anon
Years ago

Bullets vs Taipans - Brisbane, 11 October 6:30 pm

Should be very interesting with Bullets being guard heavy and fast.
Looking forward to seeing the new stadium.
Could be a close game. Hard to pick a winner.

Topic #46046 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

I like Cairns for an upset tonight. Hoping for a close one in any case because I expect Hawks-Perth will be a double-digits loss type of game.

Reply #767199 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Looking like it will be pretty empty for game 1

Reply #767200 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

It would be a pity if it's empty. Hopefully not another Library!

Reply #767203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody cares about this game

Reply #767242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't wait.

Reply #767257 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

Any news on Oliver's knee?

Reply #767274 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

He is on the box score but starting on the bench. Not sure what to make of that.

Reply #767276 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

He is on the box score but starting on the bench. Not sure what to make of that.

Reply #767277 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

TV picture hasn't improved.

Reply #767282 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stream working great for me on SBS on Demand.

If Cairns fans raved about Jawai being in good shape this season they actually would've been legit, best shape I've ever seen him in.

Reply #767283 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Why is newbill not getting court time? Injured?

Reply #767284 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

SBS crapped out on me. It looked terrible anyway. I have two days of KAYO subscription left from World Cup - looks like I might be resubscribing because it works and looks alright.

Reply #767285 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

I also notice the on-screen clock continues to be out of sync with the court clock.

Reply #767288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Vukona either.
My sbs feed is excellent.
Will Cairns hold tough or fold
Brisbane defence been average.

Reply #767289 | Report this post

Matt Leabeater  
Years ago

I reckon newbill might have food poisoning or a vomiting bug or something like that hes gone to the change room twice during the first half and no one knows whats going on.

Reply #767290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nothing from the nbl or taipans on why newbill isnt playing...

Reply #767292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is warming up at half time, so must be feeling under the weather

Reply #767293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kayo stream seems a bit off. Like a voice over the top of the broadcast instead of integrated. A technical issue perhaps.

Reply #767294 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Well they are commentating from an-off site bunker.

Reply #767295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know that, but it's different sound to espn or sbs stream.

Reply #767296 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Jawai is so overrated. Negatives outweigh the positives....no pun intended.

Reply #767298 | Report this post

Bullets Fan  
Years ago

Broadcast has no atmosphere from either the commentators or the venue sounds. Please bring back the venue commentators.

Reply #767299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis telling team in time out to go Djeric, it makes sense, could not defend Humpty Dumpty.

Reply #767300 | Report this post

"Nobody cares about this game" great post? What game does everyone care about?

Reply #767301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns lack of depth catching up with them. At least 4 guys on this team aren't close to being NBL standard.

Reply #767302 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Does anyone care about Tommy's diet?

Reply #767303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless Cairns can find a wealthy owner, I can't see to much future, you still need some players of starter quality on the bench. Some of their starters leave a bit to be desired as well.

Reply #767304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very impressed by the Bullets ball movement ... pretty good team they are building into for this season .

Reply #767305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hard to pick a winner." Are you serious?

Reply #767306 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Machado probably thinking what the hell have I gotten myself into

Reply #767307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must say how bad is Deng. Weak, under strength and getting handled like a bitch.
More importantanly I thought Deng was on for about 5 mins too long before kelly benched him.

Reply #767308 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Machado part of the problem with some of his casual dribbling and passing. Cairns 3 rotation guys short, really. No Newbill compounds it, too

Reply #767309 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

The audio mix on this broadcast is so off.

Reply #767310 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Surely Simon conn is a better option than some of these cairns players?

I get he is old but guy has more game

Reply #767311 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Noi is definitely no rookie ingles

Reply #767313 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Would you bother sacking Mike Kelly or just accept that Cairns are a crap team?

Reply #767314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has to be Larry's son who likes homicide commentating?

Otherwise I am out of reasons as to how the hell he has a job. So bad.

Reply #767315 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

Kelly hasn't got much to work with. You can’t turn shit into wine

Reply #767316 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How were Cairns not given a Next Star?

Reply #767317 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, Noi is no Ingles, but I think he's quality, just doesn't really seem to have much of an offensive game developed at the moment and is trying to do too much.

Reply #767318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF. "You can't turn shit into wine". Select shit and there is the problem. Either they have no budget or the Coach is selecting shit.
Embarassing. Mind you Brisbane aren't that much better.

Reply #767319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Newbill, no bench.

Reply #767320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gliddon has must be nba ready the ways he's made Noi look like a useless. I’m making this assumption on every one telling me Noi is the next nba big thing.

