koberulz
Years ago

New TV Production

Putting aside issues of perceived resolution and picture quality, what did people think of the new production? For mine every change is for the worse.

- Commentary from the studio is just stupid, period.
- Not even pretending they're in the venue makes it worse.
- If they are in the studio, why can't they wear lapel mics and earpieces instead of headsets?
- If they are going to wear headsets, and you have a mirrored pair, why would you put both microphones on the camera side?
- Dwayne Russell is terrible, but that's not actually a change.
- I preferred the league having its own graphics package, rather than using ESPN's look, or Fox's look.
- Homicide and Screen were pointless. Could've spent that money on sending Russell and Gaze.
- The graphics were well ahead of the actual game vision. Scores were updating as shots were released, before they even got to the rim on some occasions.
- I said three days ago that the ESPN ticker was going to cause issues. Apparently nobody at ESPN realised this. It obscured part of the scoreboard for the first couple of minutes and their first solution was to squash the game into a smaller area of the screen rather than to just get rid of the ticker, which frankly should never be on the screen during anything.
- The SportsCentre special was an hour long, but it felt like four hours. The host is just bad.
- It ran almost half an hour over due to the shorter timeslots this year.
- They actually wrapped it up and sounded like they were going off-air, only to come back for a post-game show which is apparently a separate show called "Live at NBL", which is the worst name for a show I've ever heard. It was also indistinguishable from the rest of the post-game coverage, as it still consisted of Gaze and Russell in a studio.

All in all I thought it was a huge step back from where it was last year.

Topic #46001 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Larry probably gave the production to his son.

First ever productions.

Absolutely horrible !

Reply #765973 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Perceived resolution and picture quality". No, sorry. Whatever the technical reasons are, the picture is shit and was better on Fox Sports. Go back to whatever they were doing with Fox Sports is the takeaway there.

And yes, overall a huge step backwards. They're probably going to have teething issues in figuring everything out and I expected that. But I hope they come to realize the hub is hideous, the picture is terrible, the LIVE AFTER show isn't even a show, and that we want to see action, not faces in a crowd.

Reply #765977 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whatever the technical reasons are
Whatever they are, there's already a thread for them. I'd rather discuss other aspects, as the picture-quality issue is getting plenty of attention over there.

Reply #765978 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Much like the standard of play made it clear at times that it was the first game of the season, the production was a bit the same. I feel like most of the issues will get ironed out with time.

Reply #765981 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah I think they will but with all the eyes on the NBL at the moment, they almost can't afford to fuck up this badly from hereon.

Reply #765982 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Nostraballmus foretells that it needs a Nostraballmus segment foretelling the results

Reply #765983 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I think they will but with all the eyes on the NBL at the moment, they almost can't afford to fuck up this badly from hereon.

That's fair.
After all, as Derrwayne pointed out multiple times last night, you only get one chance to make a first impression.

Reply #765984 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I did think the graphics used were much better. Otherwise yeah some minor issues that really need to be ironed out quick smart.

Would like to continue the studio to some degree, but have commentary on the ground. Would ideally like it to be 1 around the ground, 2 commentary and then 2 back in the studio. The studio team would cover pre-game, half-time and post-game as well as between double headers etc.

Reply #765986 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Sheesh, some people just love complaining!! I thought the scorecard graphics were far better than the 80's video game types in previous years. Some of the production stuff could be improved and I'm sure it will be. Overall not the worst but not the best either. Some will just never be happy regardless of the standards provided

Reply #765991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are complaining because they decided to do something "revolutionary" that was just completely unnecessary, while pretending it will benefit the fans.

Reply #765992 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

and they love complaining, it's inherit in most unfortunately. I love the fact that all games will be able to be viewed live and that the league is trying new stuff with the telecast. I can't see the studio commentary lasting but I imagine that would also be a budgetary thing when games out of state are starting to be played. They'll find the balance soon hopefully

Reply #765994 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I thought the scorecard graphics were far better than the 80's video game types in previous years.
Pretty sure 80s video games weren't capable of anything near previous NBL graphics packages.

I didn't think they were bad or anything, I just liked the league having its own look. This season's graphics are just ESPN's graphics.

Reply #765995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz did you like anything from last nights game? A lot of people on here are hard to please.

