boti prod
Years ago

HOW FRUSTRATING IS THE SCOREBOARD???

I know that there has been a lot of talk about the scoreboard, but after wednesday nights game something has to be done, how many times did it fail?? please do something

Topic #4606 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it seemed to fail everytime after they put the advertising up. They got pretty quick by the end of the game at getting it reset.

Reply #53350 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

DITTO! I mentioned it on Talking Hoops on Tuesday and it DOES affect the players.
In the past we have heard comments about 'how much more the Dome scoreboard shows than anywhere else.'
Well that might be on the few times it works. I know at other places, Wollongong at least, the scoreboard will has players numbers with a light for each foul and total points next to the number.
Our 'BMW' scoreboard obviously can't handle 'booting up' after the sponsor advertisements have been shown' That's when it seemed to blank out most often last night.
As for which players are on court...that has been a problem for years. Don't know if that is system or people based?
Still, the lack of scoreboard is something for everyone at the game to be distracted by. Then maybe we won't notice how many foul shots are being missed this season compared with the past. ;)

Reply #53351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

VERY DISAPOINTED! All else right now is rosey for the Sixers and there supporters, but still these little amateur problems seem to creep inn.

Reply #53355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go work it yourself if you beleive you can do a better job

Reply #53373 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

How about having the current stats writen up on and excel document and placed onto the pig screen( it is hooked up to a computer anyway)

Reply #53375 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

it is a real black mark on the club. They have all year to get it ready and all week sometimes to test it out and it allways fails to work at some point. Its the single most important thing on game night and it just makes the club look b-rate.

While i'm venting where is the team posters for like the past 3 years! they have been missing for so long now it just looks stupid. What is the point of having the wall if its not up to date. On a good note the last couple of games have been great and the team is giving it their all.

Reply #53380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its the single most important thing on game night and it just makes the club look b-rate"

oh PLEASE

i would think the single most important thing would be getting the team on court, making sure the stadium is open, making sure their is ushers, vending machines, clean toilets.

without the players you can't have a game and beleive it or not the game does continue without a scoreboard.

Reply #53389 | Report this post

BMW  
Years ago

ok maybe joshua..... was a bit over the top but your response rings of being a bit defensive.

Maybe he/she struck a cord.

All the things you mentioned AND the scoreboard are a given.

Maybe you should re-read your note as you will discover that all the things you cover revolve or exist for "the spectators" - guess what so does the scoreboard!!

Reply #53397 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

The point is that whatever people are being paid to fix it, it still doesn't work. And it should! Otherwise, get rid of it and install something more basic with little light bulbs like they used to have at Apollo. Maybe that's still around in the back of someone's garage? ;)

Reply #53453 | Report this post

zapruder  
Years ago

Consider the relationship between the discussions on game day entertainment and the regular failure of the Scoreboard...

The venue is tired, it is rising 15 years old - and needs an overhaul, scoreboard included. The Chair of the 36ers said publicly some time back that the Stadium needed to be dipped in Domestos [or similar] - he was/is right

Whilst important to the experience, game day entertainment - and perhaps it is the only thing some people can influence in the short term - is surely a much much softer option to attend to financially than fixing some of the fundamental issues at hand, like reinvesting in the sports biggest asset and liability [fans notwithstanding] - the Dome.

A better stadium might draw more people to the sport relative to those drawn in by better entertainment?

This may be another reason to focus BASA's attention on its priorities, at least from a fans perspective...

Reply #53454 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The scary things Dana is that is the scoreboard from Apollo.

It would be pushing 25 years old.

Probably better off using the new screen for the stats although from what i have read on here that is hard to do.

Reply #53455 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It can't be that hard to get it up on the big screen, surely. There has to be a way to get it done. Any stats people want to drop me an email and see what can be done?

Reply #53456 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I say get the original scoreboard back from Athol Park. Different coloured lights for fouls - it was "fan"tastic.

Reply #53461 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

when i said it was the most important thing i take having the players there etc as a given. As a fan its the thing you need the most to enjoy the game to the fullest.

Reply #53504 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Cant the scoreboard be updated with a new computer system or is it too old?
It was posted before that parts for the scoreboard very expensive,because of its age.
If or when the sb is fixed , would be good to see more game stats on sb above the main entry.
More game stats on the new big screen is a great idea.

Reply #53527 | Report this post

Basket13  
Years ago

I test it before every game and it works fine. When the advertising scripts are run it takes the input of one of the teams personal fouls to activate the whole teams previous fouls likewise for scores, during the start of a quarter you wont be able to veiw player points until someone from the respective team has scored. Appears to be a problem only when running advertising, other than that the short delay before a team foul or score has occured to update the scoreboard, the rest is working perfectly. Need to update the whole system though so this dosent happen and posssibly (in my dreams) other stats can be shown, i.e shooting %, rebounds, assits, turnovers, minutes ect. as it shouldn't be to hard as the statistations are continously recording this information and to display the already recorded information isn't(shouldn't) be a problem. Hope I don't get gunned down, ( But really it is possible )

Reply #53532 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

When you think about it you don't really need to worry about all of the info on the scoreboard....only the score!!

as a season ticket holder i don't have any major issues with the scoreboard because it seems to work most of the time. the only thing that frustrates me is when you see the scorers have to put the total team score back on.

Reply #53539 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have asked around a bit: the statisticians use CyberSports Basketball which has a "Game Monitor" feature. This can be run on the same computer, or on another over a network connection (can use a wireless card or not).

Game Monitor can publish a live boxscore at a specified interval (e.g., 30 seconds) via FTP to the web. From that, I have my ABL/Blitz Stats scripts that can parse the boxscore on the fly and output something suitable for the bigscreen (e.g., player, points, rebounds, assists, shooting stats, fouls). If the NBL don't want the club publishing that live boxscore (or they already use it for their own live scoring), you set up Game Monitor on a second-hand desktop box (everyone has one lying around) under the desk publishing it to a local FTP location, and then parse the scores on that under-desk box and output straight to the screen.

Cost: crap old computer for a couple hundred dollars, and my time. Offset that with stats sponsorship (I'll source it even), and it's free.

Reply #53544 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

either way it just need to be improved. If the thing ie the ads stuffing up the score is true before each quarter or half just end the ads and put a foul on a player and then remove it straight away. Would that not trigger the updating as the person mentioned above.

Reply #53554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort to work an alternative to the scoreboard, but not everybody can see the big screen from where they sit!

I guess it's a start though.

Reply #53649 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Assuming the stats can be displayed to the big screen successfully and I don't see why not. Is it possible to replace the scoreboards with big screens?

The screens should be able to display a better sponsorship logo and double for other things as well as stats.

Reply #53671 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

I currently do stats for the 36ers, and what Isaac is saying wouldn't be too hard. We already run 2 computers, and also have a wireless netowrk setup with internet access. This is all supplied by our sponsor, Business IT Solutions.

Currently we don't use the game monitor function, but would be extremely easy to set up. We use another stats program that marries in with CyberSports to supply the NBL with their live boxscores, but whether they (NBL) would let us use that feed aswell is another question.

I know I have no dramas seeing the whole stats while i'm sitting on the bench, but as a season ticket holder aswell i've sat in the stands and seen the scoreboard not working, and it's frustrating. I'm sure something better can be worked out

Reply #53680 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754