paper, but I think Melbourne will come out a lot sharper than Thursday night. I expect Melo to bounce-back shooting-wise and Long to cause some problems inside. Melb in a close one.

Reply #766238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5:30pm Perth time tip off or est?

Reply #766240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3:30pm Perth local time. 5:30pm EST. Live on SBS Viceland

Reply #766241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS. I think it would be good if everyone who starts a game thread includes the tip off time in the post

Reply #766242 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Melbourne has improved by leaps and bounds"

I don't see how any team that has lost the absolute defensive quality of Boone, Kennedy and Ware, and the leadership and playmaking of Ware, can have improved.

They have potential to score more if they aren't taking it out of the net a lot, but they'll need to score a lot more because their ability to defend and score down the stretch is greatly diminished.

Reply #766244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think they have improved but not the team that will take the floor in this game. Kennedy was a chump. Boone was once very good but not last season's version.

Reply #766245 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kennedy was close to the best defensive SFs in the comp. Boone mightn't have been great for fantasy coaches last season (he may have been too, I don't know), but in real life he was as important to anyone not named Casper to that team. Big guys who set great screens, run the floor well, get you extra possessions and cover defensive mistakes are invaluable.

Reply #766247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kennedy and for that matter McCarron got eaten alive by White in the grand final series, didn't see any elite defence there.

Reply #766251 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What position was Kennedy playing most of by that point?

Reply #766252 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Jury is still out on White for me. Will his great GF form be legit or will it be a Beal like fluke.

Reply #766256 | Report this post

Kas  
Years ago

GOULDING is out tonight after injuring himself in last game

Reply #766258 | Report this post

Greggo  
Years ago

Surprised the odds haven't changed more with the Goulding outage. Gonna struggle offensively, and another whole that has no one to fill it.

Reply #766259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boone is broken where ever he plays.

Reply #766261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pert $1.33 and United $3.35.

Reply #766263 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Odds have changed - line by three to four points and Wildcats were 1.58 earlier in the week now in the high 1.30s.

Reply #766264 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who else but Nick Kay with the first basket.

Reply #766265 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha Smith-Milner can't do anything right.

Reply #766266 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

United look a lot more settled. No Goulding but if anything it's made roles clearer on offense so far.

Reply #766267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scary how good they are even without Goulding, Prather and Barlow. Jesus

Reply #766270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with hunts shoulders, injury or something else?

Reply #766271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Looks like scar tissue.

This fill in import for United is freakishly athletic.

Reply #766272 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Agreed that United look better today - seemed to be a bit of a rabble on Thursday. One less cook in the kitchen with Goulding injured helps.

Reply #766273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It helps that their opponent is very average. Perth gone backwards from last season replacing Angus with not much.

Reply #766274 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perth Arena refs though. :p

Reply #766276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone pull some strings and get Mr Cotton naturalised early next year.

Reply #766277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looks like shrapnel injury.

Reply #766278 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I get a feeling that Smith-Milners dunk early in the opener on Thursday is going to be his sole highlight for the year.

Reply #766282 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vague is dumb.

Reply #766283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do the teams shoot at the opposite ends as compared to fiba rules?

Reply #766284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tohi Smith-Milner has got to be one of the dumbest humans and lowest IQ ballers in the world.

Reply #766285 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #766286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen statues defend better than Long, Kay went rotund him like he had cement boots.

Reply #766289 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think half of Longs problems on D stemmed from his early foul trouble last season. Since then he plays D like he's on 4 fouls from the opening tip.

Reply #766290 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FFS Vague.

Reply #766291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THE NBL IS BACK!

Reply #766292 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Vague trying his best to lose it for us. How many dumb moments has he had. Not on Smith-Milner level but come on.

Reply #766293 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT PER 94-93 MEL

Reply #766294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton took a dive off a moving screen, refs are a major problem in Perth.

United very unlucky, again Whites length down the stretch hurt them again, Prather might be able to stop it.

Reply #766295 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great game. Would've like to see United go to the hoop there, but I think fatigue got them in the end.

Reply #766296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free throw and foul count to Perth is ridiculous. Great game though. Melbourne should be fine when the troops return.

Reply #766298 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Also a bit surprised Long didn't get inserted in the last couple of mins, even with how well Pledger was playing.

Reply #766299 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I can't wait for LV's assessment of the game. Brace yourselves.

Reply #766300 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Looking forward to LV's analysis of every foul and discrepancy.

Reply #766301 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

"However, if the 2 teams agree, they may interchange the team benches and/or baskets." - FIBA Rules, Article 9.4

So in other words it's only a rule if they want it to be.

Reply #766302 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...what?

Reply #766303 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Well, that's what NBL basketball should look like, on court anyway. Great pace of game, big plays coming from every direction. This is the kind of basketball that can turn heads.

Nick Kay is going to be just another Boomer who makes the NBL his playground. Three Aussies looking intriguing for that MVP spot at the moment. Not saying they'll get it but seems like an Aussie, outside of Bogut, has the best chance they've had in years.

The Perth Wildcats show once again why they deserve respect. Some will say "well they barely beat an undermanned United", but how often are teams gonna shoot 65%. United were shooting the lights out and Perth still found an extra gear.

I think the NBL made one adjustment, in that they decided not to go back to the hub visuals after half time. I don't think they should show the hub at any point of the game, if indeed they simply must have it. It is detracting and it just causes this weird dichotomy. If they cut that out, it will help the broadcast a lot.

Once again, the visuals were a step below what I'd consider HD but weren't as bad as they were in the first two games. Hopefully they're figuring out some solutions.

Reply #766305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they barely beat an undermanned United

Reply #766307 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The Vice HD looked great to me, but that's probably because I was watching SBS On Demand the last two games.