Reply #767321 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

First opportunity I've had to watch a broadcast. The bunker commentating is a losing prospect. Like someone said in a previous thread, it's exactly the same feel as watching the listless Euroleague games on ESPN.

And yep, plenty of empty seats. Partly because Cairns holds least appeal in the league. Mostly because it's a 6:30pm start at a location with wretched traffic woes that not everybody has the appetite to fight.

Reply #767325 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

JvG every bit the courtside commentator that he was GM.

Reply #767326 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I like his commentary and always thought JVG was more suited to that than being a GM.

Reply #767327 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Admittedly that throw to the Perth game wasn't his best work.

Reply #767328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK Cairns were offered La Melo.

Reply #767335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado definitely part of Cairns's problem, offensively.

Homocide his typical, terrible self in the commentary box.

Reply #767337 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AFAIK Cairns were offered La Melo.

... but they didn't have the money to pay him? I assume.

Reply #767353 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

League pays for next stars.

Reply #767366 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Offered yet declined? Doesn't add up?

Reply #767372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?. They declined. It adds up.

Reply #767406 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why would they decline if the Next Star is a paid for by the league player?

Reply #767408 | Report this post

Cellar Dwellars  
Years ago

Trust me they declined. Maybe he's not that good?

Reply #767430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Cairns haven't realised what talent is since they got rid of their previous coach. Some of there guys are horrible, ok in the qbl but not even good enjoyable for nbl1. Ball can play.

Reply #767434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Cairns don't want the distraction of a high profile player who has no investment in the club's success and no intention of sticking around longer than one season. I think it is a more than valid position to take.

Reply #767435 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

The venue looks shit
So small and empty seats

Reply #767453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venue looked good IMO.

Reply #767454 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It looks like a suburban rec center, not a major professional stadium.

Reply #767460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not too many 5000 seat rec centres around.

Reply #767463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1400 seats more than the Convention Centre. Venue is a massive upgrade in almost every way.

Reply #767464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it looked good, it's there home now, Cadee said in the interview that they train there and their gym is there.

Reply #767467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Cairns regretting getting rid of Fearne now? He was the only thing keeping that club competitive on their budget.

Reply #767468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ the million dollar question. Fearne last season wasn't that great either but it’s not looking great up there which is a shame. They picked some absolute qbl players on the bench, they were never going to be good enough. At least Cairns teams under Fearne played defence. Some of there bigs are no where near as tall as written on the write ups as well. No point saying your 208 when you’re actually 199. It maybe the Cairns shrink.

Reply #767470 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Brisbane trying to call the venue "The Armoury" is as lame and forced as the #thisiswhoweare hashtag they push out.

Disregarding location, venue itself is very good but.

Reply #767472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've actually been tricked by the low scoring totals Fearne lead teams held other teams to. Analytics has squashed that, and the low scores had as much to do with the snail pace of play Fearne teams played at. He forced his own team to make a bunch of passes before a shot, with long winded possessions for the Taipans. This schrunk the amount of total possessions in the game. Fearne did not have a great record and had some very talented teams at different stages.

Low scores does not equal good defence necessarily. Fearne cracked the code and now has the Mantra of being some defensive guru. This is not the case, and his style of play is the last thing a team needs in this era of basketball.

Reply #767474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least better than getting beaten every week and by some big scores. You play to your strengths, I don't see what plan or strength Cairns are playing to.

Reply #767480 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Analytics has squashed that, and the low scores had as much to do with the snail pace of play Fearne teams played at."

Firstly, being able to slow more talented teams who are looking to play fast is not easy, and it takes good offensive and defensive discipline to do so.

Secondly, and most importantly, Fearne's Taipans were in the top half of the league for defensive rating in 5 of his last 7 years (I don't have stats for his two seasons before that).

So we have a team that was good enough to slow teams down and also good enough to keep them to reasonably low points-per-possession totals, despite having less talent than their opponents more often than not.

Sounds like a pretty decent tick to Fearne.

Reply #767497 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1400 seats more than the Convention Centre. Venue is a massive upgrade in almost every way
The seating layout and the way it's lit make it look really cheap on TV though.

Reply #767500 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

I dont mind the look of the venue. The capacity suits the Brisbane fanbase and its not too small either so theres room for growth. For me the atmosphere looked decent on TV and the stadium itself was fine. Certainly didnt have a rec centre feel for me.

Sure its not an elite state of the art arena, but it seems that Brisbane isnt ready for one anyway.

I'd be more concerned with the crowd number. 2000 is dreadful especially for a season opener and moreso for a new venue. Was there no curiosity factor?

