Zodiac
Years ago

Melb United vs LA Clippers, 14th Oct

Melbourne had the lead at half-time but the Clippers have put their foot down in this quarter currently up 86-69 late in the 3rd quarter.

Topic #46061 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Clippers up 100-85 with 7:29 left in the 4th.

Reply #767833 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

100-87 now on the Long dunk with just over 7 minutes to go, still a slight chance here.

Reply #767835 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

109-94 SBS stream keeps dying fuck this.

Reply #767836 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

118-100 loss for Melbourne.

I think overall it's a fairly commendable effort. Melbourne looked every part an NBA team for three quarters but just had one quarter where it seemed like everything went wrong. In the end, we're left with probably the most competitive game of this NBA/NBL tour, and Melbourne still have one more to go to push their case to be the first NBL team to beat an NBA team. For most of today's game it looked entirely within their grasp.

I think one thing that turned the game for the Clippers is they did a better job on Goulding. They cut his offense down and then found their own. And when they found their own, boy did they find it. They were 12 of 14 from the field on their streak and never looked back.

Anyway, games like this justify the series, show us to be a good league, and are actually good promotion. Adelaide so far is the embarrassment of the series but judging on everything I've seen of them, they're going to embarrass themselves all the way to 7-9th this season.

Reply #767837 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

While they continue to top up with extra imports, its clear that we're a long way behind.

Reply #767838 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"While they continue to top up with extra imports, its clear that we're a long way behind.

"

Those imports barely played and weren't really contributors.

Reply #767839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne would have preferred to have their full team rather than a couple of ring-ins to play some bench minutes. A good effort, obviously LAC below full strength but the talent gap between the two teams wasn't huge.

It's a shame Sydney or Perth weren't involved this year, they and a full-strength Melbourne were the teams capable of giving it a shove. NZ did ok too I suppose.

Reply #767841 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Kind of knew Adelaide were in trouble when they got knocked off by the Gileas in one of the pre-season games.

Reply #767845 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Makes it hard when your opponent plays 14 imports

Reply #767846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not sure a feed from the arena's big screens with robot radio commentary justifies much of anything TBH. A TV broadcast needs to be a minimum requirement going forward.

Reply #767847 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Those imports barely played and weren't really contributors. "

They still felt the need to have them. If you're gonna play and talk up how our league can match it with theirs, do it with a team that can play in our league.

Reply #767848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL teams can hang in there, sometimes, but really lose the plot late in quarters. Unsurprising given the lengthier format.

Reply #767850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel the league should be doing what they can to bring European teams to Aus for pre-season to actually see if we can compete with them. I know NBA is the biggest stage and Euro teams are unknown but while the big teams are flown to USA why don't the teams not going take on decent oppo

Reply #767857 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"I feel the league should be doing what they can to bring European teams to Aus for pre-season to actually see if we can compete with them. I know NBA is the biggest stage and Euro teams are unknown but while the big teams are flown to USA why don't the teams not going take on decent oppo"

Publicity is the name of the game, and the fact that those other teams are unknown means the costs aren't worth it to the NBL. You'd probably have more competitive games with Euroleague teams and probably sneak some wins but the average hoops fan doesn't know anything about them.

Reply #767886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They still felt the need to have them."

Because they had players out injured. Most NBL teams play with their regular roster if they don't have injuries.

Reply #767891 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And they replaced them with better players. If you want to talk about strength of your team/league, depth is part of that. Injuries are part of sport. They should have replaced the players with who they would have replaced them with in an NBL game.

Reply #767900 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"And they replaced them with better players. If you want to talk about strength of your team/league, depth is part of that. Injuries are part of sport. They should have replaced the players with who they would have replaced them with in an NBL game."

The players had no effect on the game that Barlow or Prather probably wouldn't have had. Working in new players to a rotation generally puts you at a disadvantage unless the players are a step above. Those two players didn't prove to be above the team and basically every other Melbourne United player was more influential than either of them. If they'd both top scored or did anything of relevance I'd see your point, but Melbourne did it with minimal contribution from them at all.

Reply #767906 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Then why have them? Why not give those minutes to your young players? Its a cop out.