Also thought the commentary team were the best we'd had yet in so far as not obviously being at a different location to the game.

Reply #766308 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Melbourne deserved to win that. Was something wrong with Long to be out at crucial time?

Despite 0-2, Melbourne are still the favourites. Three stars to come back.

Good first three games of the season so far.

Reply #766309 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Your only as good as the team you can put on the floor.

Melb United in full spend mode decided on Prather. He has been bouncing off injuries and likely will be there at season end. Unfortunately every game counts this season and 50%W/L is not going to get you into the final 4.

Reply #766311 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Acoul looks damn impressive. Other than the 2 head of steam charges, he made shots and good decisions.

With him like that United are well 8 deep.

Reply #766312 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah agree on Acoul. I thought he adjusted nicely after the 2 charges as well - had that nice pass off the drive, and also a drive and kick before that. He looks like a future starter (to be fair, probably a current starter on most other teams in the league).

Reply #766314 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Agree with ME, united was running over 70% from the field most of the game, unlikely even the greatest player lifts that %.

Acoul looks good but he and uniteds other bigs are a worry defensively, had he received the welcome to the league treatment hunt got, he would have sat.

United have some serious egos to manage, long doesn't strike me as the i dont mind being benched for the betterment of the team kinda guy, melo, goulding, prather, long, mccarron and barlow all need to eat....

Perth, well hopefully they got the rust out, not their greatest game but found a way. Jury is still out on hunt.

Reply #766317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Acuil has some nice talent and quickness for his size. He just needs to know when to dial it back.
Chances of Hunt lasting the season in Perth? < 50% I reckon.

Reply #766318 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Yep, JLA at the 4 is what put Melbourne in the game. Very impressive, and overall a gutsy game by MU.
Almost came up with the win.
I think a preoccupation with running down the clock cost them, should have just let Melo put up the shot.

I think we should just let White sleep for the first half. LOL. Nice to have somebody else who can hit clutch 3's.

Steindl once again capped an impressive pre-season by missing every 3 point attempt.

Hunt will just be hoping he has enough points to upgrade to Business Class. You know you're in trouble when they have to sub you for Rhys Vague to win the game.
If he's 6'9 and weighs 115kg, then I'm the Queen of England.
According to the stats he should be the same size as Long. ROFL.

Reply #766320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good game that's why it’s the 2nd best league in the world :)

Reply #766336 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I love the look of Acuil.

United very very deep this year.

Reply #766347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yep, JLA at the 4 is what put Melbourne in the game."

Lots of potential, and can play a bit already, but lacks poise and his turnovers really hurt Melbourne tonight.

Reply #766349 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

True, but considering Barlow and Prather out injured, JLA was a big improvement over TSM.

Reply #766351 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Defensively he's loose, but athleticism and length make up for some of that.

Offensively decision making will improve with experience at this level.

Good project player for Vickerman this year. Intriguing to see where he's at in 2-3 years

Reply #766360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, he could be anything, very exciting young player.

Reply #766367 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

TSM is one of the worst players in the NBL (Only just in front of Trist). I am not sure what Vickerman sees in him. However, I am happy when he puts him on against the Sixers.

Reply #766368 | Report this post

Three to make two  
Years ago

Melbourne shot 74% (v 58%), 50% from the 3 (v 35%), and 83% FT (v 75%), out rebounded Perth 26-22, and lost.

23 fouls to 11, 12 FT to 28.

Should they feel aggrieved?

Reply #766377 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Three make two... united had 30 to 29 boards, allowed perth 16 o boards while only collecting 5 of their own. Also turned it over 18 times to 8. That's 21 extra possessions to perth!!!! Of you're suggesting united lost because of the umpiring ot was 25 to 15 fouls, if you watched uniteds big men, id say most fouls were there.

Reply #766416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually thought melb had the better run with the refs

Reply #766422 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

allowed perth 16 o boards while only collecting 5 of their own.
Hard to get offensive boards if you keep hitting shots.

Reply #766429 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Still allowed 16 o boards to perth, kober rulez,the point i was emphasising was the extra posessions they allowed perth.

Reply #766440 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Nice to get the win, and gotta love the 3-point nailer to finish.

But doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Melbourne had no Barlow, no Prather, no Flopking. And no McDaniels who apparently has been impressive off the bench.
Plus clearly still experimenting with rotations to cover this.

And yet we barely managed to get over them by 1 point, at home, with MU playing their 2nd game of the round.

Martin is not often a high scorer, but seemed particularly flat, and didn't get on the boards either.
Norton shot at 16%, yikes.
Steindl needs to be allowed to be more creative. I actually like it when he takes it inside, and he's tall enough to exploit smaller guards. But so often it seems his role on every play is to go and stand in the corner. Fine when he's sniping the 3's, but they just weren't falling for him.
Vague is showing real promise. He's getting much better at using his size and strength to advantage, especially defensively, and he can actually hit the 3!

Majok was a concern. Not just because of his lack of impact, but because he looked so slow and almost lethargic at times.

Hunt is just wait & see at time

Reply #766670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United played out of their skin with nothing to lose as large underdogs, Prather and Barlow could be injury concerns all season and don't believe the hype on McDaniel, he’s hardly an nbl1 player. Perth will be fine, expected to win and did. That Joe Lulil Acul could be the surprise package for United though.

Reply #766677 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Martin looked a touch slow, while Norton was missing shots I felt his energy level trumped Martins and we looked better when he was on the floor.

Hunt to me just looks too undersized, hoping he finds his feet and shows his worth but from the small sample size I dont expect to see too much.

Melbourne when healthy are going to be great to watch, a lot of talent on the roster who could put up some high scoring games this season.

Reply #766685 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754