Their new owners have a lot of work to do yet.

I also notice the same excuses being made about poor crowds being that traffic is really bad and the time slot isnt great. If you cant get more than 3000 on a Friday night then you may as well play at noon on a Wednesday.

Traffic problems and issues getting there? I can sympathise, but this is not unique to Brisbane only. A car breakdown on the mitchell or kwinanna freeway and all of a sudden it can take over an hour to get to Perth Arena if driving from either end of the city.

Reply #767512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The seating layout and the way it's lit make it look really cheap on TV though."

Looked good to me.

"If you cant get more than 3000 on a Friday night then you may as well play at noon on a Wednesday. Traffic problems and issues getting there? I can sympathise, but this is not unique to Brisbane only."

I'm not sure any other capital city NBL teams play games at 6.30pm on a Friday out in the suburbs. Would be good to give them a chance by allowing them some 7.30pm or even 7pm Friday games. That said they do have a lot of work to do to build their fan base.

Reply #767516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Would be good to give them a chance by allowing them some 7.30pm or even 7pm Friday games.

You would if you abided by daylight saving like the rest of the country.

Reply #767517 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

You would if you abided by daylight saving like the rest of the country.

Rest of the country doesn't have daylight saving.

In Australia, Daylight saving is observed in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, the Australian Capital Territory and Norfolk Island. Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Christmas Island or the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

Fades the cows and puts the curtains off their milk, everyone knows that :)

Reply #767518 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We aren't allowed to have daylight saving in WA since it stands for Wait Awhile.

Reply #767520 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The DST states ought to abolish it. That's the real solution here.

Reply #767523 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Gordon

No daylight savings in Eucla region either (Australian Central Western Time).

Other time zone anomalies are Broken Hill area (uses ACDT), "train time" on The Indian Pacific and Lord Howe Island Time (30 min ahead of NSW/ AEST in standard time, same time during Daylight Saving). I'd love to know what what time zone is used for the Australian Antarctic Territory (or Australian Antarctic Penguin Time).

Reply #767535 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

KR

Won't happen, because DST makes sense in redistributing daylight hours to the end of the day. It allows people to engage in outdoor recreation after day shift working hours.

On the Qld/NSW border it helps to spread the traffic a bit more in peak hour on the M1/Pacific Hwy. I’m loving being able to sleep in for early morning trips to Brisbane. People who work in NSW time and live in Qld also get the same benefit of more daylight hours after returning home from work.

If legal papers need to be lodged with a Federal Court, eastern states law firms can gain an extra 2/3 hours (depending on Daylight Savings status) by lodging them in Perth, supposedly. Don’t think I’d trust lawyers who need that to finish their work on time though.

We can catch tv shows we’ve missed, by watching Gold Coast channels an hour after NSW start times.

In Tweed/Coolangatta mobile phones switch between towers, and therefore time changes by an hour each way, at this time of year. You can be in 3 different time zones at once if you’re inside Time Zone Coolangatta.

Reply #767538 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The DST states ought to abolish it. That's the real solution here.

Typical backward Perth mentality on display right here. We need DST.
You can be in 3 different time zones at once if you're inside Time Zone Coolangatta.

Haha, who can forget this. Classic.

Reply #767542 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why do we need DST?

Reply #767555 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In WA?

Reply #767559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Anywhere, really. Screwing with your sleep schedule like that is incredibly bad for you.

Reply #767563 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I actually googled Antarctic time zones. According to timeanddate.com there is no actual Australian Antarctic Penguin Time. I am most disappointed.

"What is the Time Zone at the South Pole?
The Earth's longitudes meet on the geographical South Pole in Antarctica. This means that, in theory, any of the world's time zones could be used there. However, since it is usually accessed via New Zealand, the Amundsen-Scott station located on the South Pole observes New Zealand Standard Time (NZST) during standard time and New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT) during the DST.
Arctic Stations on Their Own Time
Since Antarctica is largely uninhabited, the continent is not officially divided up into time zones. However, there are a number of research stations, each of which observes its own local time. Some stations use the time zone of the country that operates or supplies them, others observe the local time of countries nearby.
For example, Palmer Station is a United States research station, but it keeps Chile Summer Time (CLST) as Chile is the closest country.
McMurdo Station, however, follows New Zealand Standard Time (NZST) during standard time and New Zealand Daylight Time (NZDT) during the Daylight Saving Time (DST) period in New Zealand.
Troll Station changes between Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and Central European Summer Time (CEST), which are 2 hours apart."