Reply #767907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is a cop out.
In saying that the concept of nbl v nba is still good for the game, Sydney and Perth would have been good. Weaver has kings playing well and Gleeson always has Perth there about.
If they could get a euro team game in Australia or Europe would be good as well.

Reply #767911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And they replaced them with better players."

They are not better than the players they are replacing in Melbourne's system, as their output showed.

"They should have replaced the players with who they would have replaced them with in an NBL game."

Fly replacement guys over to the US when they're not part of your plans or just get guys who are already in the US? I reckon I'd take the latter. It has the added bonus of creating relationships with those guys in case they come on the radar in the future.

Reply #767943 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah I think Cram is being a bit unreasonable here. I mean, Barlow and Prather don't have local replacements really as it is for NBL games so why are we manufacturing them for these games? In the end, 99.9 percent of everything was done by the main United guys. And they played pretty well for the vast majority of the game. Very happy with the signs I saw from them as an NBL fan. No one looked out of their depth.

Reply #767960 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"And they replaced them with better players."

Did you see the game? The ring-ins weren't bad, but they were the culprits of numerous poor defensive rotations. You could also see the offense visibly stall at times when they were on.

I took the decision as boosting numbers for a 48 minute game when key rotation players are injured. Saves flying an extra player in too.

The NBL teams at this stage have little incentive to put effort in. Really go all out for the win when the regular season is under way? Some games have reflected that IMO.

Reply #768026 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Boosting numbers when they had guys actually on their roster barely play?

If I'm being unreasonable its because I think seeing an actual NBL team compete is more impressive than a team that couldn't suit up in the NBL.

Reply #768037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL teams at this stage have little incentive to put effort in. Really go all out for the win when the regular season is under way? Some games have reflected that IMO."

Agreed.

Reply #768042 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Cram, you already acknowledge the talent and depth disparity between NBL and NBA teams. Two injured starter-level players on an NBL team makes a big difference; replacing them with ring-ins helps consolidate some depth, which has always been an issue for NBL teams that are not accustomed to 48 minute games. Taking the 'not genuine NBL team' argument, then of course bringing ring-ins adds to that; but if the choice is between getting demolished at the end of the game due to lack of depth, or having a chance to push for a close finish, would you care to speculate what United (and probably the NBA team) and most fans would prefer to see? By the way, surely United would take a healthy Pranther and Barlow above the two ring-ins in these games.

Reply #768111 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Also worth noting that the NBA teams haven't even made their final cuts yet, so they have a depth advantage to begin with.

Reply #768127 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Depth is a test of talent. If you're gonna claim you can compete, do it with a squad that could legally compete in the NBL. They took guys who ARE a part of their squad who barely played. Use them.

I acknowledge they would have preferred Prather and Barlow, but they did also do this another year with only one injured player, bringing in 3 ring ins.

"Also worth noting that the NBA teams haven't even made their final cuts yet, so they have a depth advantage to begin with"

They also didn't have ANY of their top players.

All I'm saying is, if the NBL really believes the stuff they're saying about being able to compete with an NBA team, you should do it with your own team. Bringing in these guys is clear admission that they don't believe that.

Reply #768146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most teams do it with their usual roster, that's the point.

It's pretty much just teams with injuries who bring in replacements, which is a much better idea than running your players mega minutes in a meaningless game when you have to get back across the other side of the world and play an important game a few days later.

Reply #768156 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

But they had guys who made the trip who played a few minutes each...

Reply #768209 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And they also don't get many minutes in NBL games.

It's not like the ring-ins played much.
Quincy Miller played 12 minutes.
Anthony Brown played 18 minutes.

The only players who played less were Dillon Stith (4 min) and Sam Short (2 min). As an example of their usual playing time, Stith played 2 minutes against SEM, while Short was a DNP. They played more in Perth when Goulding was out. Minutes will diminish when Prather and Barlow return.

Are you sure you think more PT for end of benchers against NBA opposition is the way to go?

Reply #768217 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

If that's their team, and you want to claim that your team can compete with an NBA team, yes.

This idea that "they didn't play much and didn't do much anyway" living at the same time as "do you really want NBL end of bench guys playing minutes against NBA guys?" again shows the real understanding of where the leagues are at and that the whole idea that NBL teams can compete with NBA teams is bunk.

Reply #768227 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754