D2.0
Years ago

Wildcats v Taipans Fri 18th - 6:30pm @ RAC Arena

If a Wild Cat ever tussled with an actual Taipan, I'd suggest that like most things it would be dead in a matter of minutes.

Fortunately encounters in the Jungle are much more friendly, as we catch up with a lot of old friends. Sadly this will be their only trip West this season.
It’s no coincidence that the Cairns Orange looks just like Red that has been in the sun too long, as in the past the Taipans have sported several former Wildcats. This season it is limited to perennial crowd favourite Nate Jawai, Ladies’ favourite Jarrod Kenny, and Ballarat’s favourite Anthony Fisher. Plus Assistant Coach Jamie O'Loughlin.

The Wildcats continue their dream start to the season, with a 3rd Consecutive Home Game, and on a Fan-Favourite Friday evening.
But don’t be thinking this is going to be a Snake-Walk. Last I checked, the humble Taipans were in fact the only team to have won their last game in Perth.

So whilst the Cats will be out for revenge, Cairns will be hoping to post their first win for the season.

I will confess to slightly mixed loyalties, as my fantasy team is currently stacked with Taipans. They have continued their tradition of locating gun import Point Guards. Machato has been impressive so far, so will be interesting to see how he copes with the tag-team of Martin and Norton. Sudanese-Aussie Noi has been outstanding in his rookie debut but will need to be a lot more accurate if he’s to have an impact against the Perth Defence.

DJ Newbill is back and seems to be in good touch. Between him, Cotton, and White, I expect to see it raining threes.

But inside the paint is where its at. Cairns have the ability to field their own version of "The Wall" including the man-mountain himself. They will have their work cut out against Boomer Kay, a reborn Majok, and Hunt who is improving with every game.
I’m just going to have to close my eyes every time Dario shoots Free-Throws.

Perth must then travel to Melbourne for Sunday Lunch with the in-laws, and will be hoping to end the weekend on top of the ladder 4-zip.
So the PLAN will be to crush the snakes early and run the bench. But as the saying goes, no plan survives first contact with a Taipan.

Considering how crap we were in game one, and how crap the opposition in game two, this could be the biggest test so far, and the snakes may bite us in the arse if we’re not focussed.

Topic #46084 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Jack Toft where are you? these write ups are best done by you.

Perth to win.

Reply #768464 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

The Wildcats have a tendency to take these games lightly (especially when their next game is a big one @ MEL).

Machado, Newbill and Oliver are a very decent combo, could even be the best bang for buck combo in the league.

If Newbill can be clutch again, look out Perth. Newbill's step back seems to be more accurate than before (one game sample space).

Reply #768466 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

WTF did I just read? Yikes!

Reply #768507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm looking for Hunt to blow by Nate at every opportunity, however Nate should have a distinct advantage backing him down in the block. Will be a great little battle to watch.

Reply #768522 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I'm looking for Hunt to blow by Nate at every opportunity, however Nate should have a distinct advantage backing him down in the block. Will be a great little battle to watch. "

Will be interesting to see how the calls go. Dario gave away easy easy fouls in game one, and Nate usually gets mugged by the Refs at both ends.

I personally don't like all this "small ball" and I'm tired of watching the refs take big players out of the game.
I want to see the big boys crashing the glass, and to be able to see if Dario is up for it.

Reply #768523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand why people are liking Machado, ball pounding turnover merchant, especially down the stretch

Reply #768527 | Report this post

A.  
Years ago

We need 48min games before the big boys will be relevant again.

Reply #768528 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Tipping a cheeky upset.

Agree with Lovebroker in that the Cats take these types of games easy. Snakes to get off to a good start before Perth's customary third-quarter run. But Taipans to out-execute Perth in the clutch, just to give fans false hope that this season could actually be something.

Taipans to win the first quarter would be the value play, should get at least $3.00 on that

Reply #768533 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

td;dr

Cats comfortably

Reply #768540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive upset looming in this game, Perth to win the first half.