Reply #765996 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I imagine that would also be a budgetary thing when games out of state are starting to be played.
Except that they have to have in-venue commentary teams anyway. So where's the saving?

Reply #765998 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Koberulz did you like anything from last nights game? A lot of people on here are hard to please.
I was perfectly happy with last year's coverage, except for the usual Williams/Russell complaints.

Reply #765999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're not going to have the commentators in the stadium, then so be it but don't show them in a studio! Just don't show them at all. Makes it look cheap

Reply #766001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Except that they have to have in-venue commentary teams anyway. So where's the saving?"

There's less equipment you have to transport and less staff you have to pay.

Reply #766002 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

"Pretty sure 80s video games weren't capable of anything near previous NBL
graphics packages"

I was just referencing the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen and not the whole graphics package. Hence me saying "the scorecard graphics".

"Except that they have to have in-venue commentary teams anyway. So where's the saving?"

Flights. Equipment transport. Expenses for more staff being away from home etc

Reply #766004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz so you weren't really perfectly happy with last two years then.

Reply #766005 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I was just referencing the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen and not the whole graphics package. Hence me saying "the scorecard graphics".
80s video games weren't really known for HD detail or gradients, so I'm not sure what similarities you see.

Reply #766007 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why did Corey interview John White for his first in game cross? Missed a chance to ask about his coaching stint in England. And nice of Corey to lean over Brad Pineau (whose son was playing and doing a decent job) just to get to Dave Simmons (whose son wasn't playing).

Reply #766011 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

On a more positive note it was the first basketball game involving Boomers or NBL in six months with no Shane Heal in commentary. Amazingly refreshing.

Reply #766012 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Untrue, there was the Canada game at the World Cup.

Reply #766013 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How did I forget that infamous call? We had to endure that homer Canada commentator though which was kind of like a direct replacement for Heal.

Reply #766015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It looked cheap and nasty. Nothing like what we have come accustom too in previous years. Clearly obvious that the 5th year of the business plan requires the product to stand on its own 2 feet without being propped up by a benefactor. We will find out this year whether it is sustainable. Lets see what happens.

Reply #766016 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

"80s video games weren't really known for HD detail or gradients, so I'm not sure what similarities you see."

It was an analogy.... Not the brightest hey?

Reply #766017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AKA, if you recognise that things should improve, how do you expect that to happen if people aren't providing feedback?

Reply #766019 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"80s video games weren't really known for HD detail or gradients, so I'm not sure what similarities you see."

It was an analogy.... Not the brightest hey?
It's an analogy that doesn't make any sense to me.

What aspect of the previous graphics made it seem similar to an 80s video game?

Reply #766022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a complaint from AKA...

Reply #766024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with AKA, I’d hate to be married to some of you people, boy never happy. My sbs coverage was great in all aspects.::))

Reply #766025 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I didn't realise these were "ESPN" graphics, where else does ESPN use those graphics?

I liked the graphics.

In another thread I pointed out the score changing before the shot sillyness. No clue what they're doing there. The studio/no commentary on the ground thing just doesn't provide a polished coverage with that genuine atmospheric feel.

I liked the Sports Center special, just didn't like it being the "pre-game", and didn't care that it took a few minutes to figure out to remove the ticker.

Reply #766029 | Report this post

cosby  
Years ago

Scoreboard updating before the shot is released was very irritating, so i hope they can fix that. Hopefully we get Shane Heal back in commentary tonight.

Reply #766037 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

"It's an analogy that doesn't make any sense to me."
- Further validating the second part of my comment.

"What aspect of the previous graphics made it seem similar to an 80s video game?"
- The general dated and not modern look of it. Like I said, an analogy. I really think an improvement was made in this area, kudos to them for that.

You're either very dumb or purposefully naive. I'm trying to figure out which one.

In regards to the Anon that suggest improvement doesn't happen with feedback. I agree with the sentiment but I'm not sure the NBL will be scrolling through hoops.com.au searching for feedback on improving the telecast. I also doubt that the OP was trying to provide feedback to the NBL, rather they were having a good old whinge. I for one liked the telecast and am looking forward to it improving throughout the season to do justice to the talent on the court. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Reply #766038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hated the camera scanning across the back row of seats (or where ever it was) towards the side of the court. Pointless.

