Two months ago
New TV Production
Putting aside issues of perceived resolution and picture quality, what did people think of the new production? For mine every change is for the worse.
- Commentary from the studio is just stupid, period.
- Not even pretending they're in the venue makes it worse.
- If they are in the studio, why can't they wear lapel mics and earpieces instead of headsets?
- If they are going to wear headsets, and you have a mirrored pair, why would you put both microphones on the camera side?
- Dwayne Russell is terrible, but that's not actually a change.
- I preferred the league having its own graphics package, rather than using ESPN's look, or Fox's look.
- Homicide and Screen were pointless. Could've spent that money on sending Russell and Gaze.
- The graphics were well ahead of the actual game vision. Scores were updating as shots were released, before they even got to the rim on some occasions.
- I said three days ago that the ESPN ticker was going to cause issues. Apparently nobody at ESPN realised this. It obscured part of the scoreboard for the first couple of minutes and their first solution was to squash the game into a smaller area of the screen rather than to just get rid of the ticker, which frankly should never be on the screen during anything.
- The SportsCentre special was an hour long, but it felt like four hours. The host is just bad.
- It ran almost half an hour over due to the shorter timeslots this year.
- They actually wrapped it up and sounded like they were going off-air, only to come back for a post-game show which is apparently a separate show called "Live at NBL", which is the worst name for a show I've ever heard. It was also indistinguishable from the rest of the post-game coverage, as it still consisted of Gaze and Russell in a studio.
All in all I thought it was a huge step back from where it was last year.