Reply #768555 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Perth comfortably and you've stacked your fantasy team with the wrong side.

Reply #768564 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Perth have a great schedule but no a lot of fantasy $$$$ to be made from their roster. Cairns had a few more growth potential assets.

Reply #768580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz's match preview was better than Jack and his tired old jokes.

Reply #768586 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

More growth options in fantasy yes, but they're not going to compare to Cotton and Kay's scoring with 3 weeks of doubles in a row. Money making is a factor, I'm attempting a more aggressive approach now after the first round Didi debacle!

Reply #768591 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

But are Cotton and or Kay going to score many more than a few NZers at half their price and with one more game?

Reply #768597 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

That's the question isn't it? I've been tossing up between Hopson or Cotton all week, I can get either and still have enough cash for Long next week which I think is a must.

Reply #768601 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Yes. I may pass on Kay to be honest. Lose a few points but more chance of a cash injection.

Reply #768605 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Need a good balance of cash and points I guess. I had Kay from round 1 as he is one of the best captain options especially on the double. I've decided on Cotton this week and Hopson next week, need to plan out weeks in advance, after rounds 5/6 the doubles kind of dry up for a while.

Reply #768606 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Tipping a cheeky upset.

Agree with Lovebroker in that the Cats take these types of games easy. Snakes to get off to a good start before Perth's customary third-quarter run. But Taipans to out-execute Perth in the clutch, just to give fans false hope that this season could actually be something.

Get on board the Taipans caboose!

Reply #768639 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The clean feed is amazing.

Reply #768721 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Just got kicked out by SBS on demand. Stupid service.

Reply #768726 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

SBS pffft - Twitch is flawless with no login required.

Reply #768727 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

With Twitch can you stop those Sidious comments?

Does Twitch show ads?

Reply #768728 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No commentary and no ads!

Reply #768729 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You get on, Perthworld?

First quarter cash money

Reply #768730 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I thought the hot bet was HT/FT?

Reply #768731 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

NBL on WhatsApp 0425 139 414.

Reply #768732 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Manu oh you meant my post earlier. I was purely making a bullet train reference #TaipanCaboose

Reply #768733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boo loud enough and get a block turned into a charge

Reply #768734 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha no, my first quarter tip, PW

Reply #768735 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Well it wasnt a block for 1.

But it shouldn't have been overturned, even though they made the wrong call

Reply #768737 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Mike Kelly taking notes from PBA

Reply #768738 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Taipans HT streak continues. Impressive.

Reply #768739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love that Cairns first half win at $5.10

Reply #768740 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Thanks Perth world. Is that WhatsApp number the same for every game?

Reply #768742 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So the entire starting five for Cairns is black. When was the last time this occurred in the NBL (if at all)?

Reply #768743 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hoping for more Gleeson pig squeals in refs' ears in the second half.

Nice work on the HT payout anon. You thought it was gone midway through the second hey?

Reply #768744 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

0425 139 414 no one is talking

Reply #768745 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wilburs no idea but I would assume so - I just saw the number on the screen.

Reply #768746 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's WhatsApp. You text it.

Reply #768748 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Fuck this third quarter is hilarious

Reply #768749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steindl is terrible

Reply #768750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats looking scaredy, snakes looking deadly

Reply #768751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good old coaching there. Just throw the bench on with no direction and expect different results.

Reply #768752 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Hahahaha mannnnn this is brilliant

Reply #768753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice coaching by Gleeson that statement coaching will work one day.

Reply #768754 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Twitch has turned to shits

Reply #768755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

CNS lead by 20+ now. LOL, it's going to be action packed on tonight.

Reply #768756 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

on here tonight.*

Reply #768757 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So who's gonna start the sack Gleeson thread?

Reply #768758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

FT PER 75-99 CNS

Reply #768759 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

or 76. Useless graphics.