There is a Mawson Station time also, which is the Australian base there. It's GMT (or UTC or Zulu Time) Plus 5 hours. That puts it in line with Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Karachi, Lahore and Southern France zone, amongst others.

Reply #767565 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Personally I prefer extra sunshine while awake.

Sleep issues are fixed with it too - even with DST the sun would set at 8-8:30PM so it's a non-issue. What actually screws with sleep is intense sunlight at 5:30AM without the adjustment.

Reply #767586 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What screws with sleep is going to work at 9am for six months and then suddenly having to wake up an hour earlier to get to work at 8am.

Reply #767597 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I don't think Daylight Saving could be observed in Antarctica.

Reply #767599 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Funnily enough I had a client who worked on Penguin Island and then Mawson station. I recall checking e-mail headers to see what time zone he was in on base.

Reply #767601 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Is Penguin Island on the Mawson time zone?

Mawson Station Coordinates: 67.6033° S, 62.8742° E
Penguin Island coordinates: 32.3057° S, 115.6906° E

So it's about 1/6 of 360 deg difference in longitude, or 1/6 of a world away longitudinally (not that the distance would be much that close to the pole).

These things are important.

Reply #767618 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I got the name of the island wrong. It was Macquarie Island - home of the royal penguins.

Reply #767624 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

MI 54.6208° S, 158.8556° E

Currently on AEDT

Reply #767627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul,

It wasn't "slowing opposition teams" it was slowing themselves! Literally suicide for the current game. The successful style of play is completely different in 2019 than it was in 2015! I think you misunderstood slowing the pace. I meant it was self imposed. The idea is to slow the other team but to play fast yourself. Slow the other team and run out.

Definitely not a tick at all.

Reply #767629 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The idea is to slow the other team but to play fast yourself.
[citation needed]

When you lack talent, you shorten the game to decrease the chances the other team has to build a lead. That means slowing both teams down.

Reply #767633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madness basketball. There is no world in 2019 where ANY team is trying to slow the game down at the offensive end! That is prehistoric! That is literally the ultimate goal of any defence is to slow a team down to get them under control. To willingly slow yourself down is suicide! Because when teams get a stop they dictate brute own offensive pace! Do you literally think that because one team is slowing down and playing slow that another team will? Absolutely crazy! That's a really dated game plan

Reply #767637 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It wasn't "slowing opposition teams" it was slowing themselves!"

Incorrect. You have to do both, and the Taipans were close to the best in the league at slowing opposition teams. Fearne's initial strategy was around not contesting offensive boards and having a highly-structured d-trans.

Then, after a few years of getting close he decided they needed extra possessions if they were going to win big games against the best teams. That's where they created the "tagging up" principle of o-boards/d-trans to enable them to do both.

This concept is now used by teams around the globe, but it was never as successful at slowing opponents as Fearne's original d-trans concept. In those earlier years the Taipans' defence was a very tough nut to crack.

Reply #767640 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Madness basketball. There is no world in 2019 where ANY team is trying to slow the game down at the offensive end! That is prehistoric!"

Out of interest, the top four teams in the NBL last season played at the slowest pace. It's about getting the ball into offence quickly, but not necessarily taking the quickest shot unless it's a good one.

Still one of the most effective methods in basketball is making opponents play defence for long periods throughout the game, through good execution and ball movement, and through offensive rebounding.

Reply #767642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's false. The offence's job is to find an action/situation that statistically benefits the offensive player. There is no offence that turns down the match up heyre looking for "slowing the pace down". They attack the second they have that no matter how long it takes. Will Weaver is the definatition of this! The old days of "don't attack cause we haven't taken enough time off the clock" are dead. Extremely dated.

Reply #767644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaver let's his side attack fast but there ball movement when there is no early shot is fantastic, Kickett looked like KD today he was so open. They were not first option shots. Obviously if you rebound and it’s coast to coast or a one pass lay up you don’t worry about the clock but to say Weaver just goes first pass shoot is BS.

Reply #767663 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"That's false. The offence's job is to find an action/situation that statistically benefits the offensive player."

Exactly. And that's why I wrote:

"It's about getting the ball into offence quickly, but not necessarily taking the quickest shot unless it's a good one."

Reply #767680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't understand how Cairns put their side together, Kelly had first hand knowledge of Melbourne's bench players, surely Smith-Milner, Adnam, Moller and even Jurlina who played in Cairns are better than Krislovic, Djeric and Deng. Cairns should get their Australian contingent right and get two good imports around them. Jawai was a good start but the rest looks poor. Kelly was such a good defensive player and he picks these blokes and others.

Reply #767694 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754