Reply #766046 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The general dated and not modern look of it.
But what specifically made it look dated to you? It had lots of small text, animation, colours, shading etc, which to me seems very modern. Not quite as much as those awful 3D logo models they were using in 2017, though.

Reply #766048 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

33,000 watched the NBL on ESPN last night.

What's the standard for subscription TV for NBL? 18-38k?

Reply #766050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13th overall yesterday on Foxtel, normally struggle to get top 20, similar rating to NRL 360.

Reply #766061 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Seb Costello and Homicide with the call tonight. It keeps getting worse.

Reply #766071 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow just wow. *vomit*

Reply #766072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can forgive all of it, but not having the commentary team at the venue is criminal and just amateur. No other major sport in the country do this and it's just treating the fans at home with contempt.

In an era where the NBL are doing so many good things, this is not one of them.

Reply #766090 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"33,000 watched the NBL on ESPN last night.

What's the standard for subscription TV for NBL? 18-38k?"

Hmm, usually 38K towards playoffs so 33,000 is fantastic numbers for game 1. Plus you have 10,000 who watched on Facebook.

Too bad the picture quality is absolute ass, commentating is garbage, and the whole production is disjointed hogwash though. They'd wanna turn it around quick.

Reply #766099 | Report this post

Seb Costello is embarrassingly out of his depth! limited knowledge and to busy trying to "entertain" us by baiting Corey = Lame.

Corey is OK at the comments during the break as his only benefit to the viewer is his over the top observations.

Either way the loser is the viewer!!

LK has to be watching and thinking WTF

Reply #766109 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"LK has to be watching and thinking WTF"

Well, I'd hope so. They have some changes to make, and fast. The picture quality and commentary just won't do.

Reply #766117 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Picture quality seems fine to me.

This commentary combo... not so much

Reply #766125 | Report this post

Seb thanking all the NBL sponsors during the game!! What a joke imagine watching A League "Thanks to Hyundai and Masterfoods".. I realize sponsors are massively important for the league but surely ads during the break and placement of logos on Jerseys and side screens are enough.

Reply #766135 | Report this post

Seb thanking all the NBL sponsors during the game!! What a joke imagine watching A League "Thanks to Hyundai and Masterfoods".. I realize sponsors are massively important for the league but surely ads during the break and placement of logos on Jerseys and side screens are enough.

Reply #766136 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Picture quality on ESPN looks super dull and like a photo that's been left to dry out in the sun to the point it's faded out. SBS coverage had the opposite problem, too saturated. Neither had particularly high definition, and if you have a HD or UHD TV, you REALLY notice.

Broadcast from the booth is fucking bullshit. Production is ugly. Cairns gone back to the ugly rings for some reason. Right when the NBL needed to look professional they're looking amatuer as hell.

The game was a bit lacklustre as well.

I dunno. NBL seem to be going out of their way to lose my interest. This is 2 huge steps back from Fox Sports and NBL 18/19

Reply #766140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Picture quality seems fine to me.
It was okay by the end, but at the start it was clipped so badly at the top end that the two-point areas were practically glowing. Left baseline cam was still way too hot the whole game, and the white balance on the right baseline cam was horribly out of whack with the rest of the venue.

Reply #766141 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Picture quality on ESPN looks super dull and like a photo that's been left to dry out in the sun to the point it's faded out.
Last night perhaps, but tonight was clipping in the highlights and looked way too saturated to me.

Reply #766143 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I regret changing the channel over to the Rugby World Cup a moment ago as it's in 4K with real commentary. NBL production in contrast is viral (as in AIDS not social media views).

Reply #766144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"YoucantRandlethetruth!" I see why you have a new nick or what ever YOUDONTHAVEACLUE !!!

Reply #766147 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Last nights stream on NBL TV was pretty much perfect tonight's stream was choppy, stuttering and basically unwatchable.

Reply #766149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBLTV is often flaky. NO need to pay for it now.

Reply #766151 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yep I think I've done my five bucks ;)

Reply #766153 | Report this post

"I see why you have a new nick or what ever YOUDONTHAVEACLUE !!!"

Great work: I see what you did!

Reply #766155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Zodiac
Within the hour
Yep I think I've done my five bucks ;)"

Yep per month to get crap quality until the end of the season, when you don't need to PAY FOR IT!