Reply #768760 | Report this post

GordonG47  
Years ago

$9.45 on Sportsbet :)

Reply #768761 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Drink it in boys

Reply #768762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachy is fkn salty having to interview Oliver postgame while the team he has a boner for just got pumped

Reply #768763 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All aboard! This classic Little Golden Book, originally published in 1953, tells the tale of a charming red caboose who wants nothing more than to be as popular as the big steam engine at the front of the train. Boys and girls will love the inspiring tale and the colorful illustrations by Tibor Gergely.

#TaipanCaboose

Reply #768764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck these 1-sided commentators.

Reply #768765 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Little Cairns caboose showed the big steam Perth engine.

Bullet train last season got derailed, let's see what happens with the Taipans caboose.

Reply #768766 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Arguably the greatest result in basketball history.

Reply #768767 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Great performance by Cairns it was a well deserved victory. Oliver especially was just awesome! Their import trio on form are the best in the league right now

Reply #768768 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

And Steindl is just trash

Reply #768769 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Should of played Hunt for longer. Shooting a good clip. 8 points, 8 rebounds in 13 minutes. Deserved more.

Reply #768770 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

What does keep lines open for melts and pressers

Reply #768773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand Zodiac and Manu stroking themselves over this result, tug away fellas but I also have a feeling Perthworld isn't actually a Perth supporter either.

Congratulations to Cairns though.
For Deng leaving Adelaide has paid off.

Reply #768775 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I like underdogs and roasting Manu's bullet train with my own take. Perfect combo tonight.

Reply #768777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leaves Melbourne, NZ and of course Adelaide as winless teams now.

Who will be last to register a victory?

Reply #768779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So who's gonna start the sack Gleeson thread"

Probably an Adelaide person because of the fact they aren't over Joey punching our assistant coach a few seasons ago.

Reply #768780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love the experts here who were so wrong.

Reply #768781 | Report this post

Perth Drongos  
Years ago

Should of played Hunt for longer. Shooting a good clip. 8 points, 8 rebounds in 13 minutes. Deserved more.

Yeah should have played Britt more, he was really impressive in his 42 seconds.

Reply #768789 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That was amazing.

Reply #768790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth Drongos said
"Should of played Hunt for longer. Shooting a good clip. 8 points, 8 rebounds in 13 minutes. Deserved more.
Yeah should have played Britt more, he was really impressive in his 42 seconds"

Thanks for your first and hopefully last meaningless post. Shame you didn't give us your game ananylis BEFORE the game was lost.
Without doubt this is an absolute boil over probably in the last decade or more.
The hapless Taipans in round 3 with zero wins managae to be the Perth Pretenders.
Fantastic!!

Reply #768791 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Can't wait for the Taipans to post about the win on their Facebook page so I can give it a like

Reply #768809 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As some of us articulated above, if you disrespect the Taipans, they will bite you in the arse.

On the plus side its great for the league to see that Cairns has once again assembled a competitive unit on a limited budget.

Machado led the way, backed by 70% shooting. He definitely won the battle with Perth's defensive guards.

As I predicted the game was won & lost inside the paint. Perth just had no answer to Cairns' size, strength, and athleticism. They outscored the Cats by 20 points inside.
Jawai was "unlucky" and missed a few "easy" shots, but was dominant in the paint, hauled in nine boards and was his usual intimidating presence on D. It's nice to see the big man happy & healthy back home in FNQ, but gees wish we had him on our bench.
Oliver is exactly what you want in an undersized Centre, strong, athletic, and with a kickarse outside shot. Effectively allowing him to play as a stretch-4 for much of the game. Somebody above suggested that Cairns might have the best bargain trio of imports. At this point (with Prather injured) I'd be inclined to omit the bargain bit.

For Perth, Cotton and Kay did their usual best to carry the team, but the shots just weren't dropping.

But mostly it was our D (or lack thereof) that let us down. Can't really single anyone out, just poor all-round.

Reply #768839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can't really single anyone out. except Hunt who you started a thread about right after the game because he is not a good matchup for Jawai. but can't really single anyone out.

Reply #768840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754