Reply #766163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

don't have espn, watched on sbs on demand. can't understand what the complaining's about. picture was great plus no endless loop of worst ever/hungry jacks/mg ads. Happy days, all games live and free.

Reply #766164 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"don't have espn, watched on sbs on demand. can't understand what the complaining's about. picture was great plus no endless loop of worst ever/hungry jacks/mg ads. Happy days, all games live and free."

Are you watching with Chromecast or something? Looks ass on my computer as it is.

Reply #766166 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

During the Phoenix @ United Game, where Creek hit the 3 late in the last quarter, the shot clock was showing 0for a good second or two BEFORE he shot and the scores were changing before the shot went down.

Seb Costello reminds me way too much of James Brayshaw with how he commentates and I think he can go wait until next season for another go.

I like the graphics but they need to be more in time with the play (we got a working shot clock as far back as I remember and I've been watching since 1992).

I'm not too deterred by the happenings but I'm not as excited as I feel I should be about the NBL right now.

Reply #766172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coverage on sbs is fantastic, today's commentary was woeful. Please can we get commentators to call the game and cut the bullshit out, it CANNOT be that hard.

Reply #766176 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Picture still garbage.

Reply #766178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Maybe you had better get yourself a new tv.

Reply #766179 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Knowing that the commentators are sitting in a studio really dulls the experience because commentators act in part as viewer's vicarious connection to the game. Having said that, if they didn't announce it and didn't show them sitting in a studio, I probably wouldn't have even thought about it.

I can understand the cost-cutting aspect, but if commentators are always in the same studio, I would've expected the commentary team could be reduced to only the best quality commentators.

Reply #766183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings game was good quality on sbs

Reply #766184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I can understand the cost-cutting aspect, but if commentators are always in the same studio, I would've expected the commentary team could be reduced to only the best quality commentators."

This.

Reply #766191 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"33,000 watched the NBL on ESPN last night. What's the standard for subscription TV for NBL? 18-38k?"

The average has generally been in the 10-15K mark on Fox, however the first game of the season has often been one of the highest-rating games for the NBL.

Reply #766193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many on sbs tuned in, looking good.

Reply #766198 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"^^^^
Maybe you had better get yourself a new tv."

I have a $3,000 Ultra HD TV bought this year. TV isn't the problem.

Reply #766206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok now they've gone dark today, but the scoreboard is nearly perfect (about a tenth of a second behind, better than in front). Still too much Dwayne Russell.

Reply #766269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russel and Gaze is a 100% improvement on last night debacle.

Reply #766275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear, going backward. Is this the end of teh NBL as we know it?

Reply #766363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm watching the Perth vs Melbourne mini match on SBS on demand... The quality is absolute trash. I'm thinking 480p? I have 100/40 NBN so no problem on my end.

Reply #766527 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

SBS On Demand carries three streams: 224p, 360p and 720p. I've never seen the mini-games look at all decent though, so I'm not sure what the story is there. Adelaide/Utah looked fine watching live this morning.

Reply #766533 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The SBSVicelandHD coverage doesn't appear to me to HD either, they don’t have the HD on their logo for it either but do for other programmes.

NBL are obviously trying things but they’re not achieving core aspects of enhancing entertainment or looking polished

Reply #766559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the Perth v Melbourne game wasn't in HD it was the purest SD I've seen in my life by a long way!

Reply #766560 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Hawks v Brisbane

Reply #766561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've used facebook/SBS viceland/ESPN/SBS on demand/Twitch all at various stages over round 1, haven't really had an issue with any of them

Reply #766562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
No problems either.

Reply #766564 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Some upscaling issues with ESPN and now everybody is becomimg paranoid on whether their HD really is HD. Classic.

Reply #766589 | Report this post

Gibbon  
Years ago

I wish they would show more stats, in the Wildcats/United game I could not tell how many fouls Long had - the website was so hard to use on my phone to find out as well. For the second quarter they forgot to show the team fouls at all. Other stats in general would be much better.

There's so little emotion in the commentary, the play by play guy should be reflecting the energy in the arena and build up tension then get excited when theres a comeback or something dramatic happens.

Reply #766631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just want the game called well. I couldn't give a toss about whether the commentators get super emotional or not.

Reply #766632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth v Melbourne replay on channel 31 now.

Reply #766643 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754